Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default senior photo shoots

My daaughter is starting 12th grade next year and we got an appt card for her senior photos this weekend in the mail. She has to go to a certain photographer for the photos to be put in the yearbook. That part is free. Anything else we have to pay a sitting fee and the cost of photos. I told her we would go out and take some photos for her senior photos instead of buying from this company. Now I need some suggestions for this. I want to get some nice photos. Something special and memorable for her and for me. I know there are some photographers on here and also some moms who have done the senior photo thing and thought Id ask about it here . So any tips/ideas/examples would be great. Anything you think might be of use. I planned on doing it over a few different days so we can get alot of pictures of her to pick from. Thanks in advance!!

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 06-08-2009, 01:50 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I have a lot of senior photos posted on my web sites, trinalankfordphotography.com and trinalankford.com (under the Seniors gallery). Of those on my web site, Katelyn was my favorite senior this year...I LOVED doing the ones in her ballerina tutu om the railroad tracks!

Have fun!! Senior photo shoots are a BLAST!

Old 06-08-2009, 02:13 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

anything outdoors is wonderful...under big trees, on railroad tracks, tressels {sp?} under bridges...barefooted with just some favorite jeans and t-shirt on...on the school's high school sign {if it is at ground level}, leaning against an old barn, at the beach, or on a trampoline...that's all I can think of now I get to do this in 2 years, so I will be looking for some ideas too!
Old 06-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

maybe read this blog post about senior photo shoot locations?!?
http://mcpactions.com/blog/2009/04/2...eat-locations/

CT for Britt-ish Designs & Amy Jaz Designs
Fan of SSD
Old 06-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I will be watching this thread-a girl from the HS asked me to do her Sr. Pics...I told her I would do them for free-since I have never done it before-and that I would do them early in case they suck.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Plan to pay a sitting fee each day you plan to shoot...that could get expensive. What you do, is just bring several changes of clothes, and take about 30 - 50 in each outfit all in one sitting. It can take a few hours!

Here are some tips that came from a company I'm going to use for some photos here...I didn't get any of my son dressed up for graduation, so I might just have him go get some more done. Mine are just all on a CD. A friend did my son's, but he only brought casual type outfits with him. Bring a variety! Also, I didn't get any in his cap and gown...so I might bring those along with me...just for one photo! He also wanted some in his marching band uniform, and he grabbed the wrong uniform and the one he grabbed from the band room was several sizes too small!! Oh well!

