Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2012, 10:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default So... what are your Thanksgiving Plans?

Just curious....

We are hosting again... what was the standard number of 16 has grew to 22 this year. My Brother in Law is coming... the first time since he moved to Seattle 4 years ago... then a family friend on my Mom's side is joining us - her sister is working and she would be otherwise sitting home... and today my hubby invited a contractor and his wife and daughter... they are originally here from India and have no family/friends in this area. They are really excited to experience a Thanksgiving!

I'm not worried about making enough food - I always have way too much... it's just where to put them in my 1500 sqft house! haha... I can barely 16 squeezed into the dining area. And there is no children's table since J is the only kid under the age 25.

So - what are your plans? Do you host... or do you go to someone else's place... or do you just go out to eat?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We are traveling down to my parents tomorrow. My mom is cooking at home and I will be helping. It will be my mom, my dad, my cousin and his GF, my two DDs, and my husband. It should hopefully be pretty chill.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's just me and my boys again. If I didn't have to work on Friday, I'm sure we'd have gone up to visit his family in Michigan.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I'm working. Kiddo went with my mom to spend time with the family for the weekend. After work, I need to work on packing up our place.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My brother and his GF are flying in to surprise the kiddos. Dinner will just be the 6 of us. Should be lots of fun!
Old 11-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We are going to the farm on Thanksgiving for dinner with my in laws. On Friday, I will be baking and cooking all day and Saturday my family is all coming in and I'm hosting our second celebration. We will have thirteen and eleven of them will be staying over night.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have 3 couples coming over to make 10 people! Everyone is contributing to the meal. It's a vegetarian thanksgiving with Martha Stewarts Nutloaf as a the main dish!
Old 11-20-2012, 11:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We switch year-to-year driving up to my parents (2.5 hrs) and staying here in town with the ILs. This is a stay in town year, and Hubs' brother + crew are going to their ILs', so it will just be Hubs + me + the kids (we do have SS this year) + MIL + FIL + Grandma. I tried talking MIL into not making as much food since the kids and Grandma will barely eat anything, but she insists that it has to be full-on Turkey Day buffet or it doesn't count.

I would love to be able to host at my house and invite all those who can't leave town/don't have local family to eat with us. Maybe someday...
Old 11-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I'm cooking and we have a total of 10 people. us, my parents, my brother, sil, niece and nephew.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Usually I host it at our house but I just am not up to it this year. I am still techinically hosting it just doing it at my daughters. Her mother and father in law are coming over I guess. I told her friends they are welcome to come over if they feel up to it. Went over there today and helped her clean everything up and brought over a roaster and got all the food yesterday. Went and got something nice to wear and I am making my hubby wear something nice so we can get pictures later. It should be a good day

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 11-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We usually go to Chris' parents house just a block down the street. I'll bring something along too, but for the most part, MIL insists on cooking and hosting. Fine by me, though I do think it would be neat to host it sometime.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We are going to my inlaws this year. I already cooked Thanksgiving for us on Saturday. Not a huge fan of "yankee" Thanksgiving menus, lol! My parents were suppose to come up from GA, but their plans fell through at the last minute.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I'm hosting this year, it's been I think 2 year since the last time I did!!! It's gonna be us (7), my parents and nephews (4) and my sister and her family (4), so a total of 15......6 adults and 9 kids!!!

My mom is bring pies. My sister is bring drinks and hubby is cooking everything else!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 11-21-2012, 12:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our big Thanksgiving fell through. My niece and her boyfriend were coming from CA and then my brother and his family would join us and my BIL and his family. Niece isn't coming, so brother isn't coming, and BIL decided to go out to eat.

But DS#1 is coming home from college for 3 days - first time he's been home overnight since he moved out in August. So it will be the 6 of us. I'll do the traditional turkey dinner and then we'll also grill steaks. And it's the first Thanksgiving with a puppy, so THAT will be interesting.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We are going to my mom's house which is 3 hrs away. Eating and watching football on Thursday, Black Friday shopping, taking my niece to the Americal Girl doll store, watching more football, and maybe squeezing in Breaking Dawn pt 2 (might do that thursday afternoon). Then Saturday we are all going to the Texas Tech vs. Baylor football game at Cowboy stadium. Super excited about that!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:01 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It's just going to be me, hubs, and two daughters.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm working and Cheyanne is going to her aunt and uncle's with her brother and his wife and her niece. I work every year on Thanksgiving for the double-time plus 8 hours of holiday pay - it ends up being 3 days of pay in 1 Thanksgiving isn't really a big holiday for us and never has been. Cheyanne and I are going to a movie (Red Dawn) with friends in the early evening, and we will be going to my parents on Friday to have dinner with my sister and her kids since her kids will be with their father on Thanksgiving.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:51 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Vanessa - what is a "yankee" thanksgiving? How do they do it up in the South? I might want to change up my menu...

