Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2009, 01:25 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm
Default how much milk do your kids drink?

I'm getting a tad annoyed by milk LOL (well soy milk for ce). I'm thinking maybe I let him drink too much and was wondering how much your kids had each day.. I never really paid attention to it.. the kid drinks a LOT of water, so I don't know how he's even drinking so much milk.. but a half gallon of soy milk will only last like a day with him. Spending 26 bucks a week JUST on his milk seems really stupid.. so he tends to go without milk for days because I'm not going to just keep buying and buying. I have to start restricting his drinking.. so what do you do.. 8oz a day? 16? how much.. (he's almost 6 btw)
Old 08-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

holy shiz. ya, soy milk as delish as it is, it's quite pricey. mine go through about a gallon a week of milk. for all three. they don't drink heeps of it. they do love the yogurt though. we buy loads of yogurt.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:30 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

yeh.. this is part of the problem.. my market stopped selling his yogurt- so it's like his main source of all that calcium & vitamin D crapola so I'm all argh about it.. LOL
Old 08-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

supah annoying. i'm sorry love.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We always restricted them to a glass of milk with their main meals....so 3 glasses a day. I always figured as long as they were getting fairly balanced meals and their vitamin, then the 3 glasses a day were sufficient.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My son will drink about 2 8oz. glasses a day. He'd drink a lot more if we let him, though, but I make him drink juice and water too.

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 08-18-2009, 01:41 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

My 3 year old has a dairy allergy, no milk or milk substitutes. Water and seriously diluted juice only. My 4 year old goes through about a gallon of milk per week. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My girls rarely get 2 glasses a day...I try to get them to drink it but they won't! Not even chocolate!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

oh man. Between my 2 girls and DH we go through about 2 1/2 gallons of milk a week. Emma usually has about 4 glasses a day, Madelyn gets 2ish sippy cups a day and Lord knows how much D drinks.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

my older kids (11,7 & 4) get 8 ozs of skim milk, 8 oz of fat free plain yogurt and 8oz of calcium fortified OJ a day.

my youngest (18 months) gets 12 ozs of whole milk, 8 oz of whole fat yougurt and 8 ozs of calcium fortified OJ a day!!!

They all also get a daily vitamin. there ped says it's perfect!!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Voodoo_Bryn

We go through a gallon of organic milk (which is priced at $6/gallon out here) every 3-4 days. Yorick gets about 36oz a day, which is WAY too much, but he cries SO LOUD for it and now Phineas is drinking about 10oz a day, too.

Bah, I'm sick of all this milk, too.

And breastfeeding, I'm sick of breastfeeding too, now that we're on the milk subject, LOL.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My kids practically swim in milk. They go through 3-4 gallons a milk a week between the two of them.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The boys get 1-2 small glasses (about 4-6 oz size) on days they ask for milk. Beyond that, we only buy milk to use in recipes and for Andrew to drink.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we go through milk like crazy. atleast half a gallon a DAY, if not more. seriously, lol. Aidan is milk freak and i love it too, in my coffee and by the cup. plus cooking with it. i buy around 3 gallons on average a week sometimes more, lol.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

The advice in Norway is about 1/2 litre a day, but that includes the milk you use on cereal and to cook. My kids would drink it all day long if i let them, so I usually limit it to a glass in the morning and a glass at night, plus the milk they get at nursery and school which is a couple of glasses a day I think. Plus cereal in the morning.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

We go through about 3 gallons a week. I drink a glass of milk at breakfast, and DH uses it with his cereal. The rest is all Rachel.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Susan Bartolini

LA, I am in the same situation as you. My son only drinks Vanilla Soy milk and sometimes juice. He goes through a half gallon every two days....so yeah....expensive.

Susan
Old 08-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

A gallon a week for the two of them (and me!). Generally we all have cereal and then sometimes a cookie and milk snack. Other than that, we all drink water. I probably err on the other side of not giving them enough milk, though...

Old 08-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Luckily we don't have any dairy allergies here, but two of my kiddos aren't really fond of milk . . . they probably have 3-4 cups a week with cereal. The one who loves it drinks 8 oz of skim a day plus whatever he gets in cereal.

