Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default homeschooling curriculum??

Ok..I am really really not wanting a debate here or anything pretty please! lol

I just want to know if anyone has recommendations for Kindergarten history? I am having a hard time finding anything really. I am mixing and matching and not buying like a whole curriculum from one place. Anyways...That's the only subject I have left that I am struggling to get a good program for.

Any help would be appreciated! If you would rahter PM me or something that's cool! Thanks guys!!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Crystal - for history/social studies for K..I, personally, wouldn't worry a lot about it. Concentrate on the holidays as they come. You can read fictional books on historical times together as read alouds and do an occasional project to mark the time. You can tie it into Geography.

We're doing Story of the World as our Elementary History, and even with it, Aiden glazes over most of the time. It's just not where his brain is right now. He likes the stories, and the activities, but more than that is a bit much for him. We just finished up K.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

ok! Thanks for the info Darcy. I found a cute little book that I thought sounded nice, but then one of the reviews said that it wasn't deep enough so I wondered if maybe I should look for something else.... lol I am easily swayed by people! But maybe if I just incorporate that with some stories and stuff it would be perfect? lol
Old 07-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Yes - and even if it's not deep - it's Kindergarten Make it fun, make them want to learn, teach them how to learn.

btw - what book was it?

Last edited by Darcy Baldwin; 07-06-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Have you looked at your local school district?

I know ours provides curriculum for students in our attendance area.
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

yeah..this is my first kiddo, so I am just learning everything. lol! I might be hitting you up for lots of help this year! LOL

It was History for Little Pilgrims.
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

If you go to this link, and scroll down the "The Story of the World" series, they are written for K-6 grades (http://www.susanwisebauer.com/books.php) I just bought the first 2 volumes on Amazon. They are written with factual information (not fiction stories), but delivered in a story format. You might opt for the more recent history volume first...depending on your focus. I can add that my dd's K/1st grade history lessons last year were geared toward the discovery of the new world, and early history and founding of our country (USA) and you could possibly just focus on books of that sort from the library without having to purchase curriculum.

Now, I'm not a homeschooler, but I'm a big believer that education doesn't just happen at school, and we suppliment a LOT at home. I have no idea what "requirements" are as far as each state is concerned or anything like that Hope that link helps, or at least gives you some ideas
Old 07-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamaraGugler View Post
Have you looked at your local school district?

I know ours provides curriculum for students in our attendance area.
I never thought of that! It's worth looking into! Thanks!
Old 07-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I couldn't agree more with "teach them how to learn." Teach them by reading aloud and testing comprehension, teach them thinking and reasoning, etc. The "facts" can always be added, the real skill is critical thinking and reasoning, and on that you'll develop a child who loves to learn.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I didn't start homeschooling until my middle one reached 8th grade...so can't help you there. ...however...here is a suggestion...why not study (lightly...we are talking kindergarten here!) the State in which you live? You could find out interesting facts about the State...cut cookies out in the shape of...maybe use frosting and "dot" the State Capital...and where you live. Day field trips to points of interest...etc.

Good luck!
Old 07-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

As a teacher, one thing that always frustrates me most is that MOST of the homeschool kids I've gotten can do a mean worksheet, but can't think critically to save their lives. I think that's the most important skill you can teach. Teach them to THINK. So anything you do that focuses on critical thinking will be well worth it.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you so much girls! You are all the best!!
Old 07-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamaraGugler View Post
As a teacher, one thing that always frustrates me most is that MOST of the homeschool kids I've gotten can do a mean worksheet, but can't think critically to save their lives. I think that's the most important skill you can teach. Teach them to THINK. So anything you do that focuses on critical thinking will be well worth it.
I have definitely seen books and stuff about that, so I make sure to focus on that a bit! Thanks for the info and perspective! It helps me a lot!
Old 07-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No advice, just wishing you good luck! I would LOVE to homeschool my son when he starts kindergarten in 2010. I really think I missed my calling and should have become a teacher.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

aww! Thanks so much Kara!
Old 07-06-2009, 02:59 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I love these little projects and will be doing some of them for my pre-k son. They are unit studies and focus on all of the subjects. I believe it is from "Five in a Row" which incorporates a number of activities in different subjects based on reading one book per week.

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/Level2.php

We still aren't sure about the curriculum for my 7 & 9 year old. I'm waiting to hear what the school district is offering. But I'm really excited about "The Story of the World" so I will probably go that route and they will both study the same time period.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Janny - BFIAR (before five in a row ) and FIAR are fantastic early elementary homeschool curriculums. We did it with Connor in PreK & K when I was working with just one child and we loved it. It's an awesome curriculum, VERY inexpensive ($20=25 for the core book - and a library card + some time to prep every week).

They have FIAR for every level up through middle school so it's something you could think of for this first year with your kiddoes if you don't like what the ISD is offering.