Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Don't hate me because I'm a scrapper!!

ok, seriously. one week into kindergarten and I've had my first ANNOYING PARENT moment!

last night was my DD's open house...the parents got to go and meet the teacher and she reviewed rules/policies/etc, and also shared a few project assignments with us. I know that the teacher is a scrapbooker (paper) as it says so on her blog, but i was soooo excited that one of the project assignments was to do a BOOK OF ME for our child! she said it could be made out of anything - paper bags, construction paper, etc and only needed 3-5 pages. Just let the kids draw pictures, cut pics from magazines, or use photos to let them share a bit about themselves. She likes to keep them in a library at the classroom to encourage all the kids to read by looking at all the BOOK OF ME albums. how cool is that!!?

Me (to teacher): "do we send in the completed album, or just an empty album and the kids fill it in here?"
Teacher: "they finish it up at home, and I was hoping you guys could bring them in by the 17th"
mom next to me: "yeah, right". she whispers to me..."can you believe that??".
Me: "it won't be a problem, i'm a scrapbooker. we do crafty stuff like that all the time anyway".
mom next to me: "well not me, I don't have time for that stuff".

10 minutes later, I'm taking pictures of the room, getting a shot of the table where her name is taped down...

the same mom says to me: "What, are you going to scrap this to??"
Me: "Yep"

I mean seriously, why the need to be so bitter?? So of course I had to rub it in and add "and I've already completed three pages from her first week, too".

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:56 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Whatever. Most people have hobbies. She probably sews, or reads, or exercises 1.5 hours a day, or bakes, or . . . . so many other things. I've had people be weird about the fact that I DIGI scrap. I don't get it.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

Heh. My main professor this year (I have him for 2/3 classes 4x week) I also had last semester and we've had conversations and he knows what I do, etc. Yesterday he told me that "people have to be a little crazy to want to SCRAPBOOK" LOL

What cracks me up is he's teaching InDesign to me this semester, which is basically scrapbooking with boring information instead of your memories.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL Traci!! a designer calling an art form that uses design tools CRAZY??

The funny part is, this teacher also says on her blog:

"I scrapbook! but I'm a bit of a snob...I only use Creative Memories!!"

LOL. So I'm sure SHE wouldn't "get" the fact that I digi-scrap, either, LOL!

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh I hate people like that!!!

That mom might calm down after she sees some of your pictures. When my DS1 was in kindy, I was(of course) there to take pics of events and everything. Some parents thought I was crazy but after I shared my pics of the kids from class, event or a sports team, they were happy that SOMEONE was taking pics.

Good luck with the aggravation. Sheesh, some people. It is one thing to think it, but to actually make comments to you is just rude!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

That's a good point Robin, I was ALWAYS taking pics in K's preschool class and ended up setting up a website where the parents could go DL the full res photos of their own kids if they wanted em. They <3'd me after that LOL.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

She's just jealous!!

Everyone I know is jealous that my boys have so many memories documented. I work and volunteer, and have 4 boys with lots of sports/activities, etc. so no one dares act like I must have so much more time than they do to scrapbook. It's all about priorities and I just happen to believe that this hobby (and I used to do it for $$$ too), is entirely worth my precious spare time. When you have a loved one with Alzheimer's, you "get it" really fast.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I know! When I had my Scrap for other business, I'd get those snide comments all the time! Why does it matter to them that I like to artfully keep track of the moments for my life and my child's? Geez, I'm sure if I had the awesome memory they had, I wouldn't have to scrapbook! I was always amazed in talking with people about my business and the number of people who don't take any pictures of their kids like on their birthday or Christmas... or the number of people who didn't even own a camera!
Old 09-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Right there with ya! I'm *constantly* hearing sarcastic comments and seeing eye rolls from others about my picture taking. The bad part is that a lot of the comments come from members of my own family! Sigh...I don't know why it's so hard for others to understand. I've started a FB album of my LO's, and I recently had a mom comment, saying something to the effect of, "Well, I personally prefer pages with tons of photos, but yours are nice too." WTH?! Why ya gotta hate on me??

What really gets me though is that the same moms doing the eye rolling and making the comments are the very ones e-mailing me when they need a pic from an event because they were too lazy to take any of their own!
Old 09-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I just ... oh for goodness sake. Some people. And I lol'ed at the one who only uses Creative Memories. There's a big wide world of scrapping supplies out there. Why limit yourself?!

