Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default So let's talk weddings

Jeff & I had been talking about marriage for a while before he proposed, but now that it's all official it's time to start making plans!

We know that we want this soon (before Jan 1 for sure). We are actually leaning toward eloping for a few reasons (money, we've both been married before, we dont want our kids to miss a big ceremony as they don't live here, etc). We are thinking we might just elope and then have a reception later with the kids and our families/friends, etc.

My question is, have any of you guys ever done anything like that? Do you think we'd regret it? I *really* don't want a big wedding, so I don't feel like I'd be missing out. Honestly, I'm not even sure where to start to "plan" an elopement. LOL

Anyway, lay it on me. What are your thoughts? (FYI, our families would all be fine with this idea, so that isn't a concern)
Old 10-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

DH and I eloped in Vegas on NYE and have never regretted it!

I did NOT want a wedding..that said my little sister had a big wedding..and says she wished she would have eloped and spent the $$ on a nice reception and honeymoon instead

Weddings I think are such an extravagance and I'm way too frugal to throw that kind of $$ into 1 day

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 10-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Well I got married really young and did not have a wedding. Our "ceremony" was performed by a notary public. I think it is more sensible to take the money that would be spent on a wedding and either invest that money or use it as down payment on a house. I never as a girl or even as a woman wanted to have a big (or small) wedding. I did want to get married and have a family though. My husband and I have been together for 20 years so I defenitely do not regret any of it
Old 10-16-2010, 02:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
DH and I eloped in Vegas on NYE and have never regretted it!

I did NOT want a wedding..that said my little sister had a big wedding..and says she wished she would have eloped and spent the $$ on a nice reception and honeymoon instead

Weddings I think are such an extravagance and I'm way too frugal to throw that kind of $$ into 1 day
I was going to say that if you did you should do it NYE.

We had a wedding, not big though, like 80 guests. And it was perfect for me. Sean and I paid for most of it, so we couldn't afford a ton.

My friends did a Sandals Resort Wedding, if you stay on the island for so many days they throw the wedding in free. It was just the two of them.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Libby, that is my dream wedding! Never been married, but I always admired a friend of Mum's who just married her guy in jeans and without any fuss or big wedding. I've always been shy, hate to be the centre of attention, and big weddings scare me even as a guest, and in addition to that they also involve heavy spending, potential trouble (who's been invited and who's not been invited), and usually I find the newlyweds are too stressed and tired to really enjoy any of it. So, eloping sounds like an ideal wedding to me. ;-)

OK, that's me and not you, but I think there's not much to regret. Enjoy, and congrats! Be happy!

Last edited by adrianka; 10-16-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I say do it in Vegas!!!! and HAVE FUN!!!! and I love the idea of getting married on NYE!!!! I just came from Vegas and it was soooo much fun...spend the money on FUN instead of wedding stuff I had a fairly small wedding {because I was pregnant and Matt and I were both in the Navy}...and we did it at a small church and the reception at Matt's parent's house...it was perfect and we were never in debt for it
Old 10-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

Hubby and I are going to do a wedding renewal ceremony soon! On the Beach in Hawaii...Then your honeymoon is right there too! And this time of year is just perfect there.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My sister and her husband went to Jamaica to get married - just the two of them. They loved it and have no regrets. I think they both kind of wish that family could have been there, but overall, they were so happy with everything and they had a wonderful time.

I can't get over how excited I am for you Libby!!
Old 10-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ELOPE! Do it! If you aren't going to miss it, and if your family and friends won't be upset, DO IT!

You need the wedding that is right for YOU. Don't worry about what else they want. Do what you want. Get married. If you want to get married tomorrow, go for it. This is about you and Jeff.

If it's in the budget, you can always go somewhere nice to elope with someone.... perhaps plan a honeymoon/elope sort of thing??? Idk, like I said, it's all about you and Jeff! Congratulations!!!

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 10-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

PS. Hmmmm... as a wedding gift, I think I should treat myself to lots more of your kits, so you get paid Haha

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 10-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sorry to reply 3 in a row... but here's a link I found when googling "Planning an Elopement"

http://www.ceremonyway.com/elopementplans.html

(Now let's just pray my mother doesn't borrow my computer and see my google search).

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 10-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

if i had to do it again, i'd elope!
go someplace nice and just do it!
Old 10-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Well not that I'm engaged yet BUT when we do finally get married we have talked about taking a Disney cruise; they have special packages for weddings. This would be because we like the idea of eloping but want to include my daughter in the whole process. We want her to be a part of our special day. I definitely am not into big weddings and since we would be paying for it all I'd rather have a huge party later with my family and friends and do the actual ceremony just the 3 of us.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Elope already! I love Vegas or the beach idea sounds great too!

