Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I may finally buy a Kindle just so I can buy the 50 Shades of Grey ebooks! LOL. My excuse is that I need a new mp3 player and the Kindle Fire plays mp3's hahahaha

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:59 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have about 30 episodes of The Golden Girls on my DVR that I watch some of just about every day. It's always time for The Golden Girls

Old 04-17-2012, 07:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
Because it's seen as cool and trendy. It's basically no different than an American artist using Spanish in their song, it's just weirder I think because it's the only part of the song we understand, haha. Mixing Korean & English (or Konglish) is actually really common in big cities like Seoul - you'll see English "phrases" all over billboards, ads, store fronts, etc. The funny thing is English isn't widely spoken there so it's often somewhat awkward English, kind of like a step up from if you translated in it babblefish, haha. Made for some rather interesting experiences when we lived there.
Sharon, LOL, yes, exactly what Lynnette said. Which, if you look closely at that newspaper, the English (or Engrish, as they pronounce it) makes no sense.

Because Kpop is branching out to be more international, their music industry makes a big deal of any artists that release English songs or songs heavy with the English. Any "idol" (what they call their singers and dancers) who can understand and speak English is a big deal.

(and incidentally, I love that you mentioned Michael Jackson--because the choreographer for that dance was Tony Testa, who worked with MJ)

I have to admit, my Kpop love blossomed because of this Canadian couple living in Korea. They have TONS of videos on Korean life and culture--and their differences with North American culture, and then they snark/rave on Kpop videos.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Last night, when I got home from work, I realized that our electricity was off. I immediately called and accused my husband of waiting to long to pay bills and letting it get shut off. Well, it was actually a little wind storm that knocked out juice to a huge area. He's still making fun of me for it.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Yep, the main plot is that it's a dystopian futuristic society where as punishment for an uprising, each of the 12 Districts are required to send a male and female "tribute" ages 12-18 to fight in the Hunger Games - a battle to the death where only one tribute can survive. And it's played out like a reality TV show where everyone watches it happen on TV and they all have their faves and whatnot. I'm sure the books are meant to be a commentary on society today similar to say, Brave New World or Lord of the Flies which is why it's popping up in high schools, but I'd say those nuances were lost in the movie.
I appreciate you telling me what this is about ... now I KNOW I will not let my son with autism (PDD-NOS/Aspergers) read it ... no way ... I will make sure he is not able to ... that would really disturb him ...

I also will talk to my other son about it and tell him what you said about it ... I know that he will not want to read it for sure then. I think before he was just busy with school/homework and didn't mess with it. He doesn't even like the "survivor" series on TV so I am sure he won't care for this as well.

You hear of so many "copy cat" type things with that age group that this sort of book being popular makes me a bit uneasy ... does it to anyone else? I always worry when we hear of a shooting in a high school and it makes it to TV and it stays on top of the news for days or weeks, will some other teen hear about it and want to try it as well ... shudder.

Yesterday there was a bomb threat at our high school ... oh yeah another reason I didn't have to worry when they were homeschooled ... found out ONLY because the principal did an "auto call" of all the parents with not a lot of details other than to ask us to report if we hear anything about it that might lead them to the person making the threat. My son that was there all day long didn't hear a thing about it, didn't see any police patrolling ... nothing.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
nice Trekkie reference! I haven't read the Hunger Games, and I appreciated your review of it. There are kids in my son's 3rd grade class that are reading it so Logan's been asking to see the movie or read the book. And I just had to say no. I do not need to desensitize my son at only 9 years old. I haven't let him read the Harry Potter books yet either. His reading level is high enough, but I don't like the darker subject matter for his age. Ha, so there is my confession. My son can stay sheltered for a bit longer.
Good for you!!! I think they make kids grow up way too fast as it is.

In 5th grade they read My Brother Sam is Dead ... I was appalled! Come on, there isn't any other "good books" that a 5th grader can read? The language was awful that I wouldn't want him to hear and yet they required him to read it ... and the description of the bullets riddling through the bodies .. was more gruesome than "I" wanted to read! I had only glanced at the first chapter ... didn't read further and that was my error.

My oldest complained about it to me, said it really bothered him to read it when he was on the second chapter, so I went in to the teacher and said I refused to permit it ... so they sent him to the library during that time (because the teacher read it out loud to the class! and they were required to read it on their own to as they had tests on it) ... and the book they picked out for him to read in the library as an alternate was WAY BETTER (although I can't remember what it was) ... so when each of my boys got to 5th grade I insisted before they started the book, that they be given the alternate to read in the library.

