Old 03-07-2016, 01:30 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Go Jennifer! Baby steps!
Old 03-07-2016, 11:30 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I NEED A HALLELUJAH, LADIES!

I just went to the grocery store and bought NO UNHEALTHY SNACKS for me. I bought a couple of things for the kids but things I don't like to eat so they won't tempt me. I bought bananas and cottage cheese + pineapple chunks and orange sherbet for me. I did buy a small thing of chocolate milk; in the past, having a couple of swallows of chocolate milk (straight out of the bottle -- don't tell!) helps me to feel like I've had a treat without blowing a bunch of calories on candy or cookies.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yay LeeAndra! WTG! I find that night time snacking on carbs is not a good thing for me. I also tend to overeat (the whole bag of chips, not just a handful). I need small quantities and there needs to be a protein in it. I am going to make up a batch of whole grain english muffin mini pizzas and freeze them so I can have that as a snack sometimes at night with a tea. The trick is to only have 1 so I will wrap them individually and only grab 1. I can toast them up quick in the toaster oven.

I always feels bloated and yucky when I've had a large carb snack the night before, plus salt bloat...yuck. I need to stop doing that. Last night I felt hungry, about 9:00 pm, but really I wasn't. It is just that I am so conditioned to eat (junk) at night that I start craving. So I decided to grab 6 little M&M's to have a small chocolate treat and then had a banana. Then I scrapped a page for Flerg's March Challenge. It kept me occupied and no more eating. Yay.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to snack mindlessly at night and now I have a hard and fast rule of no eating after dinner, period. I brush and floss my teeth after dinner and I'm done. I do intermittent fasting where I have an 8-hour window for eating during the day and that's it. It has really helped me get to know my true hunger and that it's okay to actually feel a bit hungry and that I won't starve to death - LOL. I usually have a cup of tea in the evening while I scrap and watch TV (love my Teavana store!)
Old 03-07-2016, 01:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

wow good job girls ,
Rae doing other things always help me to not think about my cravings and you dit very good with only the banana and the small M&M

Today i had a very good day no cravings at all and i spend all day in the kitchen to make healthy options for lunch and dinner and a healthy snack well it is not as bad as a normale snack lol and i made some smoothies with lots of fruits and veggie's
Old 03-07-2016, 03:20 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlekiwi View Post
I was super proud of myself today as I found a great cafe/bakery for lunch- bought a chicken wrap and had honeydew melon which is a great step for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jennifer,

That is a great achievement! Those little things add up. Just being aware of choices we make is a step in the right direction.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm making jello for a snack tonight. It's good to make a plan.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Whe don't have jello here in the netherlands i always look at it and think this i wanne try !

So how is everyone doing today ??
I hat 2 very good days , all do today i have giving my self a little bit of a threat because i got very good news where i whas waiting for a long time ! so i made burgers without the bread just with veggies and a vanilla cola
But for the rest it is all veggies fruits and healthy eating
Old 03-08-2016, 04:23 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Hi, ladies. It sounds like everyone is doing really great. I discovered something really yummy last night...zoodles (zucchini noodles). I used one of those little tools to make noodles out of a zucchini. I threw the zucchini, some garlic, and some mushrooms in a pan and cooked until the noodles and mushrooms were soft. I added some cooked ground turkey and some organic tomato sauce. Yummy! I probably could have eaten more than 1 zucchini but I only had one.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Tracie - I've got that tool too and its great. This year I think I will get the spiralizer though as it is so much faster. I'm waiting to see one on sale. I love using the zucchini and carrot strips in my stir-fry. I don't eat a lot of pasta/noodles so often have the spiral/shredded veggies instead and instead of pasta noodles have sphaghetti squash. Tonight I'm having BBQ shredded pork loin, carrot strips, brown rice, soya sauce, ginger, garlic and green onion with fried eggs mixed in.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:11 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Ooooh I'm a big fan of my spiralizer! This is what I have. It's SO worth it. I do zucchini, sweet potatoes, onion, cabbage, and just about anything else you can think of on it!
Old 03-09-2016, 02:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ooooh i think i need a spiralizer now i wanne make zucchini spaghetti
Old 03-09-2016, 04:00 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Just found this thread and so glad I did. I have been struggling since #three unexpectedly came to our family in early 2013. After he was born I had some issues with infection that kept me from getting back into a good exercise routine for a few months- threw out my back when he was 3 months old further adding to the problem, then had some emotional upheavals with the hubby just after that - so, it has been a long hard road to get back into the motivated place to get back in shape and really take care of me - In January he turned three and I am starting to feel stronger in my core finally so started with a heavier exercise routine and really focusing on eating healthy and ONLY when I am actually hungry (big emotional eater here). I was doing really well, then last week I got in a motorbike accident and that kinda went out the window.

