Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2019, 03:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Selling a House

So my husband came down on orders and with those orders comes with selling our current home. We have an appointment with our realtor on Thursday so she can tell us what we need to do to the house before we can list as well as run some numbers as far as sales, etc.

I'm SO nervous! I love our home. While it isn't our "forever" home like my husband and I intended when we agreed to purchase a home at this duty station, we all love our home and will miss it when we turn over the keys.

I don't know what our realtor is going to tell us to do to the house. Thank goodness, we just did the floors while my husband was gone last year! I'm hoping all suggestions/things we can do ourselves and it isn't too costly. Just last night my husband and I spent three hours changing out our old white microwave for an upgraded stainless steel microwave--what we didn't know was the builder put a few hundred holes in the wall behind the microwave looking for studs!

Has anyone sold a home and can give me some pointers, like what to do/go when the house has showings? What you were told needs to be done in order to list/sell. I'm interested in pointers, tips, etc.

I'm not worried about selling the house. The market is here is really hot. My realtor's clients are already under contract before the house officially lists on the market---it's really hot! Two people who knew my husband came under orders, contacted me asking to see my house! I gave them our realtor's information because while they are military, I don't quite know them to let strangers in my house! So I know once we've decide when to sell and our realtor does all of her paperwork, the house will be under contract within the first week. We won't be going months paying a mortgage without living in it. I'm not concerned about that. I'm more concerned about getting the house ready, getting maximized return on the house and what to do during showings as I've never gone through this process before. Any input from someone who's been there before?

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 01-20-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Congratulations, Wendy!! I really hope you like the new duty station!!

Keeping clutter at a minimum is always good. I know you're good at that.
Some realtors want you to put away anything personal (family photos, collections, etc) because it gives buyers a blank canvas to imagine their stuff in the house.

And, lastly... if you have dolls like that, and are getting rid of them, I want them for my Halloween decorations. LOL!!!!
Old 01-20-2019, 03:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Congratulations, Wendy!! I really hope you like the new duty station!!

Keeping clutter at a minimum is always good. I know you're good at that.
Some realtors want you to put away anything personal (family photos, collections, etc) because it gives buyers a blank canvas to imagine their stuff in the house.

And, lastly... if you have dolls like that, and are getting rid of them, I want them for my Halloween decorations. LOL!!!!
I hope we like our new duty station. I'm excited, but sad at the same time. I know when we get there, get settled, I'll be shipping my oldest back to Colorado (upstate) for college. I wish we could stay, to be near her. You know the emotions of sending a child away, much less the worry that goes in to that one going away! I don't want that phone call.

My main floor only has two things hanging on the wall--both of my daughter's artwork. If she says to take them down, I will. But I think they help transition the original brown paint to the blue/gray paint. The kids rooms, they are chaos and clutter. I plan on buying totes and downsizing their clutter to make it more spacious and open.

Dolls---the only dolls we have are American Girl dolls, and they are currently in a storage chest since the kids haven't played with them in years. Ideally I'd like to sell the whole lot of American Girl dolls, clothes, accessories, etc but time doesn't allow and people here flake when it comes to picking up stuff they claim. Maybe in KY it will be different. There's always Ebay
Old 01-20-2019, 03:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We made sure to not live at our house when we decided to sell because with two young kids and a dog it would have been harder for showing. So we had the bare minimum furniture still in it to show and I think that's what people prefer to see. Rather than closets full of stuff and a whole bunch of furniture.

So I would suggest decluttering a maximum and keeping only the necessary furniture.

My husband also spent a bunch of time patching holes in walls and making sure the house looks clean.

Good luck! Leaving our first home was so hard but I'm glad we made the jump!
Old 01-20-2019, 03:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
We made sure to not live at our house when we decided to sell because with two young kids and a dog it would have been harder for showing. So we had the bare minimum furniture still in it to show and I think that's what people prefer to see. Rather than closets full of stuff and a whole bunch of furniture.

So I would suggest decluttering a maximum and keeping only the necessary furniture.

My husband also spent a bunch of time patching holes in walls and making sure the house looks clean.

Good luck! Leaving our first home was so hard but I'm glad we made the jump!
I wish we could live elsewhere when the house was being listed, but here it's so expensive, we'd only be able to live in our cars

Hey if patching holes is all we have to do, that'd be amazing! I know I have to do some touch-up paint. But I'm not quite sure what else needs to be done.

Yeah, leaving this place will be rough. We'll be moving on post (I'm tired of investing in a house. It's where all of our savings went and currently it's rough). With living on post, we'll go from 3000+ sq ft to maybe, if we are lucky a 2000 sq ft house. But more likely it will be a 1300 sq ft house, so half the size of our current home!

