Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 11-16-2021, 10:12 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Quick Questions - 11/16

Whoa .... time is flying by. I feel like the last few weeks got away from me and haven't had a free moment to really breathe.

But it's Tuesday, I'm sitting at my desk here at work and I am procrastinating on the work I should be doing. lol

So I've got a few quick questions for you all today.

1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month?

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet?

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you?

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week?

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack?

1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month?
I've answered a few, but the days got away from me ...I need to answer todays.

Yes, we're keeping it low key and since it's only us 4 we've decided to do Chinese take out!! lol

Being with my kids and hubby. I love the extra days off so that we can just hang and have fun together, whether watching movies, playing games or listening to music.

Not really....

Pretzels! or Popcorn!

Old 11-16-2021, 11:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's not that I'm not thankful, but I have not been posting to that great thread.

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? Oh yeah! I've been baking and freezing stuff too. I made the bread yesterday.

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? Family time!

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? Nope. Trying to say on top of things.

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? Rold Gold pretzels or rice cakes
Old 11-16-2021, 11:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month? I have not posted, but I have enjoyed reading the posts.

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? We've given it a little thought but my mom is still willing and able to make most of the food so we'll just supplement a few items. My guy did some shopping last week and apparently has the alcohol taken care of and we picked up my fave sugar water, er, St Julians Sparking Raspberry wine for the kids (and me!!!)

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? Family time

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? There's always something that's getting put off around here.

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? Low calorie.. hmm........... we have some really good blueberries in the fridge right now which is quite out of the ordinary
Old 11-16-2021, 01:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month? Sadly, no.

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? I haven't specifically planned it, but I kind of have a standard list of from passed years.

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? Just the whole vibe ... and the celebration of friendships and family

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? Nope! lol

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? Fruit - berries, grapes, apples, etc
Old 11-16-2021, 01:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month? Yes, although some days I struggle to find something to be thankful for and what I do choose is piddly.

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? We had our Thanksgiving last month. We had the standard fare of turkey, veggies, roast potatoes, cranberry sauce, apple and pumpkin pie.

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? Being with family. Even though my family is small and it's relatively easy to get together, it's just a different feeling when it's a holiday.

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? Everything that has to do with my house. Work is so busy I don't have the energy or motivation to do anything once I'm home.

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? Trying not to snack, lol
Old 11-16-2021, 02:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

just a few of them.

We always have the same things for Thanksgiving, so YES!

Seeing the joy of the season on my kids' faces. My daughter is 17, and my one son is 14, so anytime I can spend time with some happy teenagers is a plus! My youngest is 11, so he doesn't believe in Santa anymore, but he still loves the 'magic' of the season!

Not really, trying to stay on top of all my "MOMMY" chores!

5. What's your favorite LOW-calorie snack?
don't know if it's low-calorie, but soft pretzels or pumpkin bread!! YUM!!
Old 11-16-2021, 02:28 PM
Banned

profile gallery

1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month? I have not

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? We make the same tasty food every year, so no planning is required

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? Catching up with friends and family and all the tasty treats!

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? No. I try to stay on track!

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? Fresh fruit - right now I have some grapes, cherries, and apples on hand
Old 11-16-2021, 02:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

yes I have every day so far.

Yes, it will be at our house with my husband's father and his wife. Big meals and receiving people stresses me out but here is the meal I'm planning.

Crackers with cheese ball and paté. I think it's chicken liver from Trader Joe's, don't say yuck until you've tried!
Turkey and gravy
Green beans with butter (not that nasty casserole)
Bread rolls
Cranberry sauce from a can (because they all love it here)
Salad? who even eats salad besides me...
Pecan and pumpkin pies (from the same local market I'm getting the turkey from to make it easier on me)

I don't care too much about Thanksgiving because I wasn't raised here in the US but I used to love spending it with family when we lived close to them. Now it's a bit different. We only have Ben's dad 2 hours away. It's just like another day. But for Xmas I love the food and the presents (even though my girls are such spoiled brats)

I did procrastinate creating a layout yesterday because I knew I had more than a week to make it.

I don't look at calories. Whatever excites my taste buds.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No, I have not. I have read a few posts though.

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? Yes. Hubby cooks the main dishes and I am in charge of dessert!

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? Gathering with family and friends.

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? Not really.

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? Any type of fruit; mostly berries.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I meant to but totally failed!

I didn't think I needed to plan a menu since it was going to be just the 3 of us, but apparently we are going to have company, so I better do something.

