Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2019, 12:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD 12/23 Holiday dinner

With Xmas only a few days away, I'm planning my Xmas dinner.

Do you have any big meal planned? Are you cooking or going out somewhere? Do you have a recipe that is a tradition in your family?

Tell me about your holiday dinner.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm making a turkey with dressing. I'll make mashed potatoes and cauliflower/cheese mash for me and Jen, along with caesar salad and veggies. Cream corn for hubs (he's the only one who will eat it, he loves the stuff). I'm not serving any dessert b/c we'll have an assortment of cookies/bars to snack on that we made this wk. It's not the big meal I used to prepare, with lots of side dishes and extras. These days I don't feel like putting in so much time in the kitchen. I'd rather be hanging out with family, watch some movies and play some games.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
I'm making a turkey with dressing. I'll make mashed potatoes and cauliflower/cheese mash for me and Jen, along with caesar salad and veggies. Cream corn for hubs (he's the only one who will eat it, he loves the stuff). I'm not serving any dessert b/c we'll have an assortment of cookies/bars to snack on that we made this wk. It's not the big meal I used to prepare, with lots of side dishes and extras. These days I don't feel like putting in so much time in the kitchen. I'd rather be hanging out with family, watch some movies and play some games.
That sounds perfect!

This year is so different from the past. Usually I plan something fancy for Xmas Eve like crab legs or foie gras or very good steaks... but since we moved closer to my husband's dad, we get to see him. He chose a Mexican restaurant... I'm so bummed! There is nothing fancy there!

And since we will be driving a while on Xmas Eve, I wont even get to go grocery shopping for fancy stuff for Xmas day so I guess we won't do anything out of the ordinary. Oh well... there is always next year.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Nope, b/c we don't live anywhere near family and aren't going home for Christmas. I usually make a small Christmas dinner (i.e. ham, or turkey, mashed potatoes, rolls, etc) for my little family but this year my youngest (self-proclaimed "meat-atarian") asked for steaks and my oldest (the vegetarian) asked for baked potatoes. So steaks and baked potatoes it is! We've making a few types Christmas cookies together this week so we'll have something traditional at least!
Old 12-23-2019, 04:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
That sounds perfect!

This year is so different from the past. Usually I plan something fancy for Xmas Eve like crab legs or foie gras or very good steaks... but since we moved closer to my husband's dad, we get to see him. He chose a Mexican restaurant... I'm so bummed! There is nothing fancy there!

And since we will be driving a while on Xmas Eve, I wont even get to go grocery shopping for fancy stuff for Xmas day so I guess we won't do anything out of the ordinary. Oh well... there is always next year.
If you miss the fancy something something....
What about a special dinner sometime between Xmas and NYs? Or on NYs if you don't go out. Or not even a dinner but maybe just some special appies to indulge in?
Old 12-23-2019, 04:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsQueen82 View Post
Nope, b/c we don't live anywhere near family and aren't going home for Christmas. I usually make a small Christmas dinner (i.e. ham, or turkey, mashed potatoes, rolls, etc) for my little family but this year my youngest (self-proclaimed "meat-atarian") asked for steaks and my oldest (the vegetarian) asked for baked potatoes. So steaks and baked potatoes it is! We've making a few types Christmas cookies together this week so we'll have something traditional at least!
That should be included in a scrap page about non-traditional Xmas dinners
Old 12-23-2019, 04:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did round two of Christmas cookies today because I did the other round so early that we ate them all. LOL We are going to my SIL's. She usually has beef tenderloin and some type of pasta (lasagna or pastitsio). I'm bringing beans, salad, cheesecake, and probably lots of cookies from today's baking.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We're having a "traditional Jewish Christmas": dinner at a Chinese restaurant after we go to the movies. Hanukkah isn't a "special dinner" kind of holiday for most people, so for the first night the kids had leftover pizza and DH and I got Cava and Chipotle take out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2019, 07:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We always have our family Christmas the Saturday right before Christmas with my parents, sisters and their families, and various uncles and cousins. We always have sauerbraten, latkes, and German red cabbage.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:40 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

We had our Christmas Eve's dinner together yesterday at home. Roast chicken from Sam's club, some salad and chocolate ganache cake for dessert.
All bought, though, I only cooked the rice.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

For Christmas, we always have ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, rolls, and a cookie buffet.

Tomorrow we are also having praise salad (miracle whip + Jello+ fruit), shrimp salad, & broccoli-cheese casserole (Cheez Whiz + cream of ___ soup + rice + water + onion + butter + evaporated milk + broccoli.

Besides the cookie buffet, my mom is also making a mint chocolate cheesecake with an Oreo crust + a chocolate ganache.
Old 12-25-2019, 01:16 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I am hosting family Christmas this year. We usually have a big meal with ham and lots of sides, but since I hosted Thanksgiving as well, my mom suggested we do something a little lighter with less cooking/prep, so we are essentially doing a big charcuterie board plus soup (using paper products). Everybody is bringing something to contribute - should be delicious and easy!
Old 12-26-2019, 12:33 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We have pasta on Christmas Eve--always the same recipe, but the ingredients we include vary based on what's available wherever we live.

Christmas morning, we typically have a breakfast casserole or two that I can prep the night before & pop in the oven in the morning, but the most important ingredients for these are unavailable or super expensive in our current location, so we just had Pillsbury cinnamon rolls this year.

Christmas day dinner just depends on where we are & who we're with. This year, we went to someone's house for prime rib and I didn't even take a dish!
Old 12-26-2019, 09:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
If you miss the fancy something something....
What about a special dinner sometime between Xmas and NYs? Or on NYs if you don't go out. Or not even a dinner but maybe just some special appies to indulge in?
That’s exactly what we did. I told my husband on Christmas Eve that I was going out shopping in the morning before our drive. I bought a few fancier things for the next day. It was worth the scrambling out the door! Lol