Plus I'm leaving behind my AMAZING large-family eco efficient washer/dryer that I love! When we bought it, I didn't take in to consideration that military houses have SMALL laundry rooms and it won't fit our washer/dryer combo that we got. Guess I'm going back to do doing a load of laundry a day, instead of one load a week.

**putting "patch holes" on my to-do list**
Old 01-20-2019, 03:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I used to host open houses for a local realtor... things I know were told to owners...

Declutter is huge... pack away knick knacks... have lots of flat service areas. Hide all valuables.
Remove photographs.
Empty as much as you can out of closets (make it look like you have way too much storage than a person can use, haha)
Have only essential furniture out (if you can)... pack away extra chairs, end tables, etc so that the room looks larger...
remove rugs etc from bathrooms...
clean everything and everywhere - corner of window sills, under counters, baseboards, etc. Make sure the toilet is flushed (you would be amazed how many people didn't do this before open houses! ew).
White sells... fresh paint goes a long way... neutralize bedding, pattern sofas, etc.
Burn candles or oils so it smells clean...
Turn on fireplaces, if you have one to make it cozy feeling.
Change out lightbulbs for highest wattage that your lamps/fixtures can take... make it look super bright, remove heavy drapes.

Good luck!!
Old 01-20-2019, 03:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh wendy! I'm so bummed for you! But i hope you love the new duty post.

We've bought and sold several times. a few of my experiences:

Your realtor will tell you all the things wrong with your current home. I think it's to ensure you're not too emotionally attached and unable to see the potential flaws in a prospective buyer's mind. be ready for that!

Take out all the personal items. Photos, etc. No one wants to see personal details of the current family in a home because it makes it harder to see their own family in that space.

Definitely de-clutter and remove everything but essential, minimal furniture. You should try to put as much stuff as possible into storage. Remove any curtains if you have them, you want as much light in the home as possible.

lastly - if you have a showing - I've heard of people baking cookies before hand so the home smells like baked goods and having freshly made cookies on the counter probably wouldn't hurt!

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 01-20-2019, 03:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rbeckie View Post
oh wendy! I'm so bummed for you! But i hope you love the new duty post.

We've bought and sold several times. a few of my experiences:

Your realtor will tell you all the things wrong with your current home. I think it's to ensure you're not too emotionally attached and unable to see the potential flaws in a prospective buyer's mind. be ready for that!

Take out all the personal items. Photos, etc. No one wants to see personal details of the current family in a home because it makes it harder to see their own family in that space.

Definitely de-clutter and remove everything but essential, minimal furniture. You should try to put as much stuff as possible into storage. Remove any curtains if you have them, you want as much light in the home as possible.

lastly - if you have a showing - I've heard of people baking cookies before hand so the home smells like baked goods and having freshly made cookies on the counter probably wouldn't hurt!

Ugh, baking......we hardly have baked here in CO because it dries out so quickly (the air is dry) and it's so hard to get the consistency of lower altitude baking. My daughter (the middle) wants to learn how to make macaroons, and I told her to wait until we are out of this high altitude area to learn how to bake anything. The girls just baked brownies last night and this morning, they were hard as rocks. I do long for good baked products...a plus with moving to our new duty station!
Old 01-20-2019, 03:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I used to host open houses for a local realtor... things I know were told to owners...

Declutter is huge... pack away knick knacks... have lots of flat service areas. Hide all valuables.
Remove photographs.
Empty as much as you can out of closets (make it look like you have way too much storage than a person can use, haha)
Have only essential furniture out (if you can)... pack away extra chairs, end tables, etc so that the room looks larger...
remove rugs etc from bathrooms...
clean everything and everywhere - corner of window sills, under counters, baseboards, etc. Make sure the toilet is flushed (you would be amazed how many people didn't do this before open houses! ew).
White sells... fresh paint goes a long way... neutralize bedding, pattern sofas, etc.
Burn candles or oils so it smells clean...
Turn on fireplaces, if you have one to make it cozy feeling.
Change out lightbulbs for highest wattage that your lamps/fixtures can take... make it look super bright, remove heavy drapes.

Good luck!!
What does "flat service areas" mean? Walking space? Or counter tops?

Good idea with the closets---we weren't allowed to look in the closets when we went home buying. I didn't think people could look in them, so I'll keep that in mind as we have all of our yard sale stuff in several of the closets for when we have our yard sale in May.

We don't have any rugs in the house -- well the kitchen sink/dishwasher area for the tile, but I know to pull that up already.