Holiday season is actually not one of my favorites, not sure why my depression kicks in. Not looking forward to it.

ON EVERYTHING! Returning some sneakers to Amazon, cleaning the house, laundry, work search....

This was the hardest of all the questions. I guess it would be granny smith apples w/ peanut/almond butter on top.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month? Yes! Having a gratitude practice is a characteristic of whole-hearted living, according to Brene Brown, so I'm always glad to have an outlet for it.

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? I don't cook for Thanksgiving, but our menu is set. We get together with fellow Americans, and my husband is making a turkey, cornbread and homemade cranberry sauce as our contribution. I hit the jackpot with that guy!

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? Nothing. I hate it.

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? Always. Our school is hoping to be back in person next week, and I have done zero things to get ready for it. I have, however, scrapped half a dozen pages this week about things like my thoughts on the Harry Potter series and my son's love of Dr. Pepper, so important things, clearly.

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? Fruit, mostly apples.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month? I started doing them at the beginning of the month, but a vacation and household stuff took over!

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? My husband works the night before and the night of. He is the big cook in our family, so we are apparently going to my inlaws. And since I am not the cook, I am not allowed/asked to bring anything. So nope!

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? Being thankful for all we have, spending time with my family

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? Nope, been too busy to procrastinate! Just got back from a short WDW vacation with my friend, so it's been busy with laundry, dishes, cleaning, unpacking, and catching up with my family!

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? ummmm....nothing? I am allergic to fake sugar- sucralose, splenda, stevia. So it's high calorie or I get sick! So...does salad count?
Old 11-16-2021, 11:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I started out good for the first few, but man, we are NEXT LEVEL busy with our kids' activities right now. Literally we have something every single weeknight & busy weekends on top of our normal level of crazy....

We were just talking today about it. I know for a fact that I'm doing the turkey, cranberries (I have a super yummy instantpot recipe!), mashed potatoes (gotta go with the yukon golds) and pies. I'll probably start baking Tuesday night/Wednesday.

Doing all the fun holiday things with each other!

I really need to drain the hot tub & add new water/chemicals... it's a chore and I've totally procrastinated doing it the last few weeks- but it'll happen this weekend at the latest. I also need to descale my keurig...

Almonds!
Old 11-17-2021, 12:19 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month? No. When I start something like that, it turns into a time suck...I'm not capable of answering quickly. I end up spending way too long on my answers.

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? We're going to my sister's. We have to travel, so I can't really make stuff here to bring. I'll help once we're there, but probably only easy stuff like the salad since she likes to do things her way.

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? Having everyone together. Thanksgiving is my family's big holiday when everyone gets together. Although I've seen some of the families, this will be the first time we've all been together since Nov. 2019. I also like the time off work and school!

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? I spent some of last week procrastinating a paper I had to write, so this week I've had to put off everything else to get it done. Handed it in an hour ago, so starting after work tomorrow I have to get to all the things I've put off.

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? Popcorn! I make air popped popcorn in the microwave, and it's so good! I also like to sip hot drinks.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:28 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month? I have been trying to make sure I post something every day. Honestly, it has helped improve my mood so much to think about, and appreciate, the good things in my life.

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? Nothing to plan, really. We've had the same menu since we were kids and I have had the same responsibilities, dips and a dessert, for over 20 years now. My sister hosts and cooks now, and wants to do it all, so I let her. LOL

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? I am not a big holiday person, but I do love spending time with my family and adopting a family for Christmas. I also love giving gifts, but I tend to give all year round, so Christmas isn't that different in that area. I actually do my best to make sure I "donate" 10% of my extra income from designing, to a person or cause each month. I know how lucky I am to be able to earn money doing something I love, so I want to share that fortune with others.

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? LOL, designing. My day job has been kicking my butt all year long, so I'm tired in the evenings and just don't feel creative. Last night I didn't start designing until after 9 pm and got very little done.

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? Pickles and pudding, but not together. LOL
Old 11-17-2021, 12:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Lots of apple lovers in here! ♥

Old 11-17-2021, 12:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
It's not that I'm not thankful, but I have not been posting to that great thread.

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? Oh yeah! I've been baking and freezing stuff too. I made the bread yesterday.

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? Family time!

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? Nope. Trying to say on top of things.

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? Rold Gold pretzels or rice cakes

Rold Gold are my faves too

Old 11-17-2021, 12:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienejen View Post
1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month? I have not posted, but I have enjoyed reading the posts.