Old 10-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

This is what hubby and I did in Vegas four years ago! Only a few people tagged along but if no one came we wouldn't have cared since no one was in the actual ceremony anyway. We had a lakeside ceremony. It was the best decision ever b/c we had a nice ceremony and good pics for hardly any money. This is who we used:

http://www.lakesideweddings.com/

I also hired a lady to come to the room to do my hair and makeup and she was awesome. If you need me to give you her link to let me know.....can't remember it off the top of my head.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

If I could go back in time and do it all over again, I totally would have eloped! Congrats again Libby to you and Jeff!
Old 10-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If you don't want to do Vegas, and want to stay closer to home, Hermann, MO is wine country and gorgeous. Weddings in Hermann
Old 10-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, I LOVED my big wedding! It wasn't anything extravagant or super expensive, but we had over 300 guests! I couldn't imagine not having a big wedding. Although, I am spoiled & my parents paid every penny for our day! (expect my bouquet & our rings...DH & I paid for those.) But, I say go for it! My uncle told his daughter that she had her choice, her big wedding or elope & get a brand new car!!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Dh & I had a court house wedding with both our parents present. Then a week later we had a big party at my parents house to celebrate. We've always said we would have a big wedding for our 10th anniversary to celebrate the milestone.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I had a fabulous wedding a year ago, and I can't imagine having it any other way. It was perfect. For US!

It sounds like you already know what you want to do. What is there to regret? You're marrying the man you love, and then having a big party!!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

If I were in your shoes, Libby, I would totally go to Cancun or somewhere in the Caribbean! TOTALLY!!!

Hubby & I went there for a trip and met a couple getting married there and it was so gorgeous, beyond gorgeous! What is seen in magazines does not even do it justice!

It's cheaper than Hawaii and, IMHO, even more beautiful! So many things to see and do and it's not too expensive either.

OR you could just honeymoon there if you don't want to marry out of the country.

Congratulations!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Swann View Post
If I were in your shoes, Libby, I would totally go to Cancun or somewhere in the Caribbean! TOTALLY!!!
I agree! You can get married onboard a cruise ship to the Caribbean and honeymoon at the same time if you don't wanna do Vegas.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We were together 10 years and had three kids before getting married. We got married with our kids and our parents at my fil's cabin right next to the lake. The mayor of the village married us. We then had fondue and cake and then my fil and my mother's boyfriend played guitar, we danced, it was really fun!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had a sil that got married in Hawaii on the beach ... just their best friends and the person marrying them. pics looked really cool.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We had a small wedding and spent like $5k on it and I wish that we had gone to Vegas or something and eloped. We would have had family upset with us if we eloped though. I do want to renew our vows on our 10th anniversary and spend some money to get really nice pictures done. I hate our wedding pictures.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

Scott was married before so my plans weren't as exciting for him. Things weren't falling in line like they should- preacher already had a wedding that day, flowers I wanted would cost a fortune that time of year, fighting with moma over the cost while getting daddy in trouble with moma over the cost. yeah. We eloped too. Ran off and got married on the sand at Myrtle Beach. The only thing I'd change is having so many people down there and wearing that expensive dress in the sand. Would have toned it down a bit.

If I could do it again, I'd do the huge church wedding. But I'm married just the same. If I was you I'd run off and elope too.

facebook
Old 10-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

If I had to do it all over again, I would elope and avoid all the bull of planning a wedding and trying to make everyone happy.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We had the huge church wedding and I absolutely loved it, Rob wanted to just go elope somewhere and still to this day says we should have eloped instead lol!

I recently did engagement photos for some friends of the family that have been planning a big wedding for next April and they just announced on FB that the stress of trying to plan the wedding was too much so they decided to get married on the beach in Jamaica where they were planning to honeymoon instead! They are losing some of their deposits but said it will totally be worth it to stand on that beach together just the two of them and say their vows! So if it was me now I think I'd go for the beach wedding!!
Old 10-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

We had a small wedding with 16 guests at a Scottish Inn about 2 1/2 hours away from home. I didn't want a big fancy wedding. We did have a reception that week for friends and family.

Some people view this as tacky, but my ideas for the wedding changed a lot and it was planned to be a destination wedding. Anyway the location I chose didn't have a large room if it had rained, so I really limited my numbers. Twenty would have been squished.

