Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2019, 09:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Do you print your pages?

I've been doing this hobby a long time (14 years this past Christmas!) and I've always been adamant that my pages get printed. I don't scrap in order so I print them as a photo print (used to be 12x12 and now 8x8), whenever Persnickety has print credits I buy some.

I've been cleaning a lot of things around the house over the Christmas break and it occurred to me I don't know WHY I print. I have a whole shelf full of albums no one has ever looked through.

So, just wondering - do you print? Do people actually look at your albums? It seems like a big step to just not print anymore to me, but I don't know why I do it ....

Old 01-02-2019, 10:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ugh, I've been lax on printing for the last three years or so... I now only print the ones with my son from the last year - I tape them up on the wall for his birthday party so people. My problem is that they are all in heavy D ring binders and people find awkward to go through... yet my December Daily and Project Life bound books, people look at. And I'm like you - I don't scrap in order so I'm kind of stuck... I don't know what to do.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:42 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I scrap and print out of order (but I usually stick them in books in order after printing), usually print just a few times a year when there's a sale or I have "enough" to make it practical.

My kids go through spurts where they pull the albums down & look at the pages. They are big, heavy, bulky & awkward, though. I've thought about printing 8x8 instead to make the books easier to handle, but I'm not sure.
I recently had a friend over and pulled out a scrapbook to show her one page that was relevant to our conversation. I was so happy when she (voluntarily, ha!) continued flipping through the entire book.

Another friend told me that she puts her Christmas pages in their own album and only brings that album out at Christmas time. I love that idea & I feel like it would increase the viewing because of it's "seasonal availability" haha.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:14 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've always printed. It used to be single pages in albums, then beginning with 2016 I started doing bound photo books. It was a big change in how I scrap. I used to skip around more, but now I have to pick a given time period (4-6 months) and work only on that until it's finished and can be printed. There are positives and negatives, but I don't want to go back to printing single pages.

My daughter loves looking through the albums. The rest of us are occasional viewers--we sometimes get an album out because we're discussing something we know is scrapped in it, and once it's out we flip through the whole album.

If you're considering not printing any more, what about a digital frame? We have a small one, and my family looks at those photos more than any printed photo albums. I don't know what sizes they come in, but you could probably display 8x8's on an 8x10 frame if there aren't square frames.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2019, 10:25 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I could have written this!
I have stopped printing because I just don't have the space to store thick 3 ring scrapbooks. I gave up my office so my DD1 could have her own room. My scrapbooks are sitting in the garage! I can't even park my car in there anymore It has been too cold to organize the garage and our shed.
Ideally I want to print photo books from Shutterfly or Blurb but I don't scrap chronologically so I don't have many/any years complete.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:27 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
I scrap and print out of order (but I usually stick them in books in order after printing), usually print just a few times a year when there's a sale or I have "enough" to make it practical.

My kids go through spurts where they pull the albums down & look at the pages. They are big, heavy, bulky & awkward, though. I've thought about printing 8x8 instead to make the books easier to handle, but I'm not sure.
I recently had a friend over and pulled out a scrapbook to show her one page that was relevant to our conversation. I was so happy when she (voluntarily, ha!) continued flipping through the entire book.

Another friend told me that she puts her Christmas pages in their own album and only brings that album out at Christmas time. I love that idea & I feel like it would increase the viewing because of it's "seasonal availability" haha.
Hi Bec!!

My DD Albums stay out all year round. Last year I also ordered ReSnap yearly photo albums for the past 3 years. They are 6x8 albums that stay out all year and get looked at occasionally. I also have a shelf with my Shutterfly scrapbooks that also get flipped through occasionally.
I think we are due for a Vimeo (Home Video) and scrapbook viewing party!!
Old 01-03-2019, 11:04 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I scrap for me, and I print for me. I don't care whether anyone else likes it or looks at them.

#thisiswhathappenswhenyourealmost39 #icounttoo
Old 01-03-2019, 11:09 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I print photo books. I try to stay somewhat current in my scrapping, so that I'm not too "behind" chronologically. I typically print 3-4 volumes per year, and my family enjoys looking at them. Like LeeAndra, though, I scrap and print for me and I don't care if others ever look at them. I mean, I love it when they do, but that's not my motivation to print.
It can be a drag to make myself finish up pages just so I can print the book, but it's been a good practice for me and it challenges me creatively as well. I do often scrap older photos though, and I have made a template that has "Flashback: year" along the bottom. I plug the page from the past into it and just include it in whatever book I happen to be printing. This has been very freeing for me!