So interesting to see other's plans... I would love to have a quiet dinner with just a few close people. LOL! This is the my eighth year hosting... what started out as a "it's not right that hubby's grandmas sit home alone on Thanksgiving"... became the aunts and uncles on hubby's side who would be with one of hubby's grandma's (she just doesn't have to cook now)... and then hubby's cousins - who live of state - come if they are in town for Turkey day (only once that happened - they are most likely to show up at Christmas - which we also host)... and now this is the first year we have non-family (outside of the "girlfriends" Uncle Jim would bring a few years)... I'm excited! I LOVE to cook big... and I LOVE good eaters! And this will be the first year I have vegetarian at my table with the invite of Amaresch and family... so will have to adjust recipes to replace the chicken stock I usually use. They are prepared to see the turkey on the table... Amaresch was pretty darn excited about that, haha.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We're going backpacking/camping Thursday and Friday, so our big Thanksgiving meal will probably be Mac 'n Cheese cooked on a camp stove . I really like turkey, though, so I'll be cooking a turkey, stuffing, etc. on Saturday or Sunday.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

We're staying home this year and since none of us agree on things like sides & white or dark meat and we are not fond of leftovers, we're going to a place that is having a big Thanksgiving buffet with turkey, ham, prime rib, and all the sides & desserts you could want. Then we are going to the park to see the holiday light display.

It's our at home holiday Thanksgiving. One day on a Thanksgiving decades from now one of my sons will say to his wife "Don't get me wrong honey, I love your reservations, but they just aren't like the reservations mom used make."
Old 11-21-2012, 08:51 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

We are doing Thanksgiving with my family today. My parents reserved their church building for us since we're such a big group. There will be 11 adults and 25 kids.

Tomorrow, we'll have a small gathering with Brett's parents and his sister (not sure if her kids will be with us or not). So, Thanksgiving twice this year!!! Since it's my favorite holiday, I really can't be upset about that.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We're having supper at my parents' house today...not a big Thanksgiving meal..that will be tomorrow at my grandmother's house with the rest of our extended family.

My FIL had open heart surgery last week and I think I'm going to cook and take it all down there on Friday to have a meal with them so my MIL doesn't have to worry with anything.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We go to my parents house because their house is bigger then ours. My in laws are also invited so the kids get to have Thanksgiving with both sets of grandparents. We buy the turkey and must of the stuff and then my parents buy what we don't (usually green beans and marshmallows) and my in laws bring desert and my MIL will make something to bright (usually a fruit salad. My parents cook and everyone helps clean up. We've been doing it this way since 2009.

You know what I should really scrapbook this process that we have.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
And this will be the first year I have vegetarian at my table with the invite of Amaresch and family... so will have to adjust recipes to replace the chicken stock I usually use. They are prepared to see the turkey on the table... Amaresch was pretty darn excited about that, haha.
That is so nice of you to do! I can't tell you how many people don't realize chicken stock makes it non-vegetarian friendly.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

It's a quiet year this year, sadly. Normally I have my entire family at my house (about 25), but things didn't work out that way this year with everyone having other commitments for work, etc. BUT my daughter is coming home today from college (we see her often... just not often enough... lol) and bringing her boyfriend with too (he's been here a million times as well, they been together two years now) so it will just be the 5 of us this year. Im still doing full Thanksgiving dinner though, but it's just not as fun doing it in such a quiet house. Drats. Im hoping and praying that my parents will change their mind and make the drive to come join us. We live almost 3 hours from them, and my dad just got done driving home 1300 miles from visiting his side of the family/hunting, and he arrived home last night so mom wasn't sure dad would want to do the 3 hour (well with holiday traffic, probably 5) drive. Makes me sad!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We've got a nice 6 hr drive (not including stops) ahead of us today. Going to my parents house in Wisconsin until Saturday. Looking forward to my Mom's pies and mashed potatoes Saturday we might head over to Minneapolis to go to a Gopher football game but that really depends on the weather - not sure it's a good idea to have a 14 month old sit outside in 32 degree weather for a few hours!

