Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-15-2019, 10:25 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Currently Reading...

I've read 6 books so far this year and am half way through my 7th.

Cinder : 3 stars
Wrinkle in Time : 1 star [I know, I know]
Sons of Blackbird Mountain : 3.5 - 4 stars
Red Queen : 1 star [this book bored me to tears]
Strange the Dreamer : 5 stars [loooooved! although the ending fell a bit flat for me]
The Hollow of Fear : 5 stars [I adore this series!]

My current read is Children of Blood and Bone. I'm about half way through and am really enjoying it, although, honestly, I'm growing weary of parts. I'm afraid that if the story/character arcs continue along their current projection, it's going to wind up being about 150 pages too long for me.

I'm not sure what I'll read next.... maybe The Phantom Tree by Nicola Cornick

So how about you?? What are you currently reading?
Have you read anything recently that truly delighted you?
What are you reading next?

Last edited by lingovise; 01-15-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:30 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

So far in 2019, I've read:
The Year of Less by Cait Flanders (for book club, sparked some good discussion--and even people who didn't finish were able to contribute to discussion)
The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill (took me a while to get into, but it was a nice story with likable characters.)

Currently reading:
Becoming by Michelle Obama (on audio book... I think I would listen to a thousand audiobooks if MO read them!!)
The Wife by Alafair Burke (so far, not loving, but I think I'm just getting to the page-turning part. Which reminds me...need to go charge my kindle!)

Next up:
Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty
Educated by Tara Westover
Old 01-16-2019, 10:14 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have been reading too! And I love it! I set a goal of 12 books in 2019 because I felt like I wasn't reading enough in 2018 and 12 seemed attainable. I think I may need to bump it up because I just finished Book #5. I am tracking in Good Reads.

When rain cancels soccer you head to the library. I have always loved hunting for books at the library and walking the aisles of book stores. I mostly read eBooks and I miss actual books. Every time we go to the library we always say that we need to visit more often! We enjoyed reading in the reading room and continued when we got home. Katelyn and I competed to see if we could finish our books tonight- and we both did!!

what you would expect- quick read

5 stars- good one!

Just NO! well written but disturbing content

ok

Last edited by kristalund; 01-16-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:42 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am allowing myself the Year of the Great Re-read! So I have indulged myself so far my re-reading C. S. Lewis's Space Trilogy, Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength. Last night I finished Jane Eyre for probably the 5th time. Not sure where I'm going next. Maybe Middle-earth. That is a super-fun indulgence for me!

Old 01-16-2019, 03:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

You ladies are on a roll. I downloaded a few books on kindle and haven't touched them yet. I just can't seem to get back into my love for reading. Any tips?

Old 01-16-2019, 05:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is what I've read so far this year...

A Constellation Of Vital Phenomena has been my favorite so far. The rest have been aiight. ( I love Saga but it's just a volume in a series so....)

I'm just starting , I'm not far enough in to make a judgement.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:14 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I homeschool my kids, so we read a lot of history stories. We just got done reading Judy (it's about a POW dog in WW2 - based on true events). We all loved the book. Parts of it are sad, because war, but the ending is happy.

Our current read aloud is Milkweed, which is a good book, but I loved Judy more.

I'm also reading Target Switzerland. It was recommended in another book we are reading about the world wars. It tells how Switzerland stayed neutral even though they were in the center of the fighting.

Ya, I read for information. lol
Old 01-17-2019, 01:37 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingovise View Post
I've read 6 books so far this year and am half way through my 7th.
Cinder : 3 stars

So how about you?? What are you currently reading?
Have you read anything recently that truly delighted you?
What are you reading next?
Wowzers!! I've been going nonstop since Monday. How do you have the time to read that many books? You must be a fast reader!

My oldest LOVED(s) The Lunar Chronicles! She read Cinder and was like "I want them all". Now she reads them over and over again!
Old 01-17-2019, 01:40 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My middle, who has a learning disability and a really bad reading level/comprehension is reading To Kill a Mockingbird. She's struggling to follow with the classwork because she's not grasping what she's reading. This weekend, my oldest and I going to start reading to her and helping her understand the book. It's going to be a challenge, getting her to understand what we are reading (we'll probably retell it to her), but my goal is to get her a passing grade so she gets the credit towards graduation

Old 01-17-2019, 02:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thank you Loni for the post! I never know what to read.

So far I've read:
Get Your SH*T Together (pretty dang funny and helpful)

Orbiting Jupiter (Fast read about an 8th grader who becomes a father)

You Go First (Middle Grade friendships - quick read)
Old 01-18-2019, 12:32 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Something I do with my kids is after they read any assigned reading material: they have to narrate and tell me what they read. If they don't, they get electronics taken away. This helps with reading comprehension and helps them remember the story better. It's like when you have a dream...you remember it 10 times better if you tell someone or write it down.

You can have your daughter do this after each section that you read. This way you can see what she gets out of it and see what she understands. If reading bigger portions makes the comprehension harder, then have her read one paragraph and narrate, then one page, then more pages. Build up on it. Show her how to narrate if she doesn't understand.

