Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-09-2010, 01:20 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default Stupid insurance

Our health insurance premiums just went up so drastically that I don't know where the budget will come from and it's taken away any hope of buying myself anything for Christmas.

I really do not like Christmas and wish it were January 3 already.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:25 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Ugh... I hate insurance.

We found out last week that starting this week our's is going up from $105/week to $126/week. When John started at the shop he works at 3 years ago it was $80/week. We now pay in more a month for insurance than we do our mortgage.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 12-09-2010, 01:51 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

when my husband was working the insurance at his job for our family was over 200 a week. And the really bad thing is the company preached to the workers telling them to avoid using their insurance as much as they could!!

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 12-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I'm on hubby's insurance, but they have changed it and now say they will no longer cover me because I have insurance available to me at my employer.

However, for 2011, they will cover me for an extra $100 a month surcharge (plus the whole premium is going up). I HAVE to accept it and pay that until my work's open enrollment period!

I can't believe how much we have to pay now!

It's TOTALLY crazy and stupid and so wrong.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I. Hate. Health. Insurance. Especially here in the US. And I have a good plan! That's cheap! It's absolutely ridiculous.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Hmm, makes me think maybe I should not whine about the coverage I have from work when I see how much you all have to pay. Wow. I really wish we could get health care in this country fixed.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ours went up ton as well, and for less coverage.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ours was over $800/month for family coverage through my husband's job. When I lost my job I had to drop it. My new job paid half of what my old one did and to be able to stay in our house we had to make cuts somewhere. It's been over a year and we haven't missed it! I've paid as we went for the things that came up healthwise and it ended up being cheaper. I just can't justify paying that much!

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 12-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Our insurance actually is going down a little bit and we were shocked. DH kept going over and over to make sure he didn't miss anything...along with others at his work.

What he did miss however was our portion for hospital stay last year. Ugh!!! When we had the other boys we only paid $250 for me and another $250 for baby (which is really good considering we had TWO NICU babies with bills well over 40K)...well, like I said, DH missed that part of the change last year and we got the bill....$2250!!!!! That's the max we have to pay but still......WOW that is a major increase!!!!! I just about crapped my pants.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hate health insurance, but I have to admit that our plans here are so much better and cheaper than in the US. We pay yearly because it's slightly cheaper, and it's only 2400 euros for the both of us. The bad thing is that we don't even use it. Neither of us every go to the doctor, but unfortunately it is now mandatory to have health insurance.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ours are going up for next year too. Even though dh's is paid 100% by his company, it is almost $900 to insure the rest of us. We're looking into some alternatives since we're done having children and don't require the maternity coverage anymore. We're considering a cheaper policy with higher deductibles and putting a medical savings account into place to offset any medical expenses we might incur. As the money man that's dh's department though so I'm not sure of the specifics.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My husband owns his own company and does not have health insurance through that company. We have individual policy health insurance, which is very expensive.

Almost a year ago, we changed so that our premiums went down. But now we have a huge deductible.

We just had to change our thinking on it and really view it as "insurance" -- money that is there should we really need it. We pay for most doctor appointments, meds, etc. with cash. Most is applied to our deductible, but our deductible is high enough that we probably won't ever reach it w/in one calendar year.

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 12-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I hate insurance too and would gladly get rid of it if it weren't for the what ifs. For instance, what if I didn't have it last year when my daughter was injured and had to be life flighted out of here? She had to have a five hour surgery to repair her broken elbow AND physical therapy afterwards. The life flight alone was $15,000 and her surgery was $30,000 not to mention the months of physical therapy at $100 a pop (and she was going three times week). Thankfully, my insurance paid ALL but $580.