So, seeing this thread is very encouraging to me, to have somewhere to check in and help with my motivation! I really just want to loose the baby weight: get in shape again ( I used to run 5ks ) and get at least closer to my pre-pregnancy size though the shape will never be the same (if you know what I mean, lol)

So thanks Libby - and I have enjoyed reading about you all's progress - Way to go! Keep at it!
Old 03-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Had a long walk yesterday with the dogs and had brown rice/pork/veggie dish for dinner. I had a few cups of green tea (I put in a few drops of orange flavored Stevia) and then for my snack I had apple slices with my peanut butter/yogurt dip (recipes posted earlier in this thread). Today I'm making a few bowls of jello for the next few nights for a snack. I love that this thread helps us all to be motivated to try a bit harder to be healthier.

Yay to us!
Old 03-10-2016, 04:12 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Hi, guys. I've been doing well this week. I've been packing my lunch at night for the next day so I have time to weigh everything. This week I have been eating some shredded buffalo chicken I made in the crock pot. I put it over a bed of mixed greens. I don't even need any dressing because the chicken has a lot of flavor. I've stayed in my points and I even did 5 miles on the recumbent bike last night. I think the challenge for me this week is going to be Saturday night. I will be going out to eat. I have to remind myself that food is not a reward. I plan to make the healthiest choice I can and do some homework ahead of time so I know what to order at different places. Hope everyone else is having a good week!
Old 03-10-2016, 04:26 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Tracie, that's great!!!

And I so hear you on eating out. My mindset used to be that if we were going out, I should "treat" myself to something, but we went out so often that it was really the norm more than a treat.

The true test came for me a few weeks ago when we went to a Mexican restaurant. In the past, I would've ordered something covered in cheese with rice & refried beans and eaten my weight in tortilla chips. Instead, I ordered some chicken fajitas dry (not cooked in oil) in lettuce wraps instead of a tortilla. I just used a little dab of sour cream and guac and avoided the tortilla chips altogether. You know what? It tasted AMAZING, and I didn't go over my points for the day.

We're going to weigh in later this evening. I *should* hit the 20 lb mark tonight. So excited!
Old 03-10-2016, 08:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Girls - I need some help; I am so frustrated. I have stayed in my calorie range but the scale is not moving (gain a pound; loose a pound). I have been at this plateau for 3 weeks.

Any suggestions for reving my body up?
Old 03-10-2016, 08:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjr@fuse.net View Post
Girls - I need some help; I am so frustrated. I have stayed in my calorie range but the scale is not moving (gain a pound; loose a pound). I have been at this plateau for 3 weeks.

Maybe examine what kind of calories you're consuming? Limit the fats - no oils (even for cooking), no dairy, easy on the nuts if you eat them. (I won't say no meat because I know most people aren't vegetarian) Make sure you're not "treating" yourself for exercising by eating a little bit more of something (even something healthy - there are on magic calories ) And on the other hand if you're exercising too much make sure you're getting enough calories or you won't lose either.

Last edited by mariewilcox; 03-10-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:52 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Good day ladies :-) I thought I'd join the conversation as I just joined the "green smoothie" fad. Im not looking to loose weight that way, but increase healthy eating and get more fruits and veggies (especially) in my life.

