Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2023, 12:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default To Purge or Not to Purge

The EHD that I use (I also use online backup) is getting full. I have SO many kits that I haven't touched in years. I am toying with the idea of getting rid of older kits, but something about that statement makes my stomach to a little flip flop.

Do you keep all of your kits, or do you 'let them go' after a set amount of time has gone by?

I'm curious.
Old 07-01-2023, 12:28 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I'm on the keep them way of doing things. They exist on an EHD where I can get to them if I need them (and yes, I have used old kits in the last couple of years).

I did delete free stuff years ago and sadly, just last year I wanted to make a companion page to one I had done 14 years ago. I no longer had one of the kits I had used and the layered file was lost in a hard drive crash. I had a hard time finding a matching paper for the background that had a texture similar to the original one. I can see the differences but I'm sure a non-scrapper wouldn't notice. But I know....

And, in the last year I have made it my goal to use the kits/templates that I have never used instead of using my favorites over and over. It's actually been fun!
Old 07-01-2023, 01:03 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I have an alternative solution: buy another, larger-capacity EHD, if possible. Then you can either move forward by only putting new kits on the new EHD and maybe your faves from the current EHD (knowing the old stuff is on the old EHD as well as the cloud). Or you transfer everything to the new EHD.

I have 3 EHDs at all times. If one gets more than half full or starts making funky sounds, then I replace it. And every couple EHDs, I don't back up everything: I back up only my faves and any future purchase.
Old 07-01-2023, 02:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I know I'm a rarity. There are a few others here that are like me....but I am pro-purge.

Just like anything else in my life, I've spent money on ...if it is no longer of use, I purge. Most often I give away or try to sell things, but with digi-products I cannot do that. But rather than continuing to buy bigger hard drives I purge.

I'm not going to buy a bigger house when it fills up with things I don't want to get rid of, so I take that same approach with digi-supplies.

If I haven't used it a year or longer and it no longer appeals to my personal scrapping style, I delete.
There are some older products that are still my style, and/or super special...like Amber Shaw's products that I am keeping but other than that I delete.

Old 07-01-2023, 04:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've only been digital scrapping for 3 years so I haven't filled up my original EHD...yet, lol! I would probably have a hard time getting rid of any kit so I would probably put them on a separate EHD just in case I ever wanted to look at them again.

Old 07-01-2023, 06:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have close 1500 kits and countless more templates. Now about 100 or so of those are my own kits or collabs I did but the rest...purchases or creative team freebies. I have them organized. My EHD is 5 TB and it is half full. I keep my kits on it and my photos etc. I also have online back up. I did purge a while ago but only kits that were super old, out of style (mine and just in general). For the most part, I keep everything! I can't get rid of things.

My kindle library is similar with over 150 books...EEK! I am a digital hoarder.
Old 07-01-2023, 07:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have a problem with purging. If it's something that looks really out of date or is no longer my style, I delete it.

Old 07-01-2023, 09:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Most things I let go after about 5 years, with the exception of holiday kits and templates, unless the templates are very recognizable.

After 17 years of scrapping I know what I’ll use, so I know I won’t go back to those older kits.

Last edited by nesser1981; 07-02-2023 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-02-2023, 04:53 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I feel so much lighter when I delete stuff! Old things I don't love keep me from seeing the things I do love. I think I was heavily influenced by Marie Kondo and her "be surrounded by things that bring you joy philosophy." I did a huge purge a couple of years ago, and I have never regretted it.
Old 07-02-2023, 09:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My hard drive (and cloud storage) is almost full. I'm all for purging.
Old 07-02-2023, 10:28 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Purge.
As someone who has lost their whole stash of stuff more than once, you won't miss 80% of it. There are definitely older products that I still wish that I had, but most of it when I look back on it years later to buy again, I find newer things I like better.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 07-02-2023, 10:38 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
I'm on the keep them way of doing things. They exist on an EHD where I can get to them if I need them (and yes, I have used old kits in the last couple of years).

I did delete free stuff years ago and sadly, just last year I wanted to make a companion page to one I had done 14 years ago. I no longer had one of the kits I had used and the layered file was lost in a hard drive crash. I had a hard time finding a matching paper for the background that had a texture similar to the original one. I can see the differences but I'm sure a non-scrapper wouldn't notice. But I know....

And, in the last year I have made it my goal to use the kits/templates that I have never used instead of using my favorites over and over. It's actually been fun!
I'm glad you were able to find something similar to create the companion page ... It's a great idea to dig deep and use kits and templates that haven't been touched for a long time - I am going to make it a point to try to do that as well! Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-02-2023, 10:39 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree City View Post
I have an alternative solution: buy another, larger-capacity EHD, if possible. Then you can either move forward by only putting new kits on the new EHD and maybe your faves from the current EHD (knowing the old stuff is on the old EHD as well as the cloud). Or you transfer everything to the new EHD.

I have 3 EHDs at all times. If one gets more than half full or starts making funky sounds, then I replace it. And every couple EHDs, I don't back up everything: I back up only my faves and any future purchase.
My first thought was to just buy another EHD, which I probably still will ... I have quite a few already, but have found I trust the SSD ones more than the older ones I have.

Sara, do you have a brand name that you trust more than others?
Old 07-02-2023, 10:43 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
I know I'm a rarity. There are a few others here that are like me....but I am pro-purge.

