Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-21-2019, 11:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default How many homes?

With our upcoming move, my children have a lot of questions "does everyone always move as much as we do?" and it made me wonder, how often have you moved homes in your ADULT life?

What about JUST your childhood? Did you grow up in your childhood home?

In my childhood, we moved two times. My parents moved once before I was 10 months old, of course I don't remember it. And then we moved again in to our home my senior year of high school. That home, was in our backyard, so it wasn't really much of a move, uprooting our family or anything.

As an adult, I've moved 12 times and are getting ready for my 13th move later next month. Before my son turned 2, he had lived in three different homes! I'm actually looking forward to the next move, although sad we are giving up our home. But I'm always open for another adventure somewhere in this beautiful world!

So what about you?
How many homes did you live in as a child?
How many homes did you live in as an adult?
Old 04-22-2019, 02:28 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

As a child, I was born and grew up at my maternal grandparents home until I was 4 years old. We moved to another province on another island. I lived in 2 rental houses for roughly 6 years (3 years each), then moved into my parents' own house when I am about 10 years old then.
I moved out to study abroad when I was 15 years old and was never home for any longer than a year ever since then... I lived with 2 homestay families during my 2.5 years in Australia, 2 dorms and a shared flat during the first 5 years I was in Liverpool, and moved into a flat with hubby when we got married and stayed there for roughly 5 years, before we moved to Beijing.
Here, I've lived in 2 rental apartment for the first 3 years here and we finally settled in our own apartment that we are living in now in 2015.

Phew... that's a lot of countries to move in and out. To summarise:
4 homes as a child.
5 temporary homes as a single adult.
4 homes with hubby.

Thanks for asking these questions, Wendy. I never really thought about it until now, it got me walked down the memory lane a bit
Old 04-22-2019, 03:21 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I moved a few times as a young child then lived in 1 house from the time I started kindergarten until I left for college. My parents still live there. Then during college and very young adulthood I moved at least once a year for 6 years. DH and I bought our first house in 1999, when I was 24, and since then I've only lived in 2 houses.

If I list every home I've ever lived in it sounds like a lot (to me!), but it was skewed by those 2 periods of moving frequently.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:46 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

As a child i moved 12 times
As an adult i moved 3 times
Old 04-22-2019, 07:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

As a child I know we lived in 3 separate places before moving into the home I grew up in. I lived there until my senior yr of high school, and then I moved to TN with my dad.

As an adult, we've moved 9 times so far. For my kids they've moved 8 of those times. WOW

Old 04-22-2019, 08:56 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

As a child, I think we moved three times (ish). I remember going to kindergarten at one school. Then another school for first and second. Then back to the first school for the rest of my elementary years. That last house we lived in until I was seventeen and my parents separated and divorced. We then had to move to an apartment.

My hubby and I have lived in the same house for almost 16 years. My kids have only lived in this house. I imagine we'll be here until they are out of school. Or, at least until our youngest is driving. My hubby would rather be in the country but we are so close to the schools they attend it would be stupid to leave right now.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:02 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Well you know we're two peas in a pod military wise but I figured I'd chime in my childhood moves too just for fun!

As a child we moved 4 times over the course of 18 years, so that actually sounds pretty good to me right now! Lol.. My mom still owns the house that I spent most of my childhood growing up in.

As a young adult in college, I moved 5 times, different apartments every year basically. I never was one to sit still long!

As a newlywed we rented a house first, then bought a house so 2 times there and after joining the military we've moved 6 more times. Only 2-3 more to go? Maybe, hopefully? :P
Old 04-22-2019, 10:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Same home until I was 18. Then I moved five more times. I've been in our current house almost 20 years now. I'm a Nester for sure.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:50 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

In my adult life? I moved out of my home into an apartment with Darcy for a few short months and then we moved into a manufactured home (trailer lol) and the house we are in now. I lived in the same house all my life growing up

Fun fact - we didn't sell it for this amount but the city I lived in the prices were so insane that the trailer we lived in sold for 420k a few years ago
Old 04-22-2019, 11:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've always lived in Canada. I grew up in 3 homes in Ontario and then as an adult rented 3 apartments before moving to British Columbia. I rented 2 apartments before buying our home that we've been in for over 20 yrs. We'll probably sell in a few yrs and move a little further out into the suburbs or even possibly into the BC interior. Wherever we go, we would like a quieter neighborhood and away from the crazy traffic we have here.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:39 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I moved several times from birth to 2. I don't have an exact number for that.

