Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-10-2015, 10:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default How often do you replace your computer?

I've had my computer between 4-5 years and I fear it's dying a slow death. I have a Macbook Pro and a comparable replacement is > $2k, so needless to say, I'm not super jazzed about the prospect of replacing it. So my questions to you are ...

How often do you replace your computer?

Are you generally replacing because of your desire for new technology or out of necessity (hard drive failure, etc)?

Do you use a PC or a Mac?
Old 02-10-2015, 10:25 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Pc. I just replace parts as needed. Luckily my hubby can build computers so mine just keeps being revamped when needed. Cant remember the last overhaul. New video card last year was the first in ages and only because my new monitor needed HDMI lol.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:26 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

When I was on PCs, every 2 years....I have a MAC I bought in 2009 that still works fabulous, but I bought a new one at the end of 2014 because I wanted a 27"
Old 02-10-2015, 10:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

How often do you replace your computer?
When I had my PCs, we were replacing desktops every 4-5 years and laptops about every 2-3 years...

Are you generally replacing because of your desire for new technology or out of necessity (hard drive failure, etc)?
Apparently I'm really hard on my PCs... haha... so it came out that either things were going bad- hard drives, fans, motherboard - my purple beast aka dell laptop, has pretty much everything replaced in the last 3 years and it still a diva... or the computer slowed down so much that I was threatening to pitch it through the window! Now I have a macbook - LOVE IT!!!!!

Do you use a PC or a Mac?
Had PCs since college (had an Apple in college, but being an IT major, I needed a PC to run programming software) - then hubby was a die hard PC guy... FINALLY, hubby has seen the light when he got sick of having to fix everyone in the families' PCs.... he has been trying to move everyone to Macs.

Last edited by MamaBee; 02-10-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

PC here too....hubby is an I.T. guy so he builds me custom PC's and usually we just replace parts as needed....which my last one lasted about 4 years. I got a brand new build last year, because I got a new box and motherboard so he just did a whole new build.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm sorry you're having computer problems! My PC laptops tend to last about 3 years. After than I'm replacing out of necessity, usually because the computer is showing signs that it's failing, like a large slow down that I can't fix or repeated error messages and shutdowns. I've sometimes had to replace a HD along the way before that 3 year mark. I've never gotten longer than that from a computer (at least not since I started scrapping in 2004), so I've learned to go into each computer purchase expecting to make another one in about that amount of time.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:45 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

I buy a new macbook every twoish years and a new PC every twoish years, so I end up with a new computer of some sort every year or thereabouts. I really love computers... so it's more out of want than necessity if I am honest.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I usually get one about every five years. I have had to replace the DVD drive and power cord to this laptop though. Luckily neither cost anything. I have a PC. Cole worked on my power cord when he was 1 1/2ish so that is what happened there.

I am looking for a new computer now.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:59 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd
Default How often do you replace your computer?

I've had my current MBP for about three years I think, and I want a new one so bad, but I don't really need it yet, so I'm trying to hold out. I'm also thinking that I might get an iMac for my next computer and keep my current MBP for scrapping only. We'll see. I need to save my pennies so I can get something in the next year or so.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

PC here. Mostly because my boss can fix anything PC related.

Mine get replaced when they get so slow I want to throw them in the front yard. The desktop has been upgraded and is still keeping up fine. Seems like laptops are 3+ years about to replace and then it's usually speed related.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:36 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Seriously, I want to smash my computer sometimes - like literally ... I'm on the brink of throwing tantrums when it's slow and unreliable. I have zero patience My husband thinks I'm completely ridiculous for not replacing it.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:39 AM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

LOL. I'm kinda with your husband.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:42 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Carlton View Post
LOL. I'm kinda with your husband.
... I think this thread is persuading me to change my ways! ....
Old 02-11-2015, 12:43 AM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Go buy yourself something pretty. 18 month / No interest financing at Best Buy ... just sayin.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:06 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I had my last mac for 5 years. I'd say replace it! It will save you time and frustration which is a win

You are a power house lady who deserves to be running a machine as snazzy as yourself
Old 02-11-2015, 01:10 AM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

