Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default What does your baby daddy do?

I am curious. I know that Kat and I are married to firefighters. And my boys mimmick dad. They ride bikes and pretend they are responding to a call. Derek has the siren noise down! Cars slow down when they drive by our house. My Dh is a fire instructor as well. So he has to study before classes and my children know SOOOOOOOO much stuff they could probably be certified fire officers by now.
So, what does your baby daddy do to earn a living?
And do your little ones mimmick thier dads?
Old 05-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My DH is a law school professor. My DD wants to be a teacher and every night, she lines her stuffed animals up at the bottom of her bed and gives them long lectures and lessons. It's so funny -- I keep trying to get her on video, but she always sees me and stops.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
My DH is a law school professor. My DD wants to be a teacher and every night, she lines her stuffed animals up at the bottom of her bed and gives them long lectures and lessons. It's so funny -- I keep trying to get her on video, but she always sees me and stops.
That is hillarious!
Old 05-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My DH is a carpenter and DS loves to build, but sometimes he wants to be a "builder" when he grows up and other times it's a cop or firefighter.

Fan of ALL SSD Designers
Proud to create for:

Old 05-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My DH is in construction hence when my boys were little the loved all construction vehicles. The both wanted to be construction workers when they were small too but we've told them they are going to college and becoming a doctor and a lawyer! LOL!

Old 05-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My DH is a respiratory therapist. Our son likes to play "doctor" with his little play medical kit, but I think that is more because he has had multiple medical issues rather than because of his dad's profession. Our son does like to mimmick everything else he does though!
Old 05-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My DH works at a brokerage firm and is a regional branch supervisor. He's got 6 different licenses, but has never actually really traded with them other than the occasional account here and there. I don't think it's something my girls will actually pretend they are though, lol!!
Old 05-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbysMommy View Post
My DH works at a brokerage firm and is a regional branch supervisor. He's got 6 different licenses, but has never actually really traded with them other than the occasional account here and there. I don't think it's something my girls will actually pretend they are though, lol!!
Gotcha! How do play that anyway?
Old 05-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

My DH is a tech geek. He's director of network operations for an ISP. He writes a lot of code, oversees the various networked databases spread around the state & the people who manage them. He is also a certified climber, so due to employee cutbacks when there is a an urgent problem with equipment he often goes out to the site and climbs 100-300ft towers to replace or repair equipment.

The boys love playing on Daddy's computer
Old 05-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

My hubby is in the Navy... an Aviation Electrician. Since he's military, I don't think our girls have ever been to where he works during working hours to actually see what daddy does. Now my mother who's a Beautician is the one they mimic all the time. It is so cute when they get their little doll heads in the booth and wrap curlers up in the hair... or even give them a trim with the scissors (yikes I freaked when mom told me about this!). In so many ways it reminds me of me when I was little and I wanted to be Beautician too... but by the time I was in HS I realize the headaches my mom had to put up with and knew this wasn't the job for me.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

My DH is a truck driver for FedEx. Rachel knows Daddy drives big trucks, and whenever she sees a FedEx logo, she says 'Daddy work'. Right now, at 3, she wants to be a firefighter and a princess. She's a girly-girl and a tomboy rolled into one.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:03 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

my husband isnt working right now but when he was he was an auto body tech/mechanic. My son would go to work with his dad alot on his days off of school and help him so he probably could be a body tech but I am praying that he chooses something totally different. My husbands father's father was a body tech. My husband's father was a body tech and my husband and his three brother's and his nephew are all body techs. It is really demanding physically and very competitive and a very very slow business right now. Alot of body shops around us are simply closing their doors due to lack of work. Before he did body/mechanical work he did construction and before that commercial lawn maintenance. The lawn maintenace and construction were both very short-lived jobs as he did not do very well with them

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdumas View Post
Gotcha! How do play that anyway?
I wouldn't even know, lol!!
Old 05-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Mine is active duty National Guard which means that's his full time job even when he's not deployed. He's an 8 year Captain right now and up for promotion to Major whenever the Army sees fit to promote him. DS isn't really into playing soldier right now...DH has tried buying him little army men and tanks but he's too into trains and cars right now...I'm pretty sure he'll get into when he's a little older.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My hubby is a steel worker. HE does all kinds of stuff those and drives a lot of heavy equipment like cranes and fork lifts at times. The boys love to play like that!
Old 05-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

