Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-21-2017, 07:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default who saw the eclipse?

We had some friends over and had a little eclipse-watching brunch. We didn't see totality here in AZ but it was still pretty cool. Our local schools would not let the kids watch the eclipse or go outside during it but they did allow kids to take the day as an excused absence so my son stayed home for the day.

What about you? Did you see the eclipse?
Old 08-21-2017, 08:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes!! It was so amazing. I work with some of the top scientists in the world so they had different types of glasses and pieces of glass you could look though. The only sad thing is that we weren't allowed to take photos so I may have to steal some that my brother took in Idaho and journal about it!!
Old 08-21-2017, 08:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We did! Seattle had 92% coverage. It was pretty cool that is got cooler as the coverage increased. We live adjacent to the park in Seattle that has the highest elevation, so there was a pretty nice crowd out.

ETA (pretty underwhelming photo):

Last edited by SeattleSheri; 08-21-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I did! I also tried to take photos using eclipse glasses as a filter on the camera, but unsurprisingly, my setup wasn't enough to see the detail that we could with our eyes and the glasses.

We were expecting about 85% coverage here (near Washington, DC). Five minutes before the maximum we had a 10-minute thunderstorm come up out of nowhere and block out the sun. So I saw the eclipse before and after the storm, but I don't know what the actual percentage covered was then. I was surprised at how light it stayed throughout--if we hadn't known it was an eclipse, we would have thought it was just darkening due to the storm clouds. It's gotten a lot darker here during bad storms than it did during the eclipse.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:28 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I think I must be the ONLY idiot that looked straight at it. I'm such a doofus!! I put them on to walk outside of work, couldn't see where I was going, so I took them off....as soon as I got outside I looked straight up at it.....I think I thought I still had the stupid things on. UGH!!!! Only I would do something like that.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:11 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I live in Portland, OR and we had 99.2% totality. There was just a tiny sliver of sun at the top. It was very cool to watch. I was glad to have the eclipse glasses instead of using the box method that we used when I was a kid in 1979. I didn't get any good photos but thankfully the internet is full of photos!
Old 08-21-2017, 11:24 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We watched it at a friend's house. It was 80% totality, so it never got very dark. Our friends had the glasses and I brought several pinhole projectors. The glasses were the way to go! Glad we were able to see it through them. The kids actually found the crescent shaped light and shadows on the ground to be the most interesting thing. Next eclipse, I'm definitely going to take the effort to go where there's complete totality so we can really experience it fully.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:04 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We did, even though I was feeling dizzy this morning I tried hard to check on it every 5 minutes so my daughter could check it out because this is her first time to experince a total eclipse. But I think if it's up to her she'll just check it on the news on tv. Lol.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:53 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Only partial here in California...there were a bunch of us standing outside though trying to catch it with the couple of safety glasses that we had.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I only saw it on my FB & Instagram feeds, and everytime it popped up, I felt afraid that I was going to ruin my eyesight, lol.

This Bored Panda feed is pretty awesome:
Old 08-22-2017, 07:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Well, we were one of the nutty that drove 7+hours to get to totality. haha. We decided to only go to St. Louis which was at 99.2%. Crowds weren't too bad and our hotel was right next to the Arch and we were able to find a secluded area that didn't have a ton of people, yet open space to see the sky. I didn't see it right at 99.2%, I was too busy trying to observe what was going on down on the ground and around.

Hubby is already planning 2024! I have my sights on 2045 - goes through DisneyWorld - could you imagine how insane that would be??? haha
Old 08-24-2017, 06:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We had 93% coverage here in the Springs. My kids were at school, they were supposed to be let out to see it because I sent them with their glasses. My oldest did school outside the entire day (made her day) and my middle, they wouldn't let her out because "it'll ruin your eyes", even with the glasses. Oh well. During her lunch, she went outside and saw it as it was almost done leaving the sun. My husband had to share his glasses with the other people so he didn't get to watch the whole time. The youngest, he wanted to know what I was doing and he got to see it--still is talking about it! Me, I watched it and wish I could go to TX for the next one to get better photos and to see it in totality!!

Here's a photo that I took at peak

I already scrapped one photo of the eclipse and plan on scrapping a few more.

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 08-24-2017 at 06:50 PM.