Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm
Default Whine Alert: I WANT OUT OF MY HOUSE!

Man - I don't know how you folks up north do this. I haven't been out of my house since Sunday morning. IF I do get to get out this afternoon, it'll still be so freakin' cold that I might wimp out. But I'm definitely getting cabin fever!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:39 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

we had it BAD yesterday. emma had her first snow day (we NEVER have snow days...even with a foot of snow...) and she hated it. i went to tell her that they called school again for today, and she literally cried. i get to go to work today....and i honestly couldn't be happier. we don't do having to stay in our house very well.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

isn't it funny how differnent we all can be. I swear that if I ever win the lottery I will become a hermit and never leave the house. I love being home and so do my girls. I pray for storm days so I don't have to go to work.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We're on our 3rd snow day this week and I haven't left the house since Sunday either since DH picked Libby up from school on Monday...I could be a hermit too - I don't mind being stuck inside, especially right now when it's so bitterly cold!!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I learned not to go there. I got home from work Monday evening (had conferences so I worked late) and the snow was starting. Been snowed in since then. Yesterday I was thinking about going out, then decided the roads were too bad and it was too cold.

Fast forward to 4:30. The clinic calls to follow up on Chesney's dr's visit on Monday. It's at that point that I realize Ches has been laying around all day, lethargic. She wasn't whining, so I didn't make any connections. Yeah, 101.6 degree temp. By the time I got her back to the clinic, it was rush hour and her temp had gone up to 102.1 degrees. Still not strep, but since it was day 5, the nurse practioner went ahead and started her on antibiotics. So I had to drive home on nasty streets during rush hour. It was wonderful.

Kids have school today and while my district isn't have school, staff reports for inservice. I'm not even complaining. I need to see someone besides my family.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbysMommy View Post
We're on our 3rd snow day this week and I haven't left the house since Sunday either since DH picked Libby up from school on Monday...I could be a hermit too - I don't mind being stuck inside, especially right now when it's so bitterly cold!!
I could totally be a hermit too, I've been know to not leave the house for like 6 or 7 days and it's glorious!!! My little boys are the same, on the rare occasion we have to go out (other then the quick 5 minute trip to pick a kid up from school) my 3 year old sits in his car seat and asks every 2 minutes...can we go home...

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 02-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I *LOVE* being a homebody, but not when I'm forced
Old 02-03-2011, 09:08 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm another who could be a hermit, too... I use any excuse to stay in doors... like today, wind chill is -20... okay, I'm not going anywhere. LOL! My hubby, who always has to be going/doing something, worries about me and keeps telling me that I need to get out of the house... but I like being in my house. Unfortunately, my son takes after daddy... always wanting to go in the car for something...
Old 02-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

while i loved being home the past two days in my pj's (i was lucky the kids had playdates so i worked from home in peace.) i was really ready to come to work. i too could be a hermit.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
this is me.
the simple fact that i CAN'T leave, makes me want to.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
this is me.
the simple fact that i CAN'T leave, makes me want to.
Exactly! Tell me I can't do something and it makes me start wanting it more! LOL I took a walk yesterday with DS1 to the main road by our house and it wasn't even sanded or anything, just crushed down ice/snow. And there were lots of people driving on it, but still. I know it is better to not go out because of all the OTHER drivers (I'm from MN originally I know snow), but I feel like I need to. Maybe it will be better today!
Old 02-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, when you live up north you learn you don't HAVE to stay inside. I live in the middle of nowhere, really I do, up in the white mountains. We always have a TON of snow and it doesn't slow us down any. Everyone has 4x4 trucks/SUVs and snowmobiles. We also have snowshoes. Even if there's a snow day from school DD and I are out and about doing something. Doesn't mean I LOVE all this snow, but we don't let it get us down

Now, for those who aren't used to snow all winter, I can see why driving would be a scary thing but up here, meh, not so much, unless there's an ice storm, then we do stay in.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We are on our 3rd snow day today. The cabin fever isn't too bad because we've bundled up and have been outside sledding the past two days. Today we are going to try and make pretzels and then maybe sled this afternoon depending on the weather. It is getting REALLY old. I NEED to go shopping for my Super Bowl snacks!!!

If we have ANOTHER snow day tomorrow, I just might go bonkers. DH has my car so I can't go out...boo.

Penny
Old 02-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I could totally be a hermit! We are on Snow Day III and I'm loving it-Landen doesn't seem to mind and Zak has come and gone as he pleases-even walking when I told him his car was staying parked until the storm passed and the roads were cleared (mind you his gf lives only 2 blocks away-BUT he still walked it)...we will probably get out today to do something-but maybe not...either way-I'm fine with being in my PJ's for another entire day!
Old 02-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I agree with Darcy - it's crazy with this weather in TX and being forced to be home drives me crazy. DH is gone and my boys are bouncing off the walls. Luckily one of my neighbors drives a truck and went to the store for us last night to get milk and ice cream (ha - gotta drown my sorrows and feed the kiddos joys). I think this sets some kind of record for our schools to close for 3 days. I may have to do some serious retail therapy in the shoppe today

Old 02-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hate being forced to stay in. But we've gotten over 50 inches of snow since the day after Christmas so now we just go out in it.

