Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2012, 04:08 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Another kindle question...

I have another kindle question for you all.
I have stacks of books, mostly supernatural stuff: Charlaine Harris, Richelle Mead, Stephenie Meyer etc. They are all sitting on a book shelf collecting dust.

I was wondering what everyone did with their old paperbacks once they bought a kindle? Do you keep them and re read them, or do you sell them and then if you want to reead them add them to your kindle library??

Old 01-22-2012, 07:30 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Skype™ to Damayanti Studio

The most favorite save. Others I give away or sell to people who resell used books
Unfortunately there is little room in the library )))))))
Old 01-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've always resold books at the used bookstore or gotten them from the library. I only keep books I might want to reread. (And all 3 of the authors you mentioned would be on my keep list. ) When I switched to Kindle I kept the DTBs (dead tree books) that I already had. That said, if I ever want to reread them I'll probably check if the library has them in Kindle format. It's not worth it to me to pay for them twice, but I'd rather read them on the Kindle.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

If I buy a book, any more, it's because I love the author, loved the book, or it's a reference we need for our home library, or are classics I want to make sure we always have. From a former bookstore person and confirmed book hoarder, this says a lot! We have books EVERYWHERE in our house, so I had to make that rule to keep us from being consumed. We are prolific readers and check out everything we can from the library first.

I read the Hunger Games on the kindle..and will probably go back and buy the 1st of the series to keep with my favorite books. I probably won't buy my favorites for the Kindle since I already have the book version in the house.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I kept my favorites and sold most of them. A few went to a friend who wanted them.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't normally reead books, so all of my paperbacks I usually sell back to a used book store. I've found that I can get a lot of books I want for the kindle from the library. I'm so glad that this option is available now.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I keep my existing books. I'm not going to pay to replace something I already own that is in good condition. The vast majority of my dead tree books come from the library. If I love it enough to want to reread it I'll buy it. I mostly only buy new stuff from authors I already know & love

But owning a kindle does not mean I only buy kindle books. Used paperbacks are so much cheaper & easy to find on places like half.com. I buy the cheapest form available. If I find a new to me author at the library & they have 3-4 books out I know I'll want to reread I go to half.com first because often I can get all 4 books plus shipping within a dollar of the cost of one kindle book.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I was just thinking about this same thing. I really need to go through my books. I've got boxes upon boxes of books that I never unpacked once I moved to Kansas. Some of them are faves that I know I'll reead. For those, I'll definitely save. The others I'll probably donate or put in a yard sale.

I'm too cheap to re-buy favorites in Kindle format though.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I donated to a library
Old 01-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

*looks at three overflowing bookcases*
I guess this is something I need to think about doing as well..

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 01-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post
I donated to a library
This is what I do. I kept my favs though.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We keep all of our books and we have a lot of them. Pretty much every room in our house have books in them, lol ...
Old 01-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

we have so many books that we don't have room for them!! We are going to buy more bookcases with our taxes so we have somewhere to put them.....some of them my DH has had since he was a teenager....I will buy hard back bookd still because sometimes I just want to read a real book LOL...I gave away my Twilight series and am thinking of going back and buying them again!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I just get rid of them as I go. Give them to someone, the library, etc. I don't read the same book twice.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I went through my bookshelves after getting a kindle.
I got rid of everything that wasn't sentimental, or something I hadn't read and was certain I would, or something that I simply couldn't part with. Everything else went in a box. My mom went through the box and took out any books she wanted, as did my grandmother, and mom's best friend. After that, I put an ad on freecycle, and someone came and picked them all up the next day.

I saved a few books, of course (by a few, I mean ONLY two bookshelves full... lol). I saved my 3 copies of Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis (I have 3 copies because I like fighting with that book. The first time I read it was in college, for a paper, and I wrote my arguments with the author, my personal convictions from the text, and my thoughts in the margins, as a pre-writing exercise for my paper... I later did this a few more times, and the margins were full, so when someone gifted me a copy, rather than exchanging it for something else, I decided to keep it and wrestle with it, too... I'm now on my THIRD copy, and I still find something new every time. I can't bear to part with my old copies, because those notes and struggles are a part of me now, and show my journey as I've grown older). I also saved books of rhymes and fingerplays that my mom got ages ago, when she first started daycare. I've saved them all of these years to teach Zach. I also have a few parenting books that were hers that I've now inherited, and several books I have yet to read, but really still want to. I saved my Bible, my mother's old Bible, my childhood Bible... My favorite childhood books, my concordance, my Biblezines, my other religious texts I've argued with, all of my poetry by Rumi, a book of Slam poetry I've had since I was a young teen, and any novels I've read more than two or three times. Oh, and my beaten-up copy of Romeo and Juliet.

Everything else... gone. Which, essentially, means that while I threw a whole shelf and a half of books out the door, I still have a LOT of books... I'm a junkie. I need to sift through again and see if any of my unread books can go, too... but that's hard for me!

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 01-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm like Darcy, if I buy it, it's from an author that I love. Lately, the only books I've been buying are Kristin Hannah. The rest, I buy for my Kindle.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I give mine to my sister in law. I dont' reread books so there's no need to keep them.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone.
I ended up giving a bunch away, but there are some I just cant part with.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I keep my books and occasionally sell them on ebay or give them to my daughter to read. I wont replace the books I have on my Nook but will probably still buy some books in paper form and not on my Nook.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I put mine on paperback swap and used them to get books for the kids.