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? We've given it a little thought but my mom is still willing and able to make most of the food so we'll just supplement a few items. My guy did some shopping last week and apparently has the alcohol taken care of and we picked up my fave sugar water, er, St Julians Sparking Raspberry wine for the kids (and me!!!)

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? Family time

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? There's always something that's getting put off around here.

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? Low calorie.. hmm........... we have some really good blueberries in the fridge right now which is quite out of the ordinary
Family time is the best!

SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month? Sadly, no.

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? I haven't specifically planned it, but I kind of have a standard list of from passed years.

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? Just the whole vibe ... and the celebration of friendships and family

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? Nope! lol

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? Fruit - berries, grapes, apples, etc

I want some grapes now.

SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month? Yes, although some days I struggle to find something to be thankful for and what I do choose is piddly.

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? We had our Thanksgiving last month. We had the standard fare of turkey, veggies, roast potatoes, cranberry sauce, apple and pumpkin pie.

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? Being with family. Even though my family is small and it's relatively easy to get together, it's just a different feeling when it's a holiday.

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? Everything that has to do with my house. Work is so busy I don't have the energy or motivation to do anything once I'm home.

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? Trying not to snack, lol

I try not to, which is why I asked about LOW cal. ROFL

Old 11-17-2021, 12:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month? I did the first few days and then ran out of things to say, lol.

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? Ours was last month and fell on my granddaughter's birthday so we had more of a birthday celebration instead of Thanksgiving.

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? Watching my grandkids open their presents from us. This year we got them skates as their main gift so can't wait to see their reaction. Not sure when we'll all get together since one of my boys works in security and they don't get time off for the holidays and my other son's wife likes to spend Christmas with her side of the family so we'll see when we can get together. I'm always happy when things get back to normal after the New Year.

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? By nature I'm not a procrastinator so nope, I'm caught up on everything!

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? I typically don't snack but when I want something low cal I'll have a glass of cranberry juice cut with water or a cup of coffee.

SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BluEyedBabi View Post
just a few of them.

We always have the same things for Thanksgiving, so YES!

Seeing the joy of the season on my kids' faces. My daughter is 17, and my one son is 14, so anytime I can spend time with some happy teenagers is a plus! My youngest is 11, so he doesn't believe in Santa anymore, but he still loves the 'magic' of the season!

Not really, trying to stay on top of all my "MOMMY" chores!

5. What's your favorite LOW-calorie snack?
don't know if it's low-calorie, but soft pretzels or pumpkin bread!! YUM!!

oh soft pretzels sound yummy

SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScrap View Post
1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month? I have not

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? We make the same tasty food every year, so no planning is required

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? Catching up with friends and family and all the tasty treats!

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? No. I try to stay on track!

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? Fresh fruit - right now I have some grapes, cherries, and apples on hand
lots of fresh fruit peeps in here too

Old 11-17-2021, 12:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
yes I have every day so far.

Yes, it will be at our house with my husband's father and his wife. Big meals and receiving people stresses me out but here is the meal I'm planning.

Crackers with cheese ball and paté. I think it's chicken liver from Trader Joe's, don't say yuck until you've tried!
Turkey and gravy
Green beans with butter (not that nasty casserole)
Bread rolls
Cranberry sauce from a can (because they all love it here)
Salad? who even eats salad besides me...
Pecan and pumpkin pies (from the same local market I'm getting the turkey from to make it easier on me)

I don't care too much about Thanksgiving because I wasn't raised here in the US but I used to love spending it with family when we lived close to them. Now it's a bit different. We only have Ben's dad 2 hours away. It's just like another day. But for Xmas I love the food and the presents (even though my girls are such spoiled brats)

I did procrastinate creating a layout yesterday because I knew I had more than a week to make it.

I don't look at calories. Whatever excites my taste buds.
Way to go on answering the 30 days every day!

SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by immaculeah View Post
No, I have not. I have read a few posts though.

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? Yes. Hubby cooks the main dishes and I am in charge of dessert!

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? Gathering with family and friends.

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? Not really.

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? Any type of fruit; mostly berries.
I usually make dessert too!! lol

SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalis View Post

I meant to but totally failed!

I didn't think I needed to plan a menu since it was going to be just the 3 of us, but apparently we are going to have company, so I better do something.

Holiday season is actually not one of my favorites, not sure why my depression kicks in. Not looking forward to it.

ON EVERYTHING! Returning some sneakers to Amazon, cleaning the house, laundry, work search....

This was the hardest of all the questions. I guess it would be granny smith apples w/ peanut/almond butter on top.
Surprise visitors???