And we're expecting snow Saturday and Tuesday. I'm done with this winter. DONE.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We're on snow day #3. Although, for me, it's not much different than any other day. The only difference being the 6yo is home too. Not that I haven't had him home during the last month because of illness; at least he's not whining that his ear hurts. I very rarely leave the house at all Monday - Friday. So I guess I am a hermit and this doesn't phase me a bit. :]
Old 02-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We're on day 3 too and I'm doing just fine! Me and my girls are major home-bodies!!!

I'm sure in most cases up north you DO get out more... but our problem is always ice, not snow! I'm scared to even walk to the mailbox and dd slipped twice on our teeny back porch when they wanted to go outside!
Old 02-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes, it's the ice that is dangerous - we've had a couple ice storms, though not in the past 8 years or so, and they are horrible - an inch of ice everywhere isn't good no matter where you live!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

yah, we generally aren't 'scared' to get out of the house either, but yesterday the drifts were so bad, it just wasn't worth getting stuck. i'm sure most of you saw pictures of what Lake Shore Dr. looked like. was fun in these parts.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
yah, we generally aren't 'scared' to get out of the house either, but yesterday the drifts were so bad, it just wasn't worth getting stuck. i'm sure most of you saw pictures of what Lake Shore Dr. looked like. was fun in these parts.
My friend Donnie lives in an apartment right on Lakeshore and he posted a video...EEK-Scary as all get out!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I feel like that every day all winter! We've had 5 huge snowstorms so far, and we currently have 4 feet of snow! It's crazy!

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I want a snow day lol

It's 80 degrees here in Miami.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriJ View Post
isn't it funny how differnent we all can be. I swear that if I ever win the lottery I will become a hermit and never leave the house. I love being home and so do my girls. I pray for storm days so I don't have to go to work.
Me too. I love being home, I don't care if I ever had to leave! LOL
Old 02-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was just whining to my husband that SA has an invisible force field and it seems we are the only ones in Texas to never get snow. I'll trade you for a day!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, we almost never have snow days here - like I had maybe 5 snow days in all my school years and that was because of the bad ice rain storm in January 1997. The kids play outside everyday, but yet again, we have all the winter gear because of our location - winter is long here. As for the roads, snow/ice tires are mandatory from december to april in Quebec. You learn to live with it, I guess. Yay for furnaces, snowsuits and snowblowers!

But I still could be a hermit. I love staying at home.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm normally a hermit, but we've pretty much only been out for grocery shopping and Dr's appts and I've got some serious cabin fever going on... and I'm normally the hermit type... I really want to get out by myself, like really really badly and have some mama pampering and go buy new nursing bras and a nice new shirt... I know that Asher was a surprise and all, but someone remind me not to have winter babies, ok?
Old 02-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbettua View Post
I want a snow day lol

yep, its 80 here in West Palm Beach. I would love to make a cute little snowman with the kids
Old 02-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Its not the snow, its the ice and the other drivers who don't know how to drive in it! You can be the best driver in the world on snow and have your 4x4 truck with snow tires and still get in an accident with Joe Texan who has a pickup truck so he can go 60mph just fine. That is why I looked at the roads on foot, they are just not prepared here to deal with it.

Funny note: glad WE don't live on-base again! Apparently the base is closed to off-base traffic, but if you live on base you are required to go in to work and bring a shovel. Free labor!
Old 02-03-2011, 12:42 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

oh my gosh! "wind chill is -20"... "we currently have 4 feet of snow"... "over 50 inches of snow"

I've lived on the West Coast my whole life, so I'm not use to snow like that. Seriously we get a .5 inch and schools are cancelled here. We don't know how to deal with snow at all here. A few years back we had about 10" of snow and Oregon declared a state of emergency, and the National Guard had to come in to help. Seriously. I don't know how you all do it, living in a snow climate!!
Old 02-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbettua View Post
I want a snow day lol

I want 80 degrees!! LOL
Old 02-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
^this!
Old 02-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

i'm the exact opposite.
i wish i didn't have to leave today. i think i'm getting sick (again). and i'd prefer to sleep.
though, after today, i have my three day weekend. so i shouldn't complain.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayce View Post
yep, its 80 here in West Palm Beach. I would love to make a cute little snowman with the kids
Hello fellow South Floridian!

Old 02-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

No, this is the only time I miss working for the school district. We're on our 3rd snow day and I would LOVE to be home right now snuggling my babies instead of at work.