We don't have much furniture--that's the joy of being a military family and always moving!

I like your ideas.

I hope to pay for someone to clean the windows/sills for us but the stinky thing is we'll be listing during Hail Season and that's when the windows get the worst between the hail beating against the windows and the dust blowing in the window and sills
Old 01-20-2019, 04:05 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

for sure declutter if needed! take a look at the other real estate listings in your area and see what would turn you off in buying a home and if you see anything similar and able to be changed in your home do that Cleanliness, nothing too overpowering scent wise for showings too
Old 01-20-2019, 07:27 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have never sold a house, but I can tell you some things that stood out when I was looking for mine. One house we looked at had scentsy melting and my son could not stop talking for a long time about how that house stunk. lol The house I did end up buying, was dirty, spiderwebs, boxes piled every where, a hole in the carpet and the biggest one, half of the lightbulbs were out. I bought it, but it had been on the market for over 220 days when most places were selling in a matter of weeks. Good luck with your sale and your new duty station!
Old 01-20-2019, 07:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
What does "flat service areas" mean? Walking space? Or counter tops?
counter tops, tables, etc... should have been surface area... darn autocorrect. haha
Old 01-20-2019, 08:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm glad you feel thankful about all the work you put into replacing the floors, because my first thought was, "Oh no! They JUST replaced those floors!" I suppose if you're thinking about making your house more maketable, new floors are a plus, but I would be a little sad I did all that work for someone else to enjoy, lol.

I've never owned or sold a house, so I am totally useless in this conversation. But big hugs from me about sending your oldest away for college.

Where are you moving to?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I once read somewhere that having your house smell like freshly baked chocolate chip cookies is a sure fire way to get a sale! Hahaha...

But really staging for a general audience (de-cluttering, neutral decor like curtains, taking down the personal effects etc) is the one thing I remember talking with our realtor about when we bought our first house long ago.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Haha, okay I read back and saw someone else mentioned the cookies too! (Guess I should read the directions before doing the homework right?!) It's been said more than once so it must be true right?!
Old 01-20-2019, 10:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
counter tops, tables, etc... should have been surface area... darn autocorrect. haha
Oh good.....I have counters, for the most part only the air fryer is on there. I like counterspace!

I have a table....but I don't have any other surfaces on the main floor. You think that's good? They will all be cleaned off--should I get a center piece for the table? Flowers from Sams Club?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I'm glad you feel thankful about all the work you put into replacing the floors, because my first thought was, "Oh no! They JUST replaced those floors!" I suppose if you're thinking about making your house more maketable, new floors are a plus, but I would be a little sad I did all that work for someone else to enjoy, lol.

I've never owned or sold a house, so I am totally useless in this conversation. But big hugs from me about sending your oldest away for college.

Where are you moving to?
We knew eventually my husband would come down on orders. We figured maybe he'd go overseas again for another year and we'd stay here, moving next year. But the Army had different ideas and are sending us elsewhere.

It's the military, so nothing is ever set in stone until household goods are picked up! But if all works out like the say, we'll be going to Fort Campbell, Kentucky.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I wish we could live elsewhere when the house was being listed, but here it's so expensive, we'd only be able to live in our cars

Hey if patching holes is all we have to do, that'd be amazing! I know I have to do some touch-up paint. But I'm not quite sure what else needs to be done.

Yeah, leaving this place will be rough. We'll be moving on post (I'm tired of investing in a house. It's where all of our savings went and currently it's rough). With living on post, we'll go from 3000+ sq ft to maybe, if we are lucky a 2000 sq ft house. But more likely it will be a 1300 sq ft house, so half the size of our current home!

Plus I'm leaving behind my AMAZING large-family eco efficient washer/dryer that I love! When we bought it, I didn't take in to consideration that military houses have SMALL laundry rooms and it won't fit our washer/dryer combo that we got. Guess I'm going back to do doing a load of laundry a day, instead of one load a week.

**putting "patch holes" on my to-do list**
oh I hear you with the brand new appliances! WE had been in our house for 7 years and had just finished getting all the newest appliances (finishing with a fridge). Having to go back to rental crappy white appliances has been so tough! When you get used to luxury it's hard to go back. There's not even a gentle cycle on my washing machine! And low heat in the dryer is just plain hot.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our realtor also suggested we use warm color bulbs - 2000 to 3000K. As everyone else said, declutter. We got a storage pod for everything that was non-essential. Even our storage stuff like Christmas tree went in the pod before we listed the house. We were told to hit the walls/trim with a magic eraser, and of course clean. We did not repaint and our house desperately needed it. But our market was hot, too, and our house sold in a day.

