Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb
Default Pregnant Lady Check In!

I feel like it's been a while since we did this.
I'm 25 weeks now, and this week I've felt like a snail in a too small shell (to borrow the phrase from a girlfriend). I feel like my belly hasn't really grown much recently and I need another pop or a growth spurt or something. Luckily no stretch marks yet! Yay! We'll see if that holds up though, lol.

I'm feeling Swerbaby very consistently now. It's still kind of unsettling, and I wouldn't go so far as to say that I love it, but I'm getting used to it. Last friday we were at Jordan's grandparents before the PSU game and I was up later than normal. Swerbaby was having a rave in there or something because he was kicking and HARD. So Jordan got to feel it for a while, which was nice. Most of the time as soon as I speak to tell him that he's moving, he stops, lol.

I'm getting together with some local ladies who are also due in March on saturday, so that should be fun. We're all on the same board on The Bump so we "know" each other, and it'll be nice to meet up and chat for a bit with others who are going through the same stuff that I am. I have another photoshoot on sunday that I'm really looking forward to, and my first shoot was so happy with the images I got for them that they are going to order their Christmas cards through me! Super excited about that.
Our nursery furniture should get delivered SOON, which I'm totally excited about. I ordered it 2 weeks ago thinking it would take forever because of the holidays, and it's already in transit! Just waiting on the phone call to schedule the delivery. This means we REALLY need to get to work on the nursery, LOL! The room is cleared out, but that's it. There's a LOT of work still to be done!

I snapped my weekly belly shot a few minutes ago, and it's linked on my FB, but I'm gonna share here too, cuz I can.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Hey Col! Your belly looks totally cute... yet another way that you and I are complete opposites! LOL I'm one of those "fat all over" pregnant types.

How fun to get to meet up with some of the other Bumpies!

I'm doing ok... 27 weeks and 2 days now. Officially in the 3rd trimester and totally feeling it. Being as my dr plans to induce at 39 weeks, that means I have less than 12 weeks to go! Holy hannah! I've got SO much to do both with work here and in getting the house ready (the nursery is dh's job, and he's tackling it between semesters... so it won't even be started til mid-dec). It's really overwhelming to think about though.

I had some more bleeding again last night. I also feel some heavy pressure in my pelvic region. I have my weekly appointment with the nurse tomorrow for my progesterone shot, so I'll mention it to her then. Today, I'm just gonna lay low and rest. Monday, I see my doctor for my 28 week appointment and glucose test, and then we start my 2 week visits!

All in all, I'm still super thrilled to be pregnant and can't wait to hold little Chloe in my arms.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, I'm here and 13 weeks along, but things aren't going well. Went in for the NT screening two weeks ago and the ultrasound showed some abnormalities, so they had me come back a week later. That ultrasound just confirmed the findings of the first, and we're very likely looking at a chromosomal abnormality like Down Syndrome, Turner Syndrome or trisomies 13 or 18. The prognosis is not very good, and I'll be going in for genetic testing next week. I have three very healthy children and had relatively easy pregnancies, so this has been quite a shock for us.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:11 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

oh Kara so many hugs. I wish I knew what to say. Just know I'm praying for you and baby.

Col, great belly shot! You look adorable!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh Kara! I'm sorry to hear that. Prayers going up for you and your sweet baby!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Kara, I'm so sorry to hear that! I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers for sure!

Thanks guys! I never thought I'd be a "cute" pregnant lady, so this is kinda fun. We'll see how cute I feel in a few more weeks though, lol! And Libby, I think you look wonderful.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kara,

I'm so so so sorry. My friend had a trisomy 18 pregnancy, I'd be happy to share with you a little of what she went through. Will you be going for an amnio?

HUGS
Old 11-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

so sorry to hear that kara. keeping you in my thoughts!
Old 11-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

OH Kara, honey, I'm so sorry.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm having CVS next Monday, and we should have some preliminary results a few days later. The doctor did say there is about a 10% chance of still having a healthy baby, and that's frankly much higher than I had anticipated based on the research I've been doing, so there is still hope.

Alisa, if it does end up being Trisomy 18, I'll definitely let you know.

Thanks, all!
Old 11-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh Kara...so sorry to hear that...keeping you in thoughts and prayers.

Don't think i've shared on the public boards, just CT, that I am also joining the club...16 weeks today. This is our 4th and a surprise...just sold all the baby clothes this past spring During this pregnancy, I was just diagnosed with Graves Disease but it seems as if things are finally improving symptom wise. I think we find out boy/girl in about 2 or 3 weeks
Old 11-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh congrats, Leslie! Aren't these surprise babies the BEST!?!?!
Old 11-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

well I'm only 12 weeks, and I easily look as pregnant as Col. Bleck. I'm not even eating that much because I've already started feeling full all the time and sometimes don't even realize I'm hungry until something sets off the bear and I'm all yelling and suddenly realize I can't even remember the last time I ate. . .

Kara, I'm so sorry for your unexpected news. Let me encourage you by saying we have some good friends who have a son with Down's Syndrome, and she was telling me the other day what a joy he is and how no one can make friends the way he can. I know it will be hard and challenging, but it can also be a blessing. And if you're not there yet (and I'm sure that I wouldn't be there yet, either) you can just kind of store that away for later.

