Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2023, 11:34 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Hallmark Christmas Ornaments

Do you buy/collect Hallmark ornaments?
We used to buy them every year for each family member, but they've really gotten pricey! So now I just buy a random one here & there.
BUT...this year... OH my! They've outdone themselves, and there are so many I want. My pesky budget still says I need to limit myself. How to choose? lol
Old 10-18-2023, 01:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My mom and I used to go our the day after Christmas and buy them all up. I love Hallmark ornaments. Actually I love ALL ornaments. I am going to go check out this year's collection
Old 10-18-2023, 01:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love ornaments, too! I always get an ornament as a souvenir when we travel. Have fun perusing!
Old 10-18-2023, 01:54 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Tammy, yes! We love Hallmark ornaments! I have collected a few series in the past... like the rocking horses and the Noelville gingerbread town that you insert a christmas light into (I love those). Right now I'm collecting the Snowtop Lodge series (ceramic snowmen with winter scenes painted on the base of them) and the Heirloom Angels. I also like to get one or two that have some significance in our lives... like this year I will be buying Josh Allen!

Old 10-18-2023, 02:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We buy our three kids ornaments every year. Sometimes they are Hallmark, sometimes just from WalMart, but most are from the Disney Store. The last few years the kids picked out their own. Hallmark ornaments have gotten quite pricey, though.
Old 10-18-2023, 03:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No, I don't. My tree is themed, for the most part, so I keep my ornaments within that color scheme-red, white & green-and I buy most of my ornaments at Hobby Lobby. I do include my kid's ornaments that he's made over the years, and I personalize it with family photos in framed ornaments, so it is sentimental, just in a way that makes sense to my type A personality ;0)

Old 10-18-2023, 04:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
Tammy, yes! We love Hallmark ornaments! I have collected a few series in the past... like the rocking horses and the Noelville gingerbread town that you insert a christmas light into (I love those). Right now I'm collecting the Snowtop Lodge series (ceramic snowmen with winter scenes painted on the base of them) and the Heirloom Angels. I also like to get one or two that have some significance in our lives... like this year I will be buying Josh Allen!
I've collected the Star Trek series since they started. Last year we bought the Enterprise tree topper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BluEyedBabi View Post
We buy our three kids ornaments every year. Sometimes they are Hallmark, sometimes just from WalMart, but most are from the Disney Store. The last few years the kids picked out their own. Hallmark ornaments have gotten quite pricey, though.
We do that, too. Our kids are grown now, but they all have enough ornaments to decorate a small tree. lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcorey View Post
No, I don't. My tree is themed, for the most part, so I keep my ornaments within that color scheme-red, white & green-and I buy most of my ornaments at Hobby Lobby. I do include my kid's ornaments that he's made over the years, and I personalize it with family photos in framed ornaments, so it is sentimental, just in a way that makes sense to my type A personality ;0)
Do you change the theme each year, or is it the same? I love the framed photo ornaments! I have a bunch to catch up through the years.
Old 10-18-2023, 04:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have never collected the Hallmark ornaments, but we do purchase one on every trip we take. Each of my girls has their own tree that they put up in their room (or dorm room) and they have started collecting their own ornaments, but we get them from wherever!

We do decorate our tree with a different theme each year though (we have that many ornaments). Some of our themes are: Christian/angels, travel, Disney, country/woodsy, Winter/snow etc. We keep track on a paper on the inside of one of the boxes with the themes and try to cycle through them. We seem to use Disney and travel a lot though (since those are ones that fit with our current life). Not sure what this years theme will be. Maybe I should put it up for a vote and let SSD decide!
Old 10-19-2023, 10:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a ton of Hallmark ornaments. I was thinking the same thing about the prices when I was making my wish list. We have lots of the mini Snoopy winter sports series, the recent mini birds series, and lots of the Grinch/Rudolph/Heat and Cold Miser/ ornaments along with lots of others from the mini line.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Do you change the theme each year, or is it the same? I love the framed photo ornaments! I have a bunch to catch up through the years.
No, I have my whole house done in that theme/colors, so it stays pretty much the same. I expand on it by adding new ornaments or change certain things like the ribbon, and the topper, but the general theme stays the same. There are some other color schemes I'd like to do, but it would cost an arm and a leg to change it all up!