Once we moved back to Indiana, we lived with my aunt until my parents married and then moved into a home from kindergarten through sixth grade. From sixth grade until I was a sophomore in college, we lived in what I consider my "childhood" home and the house I have the most memories of growing up. My parents have moved twice since then.

Adulthood is going to be a crazy number. Let's see: a townhouse in college, into a house with my ex afterwards, in with my parents temporarily when we split, into an apartment up here, into an apartment down there, into an apartment with my husband, into a townhouse with my husband, in with some friends across the country temporarily, in with my parents temporarily, & into the house we currently live in. That's 10 moves in the last 19 years.

That won't be all,either. There will be at least one more move before getting into a permanent house.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

How many homes did you live in as a child? My parents bought their house when they got married, I lived there throughout my childhood, and my dad still lives there.
How many homes did you live in as an adult? We lived in 2 apartments after we were married (1 was upstairs and the next corridor over. we moved from a 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom!) And then we bought the house we currently live in.

So, not counting college dorms, I have lived in a total of 4 different homes!
Old 04-22-2019, 11:53 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've lived in 12 places total.
- Childhood: 4
- Early adulthood: 6 (sorority, shared houses, apartments) + 2 if you count the summers I live in different fraternities temporarily
- Adulthood: 2

Last edited by SeattleSheri; 04-23-2019 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:04 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I grew up in apartments so we moved often, but only changed towns a few times.

How many homes did you live in as a child? I think we lived in 12 places
How many homes did you live in as an adult? I think I've lived in 9 places

Not sure if I'm totally accurate, but it's close.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

As an child - two houses (moved when I was three or so).

As a college student - my parents moved while I was in college, so that is one... then I lived in two different rooms in the dorms, but had to move in and out during summer... different dorm when I took summer school.

As an adult... two different apartments... then two houses. Current house, we have been here going on 15 years. Our three neighbors have switched out two to three times since being here.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We moved alot when I was a kid- mostly wherever my dad could get work- he was in the operating engineers union & would go where the money was good to run/work on big equipment. We even spent about 9 months in Hawaii (which sounds wonderful, except we HATED it!!) From what I can remember, I ~Think~ we lived in 10 different homes/apartments until I graduated & went off to school.

I feel like this section needs to be separated into College/after college lol!

College- Dorm, apartment, duplex, another duplex, apartment = 5
Post College- Apartment, House, Inlaws house, current house- so 4

I just wanted to add- we are NOT going anywhere ANYTIME soon. I hate moving- maybe because I did it so much as a kid?
Old 04-22-2019, 05:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

How many homes did you live in as a child? Several when I was really young, 3 that I remember, from the time I was 6 until 18. All in the same area. 2 of them where in the same spot, we had a single wide trailer and got a double wide.
How many homes did you live in as an adult? 10 ~ I joined the Air Force as soon as I graduated high school. I was active duty for 10 years, in that time counting basic training and technical training dorms, I lived in 7 different homes, plus we've moved 3 times in the last 10 years. We finally bought our forever home in 2017.

This isn't counting the couple months we stayed in at my inlaws when we first moved to Michigan or staying different temporary housing units waiting for base housing to open up.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I moved two times as a child...those two houses are just a few houses apart. The backyards almost back up to each other!
Birth -3 years: lived in a house
3-college+: lived in another house, which my parents still live in.

College: I live in the dorms one year and had the same apartment for 4 years.

Adult Life prior to married: Lived in two places....they were right next door to each other!

Married Life: Two houses...we rented a house for 6 years and bought a house and have lived in that house since. IF we move again, it will be out of Illinois!
Old 04-22-2019, 07:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
In my adult life? I moved out of my home into an apartment with Darcy for a few short months and then we moved into a manufactured home (trailer lol) and the house we are in now. I lived in the same house all my life growing up

Fun fact - we didn't sell it for this amount but the city I lived in the prices were so insane that the trailer we lived in sold for 420k a few years ago
Wow, that's a lot of money!

Too bad that wasn't your parent's price they sold the home for!
Old 04-22-2019, 07:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
We moved alot when I was a kid- mostly wherever my dad could get work- he was in the operating engineers union & would go where the money was good to run/work on big equipment. We even spent about 9 months in Hawaii (which sounds wonderful, except we HATED it!!) From what I can remember, I ~Think~ we lived in 10 different homes/apartments until I graduated & went off to school.
I've heard Hawaii as "Divorce Island" because people go there and get stuck, unable to get back home to visit family/friends. Sorry you all didn't like it there
Old 04-22-2019, 07:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

This is a great question! After clearing my Grandparent's house where they lived for 50 years, I think moving has its advantages... at least when we move, we tend to sort through and get rid of things. LOL!!

