Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default My youngest is doing a happy dance!!

So 3 1/2 years ago he was tested for peanut/nut allergy and we were told he was allergic to them. So poor little guy has had no nuts for that amount of time. After researching and reading up on prick tests and how unreliable they can be, we decided to have him tested again. So the prick test was negative and they decided to do a blood test to make absolutely sure and the doctor called today and told us he is NOT allergic to nuts at all!!! He almost cried when he found out he can have peanut butter again. LOL! So we are gonna ease him back in, but so far the piece of hershey bar with almonds did not give him any reaction today and he is dying for more. LOL!!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

WOOT! Yeah! I am so excited for him! This is great news.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

awesome! PB&J sandwiches....here he comes!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Wow, poor guys missing out on peanut butter goodness for 3 1/2 years! Glad he isn't allergic, and hopefully everything is good from here on out with nuts.

ETA: I am now craving peanut butter...
Old 06-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

LOL, Jenn. Ya, he has already requested PB&J for lunch tomorrow.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

that is awesome!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

oh YAY!!! I can't imagine not being able to eat PB... off to grab a spoon LOL
Old 06-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I didn't actually know that they were not reliable! Good for him that he has such a good mommy to check this stuff out! I kinda want pb&j now, too! lol
Old 06-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh wow, that's great news Melissa!
I think my 2 kids may be the only ones that do not like PB!!
Old 06-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

oh yay! how awesome for him!

Old 06-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That is SO wonderful! My cousin is severely allergic to nuts (including the dust and everything). He is in high school, and I know it's caused him a lot of frustration. Not only can he not eat nuts, but he constantly has to worry when he's with his girlfriend and everything else-- kissing her if she's eaten something that was produced in a factory that deals with nut product actually COULD kill him. It's caused a lot of stress and worry for him, so I'm REALLY happy that your son doesn't have to deal with it!

YAY for getting re-tested and finding out he's not allergic!!!

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 06-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Smile

Congrats, sweetie! My oldest was told he was allergic to all things wheat and we went off it for one year... it was painful! Wheat and whey and all that is in ::everything:: awk! We had him retested a year later by a new doctor and they said he could totally have wheat and he thought the levels were really low and would not have restricted his diet in the first place...grrrrr! Always good to follow up and retest! Ever since my little guy has been on wheat again for the last 2 years, he's been great and so happy to eat breads and everything else again!

I can't imagine how happy he must be to have PB and candy and sweets with nuts again! So happy for you guys! And, I totally understand how hard it is live with the food allergy diets, it's crazy! Yay for you! No more worries! Does he like Reese's PB cups? If it were me, that would be the first thing I'd go for! lol!

Public Relations for www.digitalscrapper.com
(Photoshop & PSE digital scrapbook training)
Old 06-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

great news! my oldest is allergic to all nuts (for sure LOL - she's had them and had pretty bad reactions ... boo!) - and it is no fun at all! glad you guys don't have to deal with that anymore!

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 06-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Banned

profile gallery

Oh I'd be doing the happy dance too. You better make pb fingers!!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh ya, Reece's!!! I better not mention to him just yet. Don't want him getting allergies to nuts cause he over does it. LOL!! Halloween candy sorting will be SO much easier this year.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Congrats to both of you, Melissa - those allergies can be suuuuuuuch a pain! Another reason to retest is that frequently children outgrow allergies . . . my daughter was highly allergic to milk and wheat products as a toddler. She really was, too - the tests weren't wrong. But by the time she was ready to start school, she had outgrown them, thank goodness - it certainly makes life easier (and a lot less scary when the allergies can be life-threatening).

My Blog: Quantum Leaps
Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh my gosh how awesome!!!