Shoot. P has been talking about me getting a laptop so I can leave the house when I need to to work and I was putting it off not to drop the cash but Robin may have convinced me with Best Buy Financing. LOL
Old 02-11-2015, 01:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My old laptop was 5 years old and was so ridiculous it was unreal but it survived a lot, being dropped, stood on, me hitting it once when it kept crashing lol. I finally had to replace it last month because the charger was burning and the plastic around the hole for the charger melted and I saw sparks when I unplugged it once, it scared me
Old 02-11-2015, 01:19 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
Seriously, I want to smash my computer sometimes - like literally ... I'm on the brink of throwing tantrums when it's slow and unreliable. I have zero patience My husband thinks I'm completely ridiculous for not replacing it.
I replaced my MBP after 4 years and this is how I was before I did it. I didn't want to spend the money but once I did, my only regret was not doing it sooner. It was SO much faster that it made me realize just how much time I'd been wasting waiting for it to do things!
Old 02-11-2015, 04:40 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I got my iMac 3 years ago and I'm loving it! Still fast and I won't be replacing it unless there's something wrong with it.
I buy computer out of necessity instead of want, really. Before that, I was a PC girl as well, since apple was unaffordable for me. Saying that, I still have my Sony laptop, which is around 10 years old now. It's still working, it's on Windows XP, but, I'm pretty sure, it'll be soooo slow or dead if I try to scrap with it!
Old 02-11-2015, 06:25 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I get a new one when my laptop is about to crash. Wich is probably soon...
Old 02-11-2015, 06:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

PCs for me since it is also my work computer (our platform with the hospitals isn't compatible with Apple, which I would love to have but alas it's not happening unless they integrate our platform). I've had my current one for 5 years with nothing replaced over that time. It is getting a bit slow at times but not enough to drive me mad yet. I am looking around now though just in case it does decide to die, and I'd like more RAM and HD space.

HP laptop is also 5 years old and the only thing wrong with it is that you can't use headphones with it anymore so that one won't be replaced for a while.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My first was a Windows laptop, had to replace it after a year. Then I bought a Macbook in 2009, and I'm still using it now. It's been 6 years! It's starting to get slow and I do want to replace it with a new Macbook or iMac, but I don't have a concrete reason to change, other than wanting a faster machine.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am stubborn when it comes to my technology gadgets.... I love them and I hate change, so I end up running mine until they won't run anymore. I much prefer spending my extra cash, on new scrap stuff, OR clothes or other pieces of technology, so when I get a computer I baby it and make it last. My hubby on the other hand is a Computer guy....so he feels the need to have the best of the best at all times...... my only rule is he doesn't ever touch my laptop... cause he's like "Tim the Tool Man Taylor".... I KNOW he'd open it up, try to give it "more power" and mess everything up! LOL

Last edited by JennNtheBoys; 02-11-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:05 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I replaced my PC laptops every 2 years on average. Never out of want, always need. I hate spending big chunks of money on myself. However, just got a Mac last fall - let's just say this baby better last more than 2 years!

Old 02-11-2015, 10:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got my current PC for Christmas in 2009, and it's still going strong! *knock on wood* I usually only replaced when it was absolutely necessary, and then my hubby would usually just replace/fix whatever was wrong for as long as he could. For Christmas that year, though, he got me this awesome PC new, and it's been awesome. So far the only things I've had to replace since getting this one have been the mouse and keyboard, so that's pretty good for me. I know I won't replace it until I have to.

DH is a holdhout as well. His laptop is a total piece of crap, but it's still working, so he won't replace it. He hates spending money on himself. If he is still using it though, by the time our car is paid off next year, I'm just going to go out and replace it for him!
Old 02-11-2015, 10:54 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

PC here. I got my laptop for Christmas in 2010. I upgraded the RAM a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't absolutely necessary, more of a want. I want to upgrade to a SSD next, and I expect it should last me a couple more years.

My desktop is my made up of my husband's hand me downs. He's a computer engineer--you don't want to know how many random computer parts we have in our garage. It got a SSD, RAM, and a new graphics card for Christmas in 2013. That upgrade was necessary as it took forever to do anything in Photoshop.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

PC for me - I had my previous one for just under 3 years and replaced it last month with a different brand. I only replaced cause repairing it was going to cost about 50% of a new one plus I got about $400 off it so my new one was a good deal

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 02-11-2015, 11:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When I had PC's, they made it a max of two years before they bit the dust… Every stinking time. lol.

My current iMac is three years old. I considered getting a new one at the end of the year since I'm a photographer and it would have been a tax write off (plus, they had just released the new iMacs), but NOTHING is wrong with this computer so I held off. I will probably buy a new one next December and give this one to my husband.