I would gladly get rid of it, but then I think about the above situation and how we would totally be broke right now if we didn't have it. It's a stupid catch 22 isn't it?
Old 12-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Insurance

Old 12-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't even think about our's in terms of What Ifs anymore. I used to... then last year they dropped Belly off of it for no reason and never told us. We didn't find out until a month later and we have had to pay for all her testing she had completely out of pocket.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know that insurance is expensive, but after I had emergency surgery last year, I gladly pay it. The cost of everything was over $50,000 (including home health visits because I had an open wound for 6 weeks). The quality of the services I received was excellent. There is NO WAY I want to take the risk of paying for that type of emergency stuff myself.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

we can't even afford it right now but working hard on our budget and paying off multiple bills cuz not having it is wayyyyy stressful.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I don't know if in the long run we pay less, more or equal to, what you all pay, in taxes. I am just glad I don't have to deal with it, and all the BS that you seem to have to handle. If I'm sick, I can go to the doctor, get surgery, whatever. I just like not having to worry about it, ya know?
Old 12-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to litabells

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim21673 View Post
Our insurance actually is going down a little bit and we were shocked. DH kept going over and over to make sure he didn't miss anything...along with others at his work.

What he did miss however was our portion for hospital stay last year. Ugh!!! When we had the other boys we only paid $250 for me and another $250 for baby (which is really good considering we had TWO NICU babies with bills well over 40K)...well, like I said, DH missed that part of the change last year and we got the bill....$2250!!!!! That's the max we have to pay but still......WOW that is a major increase!!!!! I just about crapped my pants.
Am I reading this right - you have to PAY to stay in the hospital to have your baby?
Old 12-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by litabells View Post
Am I reading this right - you have to PAY to stay in the hospital to have your baby?
Oh, yes! We pay for anything in the hospital or clinic. My son broke his leg this summer, my cost AFTER all insurance is close to $1000, though I am currently fighting with them on this.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The saddest thing is that for most of us living in the US, we are only one medical emergency away from bankruptcy/completely ruining our lives if we DON'T carry health insurance. It IS the what-ifs that we all have to carry insurance for. Premiums are costly, but I'll gladly pay - we've had our medical emergency! My son got meningitis a few years back and his 2-week stay in the hospital was around $200,000. I have no idea what we would've done if we didn't have insurance!
Old 12-10-2010, 04:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I still don't get the system of health insurance in the US, but from what I read, it seems to me that the medical costs are kind of overblown, too. Luxembourg is outrageously costly when it comes to medical bills (it really is), and since I'm privately insured (I partially bear the costs, normally 20% of them, but it rarely happened that they didn't cover those 80%), I know the costs. I never knew them in Slovakia, where I was insured in a stateun company.

Also, it happened that my Mum was hospitalised in a kind of fancy hospital (because that's where they had free beds) when she was visiting me - she had commercial travel insurance, so it was 100% covered from that, but still I knew all the costs involved as I kept receiving the invoices and sending them to the insurance company in Slovakia, and believe me they were high, but still nowhere near as high as what I'm reading here.

I really should start a new thread asking you about the system and all, because I'm really interested in this topic. I don't say everything about healthcare in Europe is great, and it varies from country to country, but at least everybody is covered. It just pains me to think that one might find oneself uncovered or close to ruin because of health insurance...

Last edited by adrianka; 12-10-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Yes...but I do have to add that I am very happy with our insurance. There is very little we do have to pay for our premium and they cover almost everything 100%.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacsmom View Post
The saddest thing is that for most of us living in the US, we are only one medical emergency away from bankruptcy/completely ruining our lives if we DON'T carry health insurance. It IS the what-ifs that we all have to carry insurance for. Premiums are costly, but I'll gladly pay - we've had our medical emergency! My son got meningitis a few years back and his 2-week stay in the hospital was around $200,000. I have no idea what we would've done if we didn't have insurance!
I completely agree! Two of our boys were in the NICU and all we paid was $250. We would have been homeless if we had to pay those bills....thank goodness for our insurance!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacsmom View Post
I remember when I was pregnant with my first born, I was visiting some trimester forums and there was an enormous thread of US-based women talking about how to cope in labour without an epidural -- not for health reasons, but because they couldn't afford them. It was shocking and eye-opening to me. I remember one woman in particular saying she went bankrupt from her first c-section and desparately needed to avoid another. I can't imagine having medical costs foremost in the mind during pregnancy and labour! (So very thankful for universal health care coverage!)
Old 12-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Yes, but for me personally I have felt like the level of care and ability to choose the doctor & hospital I trust were worth the cost. I had my first baby in a military hospital, had never seen the doctor before they were checking me, I'm still not sure who actually performed the c-section. The cost there was very minimal but the experience was less than stellar. Of course you could pay and still get a bad experience.

