Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2015, 04:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Do you give up on shows?

I haven't watched last nights Grey's yet, but I did see the spoilers.

Do you give up on shows often? I'm not sure this will turn me off to Grey's or not.

I can think of a few shows that I've given up on. I was at least 6 seasons in on all of these before I gave them up.

Bones
CSI (the original)
One Tree Hill (after Lucas & Peyton left)
Old 04-24-2015, 05:09 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yes, I do. I've given up on quite a few shows. Grey's and Revenge are pretty recent ones. I also gave up on Lost and Prison break a couple of seasons in. Lie to me was fun at first but then I got bored, and it got too creepy and violent. I was really excited for season three of House of cards, but now that it's out I still haven't watched more than half an episode.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:14 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I find that I give up on shows mostly because I don't tend to turn into tv and am more of a binge watcher.. so I find that I give up on watching shows as they happen but i do tend to still enjoy a show if I can watch it all at once instead of having to wait.

I think I have watched a lot of shows now on netflix that I probably would not have kept watching if I was watching them on a weekly basis
Old 04-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I find that I give up on shows mostly because I don't tend to turn into tv and am more of a binge watcher.. so I find that I give up on watching shows as they happen but i do tend to still enjoy a show if I can watch it all at once instead of having to wait.
I'm like this, too. I'm not a big tv person; I'd rather listen to audio books while I scrap. (I can't scrap while I watch tv.) So I'll stop watching a show for a year or 2 then binge watch on Netflix eventually. Grey's is one of those shows. I probably would have stopped watching by now if not for Netflix. I still like the show, but I can't sustain weekly watching for 10 years! I saw something that gives me a good idea what happened last night, but I don't know for sure. I haven't seen any of this season yet. I hope the show survives what I think happened, but we'll see.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:39 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I don't have cable so only watch stuff on streaming... and even with that, I give up on shows all the time. Mostly because, I swear, somewhere around the 4 to 5 season mark they all tend to jump the shark.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ALL. THE. TIME. If I'm not feeling it anymore, I don't stick with it. Life's too short to waste on something I don't enjoy.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingovise View Post
I don't have cable so only watch stuff on streaming... and even with that, I give up on shows all the time. Mostly because, I swear, somewhere around the 4 to 5 season mark they all tend to jump the shark.
LOL when I read "mostly because, I swear" i burst into a fit of laughter. hahaha
Old 04-24-2015, 08:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Gosh, I haven't watched Grey's since the first season. Dh and I decided we didn't want to follow it and I can't believe it's still going strong. Is it in it's final season or something? Seems like I keep seeing it all over these days.

I recently gave up on Switched At Birth. It was just getting old to me. I really felt the first 2 seasons were the best. Anyone else watch this? It's a teen show, IMO, so it was kind of a guilty pleasure

I actually quit watching Walking Dead and my dh and boys can't STAND IT, lol! It was just starting to get too gross for me to watch right before bed. I've been obsessed since the first episode aired, but now I curl up in bed with Eden and read while the guys are watching.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
LOL when I read "mostly because, I swear" i burst into a fit of laughter. hahaha
Now you've got me laughing, ha!
Old 04-24-2015, 08:42 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I don't give up on shows out of... disappointment as such (i.e Greys Anatomy killing off main characters)... but I'm quick to give up through boredom.

Walking Dead was one - I'm a massive horror fan but haven't watched since about halfway through the prison storyline... it was just dull dull dull. Even though I've heard its gotten a lot better, and will eventually go and watch the rest (probably when its up on netflix) its not worth the time to currently download.

Supernatural was another one. Thoroughly loved it and have started the series several times but the Lilith Storyline just drags out too much and can't get through it.

I'd really love to watch Once Upon a Time but just can't get through the first couple of episodes without losing interest!
Old 04-24-2015, 08:44 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post
I recently gave up on Switched At Birth. It was just getting old to me. I really felt the first 2 seasons were the best. Anyone else watch this? It's a teen show, IMO, so it was kind of a guilty pleasure
Haha yes! Love Switched at Birth (secretly) but have struggled with some of the storylines! Same with The Fosters! Though have watched all episodes of both and looking forward to the new seasons, dont think I will continue watching Switched at Birth if it continues as it has.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm a lot like Kristin. I haven't really given up on shows ever but I don't watch during the normal season. I binge the entire series after they're over (ie, Lost, Sons of Anarchy) or an entire season of my favorites once the DVD comes out. The longest series I have is Supernatural. I've watched a couple of Greys episodes but never got hooked. I probably wouldn't even recognize it since they've lost so much of the original cast that I remember.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivesparrow View Post
I don't give up on shows out of... disappointment as such (i.e Greys Anatomy killing off main characters)... but I'm quick to give up through boredom.