Teacher said only like 1 parent a year besides me would even preview the book to see what it contained (and when a parent previewed it, they would refuse to sign the consent form) ... the rest of the parents (there were generally 75-100 kids in that grade each year) never even asked about what it contained. They had to send home a permission slip to allow the children to be "exposed" to it ... everyone just signed it and sent it in!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
I have about 30 episodes of The Golden Girls on my DVR that I watch some of just about every day. It's always time for The Golden Girls
I am that way with the Gilmore Girls! I bought all the seasons!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshobbes View Post
Sharon, LOL, yes, exactly what Lynnette said. Which, if you look closely at that newspaper, the English (or Engrish, as they pronounce it) makes no sense.

Because Kpop is branching out to be more international, their music industry makes a big deal of any artists that release English songs or songs heavy with the English. Any "idol" (what they call their singers and dancers) who can understand and speak English is a big deal.

(and incidentally, I love that you mentioned Michael Jackson--because the choreographer for that dance was Tony Testa, who worked with MJ)

I have to admit, my Kpop love blossomed because of this Canadian couple living in Korea. They have TONS of videos on Korean life and culture--and their differences with North American culture, and then they snark/rave on Kpop videos.
I actually stopped the video and went back to the newspaper and was confused by it. I don't understand the lyrics obviously ... but I like the sound of the vocals and the beat definitely ...

How interesting on the MJ and choreographer ...

Thanks for enlightening me ... now I am going to need to have my one son that is into the Japanese (I think) music videos that are anime ... let me hear the songs he is always watching/listening to ... just to see what it is about ... I think they are songs from his video games ... I just know that the repetitive video game (tinny sounds especially) drive me nuts so I have tuned them out or have him lower the volume. ...but you have me curious ...
Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Kay View Post
I am going to need to have my one son that is into the Japanese (I think) music videos that are anime ... let me hear the songs he is always watching/listening to ... just to see what it is about ... I think they are songs from his video games ... I just know that the repetitive video game (tinny sounds especially) drive me nuts so I have tuned them out or have him lower the volume. ...but you have me curious ...
Hahaha, I think I adapted well to Kpop because even waaaaaaaay before that I was a Jpop fan. Lots of my Jpop music comes from anime and yep, video games. I don't understand it, but I look up rough translations of the lyrics. I just wanna make sure i'm not listening to curses and trash lol.

And my confession for today is I went and threw out this dessert my husband brought home because I don't like it, lol. He ate some of it and then just left the rest in the fridge. So to the trash it went.

Last edited by mrshobbes; 04-17-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post
As far as kids killing kids, it's SUPPOSED to make you highly uncomfortable. You're not supposed to like it. The people in the districts are forced to watch it as part of the punishments and the only people who really have "favorites" besides the kids from their own districts, are the corrupt people in the Capitol. It's a major social commentary that perhaps is too in depth for a movie. Overall, I thought they did it as well as they could - given the circumstances.
See, this is why I don't exactly get the hype surrounding the series. Because I totally agree, it's supposed to make you uncomfortable and make you think. And yet the reaction to the series, at least on the surface, seems to focus largely on which character do you love most, Team Peeta or Team Gale, who was cast as who, etc.

What I find almost odd/ironic is how much the real world reaction to the series mirrors the reaction of the Capitol to the Hunger Games themselves - essentially focusing on the characters, love story, adventure/game aspect and glossing over the reality of what's actually happening - children killing children for entertainment. I'm not sure what that says about our society, haha. Even more so when you hear about high schools staging their own versions of the Hunger Games as trivia competitions - kind of makes you wonder if they even get the reality of what's actually going on in the movie? The level of excitement over it is just odd to me but perhaps it just hits too close to home considering I do actually understand what it means to send someone off to fight knowing not everyone will come home. To me, that's not a game.

Anyway, that's all I've got to say on this subject so if you're a Hunger Games fan, carry on, we can just agree to disagree.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm having a diet Pepsi for breakfast (I don't drink coffee). I'm nervous today and am self-indulging.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Kay View Post
I appreciate you telling me what this is about ... now I KNOW I will not let my son with autism (PDD-NOS/Aspergers) read it ... no way ... I will make sure he is not able to ... that would really disturb him ...

I also will talk to my other son about it and tell him what you said about it ... I know that he will not want to read it for sure then. I think before he was just busy with school/homework and didn't mess with it. He doesn't even like the "survivor" series on TV so I am sure he won't care for this as well.

You hear of so many "copy cat" type things with that age group that this sort of book being popular makes me a bit uneasy ... does it to anyone else? I always worry when we hear of a shooting in a high school and it makes it to TV and it stays on top of the news for days or weeks, will some other teen hear about it and want to try it as well ... shudder.