Old 06-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LIKE!!! That is such amazing news!!!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

my nephew had allergies to tomatoes I think and he outgrew it because he eats pizza, spaghetti, ketchup....and I know my cousin was allergic to milk and Im pretty sure she outgrew it as well. Anyhow just glad to hear he is able to have nuts now. So many foods are processed around nuts and I could not imagine how hard it would be to have to avoid all foods with nuts in them.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 06-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh that's awesome! I would die if I couldn't have peanut butter! And it's great that you don't have to worry, since there's nuts or nut oil in so many foods!

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yay for you and your family! I'm sure it will make dinners and dining out much easier. As a mom of a peanut allergy (nut allergy) kid, I totally understand what it entails.

And yes some kids do outgrow allergies. For peanut allergy it is only 10% though unlike most of the other allergies. So while there's hope, I wouldn't go willy-nilly giving them nuts to see. Melissa did it right and got him retested. So was his results a 0 on the allergy scale then? What kind of result did he have initially with the skin prick and why did you go for testing in the first place? Sorry about all these questions, I am just really curious (oh and were you seen on base or off for these testings?)!

But yay for you all! I'd be so happy too!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

yeah!!! Great news!!

Old 06-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprauncey1 View Post
Yay for you and your family! I'm sure it will make dinners and dining out much easier. As a mom of a peanut allergy (nut allergy) kid, I totally understand what it entails.

And yes some kids do outgrow allergies. For peanut allergy it is only 10% though unlike most of the other allergies. So while there's hope, I wouldn't go willy-nilly giving them nuts to see. Melissa did it right and got him retested. So was his results a 0 on the allergy scale then? What kind of result did he have initially with the skin prick and why did you go for testing in the first place? Sorry about all these questions, I am just really curious (oh and were you seen on base or off for these testings?)!

But yay for you all! I'd be so happy too!
We initially took him for testing because 2 times after eating pb&j sandwiches he broke out in hives. The Dr.'s office who tested him, showed a reaction to every single prick point on his back. Now, they considered a reaction just a red showing around the prick point. So we assumed from there that was that. Well this testing they did was not a positive with redness but had to have like a raise in the skin, looking like a hive for it to be positive. This time he only tested positive for cats and a very faint, they said couldn't be called a positive for peaches of all things. So after the negative on the prick tests the doctor decided to totally rule out nuts she would like to run a blood test. She called me today and the nuts, peanuts all came back as absolutely nothing. Now, we are starting to think that the problem all along may have been the peach jam he was eating with the peanut butter. When he was an infant his first croup episode that put him in the hospital, the dr. said he thinks it was an allergic reaction. Yep, we had introduced him to peaches that week for baby food. But back then I thought the Dr. was a complete quack. LOL! So I think he has a mild reaction to peaches. He still eats them from time to time, but has not had anymore issues. He was just diagnosed at this allergy appointment as having full blown asthma. So that about it in a nutshell. LOL!!
Old 06-28-2011, 12:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

OMGosh, that is a dream come true!! So happy for you. What I wouldn't give to be able to have peanut butter toast! Or, to not have to carry an epi pen everywhere, or to set aside the constant worry.... sigh.... so happy, happy, happy for you!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dreamer View Post
OMGosh, that is a dream come true!! So happy for you. What I wouldn't give to be able to have peanut butter toast! Or, to not have to carry an epi pen everywhere, or to set aside the constant worry.... sigh.... so happy, happy, happy for you!
Exactly!

Thanks for the whole spiel Melissa. Yeah the peaches probably put him a tizzy and made him "sensitive" to everything (poking included) and gave them bad info. Mine was first diagnosed with blood tests and yep a second time confirmed. Sigh. When we had seasonal allergy testing done he had HUGE welts on his back after 5 minutes. Pecan trees were the worst. Go figure. I wouldn't put him through that again for a long time. So I was just wondering how they could mis-interpret allergy testing. Now I know.

Again, congrats! Take him out to Texas Road House or something for me OK? In a few weeks when you feel secure about it.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

YAY!! That is awesome! I could not imagine my boys being allergic to peanuts...they live for peanut butter!!!!