Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eranslow View Post
We tried this last summer and couldn't find anything! Lol but I definitely think we'll try again this year. I bought the app from geocaching.com (I think?!) it has a compass in the app so it's all conveniently together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Erin there are definitely some easy to find ones in our neck of the woods! We haven't gone yet this year but last year we found quite a few!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by abm234 View Post
Erin there are definitely some easy to find ones in our neck of the woods! We haven't gone yet this year but last year we found quite a few!

Awesome!! We tried up in Wisconsin last summer and it was quite an experience

btw Amy - we really should try to meet up sometime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We walked a trail this weekend and decided that next time we need to try geocaching. I think we're going to go in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We tried once but had no luck. I'm thinking we need to try again this Summer
Old 05-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
So, it's our first 60 degree day since like September and I'm starting to think what we are going to do this summer... and also catching up on Switched at Birth on Netflix and they are talking about geocaching...

Now I know many of you have done this... so help! How do I get started? What do I need? Where/what kind of little trinkets do I get to put in the little boxes? Books.... apps...GPS... what do I need to know/get???
I'm totally hooked, lol. Actually grabbed 3 caches today. I still use the C:Geo app on my phone. I thought about getting an actual GPS, but honestly - I don't feel the need. Maybe just for battery time - being able to geocache ALL day instead of around 4 or 5 hours at most (until my phone dies). The app is free, so I didn't have to invest anything there.

I did upgrade to the premium membership last year on geocaching.com. Loved it because I could organize the list of caches based on when they were last found, the newest ones listed, etc. I find I'm more motivated to go find one when I can see the new ones listed or see what people are finding recently.

As for trinkets - just think small. A toy car, mcdonalds toy, a toy necklace, a pencil, key chain, a quarter or dime -- anything small and not expensive (these aren't very water tight often, and the elements can destroy stuff that inside). I usually head out with a back pack and a handful of items. And a pen - always need a pen lol.

It's so much fun - great exercise. Plus, you get to see some really neat sights & places that you might otherwise never know existed That's one of the rules of hiding them - to try and pick a place that has a unique story, means something to you, etc.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We started letterboxing last summer and I love it! I haven't ever been geocaching, but I hear they are similar in idea and sometimes overlap.

With letterboxing, you have clues to find the box and in the box is a stamp and log book. You also bring a stamp and logbook. You use the stamp you find in your personal book and then use the stamp you brought in the log book you find. We had a great time as a family doing this last year!
Old 05-19-2014, 09:29 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Well we've now got the geocaching bug! We went out yesterday with my brother who just learned about it and we found 7! One in a paid entry park that we went to (you walk down then back up the trail with viewing areas for 7 waterfalls! I won a free seasonal pass for our family.) Then when we got back home we went back out in our area and found another 6.

I love using c:geo, but my brother has an iphone - any iphone app suggestions besides the geocache.com one? And hubby used a compass app on his phone that helped alot, will have to ask him what it's called.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:33 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We meant to get into this last year, but our summer just seemed so busy Going to make it a goal for this year.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Have any of you ever set up a cache? I think that part could be really fun. Any tips?
Old 05-19-2014, 11:59 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I used to do Letterboxing in college... which is sort of like the artsy grandfather to geocaching. I really loved it!!

we just bought a motorhome, so we're looking to get our family started with GeoCach this summer as we'll be hitting loads of states parks and such. I'd love it if I could get by without a hand held GPS. do most of you use and like the C:Geo app??

any other tips for a newbie?
Old 05-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingovise View Post
You might get frustrated.. and swear a bit if the cache is hard to find.. so please make sure you film/record that for us to see!
Old 05-19-2014, 03:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingovise View Post
do most of you use and like the C:Geo app??

All I use is the C:Geo app. The downsides -- it eats your cell battery up pretty fast. I think I can get 3ish hours without charging. If you want to spend a whole day caching, you'll need a way to charge it through out the day (so if you're driving around - you can charge during). If you plan on parking and just hiking to a bunch without driving - I'd have a back up battery or some way to charge it away from your car.

I notice when I get far away from civilization, I can lose GPS intermittently. I honestly have NO clue if an actual GPS will do better. From what a couple friends have told me - they have the same problems, so something tells me it would happen no matter what I use. You can store the cache for offline use with C:Geo, and that's been my trick. I'll store the info and that way I can head to it whether my GPS wants to work or not.

Also -- read the logged finds. They can hold hints sometimes. And they can also let you know if it hasn't been found recently. That way if you can't find it, then you won't get frustrated since other people can't find it either.

Take a pen. Take some tiny trade-able stuff. Take a flash light & tweezers if you happen to remember

That's all I got - novel done
Old 05-20-2014, 10:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

You will lose your phone GPS signal regularly under tree cover. At least we do. I use the app and I like changing the map view to terrain so I can see the ground cover and not just a grey grid. That way if I lose contact with the GPS & can't tell how far away I am I can at least work out where I need to be from the terrain.

Take a multi tool with you. You will find it amazingly useful.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

you guys are making me want to do this with my boys!!

Old 05-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

totally do it adrienne! it's such a great family activity we didn't do any last year really but we will this year for sure
Old 05-20-2014, 01:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I heard so much fun and great stuff about geacaching. Hope to do it too someday! Sounds like a lot of fun.