Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-22-2018, 01:19 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default you guys

I'm the worst gallery commenter ever. I can't seem to think of anything to say these days and it makes me feel really bad because I want to leave positive praise but I blank out on what i'm saying!

Does anyone else struggle with leaving real and meaningful comments? I suppose it goes hand in hand with journaling. I suck at that too :P
Old 03-22-2018, 01:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I feel like my comments get repetitive. I have a tendency to notice shadows and clustering for example so if I notice that, I will comment on that. I always try to just pick something that I really like about the page and comment on that. I like getting those types of comments anyway, lol

PS thanks for your comment on my page! I might have squealed over being noticed by KCB

Old 03-22-2018, 02:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm not a big gallery commenter, but mainly because of time. When I do comment I just say what I think. If I think it's beautiful, I just say that. If the layout really caught my eye in the gallery, I say that, and then a little explanation of why. I don't find it hard to find something to say, so much as finding the time to do it.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
I feel like my comments get repetitive. I have a tendency to notice shadows and clustering for example so if I notice that, I will comment on that. I always try to just pick something that I really like about the page and comment on that. I like getting those types of comments anyway, lol

PS thanks for your comment on my page! I might have squealed over being noticed by KCB
This is me as well.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I struggle sometimes too. I don't comment on a ton of layouts b/c I don't want them to be generic or repetitive. But if I do comment on your page it's b/c I really love it! Like Adi, I try to find the one thing and focus on that (sometimes it's more than one! Lol..)... whether it's a great story told, or the photos or shadowing. Sometimes it's just how perfectly the kit and photos match up. I'm very matchy matchy and a perfect fit makes me giddy!

I want all my gallery comments to be like little masterpieces in themselves but let's be honest. We all appreciate gallery comments even if they're just "wow" or "beautiful" right? I know I should focus less on perfection and myself, and more on other people's feelings. Aaaaaannnnddd... somehow I turned gallery comments into "Geez, I'm a selfish person". LOL!

I'm off to go leave some comments now.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:17 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I love to leave comments on layouts.. I always try to pick something I really love about it and mention that . but, I'd need more time to do so, that is the first and many times I feel I am just repeating myself.. I rather suck at journaling too so yes, that might be the reason
Old 03-22-2018, 02:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I can't stop over thinking my comments! I prefer to write something specific and meaningful, but then I start thinking, "If I mention the clusters, are they going to think I don't like other aspects of the layout? Does it come off as judgy if I mention the parts I love? I'm not a super scrapper; who am I to judge the best parts of this layout? What if I say I like the clusters but layers was a better term for it?" Argh...I think part of the reason I look at layouts more on IG than in the gallery is that I can just click the heart and not over think it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2018, 02:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
but then I start thinking, "If I mention the clusters, are they going to think I don't like other aspects of the layout? Does it come off as judgy if I mention the parts I love? I'm not a super scrapper; who am I to judge the best parts of this layout? What if I say I like the clusters but layers was a better term for it?"
Oh man! well from someone who gets comments on my pages (lol!) I can say that if they mention one thing, I don't think they dislike another thing. I just like hearing what people think of my pages! I imagine my kids and their kids looking at the books later in life and saying the same comments you guys are saying

Old 03-22-2018, 02:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Sometimes I feel like I say the same thing because I'm focusing on learning how to make clusters and shadowing. So I feel like I'm commenting too much on them. When I feel that way, I take a break, come back and refocus. It's hard sometimes. It happens to everyone. But I'm sure people always appreciate any kind comment towards their page because it means someone saw it and took the time to write something nice
Old 03-22-2018, 02:54 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am usually pretty good with words, but I find posting authentic, meaningful comments in the gallery a challenge too. I also just left the GSO blog team because composing a post took at least four hours and totally stressed me out because I wanted to say the right thing each and every time.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love leaving love on layouts because I enjoy looking at other people's creativity (I think that's why I love Instagram so much). I honestly don't worry about what I say. I go through the gallery one page at a time and open in a new tab for each layout that jumped out at me and I love. Then I just say why I love it, like Jacinda basically. The only thing I worry about is if my over use of "!" makes me seem insincere but I can't help it. If I really feel it, it just needs more exclamation marks lol