Old 11-17-2021, 12:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month? Yes! Having a gratitude practice is a characteristic of whole-hearted living, according to Brene Brown, so I'm always glad to have an outlet for it.

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? I don't cook for Thanksgiving, but our menu is set. We get together with fellow Americans, and my husband is making a turkey, cornbread and homemade cranberry sauce as our contribution. I hit the jackpot with that guy!

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? Nothing. I hate it.

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? Always. Our school is hoping to be back in person next week, and I have done zero things to get ready for it. I have, however, scrapped half a dozen pages this week about things like my thoughts on the Harry Potter series and my son's love of Dr. Pepper, so important things, clearly.

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? Fruit, mostly apples.

You scrapped....so call it a WIN!!!!

Old 11-17-2021, 12:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month? I started doing them at the beginning of the month, but a vacation and household stuff took over!

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? My husband works the night before and the night of. He is the big cook in our family, so we are apparently going to my inlaws. And since I am not the cook, I am not allowed/asked to bring anything. So nope!

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? Being thankful for all we have, spending time with my family

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? Nope, been too busy to procrastinate! Just got back from a short WDW vacation with my friend, so it's been busy with laundry, dishes, cleaning, unpacking, and catching up with my family!

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? ummmm....nothing? I am allergic to fake sugar- sucralose, splenda, stevia. So it's high calorie or I get sick! So...does salad count?

What you can't bring anything?! They won't even let you buy treats to bring?!

Old 11-17-2021, 12:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
I started out good for the first few, but man, we are NEXT LEVEL busy with our kids' activities right now. Literally we have something every single weeknight & busy weekends on top of our normal level of crazy....

We were just talking today about it. I know for a fact that I'm doing the turkey, cranberries (I have a super yummy instantpot recipe!), mashed potatoes (gotta go with the yukon golds) and pies. I'll probably start baking Tuesday night/Wednesday.

Doing all the fun holiday things with each other!

I really need to drain the hot tub & add new water/chemicals... it's a chore and I've totally procrastinated doing it the last few weeks- but it'll happen this weekend at the latest. I also need to descale my keurig...

Almonds!

I love almonds too. I wish I could have you bake me some cupcakes for Thanksgiving.

Old 11-17-2021, 12:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month? No. When I start something like that, it turns into a time suck...I'm not capable of answering quickly. I end up spending way too long on my answers.

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? We're going to my sister's. We have to travel, so I can't really make stuff here to bring. I'll help once we're there, but probably only easy stuff like the salad since she likes to do things her way.

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? Having everyone together. Thanksgiving is my family's big holiday when everyone gets together. Although I've seen some of the families, this will be the first time we've all been together since Nov. 2019. I also like the time off work and school!

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? I spent some of last week procrastinating a paper I had to write, so this week I've had to put off everything else to get it done. Handed it in an hour ago, so starting after work tomorrow I have to get to all the things I've put off.

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? Popcorn! I make air popped popcorn in the microwave, and it's so good! I also like to sip hot drinks.
That sounds like a nice holiday weekend with getting to see everyone again! Enjoy

Old 11-17-2021, 12:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month? I have been trying to make sure I post something every day. Honestly, it has helped improve my mood so much to think about, and appreciate, the good things in my life.

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? Nothing to plan, really. We've had the same menu since we were kids and I have had the same responsibilities, dips and a dessert, for over 20 years now. My sister hosts and cooks now, and wants to do it all, so I let her. LOL

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? I am not a big holiday person, but I do love spending time with my family and adopting a family for Christmas. I also love giving gifts, but I tend to give all year round, so Christmas isn't that different in that area. I actually do my best to make sure I "donate" 10% of my extra income from designing, to a person or cause each month. I know how lucky I am to be able to earn money doing something I love, so I want to share that fortune with others.

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? LOL, designing. My day job has been kicking my butt all year long, so I'm tired in the evenings and just don't feel creative. Last night I didn't start designing until after 9 pm and got very little done.

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? Pickles and pudding, but not together. LOL

Yes it does help to boost your mood!!! And lol, no pickles and pudding do NOT go together

Old 11-18-2021, 08:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
Surprise visitors???
SIL and husband and 2 dogs. So, our house will be the crazy house where dogs will be barking 24/7. yay!

Old 11-18-2021, 04:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month? I started off good but haven't been online much this week so fail behind.

