Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Advice needed RE: colicky babies

My cousin has a new baby who is 6 weeks old and very colicky. She says he wants to be held all the time but HATES being in a sling. What suggestions do you guys have for helping with a colicky baby? Not just limited to baby wearing...
Old 08-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Chiropractor what they do for babies is very different than for adults etc worked wonders for Lucas as a baby

Has your friend tried different slings? Moby wrap was my favourite for Lucas as an infant
Old 08-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am kind of a believer in the 5 S's from the Happiest Baby on the Block - actually, that whole book is pretty awesome. But here's a link:

http://www.happiestbaby.com/5-ss-sys...olic-symptoms/

My first son was slightly colicky, not extreme by any means but he responded REALLY well to a really tight swaddle, a pacifier, white noise (a fan), and in his swing on almost the highest setting (yes, it looked like he might rocket out of it but it really did work!!). We actually swaddled him for like...7 months! When he got bigger I had to double swaddle and make kind of a straightjacket for his arms, it was the ONLY way he'd settle.

I mean, of course I held him too, he napped on me A LOT, but since I had to teach him how to sleep other ways (I had to return to work when he was 12 weeks old and I didn't figure daycare would be able to just lay there with him sleeping on her all the time ). I actually think we didn't swaddle until he was a teeny bit older - like we didn't do it from day 1, we started when he "woke up" which was probably like 3-4 weeks old.

This was a pretty typical sight around our house in those days! When my second was born, I was amazed that it was possible for babies to just...sleep! Without needing to be rocked, swung, sucking on a pacifier, swaddled, bounced, etc etc.

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 08-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

oohhh yes i agree with sara too!
we did swaddling forever and also he had a swing but did not like it to go back and forth only side to side.. and it had to be in front of a window.. lol

i also played or sang one song on repeat for months (kookabura haha)
Old 08-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Grace had colic... and honestly, I tried everything. Some things helped.... I was breastfeeding and went off of dairy which helped her tummy. We also tried meds for reflux. That didn't help so much (or at least I didn't notice any huge change). Infant massage class helped. Lots of time being held. A nice warm bath always calmed her, so I gave her one 3 times a day on the worst days. She liked the swing... being upright in it and the swaying motion made her calm... she took naps there on her very fussy days. She was swaddled at night.

My best advice for her is to hang in there and don't get angry at the baby, it is really hard to stay calm when you have a baby that cries for 3 hours straight. Grace seemed to just magically grow out of it at 3 months.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've mostly heard colick stories like Brooke's, so my best advice would be to not do it alone. Have a friend come over for an hour during the day where she can hold the baby and your cousin can get a break. And I know not all dads are very active with babies, but maybe they can alternate 2 nights at a time so that she can be rested some of the time. I know that if must take a lot if patience, and mine runs low when I'm tired. If it is really colick it'll just need to run its course.

If it's her first and she is clueless like I was, I always recommend The Baby Whisperer, which I think is similar to the Happiest Baby on the Block. I had trouble with my oldest because I knew nothing about teaching babies to sleep. The Baby Whisperer teaches you to gently teach your baby how to sleep.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I agree with the book suggestions. We did Happiest Baby on the Block (the 3 s's) with my son and it worked wonders. However, colicky babies don't always respond to it. We found for Grace we just had to love her, hold her, and make her comfortable in any way we could. She didn't take a pacifier and hated being shushed but liked the swaddle. Although we had to use the stretchy velcro swaddle blankets for her because she was a MacGyver!!!

I also forgot my mommy support group. It met at my church and was held by a certified nurse & lactation consultant who just encouraged me weekly and hugged me. It was hard! I agree to keep other people involved and reach out for help. Being alone with it day after day will make you feel hopeless. But it takes a special kind of friend or relative to hold your screaming baby and not take it 'personally'.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:30 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I don't have any advice other than what the other girls have already said. But, I'll just say that I LOVE my Miracle Blankets for swaddling. They absolutely saved my life with Ian. They are one of my standard baby gifts now, and I have two of my blankets on loan to friends right now. You can buy them through the company at http://www.miracleblanket.com or on Amazon.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

YES! The miracle blanket! I never had one but I basically did that same kind of swaddle with 2 blankets.

