Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > Sweet Reads-Book Club
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg
Default The Girl Who Chased the Moon-Discussion *May Contain Spoilers*

Just loaded this book onto my Kindle as well..I'm reading The Weird Sisters first but will be back mid month to discuss this one once I finish! Feel free to discuss as you read/finish

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 05-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I just finished reading it today.. Absolutely love it! Anyone up for discussion?
Old 05-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I just picked it up from the library today.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

Just brought it home today. Doubt I'll get to reading it tomorrow with all the excitement! But can't wait to start reading it!
Old 05-08-2011, 04:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm picking it up from the library tomorrow

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 05-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I just finished it. This was a switch from my usual genres and I found it really sweet and captivating. It was a bit on the predictable side, but in a comforting sort of way.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just started it!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just finished it and quite enjoyed it even though I found most of it quite predictable. Be back later for the full discussion.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Just finished. This was different from what I normally read and it was a very cute story. I absolutely agree that it was completely predictable, but that didn't make it bad.

My favorite character would have to be Vance. He had such a defeated, yet calm air about him. So glad he had a bit of an "ah-hah" moment and ended with a little oomph at the end.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:12 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I'd love to know more about the wallpaper
Old 05-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Smile

I'm so excited this book was choosen! I loved it! I look forward to hearing the discussion on it! I ::heart:: this author!

Public Relations for www.digitalscrapper.com
(Photoshop & PSE digital scrapbook training)
Old 05-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I liked this book. It was whimsical and magical and set in a realistic setting. I like books that have a bit of that fantasy aspect to them. Like it's almost real, but just a little outside of normal.

The book was predictable, but not in a bad way. The characters were pretty interesting on their own and I think the author did a good job describing them. The descriptions in the book were very thorough and you had a good sense of all the magical, and not-so-magical, aspects of the story.

I intend to read other books by this author, because I did like her style.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastml View Post
I liked this book. It was whimsical and magical and set in a realistic setting. I like books that have a bit of that fantasy aspect to them. Like it's almost real, but just a little outside of normal.

The book was predictable, but not in a bad way. The characters were pretty interesting on their own and I think the author did a good job describing them. The descriptions in the book were very thorough and you had a good sense of all the magical, and not-so-magical, aspects of the story.

I intend to read other books by this author, because I did like her style.
I agree with you - it was a lovely read. I like a little escapism in my books, and this delivered - yes we all knew there was going to be a happy ending, but this was - as I think Misty said - charming.

I've just started another of this authors books because of reading this months book - Garden Spells - and it has the same warm feel to it, with that understated magic theme running through again.

Her book made me smile - which has to be a good thing, don't you agree?

...plus I totally want to try Lousianna style BBQ & Hummingbird cake too
Old 05-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have just now started reading this book..got a tad sidetracked with some other reads (on the plus side I have read 3 Emily Giffin books this month that I didn't plan on reading lol) Seems like a pretty quick read so far though so hopefully I'll be back soon with my 2 cents. I'll see if I can find some discussion questions that might interest some of you!

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 05-22-2011, 12:29 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

*Score* the author has some on her website Here ya go!

1. The legend of the Mullaby lights is front and center in this story. How do legends come to pass? What do they say about a culture or community? Can you imagine something like this happening in your town? Have you ever had a haunting or whimsical experience that led you to a valuable discovery?

2. In Mullaby, barbecue is a celebratory food, meant to be shared. It brings people together. On the other hand, for Julia, cake-baking is a solitary activity, a ceremony she performs alone to feel connected to someone she has lost. Why do you think food is so central to this story? What kind of meaning can cooking, baking, and food take on? What do they mean to you? What kind of food is your city/state known for?

3. Julia finds that baking cakes is the only way she can comfortably express what is truly going on in her heart. What hobby or talent allows you to reveal yourself more clearly to others? Is there something specific about you or something you are good at that you feel draws others to you?

4. From the moment they meet, Win and Emily seem unavoidably drawn to one another. What do you think is the cause of this connection and why does the bond between them grow so quickly? Do you think that this kind or romance would be possible if they were older?

5. Julia takes an immediate liking to Emily, assuming a motherly role. What do you think drews Julia to Emily? Could it be that Julia needed Emily just as much as Emily needed Julia? Have you ever taken a nurturing stance in someone else's life only to find that they were truly the ones rehabilitating you? Furthermore, do you think the relationship between Emily and Julia helped open Julia up to Sawyer? If so, how?