My DH is a cop in the RCMP, but my kids have shown no interest in becoming one, and they don't play cops, not even my son. They never have played police man either, even though people think it's great to get them police cars, hats, etc, as toys. Benjamin wants to be a scientist, Amelia a doctor and I don't know about Rae, I figure she'll be an actress or a politician, because she's so outgoing LOL.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mandy

My DH is in the Navy. Normally, he's a Machinist Mate (Engineer) and works on steam catapults and things related to that on aircraft carriers.
My DS wants to be an Army sniper. LOL

Old 05-24-2009, 10:33 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

My dh is an Infrastructure Consultant for a major software corporation. It's hard to explain exactly what he does but when corporations need their servers and stuff like that to work better together, they call him in. He also specializes in IT security so he keeps the hackers out! But this is on a much bigger scale that just the average desktop. So I'm usually the one to fix my computer even though I have a computer genius living in my home.

My boys don't really understand what he does other than that Daddy goes to work and has a lot of meetings on the webcam and phone. LOL!

It's been fun reading what your DH's do!
Old 05-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My dh uses a CAD program for a living...he used to draw up the fixture layouts for all the Payless Cashways, Knox, Furrow, Lumberjack stores in the USA...after they closed their doors he started working for Sprint. He draws up basically the same thing (store layouts) for Sprint & Nextel across the USA.

My oldest (20 now) used to watch his dad draw things on the computer when he was younger. DH is very good at woodworking...so he would draw up furniture he was going to build us on the computer and then build it. In high school and college my ds took CAD and was very good at it. He even drew up plans to build a table with a drawer and surprised me with it for Christmas one year. He definitely has the knack that his dad has.

The younger ones are just now (15 and 13) getting interested in drawing on the computer. I hope to teach them Photoshop soon. When they were young they would mimic dad and use their tools to pretend to build things. Now all 3 boys are basically gamers...which their dad is not. lol

Of course they all want cool phones like their dad has...or even cooler. lol We just got the two younger ones a phone to share and they think it is pretty cool.

When my 20yo ds was about 12-15 years old he used to go to paper scrapbooking crops with me occasionally. He hasn't touched scrapbooking in about 5 years now. Sigh. No one is taking after mommy.

My 20yo ds will be starting DeVry University in July to get a degree in Multi Media Design (graphic arts)... so I guess he is in a way following in both our footsteps. lol
Old 05-24-2009, 10:43 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

My boyfriend is an IT compliance officer at a bank, and previously he had been an auditor. Both of us work IT (me in infrastructure and him ensuring compliance in the application side)

I don't have kids, but definitely his kids mimic him, with the whole interest in computers.

Happily scrapping for:
Tracie Stroud, Dani Mogstad, Krystal Hartley, Megan Turnidge, Kristin Cronin Barrow
Scrap Orchard, Polka Dot Plum, Elemental Scraps

Old 05-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

My husband works for Southwest Airlines. He's a provisioning agent (they put the drinks and peanuts on the planes inbetween flights...among other things). My kids don't mimick that but they love planes. Ever since they were small we would point out the bright orange and now blright blue planes as they fly over our house and say, "there's one of Daddy's planes." Now they just refer to them as Daddy's planes.

My son is 7 and into military stuff. My dad was a marine back in the day (fought in Vietnam and spent lots of time in the jungle and on aircraft carriers) and my son loves to pump him for inside information on wars and the military. He has so many of those green plastic army men we have lost track and is always playing army. We even bought him a book about WWII.

Based on what he likes now I think he would either eventually join the military or study history with an emphasis on military history. The boy loves the history channel and went nuts when we went to the museum of science and industry here because they have a whole exibit about a German sub we captured in WWII...lots of historical exhibits (he wants to go back and actually go on the sub next time)

My girls...they want to be artists and ballerinas and stuff, lol.
my blog ~ my Flickr
Old 05-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My baby daddy is in route sales with Entemann's/Oroweat. I like to say that he brings home the dough!! LMAO!!!