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet? No menu we go to Cracker Barrel...this is our first Thanksgiving at home in 5 or so years...Years past it was Disneyland/California 2016, 2017 home with inlaws visiting, DC/Family 2018, 2019 Universal and beach but we did go to Cracker Barrel, 2020 Florida (Disney and we had spaghetti for Thanksgiving day) 2021 HOME! Thankfully!

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you? Everything! I love, love, love Christmas. It is a little different as the kids get older but I am like a big kid. I love decorating, love getting Christmas cards and covering my cabinets in the kitchen with them all, love going to look at Christmas lights, taking the boys to see Santa (yes, even at 11 and 17. You stop believing then you only get underwear LOL), carols/Christmas songs, watching all the Christmas movies, making cookies, fun Christmas shirts, Christmas parties....going to Virginia to see family and old friends. EVERYTHING!!

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week? Everything...LOL Since I fell at Disney in September I have had tons of doctor appointments and therapy. Getting old stinks. I have been putting off ordering cap and gown for my oldest (how can this be happening?), ummm...planning a menu and so much more! I am the queen of procrastinating.

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack? I am on weight watchers (loosely lately with how busy we are). When we were on our road trip this summer we loved snacking on grapes and apples. My lunch today was low calorie cheese popcorn, blueberries, strawberries and an apple. Love apples around here. Boom Chicka Pop Popcorn is great and low calories. Love the butter, cheddar and even the sweet. My snacks lately have been popcorn and Dr. Pepper Zero
Old 11-19-2021, 01:51 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I joined in late, but I've been trying to play along. It really helps my attitude, which is something I can struggle with a lot this time of year. Even on a day when I'm having a horrible pain flare or a migraine that's got me laid out in bed, if I adjust my attitude, I can find something to be thankful for. Like the medication that made it better, or the fact I had some time alone, or the audiobook that kept me entertained when I had to be in a dark room.

I keep waiting for the year I get to host a Thanksgiving meal, but it hasn't happened yet. I suspect so long as my in-laws are alive we will continue to travel to Arkansas for Thanksgiving with them. They do a different kind of meal than my family does - usually ham, sweet potatoes, dressing, salad, green beans, cornbread, and pumpkin pie. For me, Thanksgiving isn't thanksgiving without a mound of Idaho Gold mashed potatoes, a thick slice of breast meat off my dad's succulent brined turkey, my mom's handmade yeast rolls, and her to-die-for pecan pie. But that's okay; I focus on conversation instead of the food, and my dad brines me a turkey when we visit either before or after Thanksgiving.

Some years, I really struggle with the holidays because of our blended family situation and all the stress, friction, complicated logistics, and hurt feelings that get dredged up. It's hard to feel joyful when you bend over backwards and do and do and do out of love, but you're always the last on the list, the "option" instead of the priority.

One year that was really bad, my husband sent me to spend a week in December with my parents, ostensibly to rest, but also to tag along and help on their Santa gigs. First was an elementary school Breakfast with Santa. Those kids were so happy to see him... Then was a private party in someone's home where all the kids were in their PJs, and in we came, and the looks on their faces - it was pure magic. And the next night, we went to the San Antonio Children's Hospital. After reading stories and playing games with the kids well enough to be in the playroom, and an hour of going room to room visiting with the ones who were not, we finished with a visit to the ICU. Ever seen Santa hold an infant hooked up to oxygen and a heart monitor? That ​little girl's mama was so happy to be able to get a photo of her baby with Santa....

That experience was humbling, and positively magical. I've had the chance to do disaster relief work with my Dad through the Lone Star Santas. I've worked with him and my mom at Morgan's Wonderland, the theme park in San Antonio for individuals with special needs. Each time, I've come away with a deep joy, not to mention a renewed respect and appreciation for my parents. They're pretty amazing people, and I'm proud to be their daughter!

I've got sewing I really needed to work on, but I had an awful flare that landed me in bed Sunday-Wednesday. (Is that procrastinating? The heart was willing, but the body wasn't cooperative.) I'm hoping to catch up on some of it next week before we leave town, but I'm not super optimistic.

I love popcorn! Also slices of cucumber and low-fat string cheese. Mmm, now I'm hungry...

Writing & creating (but mostly writing) for The Sweet Shoppe!
Old 11-19-2021, 02:05 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

No

I don't need to! My husband is going to be serving food to (I assume) young airmen & soldiers at the chow hall, and we're going to join him there for dinner after his shift

Little traditions & activities- putting up our tree, watching Christmas movies together, baking cookies for Santa, etc.

apples w/peanut butter, carrot sticks (but really pretzels ) with hummus, or popcorn.