Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-03-2021, 02:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Purchased Kits

As I'm busily downloading all of the DSD goodies I snagged up this weekend, I'm wondering if you use new kits right away? And, do you also keep the zip files?

I have a folder called "New kits to use" where I file new kits as I buy them and once used, I move them to the designer's folder. I used to keep all of my zip files, but found I never used them, so now I just delete them.

I have however; had to redownload kits for one reason or another and have found that having the order history at my fingertips in the store is very very handy!

Last edited by JillW; 10-03-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't keep my zip files, once unzipped I delete them.

I have had an EHD failure, WHILE I was transferring to a new EHD to be used as a backup. I am now paranoid and want to buy even more EHDs, lol.

As far as organization I keep trying different systems. I download to designer folder on my computer and within that folder is another one I call 'used', once I use it I pop it in there and every month or so I move the kits over to the designers folder on my EHD.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It depends on how much time I have and if I have good photos on whether I use kits right away I have never saved zip files because I'm always on a mission to conserve space, lol.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:59 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I keep my zip files and they have come in handy. Realized just this year that I was missing a bunch of files for a collab kit that came from a store that is no longer in business. I had the zips so was able to extract them.

And, the reason I needed that specific kit was because I was doing an additional page for an event that I had used that kit for a challenge at that store. I'm sort of OCD about event pages matching. And, that's not the first time I've needed a zip file.

IMO, EHD storage is pretty cheap these days and you can never have too many. I keep the zip files on 2 different EHD's so if one fails, I still have another copy.
Old 10-03-2021, 04:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't keep the zip files. I make sure I have all of the kit downloaded and saved first and then delete the zips. It just depends on if I have photos to scrap with the kits I buy whether I use them immediately or not. I would say normally I don't scrap with purchases immediately. When I unzip and organize, I put it directly in the designers folder and then I tag the preview with the theme of the kit in ACDSee. I don't keep track of what kits/templates I've used and what I haven't in my filing system- just in my head(and there are too many;0).

Old 10-03-2021, 04:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
It depends on how much time I have and if I have good photos on whether I use kits right away I have never saved zip files because I'm always on a mission to conserve space, lol.

Same as a Sheri it depends on if I have a need to use new products immediately or not. Or if the kit is just really speaking to me and I can't wait 🤗

I do not save zips. Never have. Never will.

Old 10-03-2021, 06:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a little bit of both - use right away and forget others until sometimes a year or so later! When I buy something, I have a download folder for zipped downloads. Sometimes I actually forget to download them and find them months later; it feels like Christmas! Once downloaded, I will unzip as I use them and put in an ssd folder that needs to be sorted in to their designer folders. It helps me see what kits I haven't used or have used to know if I'm buying more than using. As far as zips, once they are unzipped, they have got to go!! I have dvds full of zipped files that I've never gone through and unzipped. I actually have tossed them all when I made this last move because I know I'll never unzip thousands of folders to see if I already have them unzipped. Yeah, I'm a hot mess and I'm okay with that.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't save zips. I back up to Crashplan and an EHD, so hopefully if something gets deleted accidentally I'll notice in time to restore it. If not, I'll use something else. I don't want to lose scrap kits, but I'm not worried about it the same way I am with irreplacable pictures and completed layouts.

I decide what to buy based on what pages I plan to scrap in the near future. That doesn't mean immediately, but if I'm buying a kit for the specific album I'm working on, I'll use it within 6 months since that's about how long I work on each album. (With a system like that you'd think I wouldn't have any unused kits, but unfortunately it still happens! It just happens less than it used to.)
Old 10-03-2021, 10:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm with a couple of the other gals. I try to use right away, sometimes I can't. I do store by shop/designer/kit name. If it's a collab and the designers are in 2 different 2 stores, I have a "Store 1/Store 2" folder with designers name/kits in that folder.

I do not keep zip files even with a crashed EHD, still don't keep the zip files. I did migrate to a could service and my plan is to back up that cloud service as some point. I'm just glad I'm dealing with a crashing EHD as that is what happened during iNSD and I was in a panic and had a headache easily for a week.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't keep my zips. I use a program called Extract All and it deletes them as it unzips.

Now on using the kits...well....ummm...yeah! LOL I have a folder of over 70 new kits that I have NOT used yet. (I put the preview in a folder so I can see what I bought and need to use but sometimes I go back to old favs too). I buy bc I like them...I probably buy too much but hey, it is digital and I have the budget set up for it so why not...
Old 10-06-2021, 12:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My program gives me the option to delete after unzipping as well and I always do. I'll never go back and look for them or use them again. I try to unzip everything within a week so I can verify all the files are good. I keep all my newly downloaded/unzipped files in a separate folder within my store folder until I've gone through and organized them. Then they get moved to the main folder. Most don't get used right away as I'm always going back and forth in my pics working on different projects. I do keep a spreadsheet though with some key words so I can go find what I need when I'm ready or if I forget what I have.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't keep my zip files, it would be a lot easier to find the orders if I kept the email, but I delete them. LOL!!!