As a child, I lived in 4 different places (one of them being my Grandparent's house for a time).

As an adult, we have moved 12 times in our 31 years of being married.

All of the places I had lived were withing about a 20 mile radius in So Cal, until our last move which was to Idaho. We'll move at least one more time before we buy our "rest of our life" home.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I lived in the same house until I was ten, and then we moved 2 miles (to a new school district), where we lived until I was 16. We lived in a rent house the next year, and when I was 17 we moved into the house my parents still live in now, 25 years later.

As an adult, however, I have lived in 2 different US cities and three different countries, so we've lived in seven different homes. The one we're in now is the longest we've ever lived in the same house at {almost} 5 years, and I feel so bored of it!
Old 04-22-2019, 07:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Childhood: 3 homes (baby, until 1st grade, rest of childhood)

College: 5: dorm, dorm, 3 apartments in VA, summers in PA and NJ

Adult: Allin Ohio, 4: 3 months with my sister, 1 year in apartment, 4 years in first house, 20 years in second house, now in 3rd house for 2 years already
Old 04-22-2019, 09:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
I lived in the same house until I was ten, and then we moved 2 miles (to a new school district), where we lived until I was 16. We lived in a rent house the next year, and when I was 17 we moved into the house my parents still live in now, 25 years later.

As an adult, however, I have lived in 2 different US cities and three different countries, so we've lived in seven different homes. The one we're in now is the longest we've ever lived in the same house at {almost} 5 years, and I feel so bored of it!
Because I'm nosy---one is the US and the other is where you currently are (Philippines), but what's the third country? I know you've said in the past, but my memory is shot these days
Old 04-22-2019, 09:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

As a child, I think we moved 3 or 4 times. As an adult, I've moved 3 times (into our apartment, then condo, then current home). My kids have only had to move once (my oldest was 2 months when we moved into our condo so I don't count that).
Old 04-23-2019, 11:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

just childhood would be 4, adult life has been 4 as well but I’ve moved back home a few times so I’ve moved a total of 6 times in my adult life.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 04-23-2019, 11:36 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
Wow, that's a lot of money!

Too bad that wasn't your parent's price they sold the home for!
No that was not my parents, it was the first home darcy and I bought together. The prices boomed. lol.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:56 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Pre Marriage - 2 homes. I grew up with my grandparents who lived in 2 homes (about 1 mile apart) my entire childhood. I actually don't remember moving but I have pictures to prove it was 2 houses.

Married life - we moved into apartment for approximately 5 months and then moved in with in-laws while building our home. We lived with inlaws for about a year and then moved into our home. We have been in the same house since 1981 and can't imagine moving (well maybe if we win the lottery but that is about the only way we will move).

So I guess you can say that I have lived in 5 different houses in 58 years.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Childhood - 3 different homes with my parents with most of it in one
College - two apartments
Adult - a townhouse on my own then with my ex, one house with him, two homes on my own

Fun fact - with the exception of the two apartments that were a whopping hour away, the rest of them are all within about 20 minutes of each other, just a little more west each time.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Childhood, 2! 1st was with my mam until I was 7 and then with my dad after that. When I was 15 I moved in with my nana, but all 3 houses were within a 5 min walk of each other lol.

I got my own place at 17 and I'm still in the same house now 17 years later, 1 street from where I grew up.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:32 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

How many homes did you live in as a child? 2ish

I grew up in my grandparent's home and moved once when I was 10 to live with my mother and her new husband. I lived there until I was 17 and we couldn't manage to get along any longer and then I moved back in with my grandmother. So, technically I lived in two homes until I was 18.

Okay, let's see. As a college student I moved every year, I guess I technically that doesn't count... but through my college years I lived in five dorm rooms and for one semester I lived in my boyfriend's dorm room. I spent some summers at my grandmother's, some at my parents, and some transitional time in a trailer in the backyard of my grandmother's house... so that's another seven(ish) domiciles.