Seriously though, he's the guy that drives the goods ^ to the market and puts them on the shelf.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:24 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Sean works at Home Depot, he has a couple classes left until he has his degree in IT, so hopefully he'll be doing something with that next year.

Not really, Keira knows where daddy's work is, but she could care less about selling applicances. LOL!
Old 05-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

DH does IT schtuff. he's a systems analyst for a large network of hospitals. he works more with coding and keeping the network running smoothly than like helping people set up their printers or something. LOL... i really can't explain it and don't care to have him explain it to me yet again just so i can type it all out here.

anyway, DS has never been to daddy's work during business hours... but daddy basically just sits behind a desk (well, 2 desks... he has 2 computers set up and each one has a different purpose) so there's not much to see. and i highly doubt ds cares what the billing code is for an MRI or a pap smear... dh can (and will) list those off the top of his head, as if people care.

DS does have a little toy laptop, but he's more into trains, cars and getting dirty outside.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My DH is a truck driver for a company around here called Gilster Mary Lee. He is out during the week and home on weekends. My boys think the big trucks are cool etc. but my daughter just sees the big trucks and says daddy. Both the boys say they want to drive a truck, but also have the police/fire fighter/military dreams.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Andrew is an inpatient technical services engineer, aka tech support on steroids. He works for a company that writes medical records software.

I wouldn't be at all suprised if Devin followed in Andrew's footsteps and got a job in the computer field somewhere. JP, otoh, wants to be a plumber since he's convinced he doesn't need to do well in school to be one.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Brent is a Design/Sales Engineer for a company that builds air filtration systems for all sorts of folks. When we met he was a grain trader and had worked for ConAgra for many years, but he absolutely loves the new job he has now a lot more than he ever did in the grain business. Our son hasn't really shown any interest in Daddy's job yet and the other day when I asked him what he wanted to be when he grows up he said "Elmo".
Old 05-24-2009, 11:55 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My hubs teaches AP Politics & Government. Occasionally he coaches basketball --more for leisure than money, since it really doesn't pay much, lol.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

My Husband works at Microsoft as a Development Manager for one of the Xbox Divisions. He used to actually make Video games and was coding all the time and we rarely saw him. If anyone knows anything about the video game industry you know its not the most "stable" of jobs. We were in and out of work it seemed like every 2 or 3 years. Finally we got tired of it and he applied at Microsoft in one of the other divisions of Xbox he got the job and now he is quickly climbing up the ladder. I couldn't be more proud of all he has accomplished considering he dropped out of high school in 12th grade, we had 2 kids when he got his high school diploma so he could start college and 1 child on the way when he graduated college. Here we are now with 5 kids and a great life we have really been blessed.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My DH works for the Bureau of Land Management mapping fires that occur on federal lands.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My DH does drywall & paint. And amazingly enough, he really likes it! Which is good, because a lot of people around here don't and so he keeps busy all the time .

When we met, were dating and then first married, he was working at a call centre as tech support for Roadrunner Internet... he did that for about 2 years. Before that, he had worked at a glass plant making windows for huge glass highrises. The shop was in Kamloops, but the windows went all over Canada. Before THAT, he was in school to become a architect, but he didn't like it and dropped out after a year.

Huge fan of:

Old 05-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

um Jae ... I worked at Convergys in Kamloops (I did Amex & FedEx though) ... and my hubby worked at a glass wall/window shop in Kamloops too (up above Costco).... hmmmm

My husband is a Section Repair Technician - aka Tire Vulcanizer. He fixes the holes in the huge tires from the haul trucks at the mines. Grubby, dirty work, but he likes it.
https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=40720&ppuser=2436

Oh, and NONE of the children show any desire to be like Daddy. lol Daddy comes home smelling like coal and rubber, not a too pleasant mix. Although the two little ones like to point out Daddy's tires on trucks being hauled to and from the mines.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

