Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default I don't know what I wanna be when I grow up lol

I totally dislike my job. I have been there for almost a year and do not like the way the office treats people. My problem is I want a new job but I don't know what I want to do. The job market is slim. Everything seems to be healthcare. I have done that for 12 years now and want to get out. I am going to school but now I don't know if I want to do that. I did a job assessment that I found online awhile ago. It has healthcare at the bottom of my rankings. First was food service. I was surprised. I love cooking but I don't think restaurantss are for me. Next was art. I love creating things. I would love to work on my LO techniques and make albums for others. But I need something stable. Anyone ever have problems wondering what they wanna do when they grow up? I am 35 and am clueless lol.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mandy

Well I'll be 33 and still undecided. I'm trying to go IN the health care field.
My problem is that I don't know if I want to go nursing, radiology, lab tech.....???
I have a year to figure it out before I start preeqs but it's still unnerving.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.

My degree has been completely worthless to me. I would have been better off never attending college and immediately entering the job force so I would have some experience under my belt instead of a pretty piece of paper. Thankfully, I only borrowed a couple thousand in school loans or I'd be really mad.

All my skills and talents are 'worthless,' too, in the sense that no one would ever pay me a living wage off them: photography, scrapping, cooking, reading, writing, 'being creative,' etc. The things I totally suck at like math and science are what pay the big bucks.

At this point, I am almost 30 years old and have the resume of a 21 year old full of holes, temp jobs, and oh so glamorous positions like CSR and Clerk. I wish I could write on there what I was actually doing those years: supporting a(n ex) husband in his fledgling startup, taking care of the household bills, maintaining a visitation log as well as serving as unofficial and unpaid paralegal for his personal custody trials, maintaining and organizing all correspondence and visitation with his children, moving cross-country twice, etc. Those don't go over so well on a resume, though.

I've given up figuring it out and given up on trying to find a career path that will satisfy me and make me happy. It doesn't exist.

How's that for a downer post?!
Old 02-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

where was this job assessment? I'm curious.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scrappychic

*raises hand*

i know how you feel. i've been wanting to get a cert for graphic design, but with a FT job and kiddos after work I'm afraid I won't have the time. My job actually let us on job rotations so we can try out other things. I rotated into production planning and so far I like it, but there's nothing artistic or creative about it. I'm kinda torn between what I want to do and where the opportunity is. If I take GD classes and get a cert...find a job in that field...would I have to start as entry level? Would I be taking a pay cut? Since I'm the working parent we can't really take a cut.

So best bet is to go where the opportunity is - the planner position I rotated to may become a permanent position, a pay level up from my current position. I already signed up for web courses, paid for by the company. I don't know if I'll actually love the job, but it's different from what I do now and I've been doing the same job for 4 years. It's just nice to have a fresh start and the manager sees the potential in me which makes me work even harder. Don't know if I'll ever take the GD courses, it's always in the back of mind. I'm willing to go with the flow for now.

*Dianne Rigdon*Jan Guest for Krystal Hartley*
Old 02-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Jennifer, I am 45 today and I still have no clue what I want to be when I grow up....LOL In May I will have been at my current job as a Packer @ Target for 9 years and it's a "no brain" job....The pay is excellent though, so I shouldn't complain....Prior to that I worked in Retail for 12 years @ K*B Toys....Guess maybe one reason I keep my jobs as long as I do because of "comfort"....I have this awful "fear of the unknown"....I have always dreamt of having my own business doing something graphic related....Guess it doesn't hurt to dream....
Old 02-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I got lucky as all get out in life as far as I'm concerned. I ending up being good at AND liking, Math and Science. Decided to give engineering a shot in college, but made sure to go to a big enough school that I could switch to Liberal Arts if I hated it. Loved it, didn't make it into a 5 year program, which ended up being the best rejection of my life. Discovered civil engineering and it's relation to construction (I always loved buildings and architecture, little did I know that architects are an engineers PITA). Loved designing buildings and played around in bridge design extra curriculars, and somehow managed to turn that into a degree and a well paying full time job in an industry that will forever be maintained due to it's relationship to infrastructure.

Aka - I hit the jackpot.

*ducks and runs for cover*

I guess the only advice I have would be to think about what's in your heart of hearts, and try and follow that path.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamaraGugler View Post
where was this job assessment? I'm curious.
http://www.free-career-test.com/tfct.asp
here's a free online one.

Actually just a job would work. Hubby now has started his career and really seems to like it even though he is never home (he's a trucker). Actually I am probably going to have to quit where I am pretty fast. I need certain days off and they are jerks and probably won't work with me.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Science98 Teaching / Social Service90 Sales87 Art82

I just took it. I'm soooooooooooo shocked!! LOL

It's exactly what I expected.