Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-05-2020, 06:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default corrup EHD

Well, my EHD that held all of my kits and downloads gave me a corrupt error today! We had planned to purchase a new one to back them all up to. But we didn't get to it before this whole lock down thing. I'm going to go through my SSD orders and download what I can.

I would normally bring it to my FIL to see what he can do (He's my computer person). But he has health issues, so we can't visit him. So it's going to have to wait!

I can't scrap if I don't have anything to scrap with! I'm just thankful I didn't lose my photos or layouts!
Old 04-05-2020, 07:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh no, Dawn! I think that is every scrapper's worst nightmare! I'm so sorry.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh no! I hope you can recover your stuff when you can visit your FIL again. At least your computer didn't give you an error.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh man...I'm sorry Dawn! That is so nerve wracking not knowing and having to wait to see. I hope it can be recovered! Glad you are able to download your purchases from SSD though.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks ladies! While the family is sympathetic, they don't fully understand!
Old 04-05-2020, 08:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I am so sorry this is happening in the midst of the lockdown and not being able to visit with your FIL to see what he can do. I wish there was more that I could do with your ehd. This is every scrappers worst nightmare, but I am so thankful it wasn't your photos!
Old 04-05-2020, 08:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I had a harddrive go bad not long ago, and I was able to recover almost everything.

Take a look at my post about it. There is a program you can purchase, but before you actually pay for it, you can see if all of you stuff is there.

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...ad.php?t=91834

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
Well, my EHD that held all of my kits and downloads gave me a corrupt error today! We had planned to purchase a new one to back them all up to. But we didn't get to it before this whole lock down thing. I'm going to go through my SSD orders and download what I can.

I would normally bring it to my FIL to see what he can do (He's my computer person). But he has health issues, so we can't visit him. So it's going to have to wait!

I can't scrap if I don't have anything to scrap with! I'm just thankful I didn't lose my photos or layouts!

Last edited by nesser1981; 04-05-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh no! I hope you get it fixed and everything retrieved!

I had mine go bad and took it to a computer place. But that was the week all the craziness started here and I haven't called them yet to see what they were able to do. The fact that they haven't called me seems like bad news. But, I don't know if they were shut down or if they are considered "essential."

I think I'm in denial and don't want to know if it's bad news because it has my older boys' younger years pictures on it.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetChar View Post
Oh no! I hope you get it fixed and everything retrieved!

I had mine go bad and took it to a computer place. But that was the week all the craziness started here and I haven't called them yet to see what they were able to do. The fact that they haven't called me seems like bad news. But, I don't know if they were shut down or if they are considered "essential."

I think I'm in denial and don't want to know if it's bad news because it has my older boys' younger years pictures on it.
Oh no! Losing photos is worse than losing kits! You could always try calling to see if they are even open. At least that way you can blame it on them being closed. I pray they are able to recover some of your things, if not all!
Old 04-05-2020, 09:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
I had a harddrive go bad not long ago, and I was able to recover almost everything.

Take a look at my post about it. There is a program you can purchase, but before you actually pay for it, you can see if all of you stuff is there.

https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...ad.php?t=91834
That's great that you were able to recover everything! I'll have to look into that, but I think it's out of the budget!
Old 04-05-2020, 10:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh noooo! I've been there before. Luckily my computer guy in town was able to recover the data. I couldn't see or do a thing with it at home, but he worked his magic and loaded it onto a new EHD for me. Good luck getting it recovered. Could you mail it to your FIL? Might give him something to do during lockdown.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:06 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh no!! I think most of us have been there before! I think that is a scrapbookers biggest nightmare! (I know it was for me)

