Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default random question just cause I am bored LOL

What is the strangest animal you have ever seen running loose in your neighborhod/yard? (wild or tame?)

Well I live in the country so I have seen all sorts of birds, currently we have four ducks which have taken up home in our yard (because I feed them now they dont leave). We had three goats which used to get loose and come here. Years ago there was an emu which frequently ran around the neighborhood. A pig also occasionally got out of its yard and ran up and down our street. I dont know who it belonged to though. I caught a tame bunny just hopping down the road which turned out to be pregnant but nobody claimed it. A deer being chased by three dogs jumped our fence and almost ran over my son in the process. And finally our neighbor had a cow which would frequently break the fence. Oh yea and roosters which would come and roost in our trees and crow every morning for years at the crack of dawn.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I live in a city... so the oddest would be a white tail deer... not that rare, but don't see them much walking down the sidewalk...
Old 03-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wild turkeys. I grew up in the suburbs so these turkeys are a kick! So fun to watch the males show off for the females!
Old 03-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to juliemarie

We have deer in our yard every night, most winters we have a few moose around as well. The oddest thing would be when someone's pet emu got loose (I called my dh and told him there is a REALLY REALLY big bird in the yard, bigger than me, that really got some laughs from him & his coworkers wondering what I had been drinking until the sheriff called me back and said someone did loose their emu!). We also saw a bobcat last summer just minutes after we had left the deck after dark.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

One of these guys creeps across our fence every few days: Green Anole. He's about 16" long and a gorgeous neon green.

We also frequently see wild parrots:

Old 03-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

we get quite alot of turtles, snakes and wild rabbits too. Occasionally an owl and we have had wild pigs (boars) roaming the neighborhood. That was many years ago when it was more woods then houses.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This winter we've had a bobcat. We see deer, turkeys, the occasional moose, skunks, racoons, and once a bear passed through long enough at night to rip down the bird feeders.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

They are pretty Brooke. The parrots are probably someone's pets originally. I have heard they live a really long time.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Our base for some reason seems to be a haven for animals. We have a herd of deer (no joke, a whole herd), wild turkeys, fox, geese, ducks, skunks, snakes and feral cats are frequent visitors or make their homes there. Airport Management gets all bent out of shape about them, but I have yet to hear of any of these animals getting in the way of a plane.
We also had a moose wander into town a few years ago. The police shot and killed it and caused a big issue with people in town. It was shortly after I was in Anchorage, AK where they wander in town all the time. Seemed a bit much to just kill it right away with no worries. I also saw one on the side of the interstate one time. They normally live a couple of hundred miles from here, but occasionally wander further away.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh yes raccoon and possums are quite popular here as well. Cannot tell you how many times I have heard a noise outside and open the door to find a possum or raccoon scuttling out of a knocked over trash can. Went and bought trash cans with really good locking lids and it is not such a huge problem anymore.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

up here in Seminole county, Jessica, we have seen black bears in the neighborhood. Other than that I have seen boar, turkey, snakes, gators, ginormous sandhill cranes (which I love) turtles and tortoise.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
One of these guys creeps across our fence every few days: Green Anole. He's about 16" long and a gorgeous neon green.

We also frequently see wild parrots:
When I lived in South Florida (Sunrise/Plantation area) we would see a lot of wild parrots too... they would flock to the park. SO pretty!
Old 03-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Ive never seen a moose. There is a nature preserve where they have wild hoses and bison. Its called Payne's Prarie. I want to go so badly because it is not a horribly long drive and I think it would be really cool to see them in the wild. They are supposed to be fairly common sites there.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

in my son's father neighborhood there are deer everywhere...freaks me out everytime i see one on the grass as i park my car...
Old 03-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

We see a bear on the porch trying to get into our garbage nearly every spring.

Once we had a goat on the roof. You just try and call animal control and tell them their is a goat on your roof. I got hung up on twice before I thought to open the conversation with "Hi, I live in an underground house, you know earth on the sides and the roof?" before mentioning the goat.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh, I don't even think of bison here. I grew up very close to where they still roam wild. Just today I saw a farm herd of them. Plus my alma mater is the NDSU Bison.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Tanyia my sister used to live in Paisley (tiny little town in Lake County) and she would frequently have bears in her yard. I am right on the Seminole/Orange County line and we have never seen a bear. Saw one out by Fort Christmas a few years ago on the highway when the flooding was really bad but it had been hit Gators we see all the time so they are no big deal. I read somewhere that every body of water in Florida has at least one gator. My husband and I used to go hiking in Orlando Wetlands and would literally come within like 2 feet of gators laying on the banks of the ponds there.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Stacey that is to funny
Old 03-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

where i live.. the motto is "the wilderness capitol of bc"

we have all sorts of animals roaming around here - bears (grizzlies and cubs.. ), deer are in the years daily, dozens of elk hang around.. cougars.