This morning's smoothie consisted of
1/2 cup plain greek nonfat yogurt
1/2 cup almond milk (can't tolerate it unless its in a smoothie...e.g. can't use it for cereal)
1 cup spinach
1 banana
1 tbl spoon oats
1 tbl spoon ground hazelnuts
1/4 ts spoon cinnamon
1 tbl spoon local honey

It tasted GREAT! Next time I'll more oats though, make it more hearty.

I weight myself regularly so I'll let you know if I start gaining or loosing weight by having a smoothie for breakfast.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I passed my first BIG TEST tonight! *fistpump*

We were supposed to go to a Mexican restaurant where I had already planned out what I was going to eat but at the last minute it got changed to Red Robin (a hamburger place). Ladies, I could eat my weight in bacon cheeseburgers. ZOMG. They are one of my very favorite foods.

I ordered a chicken sandwich without dressing AND didn't eat any of the fries that came with my meal.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:52 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjr@fuse.net View Post

I agree with a lot Marie said. Make sure you aren't overeating the healthy fats like nuts, nut butters, avacodos, etc. Some people get stuck on too much fruit too. Maybe add some more veggies in place. Also, I don't know what kind of exercise you are doing but maybe adding some weight training or mixing up your exercise routine might help. Make sure you are drinking enough water. Hope that helps.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I passed my first BIG TEST tonight! *fistpump*

We were supposed to go to a Mexican restaurant where I had already planned out what I was going to eat but at the last minute it got changed to Red Robin (a hamburger place). Ladies, I could eat my weight in bacon cheeseburgers. ZOMG. They are one of my very favorite foods.

I ordered a chicken sandwich without dressing AND didn't eat any of the fries that came with my meal.

Yay, LeeAndra! Awesome job staying on track. Don't those little victories make you proud of yourself? I know they do for me. Eating out is one of the hardest things for me because it is so easy to say "it is only one meal" and "I'll get back on track after this".
Old 03-11-2016, 02:59 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett View Post
Tracie, that's great!!!

And I so hear you on eating out. My mindset used to be that if we were going out, I should "treat" myself to something, but we went out so often that it was really the norm more than a treat.

The true test came for me a few weeks ago when we went to a Mexican restaurant. In the past, I would've ordered something covered in cheese with rice & refried beans and eaten my weight in tortilla chips. Instead, I ordered some chicken fajitas dry (not cooked in oil) in lettuce wraps instead of a tortilla. I just used a little dab of sour cream and guac and avoided the tortilla chips altogether. You know what? It tasted AMAZING, and I didn't go over my points for the day.

We're going to weigh in later this evening. I *should* hit the 20 lb mark tonight. So excited!
Good job on the Mexican food. I always would get a chimichanga with cheese, sour cream, guacamole and probably my weight in chips and salsa. No wonder I have a weight problem. Good thing I'm changing my ways. I didn't think to ask for lettuce wraps. I will have to remember that. Hope your weigh in went well.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:34 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Tracie! It did! I lost another 1.2 for a total of 21 now! I love seeing that number change each week. It doesn't have to be a lot... I'm just glad to see progress!
Old 03-11-2016, 05:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LeeAndra - yay for you! Mexican food is my weakness, as is Chinese food....oh...and pizza too (ugh...the list goes on and on).

I try to remember that a calorie is a calorie (within reason b/c what you eat does make a difference in how your body uses it).

I am in a transition phase. I am not counting calories, am not weighing myself everyday (like I used to) but am paying attention to what I eat and trying to avoid empty calories, but also paying attention to how many foods I eat that have high fat/calories. So I eat lots of veggies, normal portion of meat (or sometimes less), keep grain and dairy lowish, with a bit of fat at every meal (mostly avocado, grape seed or coconut oil) and limit my intake of fruits and nuts. I also watch my starches and don't eat potatoes or rice more than 2-3 times a week. So far so good. This balance seems to be working for me.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:49 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Skype™ to mshanhun

Jumping in! I've been doing my post baby physio 3x daily and it paid off with over a 1kg (2lbs) lost this week :
Are you girls all on My Fitness Pal? I'm mshanhun there and would love some new friends in my feed to keep my motivated

Old 03-11-2016, 09:50 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Skype™ to mshanhun

Quote:
I love to see everyone chiming in here!!