Old 01-03-2019, 11:11 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I scrap for me, and I print for me. I don't care whether anyone else likes it or looks at them.

#thisiswhathappenswhenyourealmost39 #icounttoo
Love this reason! And had to laugh because I *am* 39 (just turned) lol

Old 01-03-2019, 12:33 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
I do often scrap older photos though, and I have made a template that has "Flashback: year" along the bottom. I plug the page from the past into it and just include it in whatever book I happen to be printing. This has been very freeing for me!
This is such a fun (and yes, freeing!) idea!!
Old 01-03-2019, 01:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to be so much better about printing photo books (bound ones through Shutterfly). I did themed and event books most of the time then. Lately when I print a photo book (since I am NOT organized) I just print a large book of random scrapbook pages. I find that the books my family enjoy. My old scrapbook albums from when I paper scrapped never get looked at. The books (at 8x8) are so much easier to sit, thumb through and digest.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalund View Post
I think we are due for a Vimeo (Home Video) and scrapbook viewing party!!
We were just talking about doing this last night.

I *NEED* to get pages printed. I have Persnickety credits, but I have so many pages to print, I put it off.
My goal is for my kids to have their scrapbooks so that they and their kids (only DD has kids so far) can look through them. My mom gave me 4 big CM scrapbooks that she made of my growing up that include all the goodies that she saved. They are fun to go through once in a while. My kids get a kick out of them. They are big, heavy and bulky, so my grandkids would need help looking at them (they are paper-scrapped). I have saved a lot of goodies for my kids, but have also scanned a lot, so they won't be quite as cumbersome.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

yes I print my albums. No I don't scrap chronological order. So when I print my albums, EACH of the kids get their own 100-page album that of the layouts I have scrapped, are printed in chronological order. If it's a vacation album (like Disney), it's all done in chronological order. If the layout includes more than one kid, then it gets put in to a "children" folder where it gets printed in chronological order with the layouts that have been scrapped.

I guess I should say, yes. My layouts get printed. Yes my family LOVES to look at them and show them to people when they come over.

No, I don't scrap chronological order. But I will print what is scrapped in order so it flows correctly. I'm sure it's a mess, but it works for me, my scrapping and my family!
Old 01-03-2019, 03:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I make 8x8 photobooks of each year. I do NOT scrap chronologically and when I have a particular year done I get the book done. It may seem weird to do it out of order, but it works for me. My daughter (now 18) looks at them and I do as well. She'll have them one day to show her kids
Old 01-03-2019, 10:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't printed hardly any. In the 10 years I've been scrapping, I've probably printed 200 pages out of thousands I've scrapped. I've started and not finished compiling Blurb books multiple times. I just never know how to do it to make sure nothing gets cut off...it's somehow confusing to me, or at least it was 2 years ago when I last attempted it lol.

I am not a chronological scrapper either, but my theory on books is that they don't have to be chronological. It doesn't matter the order or the age to me, just that I get them in there. Ideally, every year I'd print 1 book for each of the kids that has all the pages I've scrapped for them for the year. This theory has not become reality quite yet though!
Old 01-03-2019, 11:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use to print when we had a bit more money and it wasn't as drastic of a thing. my kids do look through their books when they're available, but we don't have room to display them in our new house, so they're in storage. I have SOOOO many pages that need to be printed.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I print on a regular basis, normally 3-4 times a year. To me, not printing would be like getting family photos done and not displaying them!! I love getting them in the mail and putting them in albums. It's ok that they don't get looked at on a daily basis. My kids enjoy them from time to time and I know they will really appreciate them as adults. Right now, they are mainly for me and that's ok.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I print books once a year. They usually range from 130-150 pages. I give them as gifts to parents. I take them out and look at them every once in a while and I know our parents look at them periodically too. I get very particular about whether the photos are out of sequence, though they are typically pretty close. I usually scrap with my current photos and I name my files so they will naturally be sorted chronologically.