But I do have to watch him or he would drink the whole gallon by himself in a couple of days.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

Don't I wish my child would drink even a little. L.J. hates milk, even milkshakes. We have to have a lot of yogurt and cheese around.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnieBananie

I've also raised a couple baby cows... and am married to one. I had to ration it so that it was a small glass at each meal, then water in between (occasionally juice but not too often), because we were going through a gallon per day!
Old 08-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a hard time getting my kids to drink milk! My son drinks a chocolate milk/day and a yogurt; we have to force my DD to drink it.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My girls don't drink much now that they are older, usually just in their cereal at breakfast. They both drink mostly water and occasionally juice if we have it. But we still manage to go through 2-3 gallons per week here because Kyle drinks a lot of milk and I also like to have a small glass of chocolate milk in the morning and then cooking of course. It's not so bad buying so much each week now that 2% milk is back down to 2/$5 @ Kroger most of the time.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo_Bryn View Post
We go through a gallon of organic milk (which is priced at $6/gallon out here) every 3-4 days. Yorick gets about 36oz a day, which is WAY too much, but he cries SO LOUD for it and now Phineas is drinking about 10oz a day, too.

Bah, I'm sick of all this milk, too.

And breastfeeding, I'm sick of breastfeeding too, now that we're on the milk subject, LOL.
Man do I feel you on the breastfeeding subject right now, but I keep telling myself that Ian needs it over cow's milk, especially since we will not be doing any of the suggested swine flu vaccines.

Aidan drinks anywhere from 8 oz of organic milk a day to 24 oz. Somedays she drinks way too much, IMO, but we let her do it because she still seriously needs the calories. On occassion, she will drink some of my expressed milk, as well.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

my kiddo hates milk... so I'm the only milk drinker and I go through 2.5 gals a week... hey, my dad is a milk hauler, grew up drinking to stuff!! But my ds can pack away the juice (which is seriously diluted with water) like no one's business... a gallon of juice and 2 gals of water mixed in 2-3 days.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

We go through 2-3 gallons a week here. The girls (5 and 2) and I drink it, we cook with it, and all 4 of us have it on our cereal. My youngest prefers milk to anything. We also have yogurt and cheese daily (we like our dairy).

Kristy
Old 08-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We go through 2-3 gallons a week for our family of 5. Dh and I rarely drink it - only if there is an oreo around or if we have it on cereal. The rest is all the kids. They love their milk!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

DS1 puts milk on his cereal and might ask for a glass of it during the day. DS2 might ask for a glass of it during the day. Both of them might have a milk based beverage like a smoothie or Carnation Instant Breakfast on random days. Mostly their dairy intake is cheese and yogurt.

It's DH & I that are the big milk drinkers.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

honestly we dont drink alot of milk. Id say maybe a glass a day. my middle son hates white milk so he will only drink it if we have chocolate syrup to flavor it. I only drink it when I have a bowl of cereal. I also pour it over my hot oatmeal which I usually have for breakfast every morning

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I know it is really bad for you an all but we go through sweet tea like you go through milk. between one and two gallons a day for the five of us!!

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I go to the store about once a week to 1.5 weeks. I buy a gallon of milk for my nearly 3 year old and a gallon of milk for my dh. My ds drinks a lot of diluated juice and water, too. I have no idea how that kid can drink so much plus eat so much. He's skinny.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

DS LOVES milk (and water), he has milk 3 times a day and sometimes he has it with a snack too. We go through about 2 galloons a week, but that's with my cereal every morning too.

Fan of ALL SSD Designers
Proud to create for:

Old 08-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

JJ looooooooooooooves chocolate milk. LOVES. At our walmart they have little 4 or 6 oz (i'm not sure and I'm too lazy to get up and go check) jugs of 2% choc and pink milk for like 30 cents. On the weekends, he will totally drink 4-5 of those a day if I don't pay attention. I'm not sure how much he drinks on a week day since he eats 2 meals and sometimes all 3 away from me, but he's a milk fiend.

I drink milk only with my cereal or with choco chip cookies.

Abby will drink pink milk but only generally has milk with her cereal and with lunch. Not her favorite.

Jeff won't drink the milk I buy, since he likes whole milk (puke) and I only keep 1% or 2% in the house.