Still rocking and rolling over here. As of this week's weigh-in, I'm down 19.8 lbs... soooooooooo close to that 20 lb mark! I feel confident I'll hit it next week. I'm feeling good, not hungry, no junk cravings, and I'm actually enjoying our morning exercise.

And a little NSV (non-scale victory), I actually had 2 people comment at church that they noticed I was losing weight. I still don't see much of a difference in myself (though my husband says he does), so it was nice to know that other people are noticing.

It's great when people notice!

Old 03-12-2016, 09:06 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Congrats on the loss this week Libby! I am down 3.8 pounds this week. I am super happy with that. I have a lot going on this weekend so it is going to take some effort to stay on track. I'm going to do my very best to do that.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:04 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

down 1 pound since the end of February -- March has not been a good month for me but I guess it is better than gaining weight.

I have really been trying to improve my steps/exercise in March so I want to believe that I am gaining muscle mass which will help me loose weight (burn fat).

Now just get through Easter without gaining 3+ pounds and I will be good. I have already decided I am going to enjoy the Easter holiday without worrying about counting food. The good thing is I am preparing the dinner so I can watch what goes in the food and try to keep low calories.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:47 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Tracie, congrats on a great loss! That's super awesome!

Debbie, I know it's easy to get discouraged, but you are so right that losing 1 lb is definitely better than gaining! I wonder if you need to change things up a bit? Do you find that you're eating the same foods every day, getting the same amount of calories, doing the same exercises? Sometimes you just need to shake it up a little and add in a few more calories one day or try a new exercise program. That can sometimes help jumpstart things again. Also, be sure you're drinking enough water. For me, when I start to stall, water is the only thing that helps me. You should take your current weight in lbs, divide that number in half, and drink that amount in ounces. It sounds like a lot of water, but it really DOES help.

As for me, I had a pretty good week last week... I am now down a total of 23.2 lbs. This week, however, I'm hoping just to stay the same (obviously I'd prefer to lose, but I'll take a "not gaining" week.) I've splurged a couple of different times... pretty big splurges... and my daughter is here for spring break this week. So, she and I will be going out for iced lattes and shopping one day. But ultimately, I want to live my life, and the fact of the matter is that I'm GOING to have splurges throughout life. So, I need to learn to have them in moderation and get right back on track. That's why I'm just gonna be glad for no gain this week! LOL
Old 03-21-2016, 12:09 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to JMC1988

That is so true Libby! I have found that everything in moderation makes you stick to something better. I have just decided to eat healthier and exercise when I can and I have been feeling much better. We have been eating more veggies here in this household and not a lot of starches since my dad has diabetes and starches (specifically potatoes) are so bad for him. I have been making the roasted veggies of onions, red potatoes/sweet potatoes and carrots with a smidge of olive oil and some Mrs. Dash Original seasoning and they are to die for and my family keeps asking that I make them over and over again.

I was pretty down for the count 2 weeks ago as I caught a nasty C. Diff. infection and got severely dehydrated and had to go into my doctor's office for some IV fluids. So I am still catching up as I am still a little under the weather and recovering. Boy did it ever take a toll on me. I have not been that sick since I was a baby. So, I am pretty sure I lost some weight with not eating for 7+ days except for the occasional rice boiled in chicken broth. I have not weighed since I have been sick.

Went to the grocery store today and bought a lot of fruits (fresh pineapples and cantaloupe). I am proud that I am making smarter and healthier choices.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm making Easter dinner on the weekend so am starting to think of the menu now so I can make it healthy but with a bit of a splurge. I want to make a veggie casserole and another veggie dish to go with the scalloped potatoes and ham.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:10 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Jennifer, I'm SO sorry to hear that you've been so very sick!! Sounds like it's gonna take a little time to recover from that much illness. *BIG HUGS* Glad you're on the mend!
Old 03-21-2016, 10:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sounds like everyone is at least putting in effort to not totally go off the rails lately! I'm down 21 pounds and feel pretty great. My sugar cravings are honestly gone and I don't even have the urge to splurge, which I LOVE! I've been sticking to making my meals for the week every Sunday, which helps so much with portion control (and no time spent in the kitchen at night other than warming up dinner since Cheyanne eats them also). Jenn and Kristin - I've been lazy about posting my recipes on my FB group page - I'm going to post some today!