He's a warehouse supervisor. Not the top dog, he's the middle man who gets to deal with everybody's screw-ups and doesn't get paid half what the guy above him does. He has to deal with folk from other departments fussing at him half the night for stuff completely out of his control. He works for Revlon......which made a nice profit last year and is in some serious financial mess this year. They've been like that over the last 8 years, back and forth, and always bounced back. We are really blessed because his position would be one of the very last to go should the company shut down. I mean, all of Revlon would have to go overseas or bye-bye for him to lose his job, thank the Lord. But still you never know. We just count our blessings every day. They have been one awesome company to work for. Benefits, insurance (which is pricey but at least we have it), profit sharing, tons of freebies like Durham bulls tickets, and a yearly carnival like thing for employees and their families. I don't know of anywhere he or I have ever worked for that treats their employees better. We love Revlon.

I work for my dad doing any computer related stuff he needs (small sporting goods store). It's never a set hours thing and I do it from home. Can't complain.

facebook
Old 05-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

My hubby is a photographer and neither of my kids can keep their hands off my point-and-shoot (daddy's cameras are off-limits even to me!) They don't get to see daddy in action a lot because he mostly shoots weddings, but my daughter has said that she might like to be a photographer too.

I did a layout last year from some photos he took of them imitating him.
https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...36&ppuser=2405
Old 05-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny

Jeff works for Hewlett-Packard in their server division doing mostly tech support. Our oldest son, Cameron, is really into technology and loves computers and electronics. His favorite toy as a baby/toddler was an old keyboard we let him have.

creating for
* 9th & Bloom * Jennifer Barrette Designs * Polly & Rufus Designs *

Old 05-24-2009, 01:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My DH was a chemist once-upon-a-time, but thanks to redundancy is now in IT quality & security. We try to encourage both skills with our son, Alex. He loves doing science experiments, naturally the messier the better, and at 6, really has excellent computer skills.

He likes to 'help' his daddy with stuff when DH occasionally brings work home - once Alex very helpfully picked off all the letters from DH's laptop so that he could put them into alphabetical order to make daddy's work easier

It was one of those situations you mustn't laugh at, even though you find it very funny and rather sweet in a way - after all he was only trying to help, honestly! ...but DH went a very interesting shade of green and then purple, and then, well you can imagine the incoherant yelling.

BTW, when he was 3, I asked Alex what he wanted to be when he grew up. His most excellent, dead-pan answer: Taller.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Darik is a heavy machinery operator (Local 150). He normally drives a backhoe but he really just does whatever they need him to do. He started working for a company around here that gets all the big interstate/shopping mall jobs so he'll hopefully never be out of work. We were getting worried a couple years ago when the subdivision jobs started dying down. Emma's too much of a girly-girl to even have any interest in pretending to be like Daddy. She does like to drive to where he's working and watch him do stuff though. She thinks it's really cool to watch him "on the big machine." Madelyn's too little to even really care LOL

Old 05-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My dh is an electrician, but really only does big commercial jobs. He worked on the Microsoft campus for many many years, mainly doing all the security work...making sure that Bill Gates was safe no matter where he was on the grounds!

My dh and all his brothers are electricians. Several have had or have their own business, and one is an electrical engineer too. Their dad was also an electrician.

Not one of my boys has any interest of going into this field. I have two boys that are color blind, so they don't have any choice...they can't see the different colors of some of the wires, and that could be very dangerous

My oldest son is in retail management, but I really wish he'd go back to school and get his degree.

My second son is learning every part of the business for a family member that owns a spa factory. He has been office manager, and now he is the shipping manager. He is so talented though, and really will do well if he ends up taking over the business someday. He's got a great business mind, and is such a hard worker.

My third son does nothing...LOL. He has learning difficulties, and is also bipolar. He's tried college, would like to be a welder (he's one that is color blind) but the colleges that offer it are too far from us.

My fourth son will graduate this year. He is my creative one, and will be going to college. He really wants to be a writer, and it is really an area he is gifted in, but who knows. Once he starts studying in college, all that can change!