Cliff Notes on the book will probably help you help her.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
My middle, who has a learning disability and a really bad reading level/comprehension is reading To Kill a Mockingbird. She's struggling to follow with the classwork because she's not grasping what she's reading. This weekend, my oldest and I going to start reading to her and helping her understand the book. It's going to be a challenge, getting her to understand what we are reading (we'll probably retell it to her), but my goal is to get her a passing grade so she gets the credit towards graduation

Old 01-18-2019, 09:16 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have a 30 day free trial for Audible and am listening to

I don't think I will purchase a membership once the trial is up. I will try to get Audio books from the library. But I am loving listening on my commute!
Old 01-18-2019, 01:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am currently reading The Assassin Game by Kirsty McKay. I just started it and am only 2 chapters in, so I have no opinion yet, lol

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-assassin-game

I just finished My Girl by Jack Jordan. It was pretty twisted and very graphic.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30121699-my-girl
Old 01-27-2019, 03:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I mostly read paranormal/fantasy type books. I read to take my mind off reality, and these fit the bill. They're often fairly shallow, but they do the job.
I just finished re-reading the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlene Harris. I think it was close to 10 years ago that I originally read it.
I started reading the Anita Blake series from Laurel K. Hamilton. These are a little more gory than I'm used to, so I'm not sure if I'll stick with them.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to lorigaud

I never find enough time to read... need to make that happen this year.

I've currently got a couple of books going... The Minimalist Home by Joshua Becker (and striving to actually makeover my home in the process) and You are a Badass by Jen Sincero.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfnelson2 View Post
Something I do with my kids is after they read any assigned reading material: they have to narrate and tell me what they read. If they don't, they get electronics taken away. This helps with reading comprehension and helps them remember the story better. It's like when you have a dream...you remember it 10 times better if you tell someone or write it down.

You can have your daughter do this after each section that you read. This way you can see what she gets out of it and see what she understands. If reading bigger portions makes the comprehension harder, then have her read one paragraph and narrate, then one page, then more pages. Build up on it. Show her how to narrate if she doesn't understand.

Cliff Notes on the book will probably help you help her.

Good luck!
I would never take her electronics away for something she can't understand. She might be in 9th grade, but her reading comprehension is lower grade elementary. I'm actually quite shocked her school is requiring her to read it, but it's mandatory for graduation.

We've been working on it and working through Spark Notes
https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/mocking/

It also helps that my oldest LOVED these books and knows everything about it. So she's been helping with the understanding and comprehension of the reading material. I just wish the teacher didn't require so much reading in a night's time because she's not keeping up and falling quickly behind Even with her IEP, she's still behind the reading schedule. But we are trying our best and that's all that I can ask for, especially since this will be the first book she's ever really read from front to back in her entire life!

This is a labor of love on all of our family members who have been lovingly helping her. Even if I read to her and then in a nutshell tell her what I just read with each paragprah, she still struggles to comprehend just those few sentences. It's hard when there's such a learning curve and I never went to school to teach/help with such a severe learning disability. You would think the school would help parents learn to help their students when they struggle so much.

You might have seen her artwork in my gallery. She's very artistic and lately we've been having her draw the paragraph. But sometimes she doesn't know to tell back what she just heard--which is her processing disorder, getting from her brain in to words or even sentences for her assignments. School is hard for her. My heart hurts knowing how smart she is, but can't get it out in voice or paper for the grade.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Here's what I've read so far this year.

I'm now 1/3 through Of Blood and Bone by Nora Roberts.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I started reading In Pieces by Sally Field. I was so excited to see it available at the library, but it's not what I was expecting AT ALL! It's quite depressing and I don't think I'm going to finish it....anyone else get through the whole thing?

I'm also reading Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society because it was made into a movie...it's ok so far. It takes place after WWII.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:37 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery
Default The books i read

The book i am currently reading is Someone like you by sarah dessen.

Also, i have listed a long list of books in my recent blog post i.e Fascinating Books to read this winter . if you are on your winter vacations please consider reading my blog
Old 02-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

excellent! I've added several of these to my queue!
Old 02-08-2019, 12:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BluEyedBabi View Post
I started reading In Pieces by Sally Field. I was so excited to see it available at the library, but it's not what I was expecting AT ALL! It's quite depressing and I don't think I'm going to finish it....anyone else get through the whole thing?

I'm also reading Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society because it was made into a movie...it's ok so far. It takes place after WWII.
i read Field's biography last fall, I really liked it, although it did find it rather sad. I found her perseverance inspiring. I also read the Guernsey Society title a few years ago and loved it. i adored the letter writing story telling. Hope you end up enjoying it as well.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:15 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keely~B View Post
A Constellation Of Vital Phenomena has been my favorite so far.
this one is bringing up the end of my queue... as i'm not sure i can deal with the content.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:03 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

Nice sharing
Old 09-13-2021, 07:04 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

You have a great collection of literature! I respect this approach to reading because I like to read a lot too.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:07 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

You have a great collection of literature! I respect this approach to reading because I like to read a lot too. Nowadays, books in bookstores are costly, so I prefer to use online options. I especially like the audiobooks I found at vpncoffee.com.
This was, for me a valuable content because I have long been unable to find sites where I could discover audiobooks of interest to me. It's convenient when I'm traveling or when I'm cooking. I just turn on an audiobook and enjoy listening to it.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:22 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have been reading more this year. I used to read all the time and then kids' activities pushed it aside. Kids are now finished with those activities (both in college this year) and I'm ready to take off this year.

