Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Those with a Kindle Fire.....

What do you like about it please? I really want one but it is not a "must" since I do have the original and love it. But after missing Amazon's Cyber Monday special of $129. - I am trying to "convince" myself this should be my Christmas gift but need some opinions from those that do have it. Can you help me out here?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have it and love it. I have a regular old kindle too, and that is now pretty much my daughters. I love to read on my fire. I also browse the web, check email, fb, etc when I am laying in bed. My kids love playing games on it. I have a birthday calendar, a to do list app, and a whole bunch of other apps on it. The only thing that I don't like is there is no camera and no connection anywhere I go (only at home or somewhere with free wifi). Now, I don't have the new kindle fire HD, if that is what you mean, because that one does have the camera and the wifi. OH, and I listen to music, and you can watch movies of course, but I haven't ever tried that.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i'm actually getting rid of mine for a kindle paperwhite lol! we were given ours by my husband's company. he used it until he got his tablet & he loved it. i got it and have noticed i use it for reading only 90% of the time. that's hard to do outside when the screen is lit. if i used it constantly for everything else then i'd keep it but i just don't. i usually do all of that on my phone instead.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:03 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I love that I can read in the dark, the kids play games on it, we can watch a movie on it through Netflix if we have a good connection (it's wifi only, and surprisingly, it's hard to get open wifi spots where we live now), and we can load a few movies onto it for ourselves. It doesn't have a ton of storage space on it. I can keep it in the kitchen for recipes without having to print something out since our printer isn't always reliable, and the touch interface on it is better than the little keyboard on the K3. However, if you do a lot of reading during the daytime in bright light, it's not great for that.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I have the FireHD & really like it. I wasn't sure I would because of the back lighting but it wasn't a problem. I have the kindle keyboard as well that my husband & younger son use and my older son has the $79 one, but I am constantly having to take my Fire back from all of them. We stream movies on it to the tv with the HDMI connector. We have Prime so we get free vids. I get on Facebook & Pinterest with it in the evenings and I read all the time.

I don't like that it goes through battery life so fast & I am not a fan of the touch screen keyboard, but I hate all touch screen keyboards. I also am not thrilled with having to touch only the right hand side to flip pages forward whereas with the others I can use either hand on the buttons on both sides, but I can cope with it.

I just don't like that all that swiping & typing gets fingerprints all over my nice clean screen.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Use mine every single day for over a year now. I read every night, I use it for Netflix, I sometimes use Pinterest when bored lol. I play games, the girls play games... yep LOVE it and a huge fan of their customer service as well, oh and while sleeping it play a sleepytime ap all night long with thunderstorm noises that dh and I can not sleep w/o now lol
Old 11-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I didn't even know there ws a kindle keyboard! That is probably the thing I don't like - trying to type by touching instead of the keyboard.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My hubby has the fire... well, I should say that my son has taken it over as his tablet and I'm stuck with the one the old style kindle. Hubby liked it, liked reading on it... but he was easily distracted (he isn't a big reader to begin with) by being able to play words with friends and checking his email. My son loves to play games and plays words with friends (by himself... J got banned from the ipad because he resigned all the WWF games hubby had going with other people... hubby was not happy!)
Old 11-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a kindle junkie- I have the keyboard versions Gen 2 and 3, and the first gen Fire. I LOVE it and use it every day! The only thing I didn't like was that it didn't allow text-to-speech (I like having my kindle "read to me" while I make long drives without paying extra for audiobooks)

The newest Fire does have that feature (I almost bought a second one with the 4129 deal) but I think my next one will be the Fire HD- we just moved 1,350 miles from home and so using the tablet for skype is appealing.

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I adore mine! I've had it a little over a year now and use it every day. I primarily read on mine, but do also play games, browse the internet, visit Pinterest, and check FB. I don't miss not having a camera because I always have either my phone or camera with me anyway and being only wifi hasn't been a problem either.

I have noticed recently that my battery life isn't what it used to be, but I can still get a day or two of heavy use out of it before charging. Games drain the battery faster than reading does by a long shot so it depends on what I'm doing on it that day. I haven't noticed a problem reading in sunlight that others have mentioned - I just adjust the screen brightness to accommodate the lighting conditions - brighter in the sunlight, dimmer in the dark.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with it!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Personally, I prefer to read on my old Kindle because the fire is too heavy. It's cool to surf the web & stuff, but I think I'd rather have a tablet for all the other stuff and just have my smaller Kindle for reading.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

FWIW - to make the battery last a little longer on your Kfire - turn off the wifi feature when you don't need it - it drains super-fast.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I have the Kindle Fire 1st edition and use it everyday. My husband is getting me the Kindle Fire HD and it should be here tomorrow! The main thing I use my Fire for is watching free movies and TV with Amazon Prime. I can sit in my Lazy boy chair with a couple of pillows on my lap to support the Kindle Fire and watch a few shows. I get great streaming through wi-fi. I don't do much reading on it as I do have a regular Kindle for that. I'm upgrading to the new Kindle Fire because it is supposed to have greater battery life, better screen, and more power.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

I love both of our kindles. We have the original one that is really nice for when you are on long trips because that thing will keep a battery forever! The fire doesn't last nearly as long because it is lit up and is basically like a small tablet. If you are into for all the online stuff like FB etc and apps and what not totally get one. If you want it for just reading books then I wouldn't get it. My husband has this really cool case for his original fire that has a light so when you want to read in the dark you can.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I pretty much use mine everyday since I got it last year! I have to take it from little sticky finger children quite often lol ! I watch Netflix on it, Prime movies/tv, check in on the boards, pinterest, FB, email, read, play games and play music. I have really enjoyed the music feature when I am upstiars doing a craft or cleaning...and like Darcy, I like it for recipes.... and it was awesome to be able to watch a You Tube video right on my bathroom sink while I was doing my Halloween makeup!!!! I was able to pause the video , do my makeup and then go to the next step in the video for my makeup and so on.....