Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2014, 10:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default How Would You Scrap Something Horrible

I scrap bad moods and bad moments all the time and they make sense to me to capture as life is up and down. Those just don't compare to the horrific accident we saw yesterday on our drive from Michigan to my mom's in NY.

It was the worst thing we had ever seen. Horrible fire and multiple cars mangled. Traffic backed up for 4-5 hours Westbound on I-90 where the accident occurred. We were traveling Eastbound on I-90 - the same as the vehicle that jumped the guardrail and median at full speed and crossed into the Westbound lanes which triggered the accident.

We arrived near the scene very shortly after it happened before all but one the first responder teams arrived. It was such a horrifying scene watching first responder team after first responder team arrive knowing that some people had no way to survive.

Many details have not been released yet, but you can read about the story here: http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...l#incart_mpt-2

We were both pretty shaken up after seeing it and we were so saddened to see the fatalities - we had hoped a miracle would happen.

How would you scrap something like this to capture your feelings, but still be respectful to those who lost their lives?

Last edited by catgoddess; 07-01-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:45 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

a good 'ol art journal page and I probably would do it photoless... I'm sorry that you had to witness that and I feel for the victims. A few years back, hubby and I had a scary event happen where a car sped by us and hit the rail and flipped just feet from our car as we were driving by... we stopped to call 911, and since it was a busy road, they told us to leave, so we hope the driver was okay... I did a layout for it - but now I can't find it - it was really old, probably got deleted when Christy Lyle left, I remember it using a kit of hers...
Old 07-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wouldn't scrap it either unless we were involved in the crash.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:49 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Maybe instead of scrapping about the crash specifically just scrap about your feelings - the fear and sadness and how it made you realize how short life can be and the steps you're taking to really cherish what you have in life. That way you're keeping it totally personal and it's respectful of the people who were involved.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:51 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yeah...I don't think I would scrap it solely for the purpose of scrapping that incident. If I were a PL scrapper I might include it in my recount of the travel events....IDK...

Old 07-01-2014, 12:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

oh my gosh...those photos....so heartbreaking for all of those involved.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I wouldn't scrap it. Unless someone I knew was involved. It's something I'd assume forget.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:39 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I would approach it from a journalling aspect, if you are that compelled to document it and it affected you in some way or if you need the reminder of how short life is etc. I wouldn't have a problem including a photo or an article. A picture is worth a thousand words and all that. I wouldn't put photos of bodies or people though, but the cars, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Several years ago my husband and I were coming home from a concert and the traffic was backed up. When we got to what caused the accident it was a fatal motorcycle crash. The body was still on the ground, helmet, bike and one boot scattered on the road. We didn't see his face just part of his legs. It really affected us for a very long time, to be there that early on the scene and also the slow crawl of the traffic made you sit there for a while. There were a group of younger bikers sitting on the guard rail, all their bikes parked on the side, people hugging and crying.

I was so upset by this I asked my friends at the police department to find out what happened. It turned out the boy who died was named Steve. He was speeding and clipped a car while changing lanes. The girl driving the car was also young. Him and his friends were riding their bikes recklessly. For a few years after the accident they would come to the place where he died and kept up a street memorial. A sign, a cross, a few flowers and gifts etc. I drove past that place ever day coming home from work. I would see them come visit for a while but time moves on eventually and they stopped keeping it up. It's gone now, replaced down the road with another persons sad memorial.

After all these years I still remember it vividly. I didn't scrap it but I know how being there at the moment of someones death or soon after, even a stranger, can be profound.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren grier View Post
Maybe instead of scrapping about the crash specifically just scrap about your feelings - the fear and sadness and how it made you realize how short life can be and the steps you're taking to really cherish what you have in life. That way you're keeping it totally personal and it's respectful of the people who were involved.
I think I would do it this way. It's not so much the 'event' I need to scrap, but my personal feelings and what it opened up for me. That's what I do in an art journal page.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastampink View Post
I know how being there at the moment of someones death or soon after, even a stranger, can be profound.
This is it exactly and what I was hoping to capture.

I definitely want to document our feelings about it, but not to the point of remembering details about the specific event. Art journaling is the way I'll proceed.

Thanks, ladies!