Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-13-2017, 12:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Have you been a victim of ID theft?

I've had my credit card and other info "potentially" stolen from so many different places, I can't even keep track anymore -- Target, GameStop, Yahoo, my doctor's office, etc. Someone very "helpfully" filed a tax return on my behalf this year claiming a refund, presumably to be delivered to themselves. Fortunately, the IRS caught it.

I keep wondering if this is the new normal -- just having to get a new credit card every so often because of fraud. And having to constantly monitor your credit report.

Have you had your ID or credit card info stolen?
Old 06-13-2017, 01:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Not ID, yet. But credit cards... too many times to count. Seems like every quarter one of our cards is hacked. The biggest one was that someone bought a $40K car in New York... 1. how did that even get approved? Who can charge a car? and 2. Our credit limit on that card was like $5K.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:53 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I haven't, but hubby had, once, when we were still in UK. Someone used his debit card info somewhere in the Europe. Luckily, the bank refunded the money and changed his card.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:53 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Ps. I think you posted the thread in the wrong forum, Dawn, so I moved it.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Our cards were hacked when we were on vacation in Mexico and didn't realize until we got back since we didn't have internet or phone thankfully the bank reimbursed us but it was quite scary when we landed in the US to have to deal with that.

I don't understand how people can think it's ok to just take from people who work hard for their money. It makes me really sad and angry and I don't want to raise my kids in this world
Old 06-13-2017, 09:32 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I've had several credit cards compromised by fraudulent charges. The one time that really bothers me is when we had just gotten new cards and used them one single time at a restaurant while traveling to the beach. Less than a week later we had a large charge for a rug in Australia. The credit card company figured it was fraud and called us to let us know. I won't go to that restaurant again, which is disappointing because it's a pretty nice restaurant on the beach.

Now my husband had quite a mess on his credit report because he is a Junior and some of his dad's info was combined with his. It's all solved now but it was frustrating for him to go through that.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Like everyone else, I've had credit card info compromised. It seems like every year or two we're affected by one of the mass data breaches where they send lots of people new cards. There have only been one or 2 times when someone actually made a charge on our card, and the credit card companies have caught those and asked us about them before we got a bill. I also had personal details compromised through a former employer. They gave everyone involved free monitoring services for a couple of years, but luckily nothing concerning turned up.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When I was in my early 20s, I filed my taxes and applied for an early payment from a bank, however that worked, don't really remember, but got approved for it. Then the bank sent me a notice that they sent my return to another bank that I owed money to - apparently in 92, when I was 12, someone got a bank loan with my ssn. I had to jump through crazy hoops between the two banks to finally get my tax return.

Lately people get our debit card number a few times. Luckily if it wasn't caught right away, they're good about getting us a new card and our money back. And my credit card called me a couple weeks ago to ask if I was purchasing Canada Air flight tickets lol. I said no, but they didn't think it was me, so they didn't let it go through. They immediately cancelled and sent me a new card, thankfully.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
Ps. I think you posted the thread in the wrong forum, Dawn, so I moved it.
Thank you! It's been one of those days!
Old 06-14-2017, 12:49 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Not me personally, but my Mum has had her credit card details stolen (and charged towards) three times in 5 years. She does a lot of online shopping so suspects that might be the reason why, but sticks to the big stores. I don't know how/why it happens to her though. Thankfully she's been able to get the transactions reversed.

Creative for Grace Lee & Scrapping with Liz
Guesting for LJS Designs in Nov-Dec 2020
Old 06-14-2017, 08:53 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have been very fortunate that this has never happened to me. When I bought our Discovery Cove tickets from SeaWorld my credit card company called me to see if I was making the charge as it was an online charge for a decent amount to the US. After confirming it was me I couldn't stop thanking her for calling to double check and let her know the dates of our travel so any charges from the Orlando/Tampa area were most likely me.

Before I head to Ireland I will call and let them know as well.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've only had mass breaches happen where I've had to get a new debit card/credit card but no one has ever tried to use my card anywhere thankfully.

I will say that I really limit the use of my cards. I don't use my credit cards very often unless I'm purchasing travel tickets (our flight tickets to Georgia this past winter was the first time I used my credit card in over a year). I never use a card in a restaurant or anywhere that the card is out of my sight (too easy for someone to write down the numbers if it leaves my sight). Like most people I have direct deposit for my pay checks but that same day I withdraw cash for groceries and miscellaneous things throughout the week,
only leaving money in my account to cover any bills that are automatically paid and the rest goes into a savings account that is not connected to a debit card. Our grocery store chain is breached all the time and I only ever use cash there. I don't shop on line much at all either.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:04 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My bank card has been compromised a few times...twice this year actually. It's so frustrating. Fortunately, my credit union is totally on top of it so I've never had actual charges placed on my card. This last time it was someone trying to use Uber a couple of times with charges for less than a dollar. My CU stopped them and called immediately. IDK what they look for but I'm thankful for them.

I hate having to redo all of my recurring charges online. Ugh! I always miss something. lol

Old 06-14-2017, 03:46 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have, my husband has and even my son has (after he died). Our income tax return got flagged a couple years back in a routine thing they are doing to try to catch id theft. Ours was not suspected but they are flagging random ones each year (or so we were told). It went through fine after we called to verify the info though. It is the new crime which apparently pays well. And I think as we move more into a digital world it will just keep happening more and more.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 06-14-2017, 08:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Unfortunately yes. I'm pretty sure someone from a previous employer had access to my SSN and set up accounts in my name. It was a huge PITB!
Old 06-15-2017, 07:51 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I haven't but DH was, his credit card was used to purchase some airplane tickets, by fortune the bank noticed it and cancelled the card immediately, then notified him and that he was not being charged for those as they were made in Colombia, where he used to travel a lot, and according to his card transactions he was at the moment here at home, phew it was a great amount!!