and on the other side of things, I love love and have not personally had any issues where I was wondering someone's intentions in their comments, if that helps any
Old 03-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
I am usually pretty good with words, but I find posting authentic, meaningful comments in the gallery a challenge too. I also just left the GSO blog team because composing a post took at least four hours and totally stressed me out because I wanted to say the right thing each and every time.
That's me with blogging, journaling--anything that needs genuine writing! I need to think in silence to write. It take a long time to write. I can't imagine four hours for a blog post. Bless your heart!
Old 03-22-2018, 03:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I would love all my comments to be real and perfect. I think I am attracted to LOs usually by the same things, so my comments can seem repetitive, but they really are sincere!
I have the worst time with journaling, though, because as soon as I sit down to write (type) something out, my brain shuts down!! It could have sounded so beautiful in my head a minute before, but never comes out that way when I type it out!
Old 03-22-2018, 04:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Whatever the comment says it's always nice to get feedback. Even if it's just "nice layout" or something more profound.

Like others I always try to focus on one thing or two that I love about the page I'm commenting on.

But when the comments come from designers!! woot woot!
Old 03-22-2018, 06:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It's the thought that counts....it feels good when someone takes the time to comment on your layout! <3
Old 03-22-2018, 08:53 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjersti View Post
It's the thought that counts....it feels good when someone takes the time to comment on your layout! <3
This! I love getting comments, even if it's just a generic one. For someone to take time to look and comment on my layout, that's pretty sweet already.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:16 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I have the worst time with journaling, though, because as soon as I sit down to write (type) something out, my brain shuts down!! It could have sounded so beautiful in my head a minute before, but never comes out that way when I type it out!
I love journaling and it comes much easier to me. I think I get tripped up worrrying about how my comments will make someone feel, but after reading this post, I am going to try to worry less and comment more. It won't be easy, because worry is my middle name.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:25 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I'm not a big gallery commenter, but mainly because of time. When I do comment I just say what I think. If I think it's beautiful, I just say that. If the layout really caught my eye in the gallery, I say that, and then a little explanation of why. I don't find it hard to find something to say, so much as finding the time to do it.
Ditto!

I just lack the time to browse the gallery. It's something I've gotten out of the habit of doing. I need to set aside more time for it. Or make a goal to leave 5 comments a week.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:28 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Personally, I'm totally ok with generic comments. If someone took the time to look at my page and liked it well enough to comment, it's a sincere comment, even if doesn't call out specifically what they liked

I also suffer from having a difficult time coming up with unique comments.

Related question: If someone posts a page with a template, is it weird to comment on the composition since it's an adaptation of a template?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:32 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
Personally, I'm totally ok with generic comments. If someone took the time to look at my page and liked it well enough to comment, it's a sincere comment, even if doesn't call out specifically what they liked

Related question: If someone posts a page with a template, is it weird to comment on the composition since it's an adaptation of a template?
As a template designer, I think commenting on any aspect of the page (including the composition) is appropriate. Since, technically, the scrapper CHOSE that template and used it as a tool - same as any other product in their page. kwim? Let them have credit for it. They bought it and used it in a pleasing way.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:35 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan37 View Post
Whatever the comment says it's always nice to get feedback. Even if it's just "nice layout" or something more profound.

Like others I always try to focus on one thing or two that I love about the page I'm commenting on.

I know, that gets me so giddy and excited....like they SAW my layout with THEIR product! *swoon*
Old 03-23-2018, 10:36 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post

I do this all the time, but never realize it's a template until after the post has been made! But yeah, they are using the template for some reason. They altered it to fit their scrapping style and the composition, whether template or not, is great!
Old 03-23-2018, 10:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I'm the worst gallery commenter ever. I can't seem to think of anything to say these days and it makes me feel really bad because I want to leave positive praise but I blank out on what i'm saying!