6. Despite the fact that Sawyer mistreated Julia in a painful way, she ultimately forgives him. Do you think that Sawyer deserved Julia’s forgiveness? Do you think that you would forgive someone who had abandoned you in the same way? Do you think that there are limits on what a person can forgive?

7. In the story, we see different characters mourning the loss of loved ones (Emily with her mother, Vance with his wife and daughter, and Julia with her daughter and father). What are the different ways these characters cope with their losses? What do you think their coping mechanisms say about who they are?

8. Julia only moves back to Mullaby under the self-enforced condition that she will leave in two years. Why do you think she returned to Mullaby to save her father’s restaurant when their relationship had been so tenuous? Other than Sawyer, what persuades her to stay in her hometown?

9. Emily has one view of her mother, while the town has a very different view. And Grandpa Vance has yet another understanding. Who is/was the real Dulcie? Do you believe a person can truly change? How might Emily's life have been different if she had known the truth of her mother's past before coming to Mullaby?

10. Many people in Mullaby could be considered misfits. From the most prominent family in town to Julia and Vance, there are a multitude of characters who have the experience of not fitting in. How does this affect their lives? How do some manage to use this to their advantage while others seem to suffer for it? What does this say about the power of belonging? Why do many people, particularly young people, feel the need to belong while others are determined to stand out? Which kind of person are you?

11. Emily's grandfather is a loveable giant. She is completely taken aback when she first sees him. Have you ever met someone who did not meet your expectations at all? How so? Much the same, Julia and Stella's friendship seems like an unlikely pairing. What do you think they gain from their differences? What do you gain from the opposites in your life?

12. At the end of the story, when Vance reveals the truth behind Dulcie’s motivations for the midnight show in the park, Emily is at first incredulous that he has kept this secret for so long. Why do you think he took so long to reveal this? Do you think it was right of him to allow the town to think of her negatively? What would you have done if Dulcie were your daughter?

13. At the beginning of the novel, Emily discovers the grandfather she didn’t know she had, and at the very end, Maddie embarks on a relationship with Julia. What does this story tell us about our blood connections? Do you think that being related to someone binds you to them whether you know them personally or not? What do you think Julia and Maddie’s relationship will look like five or ten years down the road?

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 05-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

and..recipes for Julia's Cakes!
http://www.sarahaddisonallen.com/fly...on%20Cakes.pdf

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 05-30-2011, 01:03 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

1. The legend of the Mullaby lights is front and center in this story. How do legends come to pass? What do they say about a culture or community? Can you imagine something like this happening in your town? Have you ever had a haunting or whimsical experience that led you to a valuable discovery?
I think legends come to pass by word of mouth and as the story gets passed down, it gets enhanced. I can imagine something like this because there is a legend about the old middle school here in town and the lady in red. I have had an experience like this, but it's really too special to talk about.

2. In Mullaby, barbecue is a celebratory food, meant to be shared. It brings people together. On the other hand, for Julia, cake-baking is a solitary activity, a ceremony she performs alone to feel connected to someone she has lost. Why do you think food is so central to this story? What kind of meaning can cooking, baking, and food take on? What do they mean to you? What kind of food is your city/state known for?
I'm not sure why food is central to this story. Cooking can take on a great meaning. There are times since my grandma passed away that I'll make something that she made a lot, and I feel connected to her. My city is really known for it's pickadillies (small fried potato buds). Lots of places offer them here and they are yummy.

3. Julia finds that baking cakes is the only way she can comfortably express what is truly going on in her heart. What hobby or talent allows you to reveal yourself more clearly to others? Is there something specific about you or something you are good at that you feel draws others to you?
For me, my crocheting does that. I'll make afghans for people, and put my little spin on it. As I crochet them, I'll think of that person.

4. From the moment they meet, Win and Emily seem unavoidably drawn to one another. What do you think is the cause of this connection and why does the bond between them grow so quickly? Do you think that this kind or romance would be possible if they were older?
I think they are soul mates. They can't keep from each other and are drawn to each other because they were meant to be together. I certainly think it is possible at any age.

5. Julia takes an immediate liking to Emily, assuming a motherly role. What do you think drews Julia to Emily? Could it be that Julia needed Emily just as much as Emily needed Julia? Have you ever taken a nurturing stance in someone else's life only to find that they were truly the ones rehabilitating you? Furthermore, do you think the relationship between Emily and Julia helped open Julia up to Sawyer? If so, how?
I think it's Julia's missing her own daughter. If she helps Emily, she feels closer to her daughter that she put up for adoption. I absolutely have taken on a nurturing role in someone's life only to find that they were helping me.