Old 10-19-2023, 12:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
We have never collected the Hallmark ornaments, but we do purchase one on every trip we take. Each of my girls has their own tree that they put up in their room (or dorm room) and they have started collecting their own ornaments, but we get them from wherever!

We do decorate our tree with a different theme each year though (we have that many ornaments). Some of our themes are: Christian/angels, travel, Disney, country/woodsy, Winter/snow etc. We keep track on a paper on the inside of one of the boxes with the themes and try to cycle through them. We seem to use Disney and travel a lot though (since those are ones that fit with our current life). Not sure what this years theme will be. Maybe I should put it up for a vote and let SSD decide!
That sounds so fun! We've been putting 2 trees up, but have leftover ornaments. Our 2nd tree is the Disney tree.
Oooh, you know my vote would always be Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienejen View Post
I have a ton of Hallmark ornaments. I was thinking the same thing about the prices when I was making my wish list. We have lots of the mini Snoopy winter sports series, the recent mini birds series, and lots of the Grinch/Rudolph/Heat and Cold Miser/ ornaments along with lots of others from the mini line.
The mini ornaments are SO cute! Maybe I need to get a small tree and start buying mini ornaments? lol! I don't think hubby would be on board with that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcorey View Post
No, I have my whole house done in that theme/colors, so it stays pretty much the same. I expand on it by adding new ornaments or change certain things like the ribbon, and the topper, but the general theme stays the same. There are some other color schemes I'd like to do, but it would cost an arm and a leg to change it all up!
That sounds beautiful and classic!
Old 10-19-2023, 04:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm with Corey- in that my trees are themed (yes I said treeS as in plural!!!)

CHRISTMAS is MY Favorite!! I'd have trees in every room if my family wouldn't boycott!

The only time I buy ornaments is if they fit my themes- Our main tree theme is snowflakes, glittery & blues/pinks/purples with LOTS of shiny pretty things! My office tree is a white tinsel tree with rainbow them and it's a pencil thin tall tree- so I don't have much room for anymore ornaments- occasionally I'll be on the look out for a particular color- usually yellow/orange as not a lot of ornaments are that color- but it's mostly done with what I've collected in the past. Our front porch tree is very simple- no ornaments- but I've thought about doing a different theme out there- maybe rustic/wood type.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We only have sentimental ornaments on our family tree. I'd like to get a smaller (potentially year-round) tree for my office that could be a theme of some sort but I haven't decided which kind yet. My oldest keeps a couple of small tabletop trees up year-round already.

The kids get a new ornament each year that relates to something they did or something that happened of importance in their life that year, and then when we travel + take our yearly trip to Bronner's, we'll get ornaments.

The idea is that once the kids have their own place to live full-time that they will take all their ornaments with them for their trees.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:53 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
I'm with Corey- in that my trees are themed (yes I said treeS as in plural!!!)

CHRISTMAS is MY Favorite!! I'd have trees in every room if my family wouldn't boycott!

The only time I buy ornaments is if they fit my themes- Our main tree theme is snowflakes, glittery & blues/pinks/purples with LOTS of shiny pretty things! My office tree is a white tinsel tree with rainbow them and it's a pencil thin tall tree- so I don't have much room for anymore ornaments- occasionally I'll be on the look out for a particular color- usually yellow/orange as not a lot of ornaments are that color- but it's mostly done with what I've collected in the past. Our front porch tree is very simple- no ornaments- but I've thought about doing a different theme out there- maybe rustic/wood type.
I would love to have trees in every room! The max we've had is 3, but I think it would be so fun to have more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
We only have sentimental ornaments on our family tree. I'd like to get a smaller (potentially year-round) tree for my office that could be a theme of some sort but I haven't decided which kind yet. My oldest keeps a couple of small tabletop trees up year-round already.