I know someone at Fort Campbell, KY! I'm sorry you're losing your washer. I love mine, too. Hopefully everyone will transition well. Good luck! Moving is so much work.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
Our realtor also suggested we use warm color bulbs - 2000 to 3000K. As everyone else said, declutter. We got a storage pod for everything that was non-essential. Even our storage stuff like Christmas tree went in the pod before we listed the house. We were told to hit the walls/trim with a magic eraser, and of course clean. We did not repaint and our house desperately needed it. But our market was hot, too, and our house sold in a day.

I know someone at Fort Campbell, KY! I'm sorry you're losing your washer. I love mine, too. Hopefully everyone will transition well. Good luck! Moving is so much work.
Maybe your friend can give me tips and pointers at Campbell! I’ve benngiven two church suggestions. I’ve been told where to shop, on th TN side, But know nothing about it!
Old 01-22-2019, 12:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ok just looked it up. She’s at Fort Knox. I’m sorry!
Old 01-25-2019, 06:30 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Welcome (in advance) to Kentucky. I love in the northern part of Kentucky next to Ohio.

My daughter sold her house a couple of years ago and to repeat some other suggestions:

1. Clean
2. Declutter which will make small closets look big
3. Remove as much from kids rooms since they are the rooms that may appear small if you have to much in them (especially the toys)
4. If living in the house make sure all "personal clothing items" is put away. Remember that some people will open doors/vanities/kitchen cabinets so you want them to be clean/neat and void of personal items.
5. Make sure to put any valuables/guns etc locked up.

When my daughter was selling she had 2 small children and would go to the mall and walk around. Unfortunately they would call and maybe give her an hour so it is crucial to keep the house "clean" at all times .

Best of luck with the sell and move.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:34 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Good luck! Selling my home was STRESSFUL. Power washing the sides and driveway can help just give it that nice look. We had to clean mold/mildew from some awnings. I can't remember really what else but my home was a very low-cost home anyways and we were losing money on it any way you looked at it so we did the BARE minimum
Old 01-25-2019, 07:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjrneace View Post
Welcome (in advance) to Kentucky. I love in the northern part of Kentucky next to Ohio.

My daughter sold her house a couple of years ago and to repeat some other suggestions:

1. Clean
2. Declutter which will make small closets look big
3. Remove as much from kids rooms since they are the rooms that may appear small if you have to much in them (especially the toys)
4. If living in the house make sure all "personal clothing items" is put away. Remember that some people will open doors/vanities/kitchen cabinets so you want them to be clean/neat and void of personal items.
5. Make sure to put any valuables/guns etc locked up.

When my daughter was selling she had 2 small children and would go to the mall and walk around. Unfortunately they would call and maybe give her an hour so it is crucial to keep the house "clean" at all times .

Best of luck with the sell and move.
Thank you! I'm just excited to be at a duty station that has a Zaxby's. That was the first thing I googled when my husband came down on his orders "How far is Zaxby's from Fort Campbell" and luckily for me, it's right outside of post!!! Oh how I've missed that place! The BEST chicken. I think it's even better (and cheaper) than Chick-fil-a!!

My kids are 17, 14 and 5. All three of their rooms don't have a lot of toys. My 14 year old though is a major hoarder and we have been working on her room.

Earlier this week, that kid spilled a whole bottle of India Ink all over her white carpet. I spent HOURS scrubbing the carpet. I think we got the stains out. But we are still waiting on it to dry completely to see if any stains surface.

I keep reminding these kids that we have to have a clean house. They will be the death of me, as far as having the house ready for the people coming through!
Old 01-25-2019, 07:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegCreations View Post
Good luck! Selling my home was STRESSFUL. Power washing the sides and driveway can help just give it that nice look. We had to clean mold/mildew from some awnings. I can't remember really what else but my home was a very low-cost home anyways and we were losing money on it any way you looked at it so we did the BARE minimum
I don't blame you for doing the bare minimum. Goodness, I never thought to look at the exterior of the house!

Our realtor was supposed to come over yesterday (Thursday), but she called me at 7am to tell me she had the stomach bug. Bless her heart, she was willing to suffer through and come over to my house. I told her to come over another day when she and her family weren't sick--I don't want those germs in my house!

So we are still clueless as to what needs to be done to the house. I wait anxiously. But first my husband needs his official orders so we know our timeline more clearly! Don't want to sell too early and be living in a hotel. Don't want to sell too late and not have enough time to visit with family before he reports to his new duty station.