6. Despite the fact that Sawyer mistreated Julia in a painful way, she ultimately forgives him. Do you think that Sawyer deserved Julia’s forgiveness? Do you think that you would forgive someone who had abandoned you in the same way? Do you think that there are limits on what a person can forgive?
Yes, I think he does. We all change throughout the annals of time, and we change. We let things go, and we realize what's truly important and what we can let go. If my mother can forgive her own mother for abandoning her for 12 years, then who am I not to forgive?

7. In the story, we see different characters mourning the loss of loved ones (Emily with her mother, Vance with his wife and daughter, and Julia with her daughter and father). What are the different ways these characters cope with their losses? What do you think their coping mechanisms say about who they are?
Well, Emily moves in with her grandpa. She tries to learn about her mom's life in Mullaby. Vance takes in his granddaughter and copes with what she did. Julia nurtures Emily and helps her. I have found that service to others always makes me feel better.

8. Julia only moves back to Mullaby under the self-enforced condition that she will leave in two years. Why do you think she returned to Mullaby to save her father’s restaurant when their relationship had been so tenuous? Other than Sawyer, what persuades her to stay in her hometown?
I think she knew how much her dad put into his restaurant and she wanted to help keep it afloat, even if she was going to sell it. I think it was ultimately her step mom that made her realize how much she truly loved the place and could never let it go. It was also her ties to Sawyer that kept her there.

9. Emily has one view of her mother, while the town has a very different view. And Grandpa Vance has yet another understanding. Who is/was the real Dulcie? Do you believe a person can truly change? How might Emily's life have been different if she had known the truth of her mother's past before coming to Mullaby?
I think Dulcie was the popular girl who did things because she knew she wouldn't get in trouble. I think she was spoiled and got away with a lot because she was popular. I think after what happened, she wanted to change how she was. She wanted to make the most of her life and she didn't want her child to grow up to be the same type of person she was. I absolutely think that a person can change, I've seen it happen in my own life.

10. Many people in Mullaby could be considered misfits. From the most prominent family in town to Julia and Vance, there are a multitude of characters who have the experience of not fitting in. How does this affect their lives? How do some manage to use this to their advantage while others seem to suffer for it? What does this say about the power of belonging? Why do many people, particularly young people, feel the need to belong while others are determined to stand out? Which kind of person are you?
I think it makes them try harder and sometimes they overcompensate. The power of belonging is very strong. We all need to feel welcome and a part of the group.

11. Emily's grandfather is a loveable giant. She is completely taken aback when she first sees him. Have you ever met someone who did not meet your expectations at all? How so? Much the same, Julia and Stella's friendship seems like an unlikely pairing. What do you think they gain from their differences? What do you gain from the opposites in your life?
Absolutely. I met a lady that had a disease when she was little that caused her hair to fall out. She had a positive attitude and wore bandanas and scarves. People thought she was weird because she didn't have cancer, but they didn't know that she was sick when she was little. Once they got to know her, they realized that she was just a regular person. I think Stella and Julia are friends because they support each other. I don't have much in common with my best friend, but we support each other and are there for each other. We pull from each other's strengths.

12. At the end of the story, when Vance reveals the truth behind Dulcie’s motivations for the midnight show in the park, Emily is at first incredulous that he has kept this secret for so long. Why do you think he took so long to reveal this? Do you think it was right of him to allow the town to think of her negatively? What would you have done if Dulcie were your daughter?
I think he was honoring his daughter's wishes, but when he saw that his silence was going to affect his granddaughter, he had to come forward. I think his silence was only due to his honoring his daughter's wishes. As hard as it would be, I would have honored her request.

13. At the beginning of the novel, Emily discovers the grandfather she didn’t know she had, and at the very end, Maddie embarks on a relationship with Julia. What does this story tell us about our blood connections? Do you think that being related to someone binds you to them whether you know them personally or not? What do you think Julia and Maddie’s relationship will look like five or ten years down the road?
Blood is thicker than water. I do think that being related to someone binds you to them. I have never met my grandfather nor any of his sons, but I feel a connection to them. I think Julia and Maddie as well as Sawyer will have a good relationship. I think they will have love for each other and I think that when Maddie realizes why Julie put her up for adoption, she will love her more.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Just finished it (finally got it this week from the library) and I gotta say...I didn't really like it. It just seemed so under-developed to me. There was just something missing, like I was reading shadow of the characters. I guess I just wanted more?

That being said, I don't do well with short books. I love to read a series; really lose myself in the story. That may have been a big part of it.