Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-14-2020, 05:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Editing Photos

Do you edit your photos before you scrap them or do you just scrap them as they are straight from the camera? I have some old actions that I run...well I only usually use one of the set. It is called Fresh and Colorful and it just lightens the photo and adds a filter that brightens up the photo a little. It is an old set from Pioneer Woman. If I am feeling creative (I am so behind right now that I haven't been too creative) then I will play around some with other filters...
What is your go to for sharpening up your photos or do you not mess with them?
Old 07-14-2020, 06:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I edit photos that look like they need it, but I don't have an editing process that I run on every photo. I have an older set of actions from Paint the Moon (a former digiscrapping designer who decided to focus on photography) that I use for sharpening and other adjustments. I still use CS6, so no need for newer actions yet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2020, 10:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Honestly, very rarely anymore. If I'm using my DSLR, I do adjust the white balance, exposure a little and maybe brighten them a touch/contrast. But I rarely run actions or presets anymore. I was a photographer for 9 years and that was my least favorite part, editing photos. LOL!

I usually just play with the curves a little in photoshop for the pictures out of my phone. I have every intention of doing more, but never do.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I import all of my photos to Lightroom Classic. Sometimes I will apply presets, but mostly I'm adjusting exposure, shadows, etc. I love using the adjustment brushes. I then transfer to PS, where I will sometimes do additional edits. My entire process is all done very quickly (a minute or two). It really depends on the photo, whether I'm converting to B/W, etc.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:56 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I edit every photo I scrap. It's such a habit now that as soon as I open a photo, I go through my workflow without even thinking about it. I fix color, adjust curves, and run a sharpening action. Sometimes I'll do another action depending on how I'm using the photo. Like Sheri said, it doesn't take long at all and it's just part of my regular scrapping routine.

Old 07-15-2020, 07:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to crop and edit all my photos because I still print them and put them in albums, but I'm in limbo now since the first of the year when my hard drive failed. I got a new version of Paint Shop Pro, and while it edits the same, saving the file afterward is different. So, here I sit. lol I really need to get going on that already.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Not usually. I will sometimes brighten a photo if the colors are off, and if it's a slightly fuzzy photo I will sharpen it. But that is it! I like the all natural look! Our life isn't at all perfect, so my photos shouldn't be either!
Old 07-15-2020, 01:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use the Lightroom app on my phone to edit my photos as I go. I have adjusted to my liking and created a preset so it's just a click of a button and then I export them to my library and delete the originals.
I usually don't have to do any other edits unless I want them black and white.

For my DSLR photos I edit them with Lightroom again running some presets I bought from a photographer I love and tweek it. Then that's it.

So my photos are pretty much all ready to scrap with. Minus the part where I blur my kids' face.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:58 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Sometimes I use Image > Adjustments >Shadows/Highlights on my photos--usually if it's a little dark. I try not to do too much to my photos because I want the people in them to look as they really are--not as they hope to be. So no, I don't remove DD's acne or my gray hair/wrinkles.

But as for fun filters: sometimes I use RadLab to change the look of a photo. But those filters don't do "touch-ups" like removing acne; they change the photos in an artistic way, if that makes sense. Like color correct or b/w or making the photo look gritty--like it was taken in the 70s with an old Instamatic.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:33 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I always edit my photos just before I add them to my layout (yes, i scrap first and then add the photos) just so it's a good fit with the kit that I use. I do tend to use more and more b/w photos these days so photos will always fit with the colors from the kit. I think my OCD prevents me from using photos that have different colors in them than the kit, if that makes sense
Old 07-16-2020, 08:54 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I quickly edit photos taken with my DSLR in Lightroom. I edit pics taken by my phone with PicTapGo App.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:20 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Sometimes I edit in ightroom...
Sometimes I edit in Photoshop as I scrap (usually just adjusting exposure or fixing red eyes.
Sometimes I do nothing.....
Sometimes I edit in Lightroom or photoshop on my phone....