Walking Dead was one - I'm a massive horror fan but haven't watched since about halfway through the prison storyline... it was just dull dull dull. Even though I've heard its gotten a lot better, and will eventually go and watch the rest (probably when its up on netflix) its not worth the time to currently download.

Supernatural was another one. Thoroughly loved it and have started the series several times but the Lilith Storyline just drags out too much and can't get through it.

I'd really love to watch Once Upon a Time but just can't get through the first couple of episodes without losing interest!
I've tried TWICE to get into Once Upon... but I can't get past the first couple episodes, LOL!!!! Two of my kids love that show and one has watched every episode, but I just can't get into it! It looks fun though!
Old 04-24-2015, 11:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

You guys that have trouble with Once Upon A Time, you should try Season 2. I liked season one, but 2 & 3 were great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2015, 02:22 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Most of the time, I'm not really giving up, but lose interest at some point or the other. It happened with Bones, for example. I also was not very interested in CSI anymore after Grissom left, but returned to watching it after Russel took over. I never watched "Grey's" and am glad about that at the moment . I feel so very sorry for the fans. I watched The Mentalist as a real fan from beginning to end, and was so grateful something similar never happened there...
Old 04-25-2015, 02:33 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivesparrow View Post

I din't like the first couple of episodes of Once upon a time AT ALL. After that, I was hooked and the show became more interesting.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was about to say no but then you reminded me about Once Upon A Time - not sure why but I stopped watching it this season... will probably go back and watch it but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

As for other shows I usually don't give them up but then I don't watch too many either. I've watched Grey's since the beginning and won't stop now... I also was 99.9% sure Derek was going to die this week; it's been all over the news that he signed for next season but that he likely wouldn't be staying. I wasn't surprised in the least and honestly not as upset as most people are I liked his character and story but for me there are a lot of others that I like. My favorite has always been Alex and watching him develop over the years has been awesome I actually am looking forward to next week's show because I want to see how everyone reacts and what Meredith does, will Cristina come home for the funeral?, etc.

I binge watch shows during the summer and I have quit several after the first few episodes: Breaking Bad, Lost, Orange is the New Black, House of Cards...
Old 04-25-2015, 09:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I sometimes give up on shows. Generally, for new shows, if I like the pilot, I'll stick around for 4 or 5 episodes. By then, if things have slowed down, I'll give up on it. No sense wasting my time.

If a series is on Netflix, I don't often give up. Binge watching holds my interest better than waiting a week between episodes.

Now, as for Grey's... well I'm going to watch next week's episode and hope it redeems itself. Otherwise, I quit. I'll keep an ear out to see if it gets any better, but I'm not going to watch weekly anymore. I don't want to give any spoilers, but this whole season has sucked. I wasn't into any of the stories about most of the characters.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So who died on Greys? Anyone from the first season that I might remember?
Old 04-25-2015, 09:42 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post
So who died on Greys? Anyone from the first season that I might remember?
Yes. Just Google, it's all over the news.

I don't often intentionally quit shows but I do sometimes get annoyed and let them build up on the TiVo before I delete them. Just happened with The Vampire Diaries (I didn't think it was possible to make Elena more annoying than she was but Vampire Elena did that). The Originals is likely next. We are way behind on Scandal too and I haven't decided if I want to catch up or not - Huck turning on Quinn was just too much to me.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post

I don't often intentionally quit shows but I do sometimes get annoyed and let them build up on the TiVo before I delete them. Just happened with The Vampire Diaries (I didn't think it was possible to make Elena more annoying than she was but Vampire Elena did that). The Originals is likely next. We are way behind on Scandal too and I haven't decided if I want to catch up or not - Huck turning on Quinn was just too much to me.
Just looked it up? GASP!!!! How dare they??????? I would be throwing the biggest hissy fit if I were a fan. Geez, I'm not even a watcher and I'm ticked, lol!
Old 04-25-2015, 10:35 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Elena is leaving after this season! So there is hope! I feel the same way, she's driving me nuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post