Yesterday there was a bomb threat at our high school ... oh yeah another reason I didn't have to worry when they were homeschooled ... found out ONLY because the principal did an "auto call" of all the parents with not a lot of details other than to ask us to report if we hear anything about it that might lead them to the person making the threat. My son that was there all day long didn't hear a thing about it, didn't see any police patrolling ... nothing.
I have wondered myself about things like the school shootings. The media hypes up everything and this depressed and broken student is sitting there watching this, watching the attention the shooter in the incident is getting and thinking that its one way they can make a statement themselves. I wish these things were less broadcasted. We need awareness but we need matter of fact awareness for our kids, not details and days of going on and on about it, you know? It worries me.

We had bomb threats about twice a week when I was in high school and I graduated 20 years ago next month. We also had armed security guards on campus. I don't even want to think about what that same area is like now. We live in a small town and things are pretty quiet here. I don't think I've ever heard them have a bomb threat here. We used to have drug raids of student lockers, complete with dogs to sniff out the goods. We had students who would use the pay phone to prank 911 calls or call in bomb threats themselves because they wanted out of class that day. I don't know... I hear parents talking about how bad things are these days but they haven't mentioned anything that I didn't experience when I was in school. In 5th and 6th grade we had kids having sex on the bathrooms... and I'm OLD so this is all, obviously, nothing new. I am so thankful my daughter is as sheltered as she is at her school. She's in 4th grade and no one has a boyfriend even. We all had boyfriends when I was in 4th grade.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
See, this is why I don't exactly get the hype surrounding the series. Because I totally agree, it's supposed to make you uncomfortable and make you think. And yet the reaction to the series, at least on the surface, seems to focus largely on which character do you love most, Team Peeta or Team Gale, who was cast as who, etc.

What I find almost odd/ironic is how much the real world reaction to the series mirrors the reaction of the Capitol to the Hunger Games themselves - essentially focusing on the characters, love story, adventure/game aspect and glossing over the reality of what's actually happening - children killing children for entertainment. I'm not sure what that says about our society, haha. Even more so when you hear about high schools staging their own versions of the Hunger Games as trivia competitions - kind of makes you wonder if they even get the reality of what's actually going on in the movie? The level of excitement over it is just odd to me but perhaps it just hits too close to home considering I do actually understand what it means to send someone off to fight knowing not everyone will come home. To me, that's not a game.

Anyway, that's all I've got to say on this subject so if you're a Hunger Games fan, carry on, we can just agree to disagree.
I agree with you completely, Lynette. It hits too close to home. I don't see the excitement in it at all. I just find it disturbing. My brother who typically likes all things dark, went to the movie with his step-son. He didn't know what it was about when going in there and he said he sat and cried the whole time and felt sick about it.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yari View Post
I'm online way too much
MEEEEE TOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniW View Post
I am constantly feeling guilty about being on the computer too much (scrapping, surfing, Pinteresting, editing photos) and not spending enough time with my family. Ummm, like right now...ooops.
This is exactly what I was coming to confess. Word for word. I already work outside the home, so I spend entirely too much time on the computer.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Skype™ to Damayanti Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
MEEEEE TOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Xoxoxox, I'm addicted too )))))
And love so much ice cream
Old 04-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm going through nearly a pint of heavy whipping cream a day from putting it in my many, multiple cups of coffee throughout the day.

It broke the Starbucks habit, though.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I need to go on a diet ... my jeans are tight and my summer clothes will be VERY tight ... but I'm not motivated ... as I finish the brownie that I wish the boys had eaten last night.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

bumping this up...I totally though 50 shades wasn't my type of book...and I'm almost 1/2way thru book 2 now..totally addicted lol

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 04-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
bumping this up...I totally though 50 shades wasn't my type of book...and I'm almost 1/2way thru book 2 now..totally addicted lol
I'm still resisting them for that very reason - not my type. But at my GNO Friday night, every one of my friends were reading them and talking about them and the whole "you've GOT to read them!" thing.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I was thinking that too, I'd read some book reviews, and was like 'NOT my kind of book' lol. But so many people loved it, I thought I'd try it. And while I'm not running out to find more like it, I couldn't stop once I started! I did love the way it was written, and her inner struggles with the whole situation - I just had to find out how it all ended!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
I LOVE Them!!! I have all of the DVD's and watch them even though they play them on tv 1/2 of the day I wish Golden Palace would come out on DVD (or on a tv marathon again)!

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I downloaded the sample and it bored me. I was halfway tempted to buy it anyway just because everyone is raving about it but I fell asleep twice during the sample. LOL

Oh... and I'm logged on at work... Shh! Its SUPER quiet today and I'm looking in the store for some inspiration for next year's theme to do some decorations for our room.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I have a potty mouth. I know, I know. You'd never know it because I'm so darned cute but it's true.

ETA: I love this thread. Seriously.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

One thing I love most about only working part time is that I can nap in the afternoon if I'm tired. Today is a nap sorta day, I think.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I take an hour for lunch almost every single day even though I'm only clocked out for thirty mins. lol.