We got about 10-12 inches.. wind chills today are -10 to -20.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Hugs to all of y'all housebound in yucky weather who don't want to be.

Hopefully some good family bonding - or some good stuff for pages - comes out of this? Hang in there!

Last edited by NettieB; 02-03-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Another one here who could easily be a hermit. I am totally content being at home, never run out of things to do, and rarely feel the need to get out. But, like so many of the rest of you, I do NOT like being forced to do anything & not having the option is very frustrating!

My Blog: Quantum Leaps
Old 02-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You already have tons of snow right darcy?? We get it this evening and tonight

The Wheelchair Mommy Tweet*Tweet

William-2004, Lucas-2008 & Nathan-Summer 2011
Old 02-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NettieB View Post
Hugs to all of y'all housebound in yucky weather who don't want to be.

Hopefully some good family bonding - or some good stuff for pages - comes out of this? Hang in there!
HA! We don't get to cancel school because of an ice storm (now snow is a whole 'nother story!)

We're making a run for it, though. My car is iced over still, only 1 door will open, but I'm hoping the defrost can help with the windshield (windows and back window are clear) since Russ used both scrapers this week and forgot to put one back in my car.

Probably just going to the store, but we're making a run for it!
Old 02-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
You already have tons of snow right darcy?? We get it this evening and tonight
No - we got ice. Very little snow in our part of DFW. But it's been so cold, the ice can't really melt. We're expecting snow tonight/tomorrow, too.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Darcy, I'm with you - this is INSANE. Day 3 of being stuck inside. DH stayed home the first day and tried to work from home but that doesn't work so well with two small kiddos who don't understand why they can't bother Daddy. So he trekked in yesterday and today. LUCKY! My car won't get out of the driveway - it's sheer ice, steep, and we have a creek behind our house so there's no way I'm going to chance trying to get out. Plus the neighborhood roads are solid ice so getting to the main roads that are clearer is too much of a challenge.

I made a makeshift ball pit which was great for the first 10 minutes but now DD is yelling about DS throwing the balls all over the living room.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh

ice sucks
Quote:
No - we got ice. Very little snow in our part of DFW. But it's been so cold, the ice can't really melt. We're expecting snow tonight/tomorrow, too.

The Wheelchair Mommy Tweet*Tweet

William-2004, Lucas-2008 & Nathan-Summer 2011
Old 02-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ice does suck - that's why I'm glad to be so far north that we seldom have to deal with it - give me 10 feet of snow every winter over 1/2 inch of ice any day!
Old 02-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We've had a LONG winter here in Minnesota and rarely get snow days. I don't mind getting out and about, for the most part, but I'm just SO tired of the cold! I enjoy sledding, snowshoeing and skiing - but it's hard when our kids are so little. The boys (4 and 6) can tolerate being outside for a good period of time, but my daughter is only 16 months and there's no way she's playing outside when it's -10 windchill for weeks on end!
Old 02-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Not stuck at home (yet) but I am tired of being cold. I need my heat and humidity. My hair really needs it.

Tomorrow we will be home. All 4 of us. The schools are already cancelled and since DH has to drive over the tallest overpass in Houston to get to work I don't think he will be going in. I am sure that by 10 am I will be locking myself in my bedroom to escape the testosterone.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Well, in ND, we just go out anyway.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

yeah I have been stuck inside for DAYS! My front door is even iced shut. I tried to open it just a bit ago and it wouldn't budge. It's so not cool! We have cabin fever somethign fierce around here!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yeah it is funny how we're all different...I haven't been out of the house since Monday.....we have to go out today and I really really really don't want to. I'm pretty sure DD would agree. DH was absolutely itching to go somewhere yesterday...just because he couldn't (everything was closed..lol) and we watched so many people get stuck in their cars just on our little street...so glad there was nowhere for him to go.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Arrrggghhhh - going on snow day #4 tomorrow! I'm pretty sure that this never happened when I was a kid growing up here and it is craziness. I got stuck in Austin after a meeting when I was supposed to come home Tuesday night and didn't get back to Ft. Worth until yesterday so my DH had to stay with the kids for a day and a half. It was my turn today, which means I haven't been in to work all week and so now I think it's my turn to go back to work, but he has clients coming in from China, blah blah blah. And who comes in from China on Super Bowl weekend, to the town hosting the Super Bowl? And, when I finally ventured out to take kid #3 for his 9 month check-up, it took 40 minutes to get out of my neighborhood and go literally 1/2 a mile because there are clearly some people out there who think it should be no problem to try to drive up an ice covered hill in a sedan and proceed to block traffic when it doesn't work. Whew.... I clearly need to get out of here! Cheers to all you stay at home moms because I go completely bonkers!

Last edited by sigmakap95; 02-03-2011 at 11:17 PM.