Does anyone else struggle with leaving real and meaningful comments? I suppose it goes hand in hand with journaling. I suck at that too :P
To be honest you’re short and sweet comment on one of my layouts the other day literally sent me over the moon. To be told I amaze YOU was awesome, it was so exciting to see your love for it even if it wasn’t a long thought out post. In true honestly I’d prefer 20 I love it comments over 1 long lengthy post in my galleries most days any layout love at all feels great. I have been trying to comment more but can’t get the gallery to let me reply most the time, it’s so frustrating!
Old 03-23-2018, 10:43 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

As much as I love getting love comments on my layouts, I would love to get constructive criticism as well. Seriously. If there is something that can be done better or something looks weird because I applied wrong shadow or placed something in a wrong spot, I want to know. Although I've been scrapping for several years, I'm still considering myself a novice with so much room for improvement.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjersti View Post
That’s how I feel about it, I honestly question if it’s good or bad more when I have like 20 looks in a day but not 1 comment
Old 03-23-2018, 11:36 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Mine always seems to say, "oh, i love this" or "what a great layout". I mean I want to comment cause I love the layout, but I don't know how to convey that any more.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan37 View Post
YES!!

Old 03-23-2018, 01:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
Sometimes I feel like I say the same thing because I'm focusing on learning how to make clusters and shadowing. So I feel like I'm commenting too much on them. When I feel that way, I take a break, come back and refocus. It's hard sometimes. It happens to everyone. But I'm sure people always appreciate any kind comment towards their page because it means someone saw it and took the time to write something nice
I totally agree with you.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
As a template designer, I think commenting on any aspect of the page (including the composition) is appropriate. Since, technically, the scrapper CHOSE that template and used it as a tool - same as any other product in their page. kwim? Let them have credit for it. They bought it and used it in a pleasing way.
Thanks Brook! I've always wondered how template designers felt about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I do this all the time, but never realize it's a template until after the post has been made! But yeah, they are using the template for some reason. They altered it to fit their scrapping style and the composition, whether template or not, is great!
Totally makes sense!
Old 03-23-2018, 02:28 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

years and years ago I remember people talking about not liking comments that were short/lacked meaning and so I think it's one of those silly things that has stayed with me in the back of my mind (along with many other things I should try and let go of hahaha)
Old 03-23-2018, 03:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
years and years ago I remember people talking about not liking comments that were short/lacked meaning and so I think it's one of those silly things that has stayed with me in the back of my mind (along with many other things I should try and let go of hahaha)
I totally remember that. I think it stemmed from people at DST who would literally just paste the same comment on 100 layouts hoping for return feedback to promote their products.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:41 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I remember that, too, Kristin. And I'm the type of person who will take ANY comment, heck... I enjoy just seeing my view count go up. So, I never let that get to me too much. I think if someone takes the time to say anything at all about my pages, even if it's just "awesome!" or "wow!" I think that's GREAT.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:56 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I am exactly the same
Old 03-23-2018, 05:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
I remember that, too, Kristin. And I'm the type of person who will take ANY comment, heck... I enjoy just seeing my view count go up. So, I never let that get to me too much. I think if someone takes the time to say anything at all about my pages, even if it's just "awesome!" or "wow!" I think that's GREAT.
hahah I'm glad I"m not the only one who loves the view count going up

Old 03-24-2018, 03:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Leaving comments is perhaps the one thing I don't usually overthink (although, sometimes I get a little exclamation point happy and people probably think I'm a spaz) but I just open the pages that catch my eye, and then let my brain do the talking. Being wordy is not a problem for me, if anything I am maybe a bit TOO wordy. I love leaving comments but with the way my time gets sucked into some kind of vacuum lately, I need to make a more purposeful effort to get into the gallery. I know how happy I feel when I get comments and I love knowing I'm giving someone else that feeling (though, my comments are always sincere, and not just me trying to give someone happy thoughts - that's just a nice side effect!)

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 03-25-2018, 09:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I leave a comment on a page I really like, they're often short and to the point. Sometimes I will mention a specific item I liked or how they used the template in an interesting way or something like that. But I also have my moments with the generic comments that just go on auto pilot, but I don't leave love in the gallery if I don't like a page so a comment is always a good sign, no matter the wording.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:58 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I suck at commenting... and journaling.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:07 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

1. I personally don't care what the comment is. I don't mean that in a snarky way either, lol, but legit - if someone takes the time to leave a long drawn out paragraph or a "this is cool", that makes my day. It's more about the recognition then how long the comment is for me.

2. Kristin & the rest of the SSD designers - when one of you comment, again doesn't matter what the comment is, it totally makes my day - and I am not going to lie, I absolutely fangirl and act all stupid and tell everyone around me like my husband who doesn't understand how amazingly awesome it is to have your favorite designers acknowledge your work. It's such a rush!!! So thank you all!!!

Erin