One thing holding me back is my software. I bought the last versions of PS & Lightroom and would rather not switch to Creative Cloud until I absolutely have to. lol.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm on a PC. I replaced my last computer after 5.5 years, but solely as a tax writeoff for work. I still continued to use it until about 8 months ago when we moved and I had no space for two computers set up for just me. We upgrade parts as needed- I'll probably add more memory and a new video card in another year or two on my current computer. I doubt I'll get a new computer until 2018 or 2019 though, as my current computer is just over 2 years old.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:24 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

This is quite a timely discussion for me because my new baby (aka MacBook Air) just arrived yesterday. I am sooo excited! I have been using PC’s pretty much my whole life, but I was given a MacBook Air on loan at my last job and fell in love with it. When I left that job a few months ago, I just couldn’t go back to a PC. Plus, my old 6+-year-old desktop has been dying a slow and painful death for the last year or so. I decided the timing was right to take the Mac plunge, and since they also offer 18-months no interest financing like Robin mentioned, I went for it. I am still getting everything all set up but hope to do some scrapping tonight. I can’t wait!
Old 02-11-2015, 11:30 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

We use our computers until they die, pretty much. My husband's PC laptop is several years old and the iMac I'm using is 4 years old. I was having some computer problems over the fall, but those seem to have gone away finally, since we installed new memory cards.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:43 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

My pc is about 3 years old, and it works GREAT! but Iam getting a laptop soon
Old 02-11-2015, 02:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We use a desktop until we can't update it any longer. Usually somewhere around 10 years. We don't spend a lot to update either. My husband does the work and keeps them running smoothly (them being 3 PC desktops at home). - Laptop we use until it is just too old to update any longer. Then we still continue to use it. LOL We're using a 9 year old Dell. DH did pick up a Toshiba from a facebook group that is a little newer and runs well. A laptop for us is no more than a tablet, its really just to browse the internet on. We don't 'work' from a laptop. I find laptops completely awkward. I need a full sized keyboard, mouse, large monitor, etc.

These days we mostly update due to necessity. We're past the days of updating out of desire. I can't justify the expense. This is also why we are PC people. We started with PC back in '95 when we got our first computer together. We never even considered a Mac until I began using Macs at work. I find that there are some features I really like but not enough to pay such a huge difference in price when the hardware is essentially exactly the same as the PC. The operating system isn't worth that much to me. When I save up some cash for a Mac, I always end up changing my mind and putting it towards something else (and we don't finance, at all). I'm just not that attached to the features that I like on the Mac. My boss builds PC/Mac hybrids that run both operating systems. I'd kinda like to get my hands on one of those.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My desktop PC is probably about 6 years average. The laptop we use for family use is more like 3-4.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
We use a desktop until we can't update it any longer. Usually somewhere around 10 years. We don't spend a lot to update either. My husband does the work and keeps them running smoothly (them being 3 PC desktops at home). - Laptop we use until it is just too old to update any longer. Then we still continue to use it. LOL We're using a 9 year old Dell. DH did pick up a Toshiba from a facebook group that is a little newer and runs well. A laptop for us is no more than a tablet, its really just to browse the internet on. We don't 'work' from a laptop. I find laptops completely awkward. I need a full sized keyboard, mouse, large monitor, etc.
I also prefer using dual monitors and having a full size keyboard with mouse, etc .. so I use a docking station for my laptop. Easy peasy. If you didn't want to invest in a docking station, you can always just plug everything into the laptop directly.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I had my last mac for 5 years. I'd say replace it! It will save you time and frustration which is a win

You are a power house lady who deserves to be running a machine as snazzy as yourself
Thanks for calling me a snazzy power house! That made my day!!
Old 02-11-2015, 10:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use them until they die on me, haha

Old 02-11-2015, 11:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I also prefer using dual monitors and having a full size keyboard with mouse, etc .. so I use a docking station for my laptop. Easy peasy. If you didn't want to invest in a docking station, you can always just plug everything into the laptop directly.
We did that for a bit when my kids were small and we were using the laptop as a second desktop. Honestly though, we've never not had a desktop so we've never had to worry about it all. If I were carrying a computer back and forth between home and work, I'd totally use a docking station. That is what we have in place for building principals. I have an iMac at work. When I use a student macbook I grumble and find myself wanting to hook it up to a different keyboard/monitor. LOL At home, I just don't use a laptop at all. When I was designing DH bought a laptop for me because he thought it would be great for me to be able to work from different locations in the house, the park, while we were traveling, etc. I never got the hang of it so DH started using it and I stuck with my desktop. So, while I know it is an option it just doesn't make sense to me since we generally build our own desktop and therefore pay less than we would for a laptop with similar specs anyway.