We had just moved into our new house and were more interested in spending money on the house than a wedding.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hubby and I got married by the Justice of the Peace and I have never regretted it. We will be celebrating our 18th wedding anniversary in a couple of weeks. His mom was a little bit upset -- but she got over it. Bottom line... it is about the two of you... and not your family. I honestly do not see the point in spending thousands of dollars on a wedding. My parents were happy NOT to have to pay for the wedding and they bought us a brand new washer and dryer and a new refrigerator instead.

We do plan on renewing our vows either on our 20th or 25th anniversary -- and at that time we will invite immediate family, but it still won't be extravagant. I can think of such better ways to spend money.

So happy for you!!

Eva Kipler
BLOGSWEET SHOPPE STORE TWITTER FACEBOOK FAN PAGE NEWSLETTER SIGNUP

♥ SNAG IF YOU ARE A FAN! ♥ ------------->
Old 10-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmom View Post
Hubby and I are going to do a wedding renewal ceremony soon! On the Beach in Hawaii...Then your honeymoon is right there too! And this time of year is just perfect there.
THIS!!! DH and I did this for our wedding 10 years ago. We were married on the beach on Oahu - there were a total of 8 people at our wedding and we had a nice dinner reception on the lanai' that evening. Honeymooned for 2 weeks. Totally recommend it.

Kristen
Old 10-17-2010, 12:07 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Awwww thanks guys!!! I really appreciate all the advice and input. We're seriously leaning toward just getting married at the court house. As much as I'd love to go to Hawaii or Jamaica or somewhere fancy, we just don't have the money right now. Any money we spend right now is going to be money coming out of Christmas gifts for the kids. Neither of us want that. So, we're thinking just a quick simple private ceremony at the court house and then a party to celebrate either in the winter or next summer when our kids are here with us.

Now I just have to figure out how to make a courthouse wedding special. LOL
Old 10-17-2010, 02:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Hubby & I went there for a trip and met a couple getting married there and it was so gorgeous, beyond gorgeous! What is seen in magazines does not even do it justice!

It's cheaper than Hawaii and, IMHO, even more beautiful! So many things to see and do and it's not too expensive either.

OR you could just honeymoon there if you don't want to marry out of the country.

Congratulations!
I would totally do this too!!!! On a beach someplace!!!! I am for Eloping all the way...... I think its more about you and him and how you want to celebrate your union ~ Do what you really want!

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland

Old 10-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKim View Post
If you don't want to do Vegas, and want to stay closer to home, Hermann, MO is wine country and gorgeous. Weddings in Hermann
Hermann is beautiful this time of year AND they have and awesome Chocolate Shoppe!
Old 10-17-2010, 12:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLilGrahamCracker View Post

You need the wedding that is right for YOU. Don't worry about what else they want. Do what you want. Get married. If you want to get married tomorrow, go for it. This is about you and Jeff.

Yes, this!!! Do what makes you happy, it's YOUR day. I know lots of people that had destination weddings with just a few people or eloped and then had a party when they got back to celebrate.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

If you've already been married once and it isn't really a big to do for this one, I say ELOPE! That being said, I just got married on Sept 18th and while we had a wedding with about 85 guests, I don't remember half of the day. I spent a lot of money as well and I kind of wish that Jesse and I had just eloped in Vegas and had a reception with our close friends later. But, I loved my wedding. So that's where I'm torn. My only issue was they put a football game on during my reception at the bar, so EVERYONE was watching the game instead of dancing and having a good time. Kind of made me mad but I didn't go turn it off because we would have lost all of our guests if I did that.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My brother and sister-in-law got married at the courthouse here just over a year ago, it was just the two of them, her son and their infant daughter, her parents and his Mom. They dressed up and everything and then had a reception at my parents house with friends and family that evening and it was a nice little celebration.