Old 09-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ok, I was the ONLY PERSON with my camera in the classroom when we had meet the teacher night, before school started.

WTH??

your kid is meeting their teacher for the first time, seeing their class for the first time, and that's not picture worthy??

My kids and hubby love it though, so luckily my family totally gets it. In fact, my hubby makes DVDs of photos once a year and sets them to popular music from the year. The kids absolutely LOVE watching them! they will say "look at me!! i was so little!" and stuff like that!

regarding Creative Memories - I was once a CM girl myself. I have MANY pages with triangular gingham papers, border strips, and oodles of stickers all over them. *CRINGE*!!

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 09-01-2010, 03:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My stepson's mom relies on me to take pictures at school and special events. *lol*

Not sure if she has a camera or not, but she makes sure that I'm taking photos when we are all at something together. Not that she later asks for them or does anything with them (I've given her prints in the past), but I guess it makes her feel better that someone is documenting her son's life. She loves getting pro photos done and has all of those hanging in her house, but I'm pretty sure all the printed pictures she has are in boxes in her garage.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becster View Post
I just ... oh for goodness sake. Some people. And I lol'ed at the one who only uses Creative Memories. There's a big wide world of scrapping supplies out there. Why limit yourself?!
I used to be a CM girl myself and for me it was just easier because I knew that the CM products were going to be safe for my pictures.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hate that "I don't have time for that" looking down their noses at you attitude! The all about me book sounds adorable though!

Old 09-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yep just jealous I'd say!

I don't take pics of Meet the Teacher nights only because I'm a little not ready for it all yet. But definitely first day of school, I'm there! (was there today for DS#2)

And CM stuff is fine and some people are just happy with the simplicity of it, which is fine. To each their own! She probably just put that note on there because she received scrapbooking stuff as a gift before. Oh and did you know that CM now has their own digital scrapbooking software? I have a friend that keeps inviting me to her things because she knows I digiscrap, but I'm just not going to buy another program when I have full up PSCS5 ya know! I try not to put down the program to her, because she really seems to be into it, but at the same time I know it has some limitations (won't open PSDs or TIFFs I believe) which wouldn't work in my world of template addiction!
Old 09-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 6th graders had to do mini books of me this year also. My poor Kurt came home with one covered with pink flowered wrapping paper! He said his table was the last called up to cover the book and that's all that was left. LOL We recovered it at home. I let them both pick through my chipboard letters, brads, etc., to fix up the books.

I wish I had known they were doing them though. I'm could have donated some nice paper to cover all their books.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm pretty sure I'll get the same reaction. I hope I won't be the only one with a camera at Meet the Teacher tonight!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Kat Stokes Send a message via Yahoo to Kat Stokes

That mom is just jealous.... I don't worry myself with people like that. If they can't understand that I want to document my child's life - oh well!

And a little off topic - do all of you have a "meet the teacher" night? Our kids find out who their teacher is THE DAY BEFORE SCHOOL STARTS at 5:00 p.m. and actually meet their teacher when they line up to go into class. We have a "back to school" night about 2 weeks into the year but the kids don't go to that. It's parents only. I would LOVE it if our kids could meet their teachers before school starts!!!

Proudly creating for:
Libby Pritchett

Old 09-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Some people are just going to have a bad attitude no matter what's going on. Or she's having a rotten day. I just wouldn't bring it up again. It's not up to you to 'fix' her!

The project sounds great. Have fun with your daughter!
Old 09-01-2010, 06:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

Yeah...sounds like maybe she woke up on the wrong side of the bed. My sister doesn't scrapbook but she always has a camera ready somewhere for things like this.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I always tell people I'm sure they make time for their interests, scrapping just happens to be one of mine. My SIL claims she just doesn't have the time to do something like scrap but if she took the time she spent visiting every single garage sale in a 30 mile radius on the weekends, she would have time to scrap. I don't have the time to drive around all weekend looking for nothing in particular beyond ' a bargain'.

That said, I did not take pictures at our meet the teacher day & never have, because it's just not something that occurs to me as something to document, more as something to be gotten out of the way. The boys are pretty casual about it as well.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Stokes View Post
That mom is just jealous...
I totally agree! I bet she was feeling defensive because she's sizing herself up with you and realizing that she just had a Mommy-Fail moment.