Congrats Leslie! This one is a surprise for us, but we've adjusted to the idea of having a new baby. . .mostly. ; )
Old 11-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Col - how are you feeling? Are you finally over the MS?

Kara - I've been seeing your posts on FB - I believe in miracles and that's what I'm praying for for you and your baby.

Congrats to all the rest! Enjoy this special time.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

Oh Kara I hope your prayers of a healthy baby will be answered. Positive thoughts headed your way.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara View Post
Well, I'm here and 13 weeks along, but things aren't going well. Went in for the NT screening two weeks ago and the ultrasound showed some abnormalities, so they had me come back a week later. That ultrasound just confirmed the findings of the first, and we're very likely looking at a chromosomal abnormality like Down Syndrome, Turner Syndrome or trisomies 13 or 18. The prognosis is not very good, and I'll be going in for genetic testing next week. I have three very healthy children and had relatively easy pregnancies, so this has been quite a shock for us.
Kara,

Please keep us posted! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers! I have some resources that may be helpful to you, depending upon what news you have after CVS. I'm sure it will be a long wait between CVS and results! Hang in there!
Old 11-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Kara, you've been in my thoughts and prayers since seeing your FB
Old 11-17-2011, 11:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well...the Sweet Shoppe water has struck again...I've joined the club. I'm only about 6 weeks along, just found out a week or so ago. I was a little shocked, and still coming to terms with the news. lol. I had a hard time getting prego with my first two and with this one it was basically the first month off anything and I ended up pregnant. I think we are going to be like Col and be Team Green this time. I can't wait to actually have a surprise at the end!

My prayers are with you and your family Kara.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh so exciting! Congrats, Heather!! So many of us here now!
Old 11-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kara, I'm praying for you... SO much right now.

Libby and Col, you ladies are both looking phenomenal.

And YAYYYYY!!!! to the newly preggers.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 11-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

hugs kara and congrats leslie!
Old 11-18-2011, 02:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kara, you've got my prayers and positive thoughts!
Old 11-18-2011, 02:23 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Big (((HUGS))) Kara! Please let us know what you find out. I'll be thinking about you and praying for you.

Leslie, I was diagnosed with Graves Disease after my second was born. I really struggled with the symptoms for a long time before we realized it wasn't just postpartum hormonal stuff. I'd be happy to talk with you about it. Just make sure you have a good endocrinologist and that they are keep track of your TSH, T3, and T4 levels.

And, good luck to all the rest of you preggos.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had a CVS test done this week - similar to an amnio, but it tests placenta tissue. The results came back today as positive for Down Syndrome. This situation may be more complicated than the typical DS case because our baby still has quite a bit of edema and a cystic hygroma ... so we don't really know the prognosis and it's kind of touch-and-go. Although, DS is the diagnosis that is most mild of all those they were considering, so in that sense, it's good news ... just a lot to process now.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, Kara, honey! I am praying for y'all!!! I can't imagine having to handle that news. But, just think, God has chosen y'all to be the parents of this amazing, special child b/c He knows y'all will love him/her like no one else!! (((hugs)))
Old 11-23-2011, 07:31 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

HUGS Kara! That IS a lot to process, and you guys will have a lot of learning to do before the baby arrives. I have thought, though, that it's such a blessing that we have the technology these days to let us know these things in advance so we can at least prepare a little. I'm sure you'll go through a grieving process--having to change your expectations. But, in the end, you'll be amazing parents, and that little one will be so lucky to have you loving him/her.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Continued prayers for you and your family, Kara!
Old 11-23-2011, 07:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarbox View Post
HUGS Kara! That IS a lot to process, and you guys will have a lot of learning to do before the baby arrives. I have thought, though, that it's such a blessing that we have the technology these days to let us know these things in advance so we can at least prepare a little. I'm sure you'll go through a grieving process--having to change your expectations. But, in the end, you'll be amazing parents, and that little one will be so lucky to have you loving him/her.
Lydia said what I wanted to say...perfectly!! Having a special needs baby is hard (our oldest DS as cerebral palsy) but you will be amazing parents!!! I will continue to pray that your little one grows strong and healthy!! ((hugs))
Old 11-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kara,

I have a close friend who has a son with DS and she recommended that I point you to this blog. I am linking you directly to the birth story from 2010. Both my friend and I read the ongoing blog daily.

I'd be happy to put you in touch with my friend if you'd like to talk to someone who has been through this.

http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/01/...rth-story.html

My thoughts will continue to be with you and your peanut.
Alisa
Old 11-23-2011, 08:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers Kara!
Old 11-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kara, Its sounds like you have some challenges other than the T21 to deal with, but I wanted to share this poem or story with you. We found it very helpful to us when we thought our twin baby girls had some special needs.

WELCOME TO HOLLAND

by
Emily Perl Kingsley.

c1987 by Emily Perl Kingsley. All rights reserved

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss.

But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Kara, I just wanted to tell you that I've been thinking about you and had wondered if you'd heard anything since I checked in last. You are going to be such an amazing blessing in this little one's life, and I can't even begin to imagine the joy that he/she will bring to your family! I know it's a lot to process, but I just wanted you to know that I continue to lift you up in prayer. *HUGS*