We're having our monthly Sunday dinner at my parents' this coming weekend and everyone is omni except for me, so I'll be bringing my whole food options, including a lemon blueberry "cheesecake" to celebrate spring. Of course it actually has no cheese or dairy of any kind but they're game for trying it. I'm also making a Brussels sprouts and quinoa salad with dried cranberries and orange vinaigrette and deviled potatoes - little baby potatoes stuffed with a hummus filling to eat in place of deviled eggs (I hated eggs even before I went vegan!)
Old 03-21-2016, 11:20 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Marie, while I'm not vegan, my hubby makes a delicious banana lime vegan cheesecake. You can't even tell that it doesn't have any dairy in it, and everyone RAVES about it. So, I bet your lemon blueberry one is amazing, too!

I should point out that my splurges this week were more about situations than about real desires. I don't mind splurging when I've really got a craving for something (which hasn't happened in a long time). But this week, my splurges were all results of being out with other people. And honestly, in each case, even though I splurged, it was on a MUCH smaller scale than what it used to be regularly. So, I'm still counting it as a victory. But today, I'm chugging water and making only clean, healthy choices.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh I hope I didn't sound condescending about splurges Libby! I'm just so happy that for me it's so much easier now - I would never judge someone else since I've been there 1000 times before!
Old 03-21-2016, 11:57 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh no no, not at all. I try to follow the 90/10 rule... if 90% of my choices are healthy, I don't mind that extra 10. But this week has been more like 80/20, and I definitely need to reel it in a bit. LOL The situational stuff is still a struggle for me. I have a hard time saying "no thanks" when I'm in a situation where others are having something "bad." So, I'm definitely a work-in-progress. LOL
Old 03-21-2016, 12:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewilcox View Post
little baby potatoes stuffed with a hummus filling to eat in place of deviled eggs
OMG! Do you have a recipe for this?

Deviled eggs are probably the one thing I miss (crazy as that sounds) Holidays for me that is what I was most excited about. However i LOVE potatoes and hummus soo if there is a recipe for this i'd love to try it!
Old 03-21-2016, 01:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Marie - I agree about losing the sugar cravings once you've been away from them for awhile. I am awful, if I have some, it starts up a steady stream of cravings and I really struggle to resist. But if I stay away from them for a week then I hardly even think about it. Luckily, I'm in the "hardly thinking about it" stage.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Oh no no, not at all. I try to follow the 90/10 rule... if 90% of my choices are healthy, I don't mind that extra 10. But this week has been more like 80/20, and I definitely need to reel it in a bit. LOL The situational stuff is still a struggle for me. I have a hard time saying "no thanks" when I'm in a situation where others are having something "bad." So, I'm definitely a work-in-progress. LOL
Yeah, the situational stuff is hard and then everyone saying oh, you only live once, something's gonna kill ya might as well eat what you want, etc.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
OMG! Do you have a recipe for this?

Deviled eggs are probably the one thing I miss (crazy as that sounds) Holidays for me that is what I was most excited about. However i LOVE potatoes and hummus soo if there is a recipe for this i'd love to try it!
Here's the one I use Kristin