Just like anything else in my life, I've spent money on ...if it is no longer of use, I purge. Most often I give away or try to sell things, but with digi-products I cannot do that. But rather than continuing to buy bigger hard drives I purge.

I'm not going to buy a bigger house when it fills up with things I don't want to get rid of, so I take that same approach with digi-supplies.

If I haven't used it a year or longer and it no longer appeals to my personal scrapping style, I delete.
There are some older products that are still my style, and/or super special...like Amber Shaw's products that I am keeping but other than that I delete.
Kiana, I am also a pro-purge when it comes to 'stuff' - but haven't thought about digi-stuff too much until now.

I find purging things to be rewarding ... We have a really resale shop in a town near us and I have an account with them, so often take boxes and boxes of things there. They get 40% of the sale, so I'm at least getting a little $ out of the items and it's a lot easier than having a garage sale!

(Along with the purging, I also really enjoy organizing and reorganizing!
Old 07-02-2023, 10:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidia G View Post
I've only been digital scrapping for 3 years so I haven't filled up my original EHD...yet, lol! I would probably have a hard time getting rid of any kit so I would probably put them on a separate EHD just in case I ever wanted to look at them again.
I had no idea you've only been scrapping for 3 years Lidia!! It's definitely 'habit-forming'!!
Old 07-02-2023, 10:45 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
I have close 1500 kits and countless more templates. Now about 100 or so of those are my own kits or collabs I did but the rest...purchases or creative team freebies. I have them organized. My EHD is 5 TB and it is half full. I keep my kits on it and my photos etc. I also have online back up. I did purge a while ago but only kits that were super old, out of style (mine and just in general). For the most part, I keep everything! I can't get rid of things.

My kindle library is similar with over 150 books...EEK! I am a digital hoarder.
Wow, to have a 5T EHD half full ... you DO have lots of goodies!! I think I will purge older kits today and keep what appeals to me, even though I probably won't use them ever again!

I have a lot of digi-books as well, but not 150! LOL!
Old 07-02-2023, 10:46 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcorey View Post
I don't have a problem with purging. If it's something that looks really out of date or is no longer my style, I delete it.
That's a great habit to get into!!
Old 07-02-2023, 10:47 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
Most things I let go after about 5 years, with the exception of holiday kits and templates, unless the templates are very recognizable.

After 17 years of scrapping I know what I?ll use, so I know I won?t go back to those older kits.
I've been scrapping for 17 years as well ... it's been fun to be part of the ever changing industry and man, it's sure changed A LOT!!
Old 07-02-2023, 10:48 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I feel so much lighter when I delete stuff! Old things I don't love keep me from seeing the things I do love. I think I was heavily influenced by Marie Kondo and her "be surrounded by things that bring you joy philosophy." I did a huge purge a couple of years ago, and I have never regretted it.
I am a purger of things as well! I don't like clutter and always feel good once I've gotten rid of things I no longer need or want! I haven't ever watched Marie Kondo, and will have to check her videos out!
Old 07-02-2023, 03:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I keep them all
Old 07-02-2023, 07:39 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
My first thought was to just buy another EHD, which I probably still will ... I have quite a few already, but have found I trust the SSD ones more than the older ones I have.

Sara, do you have a brand name that you trust more than others?
I like Western Digital, but I've never really had a problem with any brand I've tried. For me , a PC user, WD seem a little faster than Seagate, though I recommend those, too. A scrapper friend of mine swears by Lacie, but I've never used them so I can't give my personal opinion.

As for purging itself, I don't think I really answered that, but I purge too, sometimes. Old freebies from 12 years ago don't hold up to the test of time rofl. But I don't go nuts trying to dig through my stash to delete things. If I'm browsing my stash and I see something I know I'll never use, then I delete it. During quarantine, I did take some time to really purge, but I don't think I'll do that again anytime soon. (It's not worth my time--but if the size of my Kits folder affected my ability to find what I needed, then I would purge more often/more ruthlessly since I keep all kits in one big Kits folder--no Store or Designer subfolders. And since I tag Previews and keep a copy of each preview in a separate Previews folder, it's easy to find a kit type I need. Well, plus I can check out my Excel spreadsheet with kit info like name, designer(s), themes, colors, store, etc, but I digress!)
Old 07-02-2023, 09:41 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I purge, especially those super old kits and a designer that had retired for so long (except for those I really love!) and kits that had grown out of my style.
Old 07-03-2023, 03:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I purge, and I also am more selective now on what I buy and download, so that it doesn't get too bad. Although I can't resist a nice sale lol

Old 07-03-2023, 08:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had an EHD and a computer crash in 2020, so I had to sorta start over, redownloading many of my kits, templates etc.

However, I do go through my kits and downsize periodically. Especially freebies. Those are easier to let go since they weren't purchased. Sometimes our styles change, or even a designer's style changes. I think it's ok to change with them. Sometimes I will get a kit for pretty much 1 specific theme or group of photos. Once I've scrapped them, I don't see keeping that kit any longer. That said, I do have some kits that are OLD! But since they are a theme or something that I tend to use a lot more than just 1 time, I keep them!

Do what feels right to you. Take it as an individual kit basis, don't try to throw everything into 1 category. You may come across a kit and think it isn't quite your style anymore. It is ok to get rid of it, so that you can maybe find a new kit that is that similiar theme, but fits you better! Good luck!