Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-25-2021, 11:26 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Do emotions tie into health?

We have already established that I have weird health issues, but I was wondering if I am the only one who feels like their emotions are tied pretty closely to their health.

For example, every time I get upset and cry, I end up with a sinus issue, which is why I try not to cry at all. I got upset on Friday and cried and on Saturday, I had a sinus infection. Doctor diagnosed today.

Also, If I get upset about something, I end up feeling totally exhausted later. Like all my energy has been sapped and it takes days to recover.

My one aunt has told me that I am cold and not at all emotional, but to be honest, I work hard not to be emotional because I always feel horrible after a bout of negative emotions. She doesn't get that at all, and says it is ridiculous, but I swear it is true.

Do any of you experience anything similar? I would love to think it is normal for some people and not that I am just a huge drama queen who gets so worked up, I make myself sick.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a firm believer that emotions are tied to health. When I get upset about something I'm like you, I am drained of all energy to the point where I need to lie down. Lately, when I get nervous, like when I have a dental appointment for instance, my system goes into overdrive and I feel nauseous and get serious stomach cramps. I've had to cancel appointments because I get too sick and I know it's because of the nerves. So, no you are definitely not alone!

Old 10-26-2021, 05:58 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I 500% it is all connected. Some even argue that cancer can be caused excessive amount of prolonged stress as our bodies by nature are only meant to handle stress in small amounts (no research to support this cancer theory). I personally feel that is why mental health is important as it our minds working with our emotions to process everything.

I get what you are saying about being emotionally drained. I worked in organ and tissue donation for over 10 years and many times I had to interact with the donor families and afterwards I could crash for like 8 hours stressed as the emotional drain would leave me so physically exhausted.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:50 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh most definitely emotions are tied into health.

If things are bothering me or I’m stressed and it’s been building, my left shin breaks out in a rash/eczema type bumps and itchy. My oncologist called it stress induced eczema. I have to then sit and figure out what it is, usually something that’s been festering or I’m worrying about something in the future. I can feel it start to flare right now and it’s worrying about my dad with his fall. I also used to get migraines that were caused by stress/anxiety and weather, hard to cut out those triggers. Now I just regular headaches.

Completely understand the emotionally drained part, that was me last week between my dad, worrying about my, a student making a disclosure and another one who went of her meds, causing her to relapse. Saturday I spent the day napping on and off.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You are definitely not alone. Stress and stress hormones do terrible thing physiologically to our bodies. I am reading a book right now about how even an over influx of those hormones in childhood while you are still developing can negatively impact your whole life, health wise.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh for sure! If I get super stressed, I my HS flairs up.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

With everyone else here....emotions are 100% tied to health!

Old 10-26-2021, 09:03 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

So glad to know I am not alone in this and that my aunt is wrong. I would call her up and tell her so, but it would just upset me and I am finally starting to feel better so the heck with that.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Lorie, you are neither crazy nor alone. There is a definite link between our emotions and our health; in fact, people who aren't physically affected by stress are the ones I would call cold or emotionless!

There's even scientific backing for what you describe. When we're under stress, we automatically go into flight-or-fight mode and our brain triggers a series of hormones that cause a release of:
  • adrenaline (epinephrine), which increases heart rate, blood pressure, respiratory rate, blood glucose, blood flow, and muscle tension;
  • noradrenaline (norepinephrine), which increases alertness and focus to danger,
  • and Cortisol, which increases blood glucose, suppresses the immune system, and helps you metabolise carbs, proteins, and fat.
In a true physical emergency, that's a good thing. Basically, your body is preparing for battle - shutting down the unnecessary systems like your digestive system and your immune system - and ramping up the vital systems that will keep you alive through this crisis.

All of that was great ... until we stopped having to fight for our food, and our homes, and our lives on a regular basis. Civilization and industrialization is a wonderful thing, don't get me wrong, but now when we're under stress, it's a different kind of stress, but our bodies can't tell the difference between "oh my God, I have so much work that just got dumped on me and I'm afraid I'm going to lose my job and my kid is sick and I can't afford to take another day off to take care of them and I have to remember to pick up groceries on the way home and the car is making a funny noise and did my husband remember to pick up the dry cleaning?" and the kind of danger that's staring you in the face about to literally end your life. Either way, your brain releases the same hormones, and your body turns on and shuts down the same systems.