And what a precious idea about the AAM book! Sorry that Miss Pissy Pants had to ruin the day for you. LOL! At least you and your DD will have a good time with the assignment, right?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, I was one of 2 moms with a camera ... but nobody looked at me strangely.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

It is unfortunate that you had a mom be so unpleasant. I would try not to let it bother me, she was probably having a bad day, or stressed over something in her own life. Scrapbooking, paper of digi, has been a wonderful source of good feelings or should I say "making others feel good." My mother-in-law has Alzheimer's disease and, I'm sure like many of you, I did an album for her with pictures from all our family gatherings (going back 10 years). Her reaction was worth all the effort that went into making it. She loved it. I'm afraid I am the one in the family always with a camera, it doesn't bother me to be the only one. I know there will be opportunities to do something nice with the pictures.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Stokes View Post
That mom is just jealous.... I don't worry myself with people like that. If they can't understand that I want to document my child's life - oh well!

And a little off topic - do all of you have a "meet the teacher" night? Our kids find out who their teacher is THE DAY BEFORE SCHOOL STARTS at 5:00 p.m. and actually meet their teacher when they line up to go into class. We have a "back to school" night about 2 weeks into the year but the kids don't go to that. It's parents only. I would LOVE it if our kids could meet their teachers before school starts!!!
We have meet the teacher Thursday night before the Monday they start school. That is when they find out who they have as a teacher. So yeah...a couple more days than you but not much. I think it is so that parents can't try to move their kids around as much unless there is a HUGE need. I know that it is a huge undertaking to place the kids and make sure that the sex/race/income/handicap/learning issues whatever is all balanced. Then there is the parents who want such and such teacher....I would not want to be principal!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We found out last week who my son's teacher is and we have a "meet and greet" tomorrow (their first day is Tuesday). At their previous school, I think we found out a day or two before school started. And we are not able to request a certain teacher, just to submit a letter taking about our child's learning style.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

LOL! I love it! I will be the same way (as you) when my LOs are in school.

But that lady needs to check her attitude. "We don't have time for that stuff." What stuff? Homework?? She better get used to it!
Old 09-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

some people just don't get it!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I agree, the woman is jealous because she does not have time to cherish and create and enjoy with her child, must be kinda sad. I hope I have myself a dslr camera before my ds starts kindergarten because I will be the mom taking all kinds of photos and scrapping every bit of it!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

What a bitter old woman! And the sad thing is it's her kid that's gonna miss out.

How cool are you Traci? U/L the pics for other parents! Whata grand idea!

I'm right there with you Becki... girls my age in this tiny town scoff at my scrapbooking. That's funny, because they're out taking millions of drunk crappy photos for their facebook every weekend - excuse me if I choose to document important events on pretty pages.

I'm so glad I have you all.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:34 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

She's going to be the mom asking YOU for a CD of images at the end of the year. LOL!!!!

You are going to have parents actually GO IN TO THE SCHOOL OFFICE and request to be with you next year since you take so many photos!!! I swear....it happens!

Also, if your school has a yearbook team, get in with them. I'm in charge of the yearbook at my kids elementary school and it's soooo fun! Lots of work but totally worth it!!!

Keep taking photos!!!!! I love it!
Old 09-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebony View Post

I'm right there with you Becki... girls my age in this tiny town scoff at my scrapbooking. That's funny, because they're out taking millions of drunk crappy photos for their facebook every weekend - excuse me if I choose to document important events on pretty pages.
Well said, Ebs! Good for you!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Oh, I LOVE the AAM mini-book idea! Definitely pencil that in the for the Christmas holidays as my girlie loves making stuff. She's thoroughly enjoying working on her 'What I did this summer album' at the moment. Hopefully we'll have it finished up by December, lol!

I kinda get parent's being a bit put off by some of the time consuming projects that they get given by school. I've heard of some that are crazy complicated but that really doesn't sound that big a deal - you can make it take however long you need really. And how cool would be it be to get them to make one every year or couple of years while they're growing up?!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

thanks everyone! i was just really shocked - i'd never had someone actually seem irritated that I was taking pics and/or scrapbooking them, LOL!

I think you guys are right - I bet it was one of those "aw, DANG! I'm not doing that for my kids" kind of guilt reactions. I'll give her another chance, LOL

Oh, and Kjersti - I had a girlfriend here in town suggest getting on the yearbook committee, too! Maybe I will...I'm just afraid of the time commitment, but we'll see.

thanks again girls! Like Ebs said, I'm so glad I have you girls!

beckie_scraps on IG!