http://www.forksoverknives.com/recip...little-devils/
Old 03-21-2016, 01:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
Marie - I agree about losing the sugar cravings once you've been away from them for awhile. I am awful, if I have some, it starts up a steady stream of cravings and I really struggle to resist. But if I stay away from them for a week then I hardly even think about it. Luckily, I'm in the "hardly thinking about it" stage.
Good for you Rae! For me it's sugar and oils (aka chips and the like) - Now that I don't cook with oil I have an aversion to it and if I do eat some (salad dressing or something at a restaurant) it makes me feel like crap for a couple days, which is a great incentive to avoid it in the first place!
Old 03-21-2016, 01:35 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Hi, guys! Marie and Libby, your desserts sound wonderful. I splurged this weekend on Mexican food. I knew better but I got right back on track which is a good thing. I am down 13 pounds after 3 weeks so that is still motivating me to push through and keep going. I am trying to eat less meat during the week. I will see how that goes. I've never been a huge fan of meat anyway. I could easily live off of carbs alone but people have always pushed me to eat more protein. I do like dairy though. That one is a little harder for me to give up. I am going to try to eat a little less though.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2016, 02:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerM View Post
Hi, guys! Marie and Libby, your desserts sound wonderful. I splurged this weekend on Mexican food. I knew better but I got right back on track which is a good thing. I am down 13 pounds after 3 weeks so that is still motivating me to push through and keep going. I am trying to eat less meat during the week. I will see how that goes. I've never been a huge fan of meat anyway. I could easily live off of carbs alone but people have always pushed me to eat more protein. I do like dairy though. That one is a little harder for me to give up. I am going to try to eat a little less though.

13 pounds is great! I gave up meat 34 years ago and really don't miss it at all. Dairy was harder to give up for me, well not milk, but cheese and ice cream. Did you know that cheese is as addictive as opiates? No wonder it's so hard to give up! I still eat ice cream made from coconut milk or almond milk though and the same with yogurt. Even my teen daughter gave up dairy and her skin is so much better now Carbs aren't the devil (unless you're only eating cookies, cake, and processed simple carbs) and Americans eat way more than enough protein; unfortunately protein is the "in thing" right now and people have been led to believe they need tons of protein and no carbs. Great books on the subject are Proteniaholic, How Not to Die, and The Starch Solution. I'm not saying everyone should stop eating meat or dairy, that's a personal decision of course, but most people eat more than enough.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:26 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
13 pounds is great! I gave up meat 34 years ago and really don't miss it at all. Dairy was harder to give up for me, well not milk, but cheese and ice cream. Did you know that cheese is as addictive as opiates? No wonder it's so hard to give up! I still eat ice cream made from coconut milk or almond milk though and the same with yogurt. Even my teen daughter gave up dairy and her skin is so much better now Carbs aren't the devil (unless you're only eating cookies, cake, and processed simple carbs) and Americans eat way more than enough protein; unfortunately protein is the "in thing" right now and people have been led to believe they need tons of protein and no carbs. Great books on the subject are Proteniaholic, How Not to Die, and The Starch Solution. I'm not saying everyone should stop eating meat or dairy, that's a personal decision of course, but most people eat more than enough.
It was a true OMG WHAT?! moment for me when I watched the documentary forks over knives.

Thanks for the recipe!!
Old 03-21-2016, 03:21 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Marie, I am actually reading proteinaholic right now. It makes sense but it is hard to still wrap my mind around. Everyone says one way to eat is the best and there are so many opinions and studies out there. Sonetimes it is overwhelming. You know what I mean? I used to eat vegan for a while and my trainer took me off and told me I needed protein. I am trying to move more in that direction again. I have been trying to find all of my old recipes. I think cheese is the hardest for me to give up. I love cheese. I have done it before though. I like almond milk and coconut milk ice cream so no problem there.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Very true, there is so much info out there. The thing I loved about Proteinaholic was all documented studies and the explanations of how the studies work (as a former scientist I love data - LOL). I track my protein intake on MFP and I get more than enough every day through plants-based foods; it's very hard for someone in the US to not get enough.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:56 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to JMC1988

Quote:
Thanks for sharing Marie! And no problem about the Facebook recipes.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:37 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Marie, I notice that a lot of plant based recipes don't list serving size. I am bad about portion control so I need serving suzes. How do you handle that?

Old 03-23-2016, 04:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerM View Post
Marie, I notice that a lot of plant based recipes don't list serving size. I am bad about portion control so I need serving suzes. How do you handle that?

Hmmm, I use mostly Happy Herbivore recipes from their blog and cookbooks and they always have serving size and nutrition info... Where are you getting your recipes?