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 04-06-2020, 09:35 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think that is all of our biggest scrap-nightmare for sure. Have you tried to use a program called recuva ?? It's freeware and maybe it can help you to recover files from the ehd
Old 04-06-2020, 12:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ugh, I know the feeling... I lost my ehd when we moved, and I just learned about it when I was already more than 10,000 miles from home. My daughter's first and everything are there, all kits and photobook digital files, extra wedding photos and my family photos when I was a kid, gone. I'm still hoping to find it somewher (maybe) burried in one of the boxes at home. I hope there's something that can be done with your ehd, a friend of mine used runtime as well and she recovered all her photos and files.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:32 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I hope you can get your stuff back. It happens to everyone at some point, and if you've been digiscrapping for many years it will have happened more than once probably. what determines if you can get your data back is usually whether it is a mechanical reading issue, or truly a disc corruption issue. Even if part of the disc is corrupted usually some of the data can be rescued.
What brand of EHD was it? I've had several brands over the years, but my favorites for longevity and durability have been Seagate. Seagate does offer a recovery program on their website that works well. It isn't cheap, but it isn't outrageous at $99 either. At least that is what I paid for it when one of my EHDs with digital photos on it started acting up badly. I was able to retrieve 99% of my photos from the drive with it, so I consider it well worth the money. I've used it several times since I got it for other recover operations too.
Seagate has a pretty good warranty on their drives I've learned - if it fails within 1 year of your purchase they will retrieve your data and replace it. You have to have registered it with them, and you can't open the drive to try and fix it yourself either before sending it to them. I wish I had taken the time to register my last EHD that failed - lesson learned there!
Sometimes the tech desk at the office stores will help you out and can at least tell you whether they think the data is there and could possibly be retrieved after they look at it with their high end recovery software. It helps if you bought the drive at their store (makes it easier to ask them at the very least), but if they aren't busy they will sometimes help if you ask nicely Staples has helped me out with this.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:38 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

the program I bought is uninspiredly called "Seagate File Recovery Software" and you get it directly from the Seagate website. Looks like there might be some other programs trying to pass themselves off as this when they aren't on the google search I just did. Seagate lets you do a 'free trial' where you can run a scan of the disk with the program to see if can help you recover your files before you actually pay for it.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm sorry. That really stinks. It's an absolutely awful feeling and we've all been there. Hoping you can both get back what you lost.

So thankful we can re-download our SSD files from our order history if things are still in the store!
Old 04-06-2020, 05:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

That's terrible, Dawn!! I'm so sorry. I hope it's not a trend, but my supply EHD is giving me error messages. I am so thankful that I use Backblaze. I'm moving everything off the EHD to make sure I have it on one other drive, just to be extra cautious.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbstaley View Post
I hope you can get your stuff back. It happens to everyone at some point, and if you've been digiscrapping for many years it will have happened more than once probably. what determines if you can get your data back is usually whether it is a mechanical reading issue, or truly a disc corruption issue. Even if part of the disc is corrupted usually some of the data can be rescued.
What brand of EHD was it? I've had several brands over the years, but my favorites for longevity and durability have been Seagate. Seagate does offer a recovery program on their website that works well. It isn't cheap, but it isn't outrageous at $99 either. At least that is what I paid for it when one of my EHDs with digital photos on it started acting up badly. I was able to retrieve 99% of my photos from the drive with it, so I consider it well worth the money. I've used it several times since I got it for other recover operations too.
Seagate has a pretty good warranty on their drives I've learned - if it fails within 1 year of your purchase they will retrieve your data and replace it. You have to have registered it with them, and you can't open the drive to try and fix it yourself either before sending it to them. I wish I had taken the time to register my last EHD that failed - lesson learned there!
Sometimes the tech desk at the office stores will help you out and can at least tell you whether they think the data is there and could possibly be retrieved after they look at it with their high end recovery software. It helps if you bought the drive at their store (makes it easier to ask them at the very least), but if they aren't busy they will sometimes help if you ask nicely Staples has helped me out with this.
Sounds interesting! The 2 I had were both WD, and we bought another WD to replace this one!

Today my husband had to go pick something up from my FIL (he lives about 45 minutes away), so he loaded up 3 of the girls (yay!) and I made sure they brought the EHD with them.

They gave it to him, so now it's in his hands. If he can recover things, wonderful! If not, that's ok too. I've already been downloading kits and making notes of ones to download a little later (out of season or just not needed at this moment).

My lesson learned from this: scrap with kits as soon as I download them. I am constantly getting something, and even though I have a photo in mind...I hold off on sscrapping it. I don't know why. I don't know if I just want my page to be "perfect" or what. So, going forward (after I download as much as I can), I am going to just scrap with what I have...at least once! Because what's the point of owning the kit if I don't scrap with it!
Old 04-09-2020, 04:19 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Dawn, this might seem silly but what I also do is burn all my scrap-goodies to dvds. Just to have that extra backup option so if my ehd crashes and the cloud backup wasn't properly done, I at least have everything on dvds.