Old 11-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

My sister and I will be going to one of my step-sisters tomorrow where she's going to serve a premade at the grocery store meal that's sure to taste as good as the box it came in. If we're really lucky, there'll actually be enough for the 16 of us that'll be there. Last time she did this, there was only enough stuffing for us to have about the amount that fits on a baby spoon. Oh, and I can't forget, the Patriots game will be on the TV blaring loud in the room while we're eating. Gotta make sure that dinner table conversation doesn't drown it out. Can you tell I'm happy? *LOL*

My sister and I are moving next year and we're going to be in a house with a larger dining room than we have now...big enough to fit everyone. I've already told her that come September, we're going "announce" that we'll host Thanksgiving. I'd much rather do all the work and have everyone over my house if it means getting good, home made food and actually have dinner conversation that doesn't revolve around whether or not Tom Brady can throw for a touchdown.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Lol! Well, Sean's parents do Turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, & corn casserole. And maybe rolls. Pumpkin pie & i don't about any other desserts.

The first year we lived here I had to take all the extras, lol! because sean kept asking who is making this or that.

I do Turkey, dressing (thats the biggest difference), gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, green been casserole, corn on the cob, deviled eggs, cranberry sauce (canned, its my fav, lol). And at least 2 desserts. I need to learn to make giblet gravy. And rolls of some kind. I usually do some kind of appetizer too for the football watching.

I'm sure not all "yankee" thanksgivings are as slim on the fixings, buts its the only one I've been too. Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Vanessa - what is a "yankee" thanksgiving? How do they do it up in the South? I might want to change up my menu...

So interesting to see other's plans... I would love to have a quiet dinner with just a few close people. LOL! This is the my eighth year hosting... what started out as a "it's not right that hubby's grandmas sit home alone on Thanksgiving"... became the aunts and uncles on hubby's side who would be with one of hubby's grandma's (she just doesn't have to cook now)... and then hubby's cousins - who live of state - come if they are in town for Turkey day (only once that happened - they are most likely to show up at Christmas - which we also host)... and now this is the first year we have non-family (outside of the "girlfriends" Uncle Jim would bring a few years)... I'm excited! I LOVE to cook big... and I LOVE good eaters! And this will be the first year I have vegetarian at my table with the invite of Amaresch and family... so will have to adjust recipes to replace the chicken stock I usually use. They are prepared to see the turkey on the table... Amaresch was pretty darn excited about that, haha.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

it's just the boy and me this year. but my best friend and her mom are coming down from waterloo, ontario on thursday night, to do black friday shopping. and i'm making dinner for friday. so yeah. it's a quiet thanksgiving this year. he has to work black friday, or we'd have gone home.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
Lol! Well, Sean's parents do Turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, & corn casserole. And maybe rolls. Pumpkin pie & i don't about any other desserts.

The first year we lived here I had to take all the extras, lol! because sean kept asking who is making this or that.

I do Turkey, dressing (thats the biggest difference), gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, green been casserole, corn on the cob, deviled eggs, cranberry sauce (canned, its my fav, lol). And at least 2 desserts. I need to learn to make giblet gravy. And rolls of some kind. I usually do some kind of appetizer too for the football watching.

I'm sure not all "yankee" thanksgivings are as slim on the fixings, buts its the only one I've been too. Lol!

hahaha... yeah, then mine isn't that "yankee" of a meal... but I can see that - my hubby's family is totally that way - the first year DH's step mom came to the US (she is Russian), she didn't want turkey so she made pork chops with a potato, boiled cabbage, and some crazy salad with 27 ingrediants (I wasn't there - but I bet it was that horrible dish she makes with boiled eggs and herring ) Then hubby took care of thanksgiving after that until he met me... but he was all about - turkey, mashed potatos, stove top stuffing, and pie and a boat load of gravy... I have about 14 different side dishes (no boxed stuff here), three kinds of pie and a plates of other sweets for desert (the desert is all my mom - she loves to bake - I didn't inherit that gene)... and that is all after the huge table of apps. I love this holiday!!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Vanessa,

I'm from Massachusetts - about as "Yankee" as it gets - and our Thanksgiving dinners were always HUGE. Turkey, at least one kind of stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, gravy, 4 or 5 kinds of vegetables, rolls, salad, both kinds of cranberry sauce, macaroni and cheese, and several desserts.

We live in Virginia now and I typically make Turkey, stuffing, gravy, potatoes, corn casserole, rolls and cheesecake (although I forgot the rolls this year). But that's only because there are only four of us and it would be crazy to make a ton of food that most of my family wouldn't eat anyway because they don't like vegetables.

Kinda funny that we're having a "Yankee" Thanksgiving dinner in Virginia and didn't when I was growing up in Mass.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Since our family is all spread out across the country, it's just going to be Adam and me. The hassle and expense of traveling doesn't make sense for so few days so this is how we've done it every year since we've been married (minus the 2 times he was deployed). It's nice though because it's makes for a fairly relaxing day (you don't have 8 million people in the kitchen trying to "help", haha) and we still do a full-on feast. In the past we've done a full turkey but last year we did a turkey breast instead and it worked out so well we're doing it again this year. We'll still have all the sides and two pies (pumpkin & pecan) though, haha. Should be fun!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Typically I host and cook everything for my IL's. They've been pretty rotten towards me since summer (dh and I are having some marriage issues). So I am actually boycotting traditional Thanksgiving.