Old 10-09-2021, 11:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My routine is to unzip, delete the zip, and put the kits into the folders with other kits arranged by theme or purpose.

Recently, I created a separate folder of new kits I want to use. I put a copy of the kit into this folder as well. This means I have duplicate kits for a while, but I have enough hard drive space now and, hopefully it will allow me to use some of these new kits I keep buying.

I forgot to shop for DSD though. I'm bummed. I had my cart full and meant to come back and check out but life happened.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:16 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I do not keep the zips, I haven’t had to go back to them very often - I try to unzip right away so that if it’s corrupt I can download again.

As for using them right away… BWAHAHAHHAHAHAH

That’s a no.

I have a folder of “new zips” that everything stays in for a bit, while I unzip and out in folders. I change the folder to show the preview and then store by theme. I used to store it by designer but I couldn’t find anything ever and tagging previews and saving them in a separate folder took too long (I would forget to delete the preview if I had deleted the kit). So now I store it by theme, and templates by number of photo spots and it works for me!

I add a Z- to the front of the name of the kit / template which brings it down to the bottom of the folder naturally and I know I’ve used it. Last year I also decided to start treating my stash like a CT - I can always find something to scrap with CT kits no matter the theme, so now I choose a random number from the # showing as # of items in a folder, and scrap with that kit. If I’m like uuuugh no it gets deleted - cuz I have way too much in my stash lol

Old 10-10-2021, 05:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
I do not keep the zips, I haven’t had to go back to them very often - I try to unzip right away so that if it’s corrupt I can download again.

As for using them right away… BWAHAHAHHAHAHAH

That’s a no.

I have a folder of “new zips” that everything stays in for a bit, while I unzip and out in folders. I change the folder to show the preview and then store by theme. I used to store it by designer but I couldn’t find anything ever and tagging previews and saving them in a separate folder took too long (I would forget to delete the preview if I had deleted the kit). So now I store it by theme, and templates by number of photo spots and it works for me!

I add a Z- to the front of the name of the kit / template which brings it down to the bottom of the folder naturally and I know I’ve used it. Last year I also decided to start treating my stash like a CT - I can always find something to scrap with CT kits no matter the theme, so now I choose a random number from the # showing as # of items in a folder, and scrap with that kit. If I’m like uuuugh no it gets deleted - cuz I have way too much in my stash lol
This is a great idea on using the kit like a CT kit. I have OVER 900 kits on my EHD...I know I will never reuse all of them but I can't get rid of them...now about 100 or so are my own personal kits I designed but still over 800 kits...and I keep finding more reasons to buy new kits.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:24 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
Same as a Sheri it depends on if I have a need to use new products immediately or not. Or if the kit is just really speaking to me and I can't wait 🤗

I do not save zips. Never have. Never will.
Ditto.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:27 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
This is a great idea on using the kit like a CT kit. I have OVER 900 kits on my EHD...I know I will never reuse all of them but I can't get rid of them...now about 100 or so are my own personal kits I designed but still over 800 kits...and I keep finding more reasons to buy new kits.
LOL, you think that's a lot... I have almost every kit i've ever downloaded, since 2007 lol. I have 36 folders with 100 kits in each folder, and folder 37 has 42 kits in it. This is kits and collections only. I have separate folders for templates and extras like element packs and wordart that i have purchased separate from kits. I may or may not have a digital hoarding problem lol. But at least it's all oragnized and labeled
Old 10-10-2021, 06:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post

Buying new kits is a completely different hobby than using them lol!

Old 10-10-2021, 06:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmother View Post
LOL, you think that's a lot... I have almost every kit i've ever downloaded, since 2007 lol. I have 36 folders with 100 kits in each folder, and folder 37 has 42 kits in it. This is kits and collections only. I have separate folders for templates and extras like element packs and wordart that i have purchased separate from kits. I may or may not have a digital hoarding problem lol. But at least it's all oragnized and labeled

You are not alone !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2021, 06:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
Buying new kits is a completely different hobby than using them lol!

Omg yes it is!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2021, 07:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmother View Post
Nice...I have separate system for my templates, CU items etc. I also have a folder of kits I need to get rid of but can't. I have deleted some older kits and freebies.

Trina...I so agree. I am a digital hoarder and am okay with it bc well...it is digital. No one can see it...until my 5TB EHD gets full and I need to buy a bigger one. LOL
Old 10-11-2021, 01:09 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I keep all of my zips on my external - and i've had to use them more times than I can remember.

Unfortunately that external died, so now I'm going to have 2 externals - a back up of the back up LOL
Old 10-11-2021, 08:36 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I do not keep my zips... I usually download as soon as I can from shopping. Then delete the zip files and files from the download folder.

I put all my kits into a folder on Dropbox by the month purchased, then I can add them to my external drive on the desktop and onto the hard drive of my laptop. I also leave them for a bit in dropbox, After they are in both locations I usually delete from dropbox.

Do I use as soon as I buy???? hahahahaha.. I collect kits like it's a hobby..... I am a big time digi-hoader is that a thing if it really doesn't take up real space?)

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow