Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-30-2014, 02:06 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Default Creating text IN a Custom Shaped Tex Box - PSE 12

Hello Everyone! I am searching (unsuccessfully) for a Photoshop Elements 12 Tutorial. I want to learn how to create irregular or custom shaped text boxes. I have found all kinds of tutorials for text ON a path, or ON a selection, but I want to place my text IN a selection/shape. I am sure this cannot be that difficult, I just can't seem to find a tutorial/website on how to do it. Can you girls think of any or could you tell me how to do this in PSE 12 in a few simple steps?? Thanks for your expertise!
Old 03-30-2014, 02:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Does this help? https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/t...ext-on-a-path/
Old 03-30-2014, 02:14 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I did this a while ago with PSE 10 - I'm thinking that it would be the same for PSE 12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gINqYXBXjrY
Old 03-30-2014, 02:15 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

In photoshop, once you create the closed path, you click IN the box formed by the path rather than on the path itself with your text tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2014, 03:04 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Jacinda - Thank you for the tutorial link. I had seen this one. I couldn't quite figure it out how to apply these tips for PSE 12, but I will play around a bit more.

Christy - yes, thank you - the tutorial you shared was helpful because this gets me a step closer to what I am trying to do. The stumbling block I am running into is - What if I don't want my text to conform to one of PS's standard shapes??

Traci - Thank you for your input. I need "PSE 12 for Dummies" because making a closed text path is exactly what I don't know how to do. If I could get this one crucial step figured out, I might be in business! LOL! ...Specifically, I am thinking of your February tutorial on the Gossamer Blue page - about adding text around the subject of your photo. (This is what I am trying to do for the layout I am working on, but I can see how knowing how to make custom text boxes would be useful in a number of scrappy situations...) In that tutorial, you mention using the "pen" tool, but I can't seem to figure this out in PSE 12. I have a pencil tool, and I can draw a shape, but haven't figured out how to make that into my textbox.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm admittedly, it's been a LONG time since I used PSE (I believe I stopped on version 5. LOL), but i know in the past, you weren't able to create custom text paths in PSE. You could use text paths that were created in PS (such as these in the shoppe), but you couldn't actually create your own. Has that changed with the new versions of PSE?
Old 03-31-2014, 01:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know that you can do that in PSE 11. Maybe there is a tutorial for it there. The one thing I remember from when I looked at it ages ago is that it had to be one of their shapes. You couldn't just draw some random box, cut a couple chunks out of it (like with an eraser to go around an element) and have it fit it into that.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:58 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Photoshop Elements does not have a pen tool so that's out. LOL!

Are you trying to do this with your text?

If yes, then I can tell you how I did it in PSE 11...if no, then maybe you can show an example of what you are trying to achieve. PSE has lots of limitations when it comes to custom shaped text.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

To my knowledge, there is no way in PSE to add text in the shape of a unique shape you make. You need to use their shapes. PSE does not allow you to make unique text paths like the full version of Photoshop does.

If you really want text to follow a shape and have some time you fudge it a bit, but it won't turn out perfect: Create a text box that is just a bit bigger than your shape. Use the space and enter buttons to help space the text to look like you want.