So I think there's lots of ways to make a courthouse wedding special Libby! Afterwards you could do a nice dinner out somewhere to celebrate and then maybe stay the night at one of the nice hotels downtown (we stayed at the Hotel at Old Town on our wedding night and it was really nice and we had a jacuzzi right in our room!) and then you can always have a celebration with your kids and families later on!
Old 10-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No way would I go through a big wedding again. Mine was almost ruined by my sisters-in-law, so I constantly said afterwards I wish we had eloped. Bottom line, you want to start a new life together and the shortest route is the courthouse. I'd do that in a heartbeat for a second wedding and then maybe stay the night in a nice hotel.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

go with elope but somewhere quiet and intimate instead of a courthouse thats what i would do.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Well, actually I've been looking around, and I think we might do the Botanical Garden here instead of the courthouse. It's extremely cheap (just the $5 admission fee per person), and it would make a beautiful setting for a small wedding. Then like you guys said, we could always do a nice dinner or spend the night in a hotel or something. I want it to be special but not extravagant at all.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Weifenbach View Post
Well, actually I've been looking around, and I think we might do the Botanical Garden here instead of the courthouse. It's extremely cheap (just the $5 admission fee per person), and it would make a beautiful setting for a small wedding. Then like you guys said, we could always do a nice dinner or spend the night in a hotel or something. I want it to be special but not extravagant at all.
My brother and my SIL got married in a botanical garden with just immediate family attending (there were 25 guests all together). It was honest-to-goodness THE NICEST WEDDING I've ever attended. The garden was gorgeous! She wore a beautiful dress (typical wedding dress - as they'd been planning a larger wedding when she bought it), and he wore a new suit. Everything was like a big wedding would have (dress, suits, best man, MOH, bouquets & bouteniers, etc). Afterwards, we just had a small appetizer kind of meal, and enjoyed a chocolate fountain w/ lots of fresh fruit. They had a dance for themselves and one for SIL & her dad, and my mom & brother, and a dance for my SIL & my grandpa (that was really special - we all shed a tear or 2) in the gazebo of the garden. It seriously was SO beautiful.

If I was to do my wedding over, I would do it in a botanical garden too!

Huge fan of:

Old 10-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

ohhh yes botanical garden! just think of the scrapbook shots you can get for your wedding layouts :P
Old 10-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My brother and his first wife got married at Botanica out on the terrace and it was beautiful, and then they also rented the terrace room for a small indoor reception. But $5/person would be very reasonable and it would be perfect for a small, intimate wedding!
Old 10-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Congratulations!
Yes! This!!!!! DH and I had a big wedding. It was nice and what I always dreamed up as a little girl. DH seriously MADE me go through with it because he didn't want me to have any regrets. (he was married once before) I was begging him to run off to a beach somewhere and he wasn't budging one bit. Of course, my family would of had an issue with eloping. The first day of our honeymoon in Cancun, we were sitting on our balcony at sunset admiring the view and there was this beautiful couple getting married on the beach! Just them and the minister/justice of the peace type person. GORGEOUS! I was just standing there watching them and the beauty that surrounded them and was SO jealous!!!!

I love the idea of running off somewhere and having a honeymoon with it. Anywhere in Mexico is really inexpensive and it is beautiful. If you want to do a little bit of a "big wedding" feel, I would purchase a dress and have some professional pictures done.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I had a big wedding and even though it was beautiful, I always wished I had eloped.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

DH & I would have eloped but my parents were all "What about your grandmothers? They have been waiting 27 years to see you married adn they are not young!"

So we had a small JP ceremony at a local resort with the family & a few friends. Honestly, given the number of people invited we could have just flown them all to Vegas for a weekend & skipped the reception.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been married twice, and while my first one wasn't over the top or anything I never thought it was money best spent.

My DH and I couldn't afford and didn't really want anything big this time around. We arranged and afternoon ceremony with our Pastor with just our parents and kids there. Some of my friends were miffed that they didn't even see it coming but they got over it and we were happy! We went on a cruise a few months later to celebrate.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

yes this!! If I was to ever say renew my vows I would have it done at Leu Gardens in Orlando!! They have the most amazing rose garden there. One of the largest in the country. It is absollutely amazing (and relatively inexpensive too)!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
ohhh yes botanical garden! just think of the scrapbook shots you can get for your wedding layouts :P
Old 10-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We tried a destination wedding...not really elope but everyone knew our plans....it didn't work out! Our original plan was to go to Fiji...just DH and I but I felt bad that my parents and my DS would miss the wedding...my dad REALLY wanted to give me away. So....we downsized and planned on going to Vegas...too many people wanted to come and it was out of control. We decided to just have a big wedding back home (neither one of us had been married though) and although it wasn't orginally what we had planned it was perfect and we had no regrets. We had over 350 guests...so it was a pretty big wedding!!!!

I had two friends get married down in Florida...was pregnant both times and doctor wouldn't let me travel. One got married in Key West and LOVED it...the other was another island off the east coast but I can't remember where....she said it was perfect too!!

Last edited by kim21673; 10-17-2010 at 09:30 PM.