We go through a gallon a week, usually. If JJ drank out of the gallon.. I would say we would go through one every 2 days.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

they have milk in their cereal in the morning ... and some days that will be all, other days they will have it with every meal. They are always drinking water, rarely juice.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's hard to get my teens (and 20yo) to drink milk...but if I buy the chocolate milk (and I also buy OJ with calcium) ... I can hardly keep it stocked...but I'm not complaining...for awhile there I couldn't get them to drink at all until I figured they would drink it this way. Much better than pop or kool-aid for them!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My boys LOVE milk!!! They drink 12-18 ozs a day....usually on the higher end of that range.

They still get Whole Milk and will continue until Seth has his 2 year check up in a few weeks. We may continue with it depending on what the doctor says. My boys are SUPER thin but VERY tall so the doctor doesn't mind they are getting the extra fat from Whole milk. They also get yogurt drinks in the morning, mixed with their milk (they split a little bottle)
The rest of the family drinks skim milk.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we go through about a ½gal a day between the 3 of us. C drinks the most though. dh and i normally only have it with dinner and maybe a little on my cereal in the morning (if i actually eat breakfast, that is).

C only drinks milk or water though (because i'm a meanie ). no juice or flavored milk or anything like that. so i don't really limit his intake. and he outgrew his milk/soy issues sometime after his first b-day, so he can have the cheap stuff now, lol. i'd probably want to limit it if he was still on rice milk or some other (not so cheap) substitute.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids usually just have one small glass of milk a day (or less because I have to watch my son w/ milk - he has constipation problems that we are really thinking is caused by milk) and then sometimes have milk & cereal for breakfast.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via ICQ to Lukasmummy Send a message via MSN to Lukasmummy Send a message via Yahoo to Lukasmummy

I'm not sure what size a gallon of milk is since we buy in pints and litres here (apparently 4 pints is equal to 0.600474 gallons, gotta love google lol) and to be honest I am not entirely sure how much milk we get through since Mark is the one who does the shopping. I know there are times when we use at least one 4 pint bottle a day, Nan uses at least one 2 pint bottle as well. Hugs Crystal xx
Old 08-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We never really drank milk in our home. I buy it for cereal, and that's about it. If I had chocolate powder or syrup, the boys would make some chocolate milk for a snack. We have never served milk with a meal and it was sometimes an issue when they would go to someone's house that did that and they made them drink a whole glass. They just found it too filling while having it with a meal...not that they didn't like milk.

We are water drinkers here...always have been and always will be. That is all we have with meals.

Personally, I just don't think milk is all that healthy for you!

LOL...can you tell I didn't "read" your question La? Ok...for Ce (and because it's soy milk and I think that's good for you)...I'd say 16 oz a day is all. I wouldn't allow more than that because he is using it like a snack then!

Last edited by 4noisyboys; 08-19-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When we drank milk my 3 boys went through about 6 gallons a week. We stopped early this year and moved them to calcium enriched OJ with meals, water between meals. They also have chocolate soymilk available to them but I think Jack is the only one that drinks it.

My soymillk drinker - Sam - used to go through 1/2 a gallon a day until we stopped letting him have sippy cups between meals. Now he only has soymilk at meals (water between) and that 1/2 gallon lasts 2 days. For a 6yo I'd say a glass at each meal and then water or juice after that.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

We ere on the side of too little milk, too. My kids get about 8-10 oz of ovaltine milk for breakfast, and that's it. But we do cheese and yogurt and fortified OJ and veg + a vitamin high in calcium.

We quit doing so much soy because of the health benefits (or un-benefits - whatever you call it) and because it's so bleedin' expensive once Whole Foods stopped it's .99 cent cartons (seriously - the quart was .99 all the time Connor was a toddler). We drink water pretty exclusively, after that, with an occasional small glass of juice for afternoon snacks.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

all my kids except the little one of course he is going to be 9 months old all drink about glasses a day chocolate milk strawberry milk they drink whatever i even try to put bananas strawberries for them in it they love it esp. my one year old that's one of the first things he asking for in the morning milk mama and hurry and get it !
Old 08-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Put it this way - I should have a cow out in my backyard! Too bad they don't allow them within the city limits!