I moved to NC after I graduated in 2007 and from '07-'11 I lived in three different apartments. In 2011 I joined the Peace Corps... but wait... I almost forgot, I had a weird gap where my lease ran up but I hadn't received my acceptance letter from the Peace Corps yet so I was medium homeless for a few months. I lived out of my Honda Civic and crashed on friend's couches because I couldn't afford to leave my job yet because I was still paying down debt. I did change my permanent during this time, but I won't count any of these residences. Anyway... In the Peace Corps I lived with a host family for a while and then I moved into my own apartment until I finished my service in 2014. So, that's like five more residences.

I got married while in the Peace Corps and my husband and I moved back to the states and in with my parents (who are still in the same house from 1992) for a few months while we got our bearings and eventually moved back down to North Carolina. We've lived here since 2014 and resided in two apartments.

We are in the process of buying our first home.

SO. Long story short, I too have moved a good deal. I'm quite an adept packer! If I total the numbers I get... 7 apartments and if you count the college years, that's 14 residences since I was 18.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

In my Adult life, we've moved 8 times (it was almost 9 last year) so on average every 2.5 years, though we've lived in some places longer. My oldest son has been through every single move... the hardest one was definitely after he had started school and had to leave his friends Thankfully, through all our moves since then I have been able to keep them in the same school and haven't had to put him or the others through that heartache again. Our current home is temporary (even though we've been here going on 5 years), so there will be at least 1 more in our future (but realistically I'm sure it will be more). I often go in a depression funk with the thought that one of my kids will only be under our roof 1 more year and I have never been able to give him a permanent place to call home and to be able to return to any time..... but there's not much i can do about it, so I just make the best of the situation we are in, and focus on giving / sharing happy memories.

When I was a kid we moved once.... from the US to Canada (fun fact, it was to the house we are currently staying in now). I love it here, however, I have always felt an emptiness in my heart that I wasn't where I belonged, and have always wanted to return 'home'..... but one of my big regrets in life was that I never got to be one of the kids who grew up close to my family (grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles etc), so I never got the chance to get to know them, so I refuse to do that to my kids.... maybe someday I'll get to go 'home', but certainly not until the kids are grown, and definitely not permanently as I'll want to be back for when they start their own families.

I realize this was probably a downer response, so I will end this on a positive note.... I LOVE moving! It is the fastest and best way to clean and declutter my home! It's the best time to get rid of the trash, and donate the stuff I don't need, and don't get me started on how much I enjoy setting up and organizing a new space!! There's always a bright side to everything
Old 04-26-2019, 02:06 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

As a child, I just moved once which was nice.
In college - my parents moved a lot, but I was at school, so I never really lived there - I lived in 3 different dorms/apartments over the 4 years.
As an adult - 2 apartments and 2 houses - the second one for 21 years now, but we are itching to downsize to our "retirement"/low maintenance home.

I really dislike moving!

All but the college years were in a 10 mile radius, so I've never moved far!
Old 04-26-2019, 03:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

As a child I was always in the same home with my parents in France until I reached 21.

Then I became an au pair in the US in two different families (2)
Moved in with my husband's brother (+1)
Moved into our own apartment (+1)
Bought a house (+1)
Sold and moved to a rental (+1)
Moved cross country to a rental (+1)
=7 times
Old 04-29-2019, 02:03 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I lived in the same house as a child. My mom still lives in that house.

As an adult, we've lived in 2 houses so my kids have experienced a move. Not a big one. We moved one town over to finally live where we wanted to live and we outgrew out old house.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I moved twice before leaving my parents' home at 18 (well 17 really because I graduated early).

As an adult I have moved 22 times.

My daughter is now 18 and has moved 7 times - 8 if you count moving into college.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My answer changed after reading some of these... I forgot about a few

As a child-- moved once
College age-- 3 residence halls & 2 apartments. Then moved in with a military family in Italy as their nanny. Then moved in with my boyfriend/now husband (shh! don't tell my dad) when my nanny job was over but he was still there so I wanted to be, too Then moved to my mom's (new) house when his assignment in Italy was over=8
Married life (14 years)--We've been stationed in Japan, England, Illinois (not so exciting after Japan & England!) and my kids & I lived in our "forever home" (an impulse-buy in South Carolina) while my husband was in school in D.C. for a year. Our current assignment and most recent move is to Turkmenistan. If the new housing is complete here soon enough, we'll probably do a local move. My husband will retire out of here and we'll move back to South Carolina. He is so done moving (but I wish he'd change his mind and get another assignment or two!) =5 (+1 or 2 more by the end of next year)
So 13 homes as an "adult", 2 as a child.