As for rare? The rarest thing i've seen was a HUGE jackrabbit running around in the city once several years ago. was such an odd sight!
Old 03-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

well you know when my son came inside he was mowing the yard and he was FREAKED OUT and he said Mom a deer just almost ran me over. I was like Yea right. He says no really three dogs (or two maybe I dont really remember) were chasing it. It jumped the fence and almost ran me over. By the time I got outside it was gone as were the dogs but then our neighbor who lives the next street over came looking for his dogs saying he last saw them chasing a deer out of his yard. I just thought to myself IF that deer had run him over or ran into him at all and hurt him how difficult it would have been to have to explain to a doctor. I have no doubt he would be like the first person to be ran over by a deer being chased by dogs while mowing the yard
Old 03-30-2012, 05:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

A whole herd of black and white dairy cows. I lived in a brand new development that was built on what was a farmers field, one morning really early we were getting ready for school, looked out of teh window to see a herd of cows in our culdesac. They had escaped from their field and walked down the road back to where they used to live! The police and the farmer had to come and herd them back up the road
Old 03-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Andrea in the town I live there is a large dairy farm owned by a family who has lived here forever basically. Well someone cut their fence one night and the cows got out onto the highway. It was on the news and everything. (yea pretty exciting when the onnly thing the news can find is an escaped cow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Gourley View Post
A whole herd of black and white dairy cows. I lived in a brand new development that was built on what was a farmers field, one morning really early we were getting ready for school, looked out of teh window to see a herd of cows in our culdesac. They had escaped from their field and walked down the road back to where they used to live! The police and the farmer had to come and herd them back up the road
Old 03-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

One night when we were coming home from dinner it was dark and the neighbors were all outside waving their hands. We parked and got out of the car to see what was up. There was a 6ft aligator walking down the side walk towards us. Yikes! Seeing them sun themselves on the bank of a pond is one thing, walking down the side walk towards you is quite another thing.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't think I've ever seen anything strange, because all the creatures I've come across are typical for our area - javalina (ugh I HATE those things), coyote, snakes, rabbits, quail families (so cute with the little babies trailing behind), skunks, etc.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 03-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Gourley View Post
That would be quite a site!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The weirdest thing I've ever seen is a moose sitting in the middle of the football field when I went to BYU-Idaho.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:13 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

The most disconcerting one for me was three coyotes running across the 4th hole while I was golfing with my then boyfriend one morning. I had my club up and ready to defend myself, but they kept going. Honestly, I have never been back to that particular golf course.

Another particular site for me was when the blacksmith was at the Amish farm next door and my neighbor asked me if his neighbors could bring their horses over through my backyard to his house and avoid the main road. I had Amish men and horses parading through my yard all day long. They were super courteous and even cleaned up any deposits that were left on the way. lol

Scariest by far was a opposum on my porch when we lived in the city. When I tried to shoo it away, it came at me and I had to beat it back with the broom until my big dog was able to chase it off. I hate those things with their beady little red eyes.

Last edited by LJSDesigns; 03-31-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Um...well I live and grew up in the country..so I've seen pretty much all this is as far as wild life around here. Coyotes, bobcats....black panthers...those freak me out, you don't see them much but you can hear them screaming at night sometimes in the summer. One night when I was a teenager my sister and I ran over an alligator down in the bottoms close to our house. It looked like a big log in the road. I've never seen a black bear..but they are known to be around here some..not very common though. Down at Camp Shelby they have giant gopher turtles..they are endangered so they live there on the base..they are HUGE like you could ride on their backs huge.

And then the common stuff...possums, racoons, armadillos..all of which I LOATHE b/c at any given time if you walk out in my yard at night you'll see on or the other..I really hate possums...they look like giant rats to me...and armadillos dig up my yard.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think this passes for "weird" around here lol..when I was little some neighbors moved in down the road and one morning I was out playing and this dog came walking up out of the woods behind our house..now keep in mind I'd never seen this kind of dog before and at the time it was taller than me...FREAKED me out..I was only like 6 years old but I'll never forget how bad that dog scared me lol

Old 03-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey42 View Post
We see a bear on the porch trying to get into our garbage nearly every spring.

Once we had a goat on the roof. You just try and call animal control and tell them their is a goat on your roof. I got hung up on twice before I thought to open the conversation with "Hi, I live in an underground house, you know earth on the sides and the roof?" before mentioning the goat.
Oh my gosh! I just laughed so hard! Too funny!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnidge View Post
I don't think I've ever seen anything strange, because all the creatures I've come across are typical for our area - javalina (ugh I HATE those things), coyote, snakes, rabbits, quail families (so cute with the little babies trailing behind), skunks, etc.
That sounds like home to me. Add some prairie dogs and all sorts of lizards to the mix and I'd feel like a kid again. LOL
Old 03-31-2012, 11:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We really need a multi-quote button!

Anyway, around here we get a good variety of animals but nothing really odd. We see possums, aardvarks, deer, fox, coyote, the occasional wolf, wild rabbits by the dozens, and various farm animals. We see a lot of wild turkey too as well as geese and duck. I live in town but at the edge of town. Across the street from me is pretty much where the wooded areas and farms start. We had a trailer park there when we moved in but it was taken out so there's nothing across the street. The deer have started roaming closer and closer. One night I went out late at night to take out the trash and there stood a deer by my trash can. I can go on a walk in the spring, summer or fall and see at least 15 rabbits within a few blocks. Seems we always have one in our yard. The squirrels tease our dogs mercilessly. We always see things by the side of the road as we're driving. The other day we saw a groundhog. That was a new one for me, so maybe you could say the strangest. I had never seen a groundhog in person. I knew they lived around here but I just hadn't happened upon one. It was pretty cool, he was all pudgy and short legged.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I see Florida panthers a lot. Not sure if that's strange or weird. My 4 year old calls them Florida Big Cats...