Old 04-25-2015, 10:43 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
Elena is leaving after this season! So there is hope! I feel the same way, she's driving me nuts!
Yeah I haven't watched at all this season and probably half of last so even if she leaves, I don't think I'll be back.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I gave up on Grey's years ago. I guess I always thought I could go back and binge watch it, but I haven't felt inclined to do it yet. I also gave up on Once -- just got boring IMO. I really liked Sleepy Hollow at first and I have barely stuck with that but if it doesn't improve next year, I'm done after a couple episodes (and they might cancel it anyway if it doesn't get better). I "took a break" from Breaking Bad after season 2 (watching on Netflix) but that is one that I probably will go back to.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I really wanted to like 'The Gilmore Girls,' especially since it's a supernerdy bookish gurlpower kind of show, but I just couldn't. Three episodes in, and my skin was crawling every 5 minutes at how awkwardly the mom and daughter acted with and talked to one another. I just couldn't stand it.

I know, I know, I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like that show.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I hardly watch any TV, so there isn't much to give up per se. I used to watch Grey's back in the day, but it's been a solid 4+ years. I missed a couple episodes and just never picked it back up. Same with Mad Men ... I just kind of lost interest. I really only have 2 series I watch. Outlander and Game of Thrones. Occasionally, I will watch reality TV while I work out ... DWTS or The Bachelor, etc ...
Old 04-26-2015, 04:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was talking to my husband about this. I don't give up on shows. Or rarely anyway. I watch them long past me enjoying them. I feel like I NEED to get to the end. It is more of a compulsion with me. I was so happy when Desperate Housewives ended because I could finally be free of it! LOL

On the other hand, I did give up on Lost. I just didn't understand half of what was going on and it was too much of a brain strain for me when I watched it.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
I gave up on Grey's years ago. I guess I always thought I could go back and binge watch it, but I haven't felt inclined to do it yet. I also gave up on Once -- just got boring IMO. I really liked Sleepy Hollow at first and I have barely stuck with that but if it doesn't improve next year, I'm done after a couple episodes (and they might cancel it anyway if it doesn't get better). I "took a break" from Breaking Bad after season 2 (watching on Netflix) but that is one that I probably will go back to.
Oops, I lied. I did give up on Once Upon a Time. The story line started going in all sorts of directions that made me crazy. Again, as with Lost, I don't want to think too much when I watch TV. It is my mindless guilty pleasure.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I watched Dexter until his wife died and then I lost interest. I also watched The Walking Dead until the vet guy was beheaded and then I lost interest in that too.

I've tried watching Once Upon a Time (and have watched seasons 1 and 2 and half of season 3)but it's too boring for me to watch consistently. I tried watching Breaking Bad, but can't get through the first episode before losing interest.

Last edited by adi&co.; 04-27-2015 at 02:41 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:35 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

I was watching some nature show earlier & realized I had stopped watching meerkat manor and wondered what happened to the little meerkats hahhaha. Goodness.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
I don't give up on shows. Or rarely anyway. I watch them long past me enjoying them. I feel like I NEED to get to the end. It is more of a compulsion with me.
This is so me! I have a few at the moment that I could really do with dropping (The Originals and The Vampire Diaries come to mind!), and then there's the shows that I say I'm quitting every year, but can't seem to help myself (Pretty Little Liars....I really don't know why I'm still watching that one, lol).

I've always liked Grey's, it's "easy" watching, in that, I don't have to really concentrate on it, I can watch it while I scrap, and I'm not at all put off by what happened, he was really annoying last season/early this season!!
Old 04-29-2015, 02:05 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

ummm....yes! I have a very obsessive/addictive personality so I kind of do what KCB does. I like to binge watch things all at one time. I have given up on TONS of things that I just decided suck. haha!

Revenge (loved the first two seasons, and the last two have been AWFUL!! Like the writers are completely different?!)
Arrow (the first couple of seasons too many of the plot lines didn't make sense! I think it does now hubby said, but who wants to wait years for something to make sense?!)
Shield
Switched at Birth
Once Upon a Time (which I used to love but I have not enjoyed this season AT.ALL. The graphics and acting took a huge plunge IMO and I can't even take it seriously anymore)

and probably Grey's which I know some people will still love and are excited about watching how it plays out, but I just found it so depressing!

I watch a lot of shows though. Some are really really awesome so if something is just meh for me I do not stick it out. I have better things I could be doing lol