Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm
Default Share some cool meals for hot weather!

As I'm sitting here sweating just from cooking spaghetti for my son (well, I'm actually typing while we're waiting for the garlic bread to finish), I'm dreading this meal. It's heavy, made me hot, and not something I'm looking forward to eating. Neither are 3/4 of my family. Connor's the only one excited since it's his favorite meal and he helped me make the sauce yesterday.

Which got me to thinking...what are some of your 'cool' meals for hot weather? Doesn't have to be a cold meal, but what do you eat to beat-the-heat in the summer?
Old 07-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

grilled fajitas

cold quinoa salad... which I cook the quinoa in the microwave and throw in a bunch of veggies, black beans, leftover meat, and crumbled or shredded cheese, and to make things even easier I just use bottled oil and vinegar dressing, juice of one lime and fresh garlic

basically we grill a lot or microwave and eat a lot of fresh produce
Old 07-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

We eat lots of sandwiches, Mexican (seems like I always want to eat Mexican when I am hot, must remind me of being in San Antonio..lol) or grill stuff. Sometimes its fun to get different breads and fun stuff to make other than the normal sandwich. I made pizza on the grill last year (tortilla base) and it was really good.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I made this the other day. Threw in a little cubed chicken and called it a meal.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Cato View Post
I made this the other day. Threw in a little cubed chicken and called it a meal.
That looks awesome! I made a pasta salad a couple of times, too. I made mine up though. lol
Old 07-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

We do our own made up pasta salad here too, we also love taco salad for hot days. Or Chicken salad sandwiches. Yum.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We grill a lot in the summer... or do stir fries.

When I was growing up, my daddy was (still is) a milk hauler, driving semi and during the hot of summer my mom would make salad supper... seven layer salad, mac salad, jello salads, salmon and pea salad, etc... then for dessert she would make him a chocolate shake.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:18 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

italian ice. i've decided this is all im eating this summer.

lol
Old 07-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

it's extremely hot here today....and we had cereal lol

Old 07-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

sometimes we have breakfast for dinner. Make alot of sandwiches. Eat alot of salads. Anything that does not have to be heated that is not incredibly heavy. I dont even drink sodas when it gets as hot as it did today. They feel like syrup when it is so hot or we wait til later to eat so cooking something isnt quite so bad. Like about right now we would be eating dinner since the sun is going down.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I let dh cook out on the grill. Much cooler for me.

Actually we eat healthier in the summer because he does that ... it's hard to add a sauce to something cooking on the grill...it slides off and down below.

Sandwiches ... a lot of sandwiches. ...and salads ... but the boys won't eat salads so generally they eat a lot of hot dogs or grilled cheese. ... not exactly cool food...but they won't eat vegetables and only eat bananas (with an occasional apple).

Actually right now we have pork chop soup in the crockpot ... so we do crockpot foods a lot.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Cato View Post
Looks yummy!

Add me to the grilling/sandwich bunch. Though we use our George Forman as we live in an apt. I've been wanting to add in some pasta salads but have to find the right recipes for my picky family.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we won't eat any pasta salads, dh and I are the only one that will eat any kind of salad and I get tired of it real quick ... i do make cold tuna fish, miracle whip, and sweet pickles for sandwiches or on crackers ... again only dh and I will eat that.

we do have cold cereal at time for dinners because it is the only cold thing that sounds good. not sure what I would do if it weren't for the crock pot...these kids might just totally refuse to eat ... and they need to gain weight.

We had pork chop soup tonight ... throw in pork chops in crock pot (we do boneless) ... and some cans of cream of celery soup (with as much water) ... and cook on high all day ... about 6 hours later we use forks and shred the pork chops. Then we add about 1 1/2 cups of minute rice (this is to a very large crock pot) ... and put on high for another hour.

Serve. Couldn't be simpler. Sometimes if it isn't too hot I might bake some crescent rolls ... otherwise a piece of bread & butter if they want something with the soup.

That was easy for today since I was at robotics unexpectedly for 5 hours!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Kay View Post
we won't eat any pasta salads, dh and I are the only one that will eat any kind of salad and I get tired of it real quick ... i do make cold tuna fish, miracle whip, and sweet pickles for sandwiches or on crackers ... again only dh and I will eat that.

we do have cold cereal at time for dinners because it is the only cold thing that sounds good. not sure what I would do if it weren't for the crock pot...these kids might just totally refuse to eat ... and they need to gain weight.
Same problem here. My kids prefer the microwaved nuggets or mac and cheese. I would love it if they were more willing. Though the salad stuff is only me, no dh.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We order pizza
Old 07-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

We like to eat lettuce wraps, satay off the grill, grilled pizza...basically I will cook everything outside if I have the chance to keep from heating up the house.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

grill
salads
tacos
Old 07-18-2010, 01:20 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I will also eat fruit instead of regular lettuce type salads although I love lettuce with some croutons, carrots, cucumbers a little chicken and cheese and ranch dressing. I usually put the dressing on the side though. I also love to take leftover chicken breasts and shred it really fine and make it up just like you would tuna with miracle whip and a little seasoning. My favorite is hickory mesquite seasoning which is by weber or another spice company. It gives the chicken a little smoky flavor and since it is cold its perfect for when it is really hot out. Another thing we love is pulled pork on garlic bread. We get the premade pork in the little tubs and just pop it in the mocrowave. I know I could make it alot cheaper but I love the Curly's Bold and Spicy pulled pork. It is really good and putting it on texas toast style garlic bread is a nice change of pace for sandwiches. I usually make an open face sandwich

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-18-2010, 01:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy Lyle View Post
We order pizza
yep me too & I tend to eat a lot of subway year round because of working through dinner time & being straight after university

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 07-18-2010, 04:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is a Bulgarian salad that you can eat as the main course if you wish so. It's easy and yummy.

Sorry in advance for my poor recipe English, I still haven't got the hang of this (recipes are one of the most difficult things to translate, as a matter of fact).

You need:

2-3 peppers
4-5 tomatoes
1 cucumber
2 table spoons of olive oil
1 table spoon of lemon juice
100 g of salty cheese (you can use feta)

Clean and chop the peppers. Pour boiling water over tomatoes, peel them and chop them to cubes. Skin the cucumber and chop it to cubes. Put the vegetables in a bowl, add olive oil and lemon juice. In the end add the grated cheese, mix everything (with a spoon or similar) and let it stand in the fridge for about an hour.

It's similar to Greek salad, but you don't use olives and the cheese is grated, not cut into cubes.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Sharon I think you have the pickest kids hehe I would go insane with picky kiddos. So glad with the exception of the boy my kids will eat anything! I know we lucked out

We do baked potatoes (in the micro) and chef salad A LOT during the summer..super quick and my house doesn't get all hot.

We grill out A LOT too..yummmy

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 07-18-2010, 09:02 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm.....how about you guys share some of the hot weather??
Old 07-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Usually anything I don't have to turn the oven on for like

Mexican food: fajitas & tostadas
Variety of stove top Pastas
Sandwiches (cold or toasted)
Main dish salad (rice, beans etc...)
Old 07-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Susan Bartolini

Adrianka - that salad looks heavenly. YUM!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy Lyle View Post
We order pizza
This reminds me of what happened a week ago ... ok how do you know when you order pizza too often ... drumroll ....

when you call in your pizza order of 2 hamburger pizzas, a crazy bread & sauce and the person on the other end of the line says "is this order for Scott?"

Freaked Scott out! I'm usually the one that calls it in and he picks it up ... but this time he called it in ... so a different person calling them ... but apparently we must be their only customer that orders 2 hamburger pizzas, crazy bread & sauce.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
Sharon I think you have the pickest kids hehe I would go insane with picky kiddos. So glad with the exception of the boy my kids will eat anything! I know we lucked out

We do baked potatoes (in the micro) and chef salad A LOT during the summer..super quick and my house doesn't get all hot.

We grill out A LOT too..yummmy
...oh and they don't like their chicken nuggets microwaved ... (neither do I but I'm picky...only like the white chicken breast type of food...not that pieced together dark meat). lol

Brian lives basically on pizza, Ravioli in the can (yes he takes it out & heats it up...just an expression lol), bagel bites (the frozen kind you pop in the oven), hot dogs, mac & cheese, spaghetti (not chunky sauce) ... and hamburgers. He barely eats mexican (which I think I have taco sauce in my veins). He will eat two kinds of packaged oatmeal. He will eat tomato soup & noodles and grilled cheese...and chicken cordon bleu ... oh and a DH side of the family dish "noodles & eggs" scrambled with ketchup. blech

Tony likes ramen noodles, pizza, PB&J, pizza, but he will eat chili (without beans), won't eat spaghetti of any kind, likes 2 kinds of oatmeal packets, chicken cordon bleu, and grilled cheese (but not tomato soup & noodles) and the only mexican he will eat is chicken fajitas.