I'm all over the place.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 07-16-2020, 02:47 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have some photo filters I like "Valencia" I think is the one I'm digging right now. I also play around with exposure, brightness/saturation on some photos. I'm no professional photographer and they could use a little help,
Old 07-16-2020, 10:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

YES! I'm also a professional photographer though so it's ingrained in me haha! I have basic edits for phone photos if I haven't edited them in Lightroom mobile but yes, every photo is edited.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
I use the Lightroom app on my phone to edit my photos as I go. I have adjusted to my liking and created a preset so it's just a click of a button and then I export them to my library and delete the originals.
I usually don't have to do any other edits unless I want them black and white.

For my DSLR photos I edit them with Lightroom again running some presets I bought from a photographer I love and tweek it. Then that's it.

So my photos are pretty much all ready to scrap with. Minus the part where I blur my kids' face.
I like this idea, Lea! I hadn't thought of doing that.

I edit as I go in PSE. Nothing major, unless I want a style to better match a kit. A lot of my older photos (pre-digi, early-digi) need a LOT of help. LOL!
Old 07-18-2020, 10:17 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Very rarely do I edit a photo straight out of the camera. However, I do make adjustments on scanned photos or negatives 95% of the time using the Fade Correction Adjustment in Paint Shop Pro. Some times I will use the Scratch Remover Tool for very noticeable scratches.

But most of the time I just want the photos to be as realistic as possible imperfections and all. I'm scrapping real life and it isn't perfect so why should my photos be perfect. JMHO.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is cool to learn everyone's method. The action I use adjusts the brightness and the adds a soft light filter and then adds a hue/sat filter as well. It stops in the middle and lets you play with it as well. I have lightroom but have never figured it out. I should learn how to use it.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
This is cool to learn everyone's method. The action I use adjusts the brightness and the adds a soft light filter and then adds a hue/sat filter as well. It stops in the middle and lets you play with it as well. I have lightroom but have never figured it out. I should learn how to use it.
Me, too Kimberly!! I've had Lightroom (PS CC) for a couple of years with the intention of learning how to use it... still haven't. LOL!
Old 07-22-2020, 08:42 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post

It took me a long time to finally get my nerve up to try lightroom....I was so intiminated by it.... I don't know much about it, but I have a good friend that encouraged me to give it a try! (and she's always there if I have a question, which in the beginning was a lot!!!)

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 07-22-2020, 09:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I still use the Pioneer Woman's actions, too, Kimberly! I adjust the levels, too, sometimes, but mostly I'm happy with what PW Fresh & Colorful does for my photos.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think if I were better at editing without actions or presets I'd do it more.

I went to school for photography, have a degree and everything, but they didn't teach us very much at all about editing or using photoshop/lightroom. Which you think they would have.

I know I'll find an action or preset I love, use it forever and then I'll start not liking it after awhile.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I’m very OCD so YES I edit to brighten, adjust, sharpen, etc but also to change colors in clothing or to totally Sephora or black and white. When my photos do not blend with the kit I’m using I just can’t it sends me into OCD overload :/
Old 07-25-2020, 11:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

9 out of 10 times I edit my photos, only because I scrap my photos after the layout is completed and I might have to make them work with the color of the layout, etc. I use RadLab for my photos. It's the best and helps me quick edit them, adjust their brightness, etc.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:35 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I use to always edit my photos when I uploaded them from my DSLR through LR. but since I am just now starting back to scrapping and getting back in to the game, I've only been editing my pics as I scrap them and pretty much it's a simple brightness/contrast or levels or curves and if I want to change the color I have a ton of actions that I still use and I will use those every now and the
Old 07-27-2020, 10:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I edit all the photos from my camera in Lightroom when I upload them. My phone pictures I don’t edit.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:20 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I always edit my photo's before adding them to my pages... Most of the time I use photo actions from Paint the moon...