The kids get a new ornament each year that relates to something they did or something that happened of importance in their life that year, and then when we travel + take our yearly trip to Bronner's, we'll get ornaments.

The idea is that once the kids have their own place to live full-time that they will take all their ornaments with them for their trees.
That's our plan, too. Then I get to buy LOTS more to fill our trees
Old 10-20-2023, 11:59 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My mom used to buy them for us as stocking stuffers where we would get an entire series of them over the years. I never buy them. They are expensive and I just put bulbs on the tree.
Old 10-20-2023, 03:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
My mom used to buy them for us as stocking stuffers where we would get an entire series of them over the years. I never buy them. They are expensive and I just put bulbs on the tree.
They really are pricey. I could (if my budget allowed ) spend hundreds every year. But, I have to narrow it down to 1 or 2 favorites.
Old 10-21-2023, 08:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My MIL collects them...years ago she collected a Santa and Mrs. Claus ornament set of him getting ready to fly out. She gifted those to us.
She recently has collected bird ornaments
Old 10-21-2023, 10:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love Hallmark ornaments, but you're right, they are getting so expensive.

When DH & I were first dating, Hallmark Ornaments were about all you could find on base in Japan, so I have a lot from then, and when our daughter was born, we started her on the Messenger Fairy series. She'll be getting her 19th this year. https://www.hallmark.com/ornaments/k...99QGO2789.html

When the first DS was born, I wanted to start him on a series too, and I thought it was Santa's, but it turned out to be nutcrackers, so he just gets a Santa ornament every year, sometimes from Hallmark, sometimes somewhere else. Second DS gets Snowmen, again sometimes Hallmark, sometimes other places.

And in 2020 I started a "Disney" Tree and they have the best Disney ornaments! I have to stop myself this year though, since we went to Disney in February, I got several from the parks, so this year I've gotten an Oliver & Doger ornament and planning to get Robin Hood & Maid Marian.

I buy entirely too many ornaments! LOL!
Old 10-21-2023, 10:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Next time you go to Bronners, you should let me know, we're only about 2 hrs from Frankenmuth, maybe less. You probably drive close to our house from Indiana, do you take 12 to 23?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post

Old 10-22-2023, 01:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
My MIL collects them...years ago she collected a Santa and Mrs. Claus ornament set of him getting ready to fly out. She gifted those to us.
She recently has collected bird ornaments
That's sweet that she gifted them to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
I love Hallmark ornaments, but you're right, they are getting so expensive.

When DH & I were first dating, Hallmark Ornaments were about all you could find on base in Japan, so I have a lot from then, and when our daughter was born, we started her on the Messenger Fairy series. She'll be getting her 19th this year. https://www.hallmark.com/ornaments/k...99QGO2789.html

When the first DS was born, I wanted to start him on a series too, and I thought it was Santa's, but it turned out to be nutcrackers, so he just gets a Santa ornament every year, sometimes from Hallmark, sometimes somewhere else. Second DS gets Snowmen, again sometimes Hallmark, sometimes other places.

And in 2020 I started a "Disney" Tree and they have the best Disney ornaments! I have to stop myself this year though, since we went to Disney in February, I got several from the parks, so this year I've gotten an Oliver & Doger ornament and planning to get Robin Hood & Maid Marian.

I buy entirely too many ornaments! LOL!
Our ornaments are kind of like a scrapbook of what happened each year. I love them memories they bring when we're pulling them out and putting them on the tree.