1)
General Items
a)
Beware of red marks on your skin.
b)
The most common problems:
i)
Many times we see sunburn and tan lines from the tanning salons! Everyone please keep out of the sun a week or two before your session. We often see uneven sunburn from guys who wear ball caps, peeling skin on noses from recent burns, raccoon eyes from those who were burned while wearing sunglasses. Or strap lines on the shoulders of gals who wish to be photographed in a strapless formal dress or top. Sunburn, uneven tanning and tan lines cannot be retouched well.
c)
Another common problem are clothes that are wrinkled or don't fit.
d)
Ladies, don't bring your clothes rolled up in a ball in a backpack. They'll be a winkled mess and they will photograph that way. Pick outfits that you like and that will accent your body.
e)
Guys! we see over and over that their shirt collar and sleeves do not fit. Often due to a bad fitting or borrowed suit items. It is imperative that your shirt and tie are properly fitted and that your suit/sport coat is the proper size. Wear outfits that fit you properly and that you are comfortable wearing these will take the best pictures.
f)
Ladies, go lighter on dark mascara and very dark eye shadow as this will contribute raccoon eyes
2)
Eye Glasses & Hats
a)
Items such as glasses, watches and other tight fitting jewelry or clothing can leave red marks on your skin which can take up to an hour to disappear. Please be sure you remove them at least an hour before showing up for your appointment.
b)
Lenses distort the size and shape of your eyes and face. Lenses should be removed from your glasses. Your optometrist will do this for free if you can't do it yourself. Or... borrow a pair of empty frames from your optometrist that look similar to your own. They'll often do this for free or for a small 5.00 deposit that they refund when you return them. Due to our lighting and the way we concentrate our lighting to bring out your eyes we prefer to photograph you without your lenses in your glasses if you plan to wear them.
c)
Hats are not generally recommended
3)
Clothing Colors and Styles
a)
General
i)
Stay clear of stripes! (large bold ones of 5+" are tolerable. Small thin ones will not photograph well. It's best to not use any stripes or solids with 1-2 stripes or lines.
ii)
Your face should be the focal point of your portraits. Long sleeve solids or very subtle prints are usually the most flattering in portraits.
iii)
Select subtle colors such as ivory, taupe, navy, black or earth tones.
iv)
Avoid bright colors, such as reds, which demand instant attention.
v)
Absolutely avoid clothing with any pattern. Stripes, plaids, florals, and such distract the viewer particularly in large family groups where everyone is wearing different patterns. Patterns also date clothing much quicker in terms of fashion changes.
4)
Sr. Portraits
a)
Choose a VARIETY of outfits. It's a good idea to include both casual and more formal outfits in your senior portraits. You choose a couple and let Mom choose one or two, that way everyone is happy. Also use a variety of colors... for example, if you bring black, gray and white outfits for a 3 outfit session. You're previews will be really drab and boring. These are all good choices, but include some items of color too!
b)
Posing:
i)
We do a combination of sitting, standing and walking so feet will sometimes be shown. Avoid gym shoes or other "clunky" big shoes like boots. Simple and discreet are always best.
c)
On the beach you may want to go barefoot.
5)
Clothing and its effect in Photography
a)
Keep in mind that lighter colors add weight while darker colors subtract weight.
b)
Multiple layers of clothing can also add weight.
c)
Oversized turtle necks, lapels or overly plunging necklines do not photograph well.
d)
Wear long sleeved shirt instead of short sleeve or sleeveless. The added skin draws attention away from your face. Children are the exception to this rule.
e)
The same applies to legs. Remember to wear a long skirt, pants or dark stockings.
f)
Clothing should have V necklines where possible. Rounded and scoop necklines can add weight and make you appear shorter and wider than you are.
g)
Backless tops and outfits seem like a good idea, but in practice are difficult to work with. When a subject is turned even slightly, their front appears fully covered, but then there is a slight patch of skin showing from their back. This skin detracts from the appearance of the portrait and if there are many straps, it may make a subject appear to have
bulges of skin between the straps. This does not apply to backless or low cut and strappy outfits if you want a picture specifically from the back, perhaps looking over your shoulder.
h)
Matte black clothing is hard to photograph well. Some may, but it depends on the finish. Skin tight black outfits will show better than bulky black sweaters where all detail, including your arms and figure will be lost in the darkness.
6)
For couples, families or small groups
a)
do not wear different or clashing colors. Try to stay with the same colors/tones, such as all wearing mid blues.
7)
Makeup and Hair.
a)
If you want this to be a portrait of you, not a portrait of someone else's interpretation of you, then do your own makeup. It is not that having a professional do your hairstyle and makeup is wrong, but is the resulting look 'you'? Of course, this is an issue of personal choice.
b)
Bring your makeup, hair items and powder with you to be able to adjust your makeup as needed.
Prepare for your time in front of the camera awake and relaxed. Allow extra time to get here so you are not frantic or pressured. Everything translates to your photographs so relaxed, joking and fun is the order of the day.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone!!

Debra I will be doing the photographs myself so I can avoid the sitting fee and the huge cost of buying photos for everyone in the family as my husband comes from a family of five kids and so do I. There is really no way I could afford the studios prices for the amount of photos Id need LOL I think alot of the stuff in that though would apply whether she got them done in the studio or if I did them myself.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow