Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Grocery Game?

Anyone here tried the Grocery Game?

Every time I hear about it I'm always intrigued but it seems like a TON of work. Anyone done it and made it work? Did you stick with it?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

That's actually very intriguing...
Old 02-04-2009, 09:10 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I haven't but I've also been really interested in it. I was behind a lady in a grocery line one day and she had so many coupons that I asked if she was doing the Grocery Game, and she was. She got a million items for super cheap and I became a believer.... but all the work stops me.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I signed up for it but cancelled after the trial period. I did not find that it saved me any money. In my area, the only grocery store they listed was Jewel which is the most expensive of all of our local grocery stores so for me it just was not worth paying the $10 to continue. Plus, I still felt like I was spending hours printing/clipping coupons just to have $3.00 worth of coupons, KWIM?

I would try the trial for a $1 if there are grocery stores in your area on her list that you shop at and see if it works for you.

I hope that helps.
Dawn
Old 02-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The idea behind the grocery game is that you pair up your coupons with stuff that's on sale so you get really good deals. So you hold the mac n cheese coupon that's 50 cents off for when mac and cheese is buy one get one free at the store and you save even more. The people that are the most successful with the grocery games are ones that can get multiple coupon ads per week, live near stores that double coupons, and people that buy a lot of stuff for which coupons are issued.

I did a trial run on the grocery game and it was "ok" - my stores don't double, my newspaper doesn't offer a double coupons option and I didn't have anyone else to get coupons from, and I actually don't buy lots of coupon'ed things.

It can be a big savings though if you have the positive factors going for you - also if you are flexible on brands of laundry detergent, toothpaste, etc you can save a lot as well.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

My stores don't take internet coupons either so a lot of them didn't work for me. I know Amanda Rockwell plays it successfully. There was a long thread @ DST about this game..a lot love it! I don't have the patience for it.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 02-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I actually just finished the trial period. But i did cancel it. In my area there were plenty of grocery stores to pick from. The probelm was that my stores get new ads on Wednesday BUT the Grocery Game didn't update and coordinate there site until Sunday. So it really only gave me two days wiht the current ad. It just became to frustrating.

It is just way easier to watch the ads your self, cut the coupons you WILL (already) use and wathc the ads your self. Ebay sells coupons, TheCouponMaster.com sells them in bulk. Also HotCouponWorld.com is a great place to stalk and look for deals. I am not the couponer that cuts every coupon and uses every coupon. I cut what I already use and try and stock up on what we need.

Anyways, good luck! Try the trial period and see if it will work for you. Also it is really easy to cancel when you are done.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

gee, I guess there is a downfall to living in the middle of nowhere ... closest place to shop for me according to this is 1.5/2 hours away. And sadly, I don't head that direction to shop very often, I go 45 minutes the other way from town.
But I ever move to a city again, I'll definitely try it! I used to be a coupon whore when I lived in the city ... I was a major bargain shopper!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i haven't tried it, although I've looked into it a couple of times - if I remember correctly, i think I remember Lena doing it???

Anyway - on couponmom dot com she has a database each week as well for free and tells you where to get coupons - I've used hotcouponworld too.

For toiletries - shampoo, toothpaste, raizors...I've done some CVSing - anyone else done that? It can be kind of addicting, but you have to be careful not to buy stuff you don't need just to buy it because it's free - I haven't paid for toothpaste since last May...
Old 02-05-2009, 01:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've done GG in the past and saved a lot of money doing it, but honestly there are tons of AWESOME blogs and web sites out there that will give you the same info if not even better for absolutely FREE! I have a whole closet full of stockpiled toiletries and my pantry cabinet is full of stockpiled items too, and most of it was free or super cheap with coupons and sales. I'm heading to bed but I can link you guys up with some of the ones I follow in the morning if anyone is interested
Old 02-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

There are very few coupons in existence in Canada. I can order coupons through save.ca, but stores just don't publish coupons here. If any Canadians are coupon-girls I'd love to hear how on earth you find coupons!!

My Etsy Shop
Proud to be creating for :
Old 02-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayawake View Post
There are very few coupons in existence in Canada. I can order coupons through save.ca, but stores just don't publish coupons here. If any Canadians are coupon-girls I'd love to hear how on earth you find coupons!!
I haven't had much luck either. And half the time, even if I have a valid coupon, they won't honour it.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I did it for awhile but I don't get the paper consistently so I don't have all the coupons. Also they only have it for the most expensive grocery store in town. I found I can go online to both my local stores & see their sale ads & work out for myself what to buy where.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've tried a version of it and it does save you money. My problem was that my family is very stuck on certain foods and certain brands and they don't like substitutions, so many coupons I couldn't use, so it got to be too much trouble.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhaslem View Post

For toiletries - shampoo, toothpaste, raizors...I've done some CVSing - anyone else done that? It can be kind of addicting, but you have to be careful not to buy stuff you don't need just to buy it because it's free - I haven't paid for toothpaste since last May...
I just recently started trying CVSing. I'm hoping to save some money on toiletries and diapers, etc. So far, I've been able to earn some CVS bucks on just getting stuff we actually need/use when it's been on sale.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Voodoo_Bryn

I LOVED it when I lived in Southern California... but since there are no Double Coupons at all here in Northern California, I gave it up.

Hint... hotcouponworld.com is free and just as good.

Also... it depends on who is compiling your list on Grocery Game... I had an excellent list in SoCal... and a really shoddy one in NorCal.