Disney ornaments are some of my favorite! When we lived near Disneyland, the kids would pick an ornament each year. I still get a "couples" Disney ornament each year for hubby and me.
Old 10-23-2023, 08:52 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

While I love the Hallmark ornaments, I rarely buy them anymore. They are just sooo pricey. Christmas is my fave and I would love to do lots trees. The last two years I did our main tree with a farmhouse theme. We also usually have a small tree that is Disney themed. I have enough Disney ornaments for a couple of trees. And we collect ornaments from most of our travels.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 10-23-2023, 10:34 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynn View Post
While I love the Hallmark ornaments, I rarely buy them anymore. They are just sooo pricey. Christmas is my fave and I would love to do lots trees. The last two years I did our main tree with a farmhouse theme. We also usually have a small tree that is Disney themed. I have enough Disney ornaments for a couple of trees. And we collect ornaments from most of our travels.
I was looking at Disney ornaments yesterday, and they have gone up, too! Yikes! I'm going to have to be super selective this year.
Old 11-07-2023, 12:58 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I am completely obsessed with Christmas ornaments! It started years ago when my son loved Cars and we bought a Lightning McQueen and then I started picking up ornaments that reflected their interests and fave characters over the years. And now that they're older, I thought my crazed ornament shopping sprees would end but I bought more last year than ever before!!! It was partly because I discovered food miniatures on Etsy and bought a bunch of tiny versions of our favourite foods!! We also always pick up an ornament when we go on vacation and if I can't find a good one, I'll often use a keychain as an ornament. Plus, I always get a photo cube from Shutterfly of our family photos that year.

For Hallmark, I've got tons of them from Star Wars to Harry Potter to Elf to Barbie to Disney princesses! But the only ones I truly collect would be the Family Game Night ones - otherwise I just get one to reflect the memory and that's it. But I have so many ornaments that I needed to get a second tree for our family room last year and I loved it!

Just to give you an idea of the extent of my obsession, here is the first of two pages I'm working on about the ornaments I acquired JUST IN 2022!!!

Old 11-07-2023, 11:29 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love all the themed ornaments - but it's not me and my style. I get one hallmark ornament for my son each year, something that sums up the year for him... this year as he is 16 and got his license - he will be getting the new driver ornament.

I do get a yearly lenox ornament that is our family ornament... usually it is personalized and has the year one it. I started when we were married and we are at 19 years... oh man, is it expensive. Why did I do this? Now I feel like I can't stop... lol.
Old 11-07-2023, 11:30 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

So cool! I love, love these! and...99!! (one of my most favorite sitcoms ever).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniW View Post
I am completely obsessed with Christmas ornaments! It started years ago when my son loved Cars and we bought a Lightning McQueen and then I started picking up ornaments that reflected their interests and fave characters over the years. And now that they're older, I thought my crazed ornament shopping sprees would end but I bought more last year than ever before!!! It was partly because I discovered food miniatures on Etsy and bought a bunch of tiny versions of our favourite foods!! We also always pick up an ornament when we go on vacation and if I can't find a good one, I'll often use a keychain as an ornament. Plus, I always get a photo cube from Shutterfly of our family photos that year.

For Hallmark, I've got tons of them from Star Wars to Harry Potter to Elf to Barbie to Disney princesses! But the only ones I truly collect would be the Family Game Night ones - otherwise I just get one to reflect the memory and that's it. But I have so many ornaments that I needed to get a second tree for our family room last year and I loved it!

Just to give you an idea of the extent of my obsession, here is the first of two pages I'm working on about the ornaments I acquired JUST IN 2022!!!

Old 11-07-2023, 12:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniW View Post

Wow! What an awesome layout! I'm going to scraplift this idea for this year. I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I love all the themed ornaments - but it's not me and my style. I get one hallmark ornament for my son each year, something that sums up the year for him... this year as he is 16 and got his license - he will be getting the new driver ornament.

I do get a yearly lenox ornament that is our family ornament... usually it is personalized and has the year one it. I started when we were married and we are at 19 years... oh man, is it expensive. Why did I do this? Now I feel like I can't stop... lol.
LOL! Once you start, you have to keep going