All my boys were different. Some loved sports and wanted to play professionally, others loved playing cars and trucks and were going to be truck drivers...funny that no one wanted to do what their dad did. Maybe it wasn't glamorous enough!
Old 05-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My hubby is an accountant and does governmental auditing for towns/cities/counties all over the state. He has to deal with all of the political stuff, which can be a huge pain for him, but overall, he likes his work. He gets to meet lots of interesting people and has a few awesome "perk" jobs. Thrilling, huh?

Old 05-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Hubby works as a division operations manager for a company called ISS International (provides services for events, venues, stadiums, arenas, etc) worldwide. Baseball season is a busy time for him, so during spring training we took our daughter to her first baseball game. Now, we play baseball in the yard, every sport on T.V is baseball, and everytime we drive by the fields she either says "baseball game" or "daddy's work".

Sweet Shoppe Gallery
Tiffany's Tidbits
Old 05-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My DH is a 4th grade teacher, my girls do like to "play school" quite a bit but I don't think either have expressed an interest in being a teacher like Daddy yet. Kaylie is 7 and has said for a couple of years now she wants to be a vet, and she loves animals so I could totally see her doing that. Kelsie is 5 and I don't think she's ever really said what she wants to do when she gets bigger but of the two girls I think she would be the one to follow in Daddy's footsteps and be a teacher.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to MelissaL88

My husband is in Graduate School...getting a Ph. D. in History. Prior to that, he was a software engineer...writing miles and miles of custom software for companies. Both my kids are interested in computers. My youngest just asked yesterday how to create a web page. Dan told him that when he's a little older (he's 8) he'll teach him how. LOL! My oldest has interest in other things: Sports & Animals LOL!
Old 05-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My dh is a musician and works in the music industry. My son does love to play drums, but he told me the other day he was a fireman. He's only 2.5 though. I can imagine, I will have to endure many years of him trying to play music like Daddy someday though.

It was interesting to read all these jobs. Sheri, I have been considering going back to college when I am closer to being retired from the military to get a degree in teaching to match my Poli Sci one so I can teach Poli Sci and Gov't to high schoolers. Nikki, I am active duty Air Guard, so I understand the explaining that not everyone is traditional Guard thing.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scarletsierra

My DH is Active Duty Air Force and and even though she's all about Daddy right now,my bugga has no interest whatsoever in any of his job related activities/gear/uniforms, etc. lol... Right now it's all about books and animals for her. She loves, loves, loves them!
Old 05-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Whatever I tell him too!
Old 05-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

My husband's official title is behavior specialist. He works at the school at a children's home for troubled kids-- his job is basically what an assistant principal does, which is the discipline/restraints and manages the teachers.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallMoments View Post
My husband's official title is behavior specialist. He works at the school at a children's home for troubled kids-- his job is basically what an assistant principal does, which is the discipline/restraints and manages the teachers.
Dang-I wish he would come and take over at the program I work out-our principal is a total boob.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

[QUOTE=livelys;456731He likes to 'help' his daddy with stuff when DH occasionally brings work home - once Alex very helpfully picked off all the letters from DH's laptop so that he could put them into alphabetical order to make daddy's work easier [/QUOTE]

LOL at this! What a cute story.

My DH's job is a little hard to describe, too. He works for the federal government in an agency under Health and Human Services and does a little of everything for them--some personnel, some policy, some budget, lots of meetings.

My oldest likes to pretend he works in an office sometimes. My father is an aeronautical engineer who designs helicopters, and for now that's more exciting to both of the boys. I can see DS1 following in grandpa's footsteps and being an engineer.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

my hubby is the principal of the middle school where we live. Right now he gets the pleasure of having dd#1 going through his school. When she finishes dd#2 will be in 6th grade and ready to survive daddy's school! (being the principal's daughter sucks)

My oldest has expressed interest in teaching... but with me being a teacher.. it's all she's seen LOL

Old 05-24-2009, 09:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My DH is military, but aside from the girls seeing him in uniform a few times I don't think they really know what he does. He goes to work in civilian clothes, gets changed into uniform there, and gets changed again at the end of the day to come home, so it's not often they see the uniform except hanging on the washing line.