Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2011, 02:04 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd
Default Mac Girls Come In - Font Organization

A long, long time ago, I decided that Font Book was too clunky and was slowing down my computer. I abandoned it and started using Linotype FontXplorer X, which was free. I have loved using it. But, Linotype is no longer offering a free version of their software, and they aren't supporting the old free versions. And, I have started to notice issues with FontXplorer more and more often. I'm thinking that it's probably because it's becoming less and less compatible with my OS as I upgrade it. Since the paid version is over $100, I'm looking for other options.

Do you Mac girls use Font Book for your font organization/activation/previewing? How does it work for you? Does it seem to be clunky? Does it keep your fonts organized within folders on your drive that make sense? If you use a different font organization software, what is it and what are the pros and cons? I need a new solution, but I don't want to spend time on something I'm going to hate, and I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I would spend a little on something that works well.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use fontbook. I haven't even tried something else so I have nothing to compare it to. I don't feel like it slows down anything though. BUT, I will say that I use it to install fonts but I really don't play around with it. I use mostly my favorite go to fonts and any new release Darcy has. SO, just wanted to give that discloser before you took my opinion. I probably don't use the program as much as others do. (my font book does have over 700 fonts installed though! LOL)
Old 11-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have any personal experience with it, but I found this in the Mac App Store: Fontcase. It's only $30 and they have a free trial on their site. Not sure if it works with Lion but it might be worth a shot.

I too use Font Book but I don't do anything fancy with it, mostly just installing a new font here or there. I tend to use the same few fonts (I only have like 50 user fonts installed) so I don't bother organizing them. I haven't noticed it slowing down my computer either.

Hopefully someone else might have more suggestions for you!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:06 PM

profile gallery send pm

Hmm. The one thing I really love about FontExplorer X was that you can do Smart Sets. Like I have a set of Darcy's fonts and when I import a new one it just automatically goes into the Darcy set. In Font Book, you have to manually add fonts to any collections you have set up. I may just do some tinkering and stick with FontExplorer for as long as I can. All the other things I've found are way too pricey. FontCase in the App Store looks interesting and could be a good fix, but there are some bad reviews since Lion came out, so I'll definitely want to wait until they do a few more updates and the reviews get better.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post

I too use Font Book but I don't do anything fancy with it, mostly just installing a new font here or there. I tend to use the same few fonts (I only have like 50 user fonts installed) so I don't bother organizing them. I haven't noticed it slowing down my computer either.
same! I just use it to add fonts. I organize fonts myself within finder

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 11-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to juliemarie

I use FontCase - and it does works on lion
They have a free trial you can test it out before buying.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:46 PM

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Julie - I'll give the demo a try.