Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 11-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well said, Robin! I agree that the ones who most need to read this probably won't, but hopefully there are some people who have been unthinkingly downloading the files who will now know better and stop.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Very much agreed!
Old 11-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Thank you Robin, I agree with everything you said.
And I know ppl make mistakes, when they are not fully educated with the full facts, but also believe once you do know them you can try put it right.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki81 View Post
Thank you Robin, I agree with everything you said.
And I know ppl make mistakes, when they are not fully educated with the full facts, but also believe once you do know them you can try put it right.
I agree too...

Thanks so much Robin
Old 11-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Thank you Robin, i totally understand everything you are saying. Unfortunatly, making mistakes is something humans do best, but knowing the full facts can hopefully get ppl to change their ways and put things right again.

Proudly creating for Krystal Hartley & Edeline Designs

Old 12-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm
Default Sugar Baby with Piracy Questions/Comments

Ok, so I've joined a few sites (am I allowed to mention which ones?) <shrugs shoulders> Guess it doesn't really matter. anyway.

EVERY place I look there are freebies offered. If it's a freebie, is it considered piracy?????? There are also sites that offer free downloads that do not recognize the designer. I cannot remember the actual site but have gone there a few times via a Google search of "free digital scrapbooking".

THAT being said.... I've also seen "kits" made by people who say "I made this new kit" and when doing a search on the internet, I'll find the exact same backgrounds (images) they say they made and yet, they are just there. Taken from the internet to use in a kit. IF you get images from the internet and use it in a kit-how is that any more yours than if I just use it from the internet but not the entire kit? (I ask bc I've been questioned about the use of this such bg without using the whole kit).

As an artist (writer), I completely understand the issue with piracy but if it's offered for free, it seems there is a bit of a gray area that should be addressed. I would not want someone to plagairize my material but at the same time, I also wouldn't put it out there as "free" either. I guess this is where I'm confused!

On another note... I OFTEN, do not use an entire kit (probably why my stuff doesn't have the same solid elemental feel as the ones I've seen here) but a mix of stuff from various sources. I've not been able (thus far) to keep track, but EVERY single piece is either from a free download or something I've put together myself (grabbed off Google images-no copyrights listed) or made by myself. In instances where I use other sources, I will happily give credit to "someone" but often (almost always?) I just blanket it with.... I do not know where I got this or that, but I did not make it. It was from a free download. I commend all of you who are able to keep track of the different pieces of kits you've used!!!! HOW DO YOU DO IT!!!??!!?!?!?

and finally..... what is the difference between "pirating" these works and those who use Microsoft Office, PSP, PSE and allow their friends/family to use the same cd?

I'm done... I'll be posting a "hello, I'm new here" thread in a few mins.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Top Chef ... a lot of your questions can be answered at this blog: http://jenjen.typepad.com/stoppiracy/
Old 03-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a question regarding this issue which has been bugging me for some time.

If I have a kit that I've bought legally, but I have never used it myself for whatever reason (it didn't meet my expectations, it doesn't suit my style anymore, etc.), and I have a friend who might be interested in starting digi-scrapping, can I give her such a kit as a gift? That is, for her exclusive use, she wouldn't be sharing it with anybody, and I would delete the files from my drive, thus giving up the right to use them.

It would seem to me that it's OK - the kit has been paid for and it will be only used by one person, only the purchaser and the user won't be the same person. If you buy a CD/DVD/whatever you don't like, you can give to others, after all.

But still I thought I'd better ask what you think about this.

Last edited by adrianka; 03-25-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:08 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Trixie Scraps Send a message via Skype™ to Trixie Scraps

Wouldn't it be wonderful if EVERY digistore out there paraphrased what you said here and also posted it in their forums? And if DSA/DST did as well?

I think there are a lot of people who just don't care that its morally wrong and will continue to do it, anyway... but there are some people who don't stop to think or don't realize how badly they are hurting the designers' profitability... and if this post were visible throughout our entire community, maybe those folks would see it and it would take root.

In any event, well put Robin.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:40 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I whole heartedly agree.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Thank you Robin! So much agreed!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Skype™ to Damayanti Studio

I worked as a Designer 3 years. A few months ago I retired. One is caused to retared is just that digital piracy is a large scale...So I understand everything you wrote Robin and will fight with you.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Wow--group buy? I've never even heard of such a thing. That is just terrible that anyone would even think of doing that! What I don't understand is how anyone would even enjoy using the product knowing that it's stolen. If they can't afford it, then they can always stick with legal freebies, after all!
Old 12-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I find that those who are new to digital scrap-booking may be more susceptible to piracy simply because they don't know how much work goes into the making of digital supplies or they are under the misconception that all graphics found on the web are free unless watermarked. It is up to us, the community to educate them and help them find legitimate sources of free samples as well as great places to shop. Share you knowledge and don't be shy about explaining piracy to those who might be new (or maybe older) to the community.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:27 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

I whole heartedly agree
Old 08-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

The problem with piracy of any kind is that people see it as a victimless crime, and also will quite happily bang the gong for one type of battle against one type of piracy, while turning around and commiting piracy somewhere else.

As someone whose work has been stolen, heck I once was walking in town and someone came past me with a T Shirt and I was like, "Oh that looks familiar", then I realised he was sporting one of my paintings a large dragon with a bare breasted lady on his back, and I don't print T Shirts.

I have a no tolerance view on all types of piracy, because I know the work that goes into a product, be that art and digital resources, software, games or movies.

The really sad thing is the products here are so underpriced for the effort anyway that the creators are only making a minimal amount for their continued efforts anyways. Artists very rarely make enough to keep food on the table, particularly if they are doing something they love, and not having to design packaging or products

Also I find from quoting costs to people that often any creative work is undervalued, especially digital work as people seem to think their is a mythical button on the keyboard that just "makes" art.

Jeebs I would love to find this button, it would save me tons of work....

Generally I pay for everything I use and follow the TOU to the letter, do be aware that some people offer commerical kits of specific shapes and elements FOR kit makers, this is not pirating just always please make sure you read, understand and follow the TOU.

As for friends who are strapped for cash, I have and will continue to buy them vouchers or points to buy kits they can't afford, it would never occur to me to share, I don't hurt my fellow creators...

Sarah
Old 12-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's unfortunate that has to be said....but you said it very well. I completely agree!
Old 02-08-2017, 10:01 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

100% agree!
Old 09-14-2018, 05:20 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulutoo View Post
Wow--group buy? I've never even heard of such a thing. That is just terrible that anyone would even think of doing that! What I don't understand is how anyone would even enjoy using the product knowing that it's stolen. If they can't afford it, then they can always stick with legal freebies, after all!
I never thought of any of these things either.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:27 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I just cannot imagine how anyone would think file sharing was ok.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:26 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

Very well put.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:31 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Hello Robin. I'm new here - been hanging around awhile and decided to officially come in and have some Sweet Fun. I totally agree to the above and know how hard you designers work to create your designs and collections. I completely understand and agree!