And I agree with the others too, that just keeping that light at the end of the tunnel, usually by 3ish months it gets better but when you're IN it, it feels like time is not passing at all and just having people reassure you that you're doing great, help out with holding the baby, all that stuff helps immensely!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 08-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

My son had reflux so he never wanted to be put down flat. He loved his swing. Ultimately the best help was time... Luckily, he outgrew it at about 4 months. Gripe water worked well, too.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh, and as an alternate to the sling (which mine didn't like, either) is to get a baby wrap that will hold them completely upright. I use my baby bjorn all the time... but they have even better ones now.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

I hate to be a downer, but NOTHING helped with Emma. NOTHING. she turned about 4 months and was almost magically ok.

slings didn't work, the swing sometimes helped, she HATED the swaddle blanket, sometimes when Darik would hold her in the football hold, that helped...

this too shall pass is my best advice.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

We tried all kinds of things for my son too. Soy formula, probiotics, acid reflux medicine, nothing worked. We finally tried Nutramigen formula and that is what worked for us. At the time, we were told it was for babies that failed to thrive, not colic, but I see now it says for colic right on it.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmaG View Post
My son had reflux so he never wanted to be put down flat. He loved his swing. Ultimately the best help was time... Luckily, he outgrew it at about 4 months. Gripe water worked well, too.
The swing was the only thing that worked for our refluxy baby too. Especially If they are first-time parents, it can be an excruciating time. Our son got much better after the first 3 months.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

With my youngest son we had to use Alimentum... that stuff it stupid expensive. But I got all of our formula on ebay.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.. I sent them to my cousin so hopefully she and her baby will get some relief soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
We tried all kinds of things for my son too. Soy formula, probiotics, acid reflux medicine, nothing worked. We finally tried Nutramigen formula and that is what worked for us. At the time, we were told it was for babies that failed to thrive, not colic, but I see now it says for colic right on it.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:22 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

Yeah, I would like to suggest you one blog i.e Parenthoodbliss, you can find the best parenting, pregnancy, baby products tips.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am never one to jump right to meds but for colic the doc can give a great tummy med. Its not just the crying or the being held, but the fact that they are in pain and the meds relieve that.

Second shot, if that didnt work would be a different form of "milk" because it can be allergies, like needing soy, or goat, etc
Old 09-07-2021, 01:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Super old thread that was brought up by someone who is probably spam by the looks of his/her posts count.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

None of my girls were "collicky" but to keep that from happening, we held them facing away from us putting pressure on their tummy (to get rid of tummy bubbles). We would also do bicycle movements. I would lay them flat on their back on a blanket. I could move their legs like they were riding a bike. Pulling their knees up to their bellies at times. Sometimes they would just "toot" on command keeping them from getting the tummy bubbles. None of mine liked to be swaddled except when very little and at bedtime. I think it helped to have their legs free to kick and move!
Old 09-07-2021, 10:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Bianca was really colicky and it was the milk, or the bottle... I really have no clue what it was doctor told us to first change the milk then if it didn't stop to change the bottle (or the other way around)... I couldn't handle it anymore so we did all the changes at the same time and it was LIKE MAGIC. Oh we also swaddled her.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberK View Post
My cousin has a new baby who is 6 weeks old and very colicky. She says he wants to be held all the time but HATES being in a sling. What suggestions do you guys have for helping with a colicky baby? Not just limited to baby wearing...
What did her pediatricians say? When I called for Bianca I was sobbing and a mess and they told me that they wish moms would call sooner.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Was going to answer, then I saw the original question was from 2013. I'm going to assume everyone is sleeping well and no one needs to be held all the time anymore, LOL!
Old 09-08-2021, 07:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Was going to answer, then I saw the original question was from 2013. I'm going to assume everyone is sleeping well and no one needs to be held all the time anymore, LOL!
LOL!!!!! I really hope so.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Maybe older threads need to be locked or something so the spam people can't comment on them. They need to pick the more recent threads so they don't throw us off! I never look at the dates, just what is new! Stupid spam people! Oh well, maybe someone needed to see this thread who is dealing with a collicky baby!