I've got a pot of Chili on the stove, we're taking that, some hot dogs, marshmallows and cocoa, up into the Mountains and cutting down a Christmas Tree/playing in the snow.

When we come home, we're having meatballs with cranberry BBQ sauce, sweet potato fries. broccoli, homemade rolls, pumpkin pie and apple cider.

We are doing traditional Thanksgiving at my mom's house on Saturday evening after going to the holiday parade in town.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm at Disneyworld There are 12 of us - our family of five, my in-laws, and BIL with his family. Our thanksgiving dinner will be at the Grand Floridian, 1900 Park Fare.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by apphotos View Post
When we come home, we're having meatballs with cranberry BBQ sauce, sweet potato fries. broccoli, homemade rolls, pumpkin pie and apple cider.
Oh, that sounds wonderful!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrijc View Post
I'm at Disneyworld There are 12 of us - our family of five, my in-laws, and BIL with his family. Our thanksgiving dinner will be at the Grand Floridian, 1900 Park Fare.
Okay - now you have me totally jealous!!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:00 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

There will be 19 of us here tomorrow. There are 8 in our family, my mom and dad, my sis, bil, and their new first born, then our dear friends and there 4 kiddos. We split up the meal - but the spread is mostly traditional.
Ham (everyone likes ham but only some like turkey), cornbread dressing, candied yams, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, pink stuff, corn, glazed carrots, pecan pie, chocolate pie, layered cream cheese dessert, praline strips, salsa, and cheese dip. Lol. We'll have leftovers for a day or two. Hahaha.

Board games and maybe we'll stream the score for the Cowboys game (since we are Texan and that is sorta a requirement)
Old 11-22-2012, 12:00 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

[
I want to come to your house!

Stuffing is my biggest issue, its so different from the dressing i grew up with.

QUOTE=MamaBee;1062124]hahaha... yeah, then mine isn't that "yankee" of a meal... but I can see that - my hubby's family is totally that way - the first year DH's step mom came to the US (she is Russian), she didn't want turkey so she made pork chops with a potato, boiled cabbage, and some crazy salad with 27 ingrediants (I wasn't there - but I bet it was that horrible dish she makes with boiled eggs and herring ) Then hubby took care of thanksgiving after that until he met me... but he was all about - turkey, mashed potatos, stove top stuffing, and pie and a boat load of gravy... I have about 14 different side dishes (no boxed stuff here), three kinds of pie and a plates of other sweets for desert (the desert is all my mom - she loves to bake - I didn't inherit that gene)... and that is all after the huge table of apps. I love this holiday!![/QUOTE]
Old 11-22-2012, 12:02 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ok good! I was really wondering. I always fed all my military friends too when i was in the service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateD View Post
Vanessa,

I'm from Massachusetts - about as "Yankee" as it gets - and our Thanksgiving dinners were always HUGE. Turkey, at least one kind of stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, gravy, 4 or 5 kinds of vegetables, rolls, salad, both kinds of cranberry sauce, macaroni and cheese, and several desserts.

We live in Virginia now and I typically make Turkey, stuffing, gravy, potatoes, corn casserole, rolls and cheesecake (although I forgot the rolls this year). But that's only because there are only four of us and it would be crazy to make a ton of food that most of my family wouldn't eat anyway because they don't like vegetables.

Kinda funny that we're having a "Yankee" Thanksgiving dinner in Virginia and didn't when I was growing up in Mass.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eranslow View Post
- not sure it's a good idea to have a 14 month old sit outside in 32 degree weather for a few hours!
We took DS2 to the Iditarod start at 6 months. 20ish degrees for 3 or 4 hours...

Just bundle him up and have fun!
Old 11-22-2012, 01:33 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

20 plus people in one home yikes... Its been this way over the years Its my most fav time.
On the road now Headed to my beloved mamás in NC for our annual get together.

My mom & sis will cook, turkey, ham, rolls, mashed pot., stuffing pies, trifles & our ol FAV tamales.. mmmm

Old 11-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We are home this year. Every other year we meet up somewhere with my SIL and her family who live in PA. We pick a place somewhere in the middle and meet there. Last year it was Nashville.

On the years we are home, we host. My mom, two brothers and nephew are the only ones who come, so that just makes 8 of us. Today everyone ate and then cleared out before 3. I enjoy them, but it is kind of nice to be able to just laze around my clean house today, enjoying the fall decorations one more day before I put them away.