So for those of us who are Type A personalities, perfectionists, working high-stress jobs, living high-stress lives, any or all of the above, we live in a near constant state of flight-or-fight. Which means we have high levels of those hormones in our systems, and they do damage to our bodies over time.

Suppressed immune systems.
Higher rate of infections & illness.
Elevated blood glucose that's hard to get under control.
High blood pressure.
Digestive issues.
Fatigue.
Weight gain.
Osteoporosis.
Accelerated aging process visible in your skin - age spots & wrinkles.
Anxiety & mood swings.
Poor sleep.

So, yeah. It's not in your head. You're not crazy. And you're definitely not alone. My name is Angie, and I'm a card-carrying member of this club.

(My weird health issues: chronic treatment-resistant migraine disease, grade IV endometriosis & uterine fibroids necessitated hysterectomy & oophorectomy @ age 34, surgery trauma to body kicked off Chronic Fatigue Immune Deficiency Syndrome & Fibromyalgia Syndrome. In a nutshell...)

Writing & creating (but mostly writing) for The Sweet Shoppe!
Old 10-26-2021, 10:09 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the scientific explanation, Angie. That all makes so much sense to me. I am definitely a card carrying member of the club too.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh yeah! When I am stressed my heart rate is racing more than usual and I get headaches a lot. I sleep a lot when I am stressed...my body's way of shutting down and healing. I don't get "sick" a lot but headaches and body aches are a common way of life. My heart rate sits at about 80 to 90 most days but will easily go to 120 or even 150s just sitting on the couch, the heat will send me to the 170s or 180s (I live in South Texas..it is always hot). The bad days really wear me out. Hubby so doesn't understand at all. I have something called Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia (a fancy way of saying your heart rate spikes and we don't know exactly why).

You can also find that a lot of ailments are also related to gut health. If your gut is unhealthy you can have a lot of issues. We don't talk about gut health a lot or pooping for that matter...LOL We should though...it is related to a lot of things. I am severely allergic to cats (eyes swell shut, itchy throat and more) but now that I have worked on my gut health I experience lesser symptoms. My gut health is not 100% perfect but way better than it used to be.
Old 10-30-2021, 12:39 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
You can also find that a lot of ailments are also related to gut health. If your gut is unhealthy you can have a lot of issues. We don't talk about gut health a lot or pooping for that matter...LOL We should though...it is related to a lot of things. I am severely allergic to cats (eyes swell shut, itchy throat and more) but now that I have worked on my gut health I experience lesser symptoms. My gut health is not 100% perfect but way better than it used to be.
I totally believe this and have been working on mine, but still have a ways to go. I had no clue how much it would change as I got older. Like you said, no one talks about pooping and how it can change and affect you with age. It's a big, stinky deal!
Old 10-30-2021, 12:53 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Absolutely! One of the foundational flaws in our society's approach to healthcare is the persistence of the mistaken notion that mental and physical health are separate and can be treated separately.
Old 10-31-2021, 02:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my gosh, yes!!

When I was a teenager I dealt with a lot of anxiety and depression. I was super emotional and I was sick all the time. Everything from stomach aches and nausea to horrific headaches and then hives.

I went through a period of time when I was angry a lot. I always felt bad and I had horrible insomnia. I had strep throat several times a year and I constantly had a sinus infection.

These days my emotions are pretty balanced. I don't get sick often. I don't have headaches often (after living with one for most of my life) and I sleep well. Its crazy the difference.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thank each and every one of your for your replies. You've made me feel better, educated me and even made me laugh. I think I will listen to your wisdom and pay more attention to my emotional health, as well as my physical health and hopefully feel much better in the upcoming year.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm with you all on this subject. I work a high stress job as a fire dispatcher, and I feel the difference almost immediately when I'm on holiday compared to when I'm working. I feel it in so many different ways, but definitely in my gut health, as Kimberly pointed out. That's something I've been working on improving this past year, as well as my health in general.