Here's my list: The Flight Girls by Noelle Salazar; Sleigh the Day and Time is Money by Gina Lamanna; Golden Girl by Erin Hildebrand (Audible). I just downloaded The Betrayal of Anne Frank by Rosemary Sullivan on Audible and plan to listen to it while I scrap today.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:56 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm
I have been re-reading J.D.Robb's In Death series. I haven't read the newest two yet, but I may take a break in the series to read them. lol It just bothers me to go out of order.

I also started Pride and Prejudice, and was thinking about re-reading Divergent again. I like that series.
Old 04-09-2022, 02:44 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I have Audible and I am listening to the Virgin River Series. I watched it and fell in love! I also like to read Patricia Cornwall, debbie Macomber and Sherryl Woods.

On my wish list- anything by Matthew McConaughey, Michelle Obama and I want to read Valerie Bertinelli's new book.

Last edited by sharonbertol; 04-09-2022 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-09-2022, 03:17 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm not currently reading anything but I did scrap a page about DD#1 at the library with Mirjam's Get your read on bundle - it's new in the sweet shoppe today.

My other DD absolutely loves to read, but doesn't let me take many photos of her so hopefully I can sneak a couple in when she's deep in a book and doesn't notice... hehe!

I prefer watching movies or listening to books because otherwise, I'll fall asleep. I really should look into getting an audible subscription so I can check out some of the interesting books in this thread.
Old 04-09-2022, 05:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Over the last two years, I have listened to or read all of Agatha Christie's books, and I am so sad that it's over. They were so nice to listen to because I didn't have to pay super close attention to follow the story, but I was always entertained.

Recently, I have read The Heart of a Samauri, about the fictionalized story about the first Japanese person to go to America; he was on a fishing vessel that was blown out of Japanese waters by a storm and then rescued by an American ship. They couldn't take him back to Japan because the Japanese didn't allow Americans in their ports at that time.

I'm in the middle of Suzanne Collins' Gregor the Overlander series. I'm reading it to recommend it to my middle schoolers, and I like it.

The Plot was pretty good.

The main idea of this book is to prioritize convenience over aesthetics, and I've found it really helpful.

Last edited by joelsgirl; 04-09-2022 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-12-2022, 04:18 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

How did you end up liking "Erotic Stories for Punjabi Women?" I listened to the audiobook a few months ago and enjoyed it very much. I have another book by the same author (Balli Kaur Jaswal) on my wish list with Audible, and have also enjoyed a few audiobooks by Sonali Dev.
Old 06-13-2022, 01:34 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I'm reading (in Dutch) Heather Morris - Cilka's Journey ...
Old 06-13-2022, 08:11 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Right now, I'm in a holding pattern waiting for my fav series to release the next books but here are some of the ones I've read this year.

Dog's Waiting Room by Neal Plakcy. I really recommend the whole series.

Caramel Pecan Roll Murder by Joanne Fluke (Also recommend the whole series.)

Dog on It by Spencer Quinn (First in a series.)

Citizen K- 9 by David Rosenfelt (Another book I recommend the whole series. Actually, I also highly recommend the companion series by David Rosenfelt. The Andy Carpenter mysteries are a great read.)

One final recommendation if you are in to Christian/Clean romance. The Three Rivers Ranch series by Liz Isaacson. She is so great at weaving the story throughout all the books. You then move into the Seven Sons Ranch series that takes place in the same town and references the first series. The last series is Shiloh Ridge Ranch. I've loved them all.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:16 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I recently discovered the Lady Sherlock series by Sherry Thomas, and I’m listening to it for the second time because I loved it so much! Her writing is really good, and she throws and surprises that catch me off guard. Plus, they’re loosely based on Sherlock Holmes, which I love in any form.

I’m also listening to the audiobook, Jesus and John Wayne, which is a really interesting perspective about how testosterone is behind the current evangelical understanding of faith. As someone who identifies as an evangelical but isn’t really a part of evangelical culture and is often uncomfortable with the things evangelicals are associated with, I’m really excited to finish this book and see what it uncovers.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:21 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

RIley Blake series by Blake Pierce. am currently reading Once Pined
Old 11-27-2022, 05:59 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I just recently finished reading Check Your Work by Skye Kilaen. The whole series has been a blast to read for sure. I also just finished My Policeman by Bethann Roberts because I wanted to read it before the movie came out, and I'll be honest, it absolutely broke my heart, but also infuriated me on so many levels. Still such a beautiful book!

Definitely adding some of the books above to my TBR for sure!