We've also had the unexpected emergency. My daughter had to be hospitalized for MRSA 2 years ago. We had to pay $700 out of pocket but I can't imagine what the surgery and after care would have cost out right.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crecia27 View Post
Yes, but for me personally I have felt like the level of care and ability to choose the doctor & hospital I trust were worth the cost. I had my first baby in a military hospital, had never seen the doctor before they were checking me, I'm still not sure who actually performed the c-section. The cost there was very minimal but the experience was less than stellar. Of course you could pay and still get a bad experience.

We've also had the unexpected emergency. My daughter had to be hospitalized for MRSA 2 years ago. We had to pay $700 out of pocket but I can't imagine what the surgery and after care would have cost out right.
I couldn't agree more!!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I can't fathom not having insurance and I appreciate the choices that I have. As a teacher, I pay a fairly high premium compared to some other districts. As few years ago we went to an HSA. It was great for 2 years with a $2,000 deductible, but as I expected it went to $4,000 and I will seldom meet it, so I pay more each year.

The problem is, if you don't have that amount available then you charge it. With the other system, I might have paid more in the long run, but with $10, $20 or $50 here and there it was more affordable.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

It upsets me so much to know that there are people out there who have to weigh taking their children to the dr vs having food to eat.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
It upsets me so much to know that there are people out there who have to weigh taking their children to the dr vs having food to eat.
Yes. This. I'm in Canada, yes, our taxes are higher, but thank good for universal health care. IMO, health care should be right, not a privilege.

We also have insurance for extras (physical therapy, eyecare, dentist, etc) with DH's job, but it is free (thank you Costco).
Old 12-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife View Post
I don't know if in the long run we pay less, more or equal to, what you all pay, in taxes. I am just glad I don't have to deal with it, and all the BS that you seem to have to handle. If I'm sick, I can go to the doctor, get surgery, whatever. I just like not having to worry about it, ya know?

I agree with you completely. I'm glad we don't have to worry about it here! Just comes out in taxes which aren't broken out specifically, so there isn't much to argue with.We do have a huge tax rate compared to the US, but still I think it is compensated by our public health care system.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanienamou View Post
IMO, health care should be right, not a privilege.
Exactly.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crecia27 View Post
Yes, but for me personally I have felt like the level of care and ability to choose the doctor & hospital I trust were worth the cost.
We have universal (free) health care in Slovakia, but all my friends who have children could choose the doctor who did the delivery (well, usually it was their own ob-gyn who they knew). It might have been more restricted during the Communist regime, but as far as I know, right now this is not a problem.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
We've had to do that several times. John doesn't make much and we maxed out all our credit cards with Bella's tests last year. Generally we end up having to borrow our co-pay ($35) from my parents if it's an unplanned doctor's visit. And John and I almost never go unless it's just impossible to manage a sickness without a doctor visit... even then we put it off. I held off going for several months even though I was in constant huge pain everyday before my grandmother finally told me to just go and she would pay.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTrish View Post
We've had to do that several times. John doesn't make much and we maxed out all our credit cards with Bella's tests last year. Generally we end up having to borrow our co-pay ($35) from my parents if it's an unplanned doctor's visit. And John and I almost never go unless it's just impossible to manage a sickness without a doctor visit... even then we put it off. I held off going for several months even though I was in constant huge pain everyday before my grandmother finally told me to just go and she would pay.
It really and honestly upsets me to hear this. Life is hard enough without having to worry about whether you can to do the doctor. That sucks big time. :-(

I don't pretend everything rosy in a universal health care system, but at least you can be sure you will be treated.