Scott likes pizza, pizza, and did I mention pizza? He also likes the frozen ravioli that you bake, and will eat sandwiches (meat & cheese no sauce), tomato soup & noodles, and grilled cheese. Scott likes tamales and loves chicken fajitas. Scott loves chicken cordon bleu ... thankfully that is something all 5 of us will eat ... I buy it for 99 cents each at Aldis...so thankfully it is not expensive. ... oh and Scott likes pizza.

...so they aren't completely limited ... but they are in a sense. It's real hard to find something to fix that I am sure all 5 of us will eat ... off the top of my head ...

- PB&J
- pizza
- chicken cordon bleu
- soft tacos (meat & cheese & sauce...not chunky...only)
- Cheez-it chicken (baked chicken breast pieces that have been dipped in butter & smashed cheez-it crackers)
- chicken nuggets (although I am picky...mine has to be white meat)
- hamburgers
- hot dogs

Fruits: bananas and sometimes apples (but not everyone)
Vegetables: baked potato, french fries (but not me), any other kind there is always someone that doesn't like something ... basically we have green beans and corn. dh won't eat anything other than lettuce ... no other veggies.

I like more fruits and veggies than the whole family combined ... but my mom thinks *I* am picky ... she doesn't feed this group. lol

Last edited by Sharon Kay; 07-18-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My fav. thing right now is really just a side dish. Most of you Southern girlies have probably fixed it - it's just a pickled tomato and cucumber salad. Chop up fresh (preferably home-grown) tomatoes and cucumbers with some white onion, add some white vinegar, salt, and pepper, and let it all sit in the fridge for a few hours. YUM!

Old 07-19-2010, 02:25 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

You should get a medal for trying to make that crew happy!

Do they like rice? We love Hawaiian haystacks around here in the summer time. It's easy and it's just rice then you put whatever toppings on it you like. We do tomatoes, green onions, pineapple, coconut, chow mein noodles, cheese, chicken gravy and anything else that sounds good at the time. My kids love it.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:03 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm149 View Post
My fav. thing right now is really just a side dish. Most of you Southern girlies have probably fixed it - it's just a pickled tomato and cucumber salad. Chop up fresh (preferably home-grown) tomatoes and cucumbers with some white onion, add some white vinegar, salt, and pepper, and let it all sit in the fridge for a few hours. YUM!

this is my absolute FAVORITE salad Tracie!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We do a lot of hummus and tabbouleh in pita pockets, curried chicken salad, pasta salad, steamed veggies, pasta primavera, cold brown rice and bean salads, grilled pizzas, fish tacos, bean burritos, eggs or cereal even. I pretty much refuse to use my oven between May and September, my house is tiny and it heats up the house too much. (and honestly I'm not a fan of cooking, I do it because I have to )

My DH made some zucchinin and summer squash pickles this weekend and apparently they're breakfast
Old 07-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm149 View Post
We also toss a little sugar in to make it sweet and sour. I have a batch in the fridge right now - yummy stuff!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keely~B View Post
We do a lot of hummus and tabbouleh in pita pockets, curried chicken salad, pasta salad, steamed veggies, pasta primavera, cold brown rice and bean salads, grilled pizzas, fish tacos, bean burritos, eggs or cereal even. I pretty much refuse to use my oven between May and September, my house is tiny and it heats up the house too much. (and honestly I'm not a fan of cooking, I do it because I have to )

My DH made some zucchinin and summer squash pickles this weekend and apparently they're breakfast
Except for the squash pickles, I want to come live with you - the woman after my own taste buds!!
Old 07-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I tried these Greek Style Pita Sandwiches last night and loved them. My son dressed his with ranch dressing instead of the yogurt sauce, but otherwise every one loved them. The only 'cooking' portion is 3 minutes on the stovetop, so they are great for hot weather.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Some great ideas! Here in AK it doesn't really get TOO terribly hot but we do grill a lot. Since the winter months are so long and we don't tend to pull the grill out then....

Here is an AWESOME blog with TONS of awesome recipes and ideas:
http://www.melskitchencafe.com/

Love them and we haven't found a recipe we have not liked yet!