Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default another random question

about politics. Nothing controversial. But just something I was wondering about. My mom and dad told me since I was young it is not polite to ask what political party you are registered as or really to discuss politics. I honestly do not know what either one of them were. I always assumed republican. But I never asked. Has anyone ever heard that before? Actually my mom told me never ask about politics, how much someone weighs, how much money they make or how old they are

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I believe the common thought is to never talk about politics, religion, money or sex with anyone but close friends.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

And I think there are good reasons for it. Even in my own family, we have varying opinions on all of the above.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

For the record I tend to generally keep my opinion on politics to myself even with close friends now. It causes to many hurt feelings.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Barrette View Post
I believe the common thought is to never talk about politics, religion, money or sex with anyone but close friends.
yep I agree

LOL! I was on bed bath and beyond website early last week and there is a president obama shower curtain (I'm not kidding) I suppose this would be an easy way to let people know what party you are in favor of.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

religion does not bother me as much as politics and well sex to me is not something to be discussed outside of you and your partner. And I dont care how much money someone makes. It isnt something Id ever think to talk about. I always told my kids money and politics though. Religion is discussed pretty freely here. I have been to pentecostal, baptist, lutheran, catholic services...probably more then that. I am however lutheran.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My parents always said the same exact things Jessica.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I'm the odd one out and will talk about any of those with just about anyone who asks But then I'm weird like that.

But yes, I'm sure it's widely taught that those things aren't discussed in polite company lol.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My mom never talked about anything with me lol. I talk about everything with my kids and family. I am also willing to talk about anything with others and love when I find open minded people that can talk about things even when you disagree. I think it is great to hear other peoples opinions! If I can not find someone like that I pretty much only talk to dh and kids lol
Old 07-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I just had to go search for that! Funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
yep I agree

LOL! I was on bed bath and beyond website early last week and there is a president obama shower curtain (I'm not kidding) I suppose this would be an easy way to let people know what party you are in favor of.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with this.
Quote:
Old 07-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

This is how I was raised as well, and this is how I have raised my two children to be.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
I'm the odd one out and will talk about any of those with just about anyone who asks But then I'm weird like that.

But yes, I'm sure it's widely taught that those things aren't discussed in polite company lol.
I'm weird too, I suppose. I don't mind talking about any of those topics, especially when I have an opinion.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i personally choose not to talk about those things. i have my own opinions, and i don't have a thick enough skin to debate with people and that's usually what conversations about politics, money, and religion (if you know me i always want to talk about sex) wind up being.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sounds good to me. That will save you in alot of situations!
Old 07-15-2012, 12:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was raised the same way. I have my thoughts on how my parents lean politicallly, specifically my mother, but it's simply not something we discuss. I have chosen to do the opposite with my own kids. I want them to see and know my opinions and why I have them. I'm teaching them to think for themselves of course, I know too many people who 'make' their kids into little miniepublicans or democrats or whatevers...
Old 07-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I was raised the same as well. I will not start a conversation about politics or religion but if someone else does then I will certainly join in. I have been known to start conversations about sex, but since absolutely every woman I know has read 50 Shades of Grey in the past month it's almost hard not to have a conversation about sex.

My parents were Democrats when I was a child. West Virginia was not a hotbed of Republicanism in the 70s. Later they became "whoever I dislike least" voters as so many people have. I know they voted for Reagan & Bush the first. And Clinton.

We discuss politics with our kids (8 & 9) all the time. They know I dislike the 2 party system & vote 3rd party whenever possible and they know why I think that way. They know tons about the constitution & about what the President actually can & cannot do & why political ad soundbites are useless & who pays what taxes & what that money is used for & how you cannot believe a word in any political ad that attacks the other side & ask "but how are they going to do that?" when they hear the promises & due to their parents they have very cynical outlooks about politicians in general. I don't think it's a bad thing for my kids to know what I think & how I came to those ideas about politics.

Last edited by Stacey42; 07-15-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:06 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm uncomfortable about talking about religion, but was raised in an environment that encouraged debate and discussion of current events, including politics, sex, abortion, etc. I won't go up to strangers and drop a bomb on them, but if there's a discussion going on I will definitely chime in if its something that is important to me (and if I know what they're talking about I think America is entirely too squeemish about sex, especially in the Midwest where I'm from, so that can get me in trouble sometimes, but we're open with our children and when the time comes, I want them to be as open-minded, articulate, and knowledgeable as they can possible be.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We always talked politics in my family-and I still do-in the right company. There is a time and a place to talk about politics and my views on them, and I know where that time and place is. I do however believe in volunteering my time and effort to my political party of choice-and have taught my children the same. I believe that if the entire nation chooses not to talk about politics then things will never change and politics is an area which is in constant need of change.
Sex-good lord-I talk about it all the time-but once again not with strangers on the street or anything-same with my religious views or lack there off.
As long as you know your audience I think you can filter what you say and have any topic of conversation be safe and most importantly effective.
Edited to add-I have always longed to raise free thinkers and do whatever I can to equip my children with the tools they need to make up their own mind on religion, sex and politics. I feel that if I were to sweep these things under the rug they wouldn't have the tools they need to make up their own minds. You can't decide on an issue or make a good one if you know nothing about it.

Last edited by ZaCola3; 07-15-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My degree is in politcal science so I want to talk politics with people. I guess I have never heard not to talk that.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

My mom always told me the same. However, I do know what political party my parents are. My father and I are democrats and my mom and brother are republicans. We cancel each other out in voting.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Well growing up in South Africa, I suppose talking politic was par for the course. So discussing politics has never phased me. Neither have any of those other topics. I think I love the debate though... I married a man who almost fundamentally disagrees with my political opinions.

As for which political party you support, it never occurs to me to ask. In fact I prefer not knowing...
Old 07-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I've always heard that you aren't supposed to talk about those things too, but I guess as I've gotten older I realize that religion and politics are sort of what makes up your individual view of the world, which I think is pretty important. I'm all for sharing my views in a loving, civil manner with my family, my children, even strangers, but only if they ask LOL. I won't beat anyone over the head, but I think it's ridiculous to act like we don't all have opinions and no two of us are going to agree about everything!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was taught the same thing as Jessica. However, I married into an extremely opinionated and political minded family, and that has opened political discussions up for me. I still don't ask what party people claim though and I don't usually bring it up either. I will talk about politics when the subject is brought up by others though.

Oh, and even though that's what my parent's taught me, I still always knew what party they agreed with.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieKW View Post
I was taught the same thing as Jessica. However, I married into an extremely opinionated and political minded family, and that has opened political discussions up for me. I still don't ask what party people claim though and I don't usually bring it up either. I will talk about politics when the subject is brought up by others though.

Oh, and even though that's what my parent's taught me, I still always knew what party they agreed with.
This was me too. My parents taught me not to bring it up, but I don't mind discussing any of these things if someone else brings it up. I also always knew what party they were but not until I was in high school. As a child of the 60s and 70s things were different anyway