Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-17-2020, 10:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We try to show kindness on a daily basis. We paid for breakfast for the car behind us in drive thru one morning. It turned out to be our minister, I put money on lunch accounts at school for others whenever I can, staff and students. I sent a stranger something from her Amazon wishlist recently.

As far as being on the receiving end, it has happened a lot less. I don’t mind and only hope people are still paying it forward. When we came home from the hospital after having our daughter, someone had mowed our lawn. We never found out who. Once I was out having drinks and appetizers with girls from work. We work in education. The school board president stopped by our table to thank us for what we do. When the first in our party started to leave the server refused to bring their check. We found out that the school board member had paid the tabs for all of us.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

One of the most memorable RAKs I've been blessed to be a part of was a quilt drive. I was VP of the Orlando quilt guild when the Pulse shootings happened and we did the biggest quilt drive at that point with well over 1500 quilts in the end. We had the intention of simply making a quilt for every person that passed and giving it to their family's in memory and honor of them. It was a really hard time there. In the end, with people from something like 11 different countries and all fifty states had donated quilts or quilt blocks and our guild put them all together and dispersed them. In the end all the first responders got one, anyone from the club got one, I have one lol, the Mayor's office, etc. There was such a outpouring of love that I had never seen before. Its amazing. There were many tears shed.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:26 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I'm sure you saw this on Facebook Nat, but it was the most recent event :
Fort Cares and Feed America First teamed up with our housing for here on post for a grocery giveaway. I waited in line for a little over an hour and was greeted with an amazing assortment of delicious, and free, food for our family as well as three roses! After a small hiccup, Ron and his wife stopped by the following day to deliver more food for the family! Because we had received an overabundance of food, we split it in half and gave it to our neighbors who had just recently moved in earlier that week. It has since sparked a friendship and a wonderful relationship between our families which is often so hard to do when your neighbors move every 1-3 years!

**removed photo because it was too large for the forum**

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 02-17-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't remember ever receiving a RAK unless it was from a designer giving a kit away. Wish I totally love! I do know yesterday at church a missionary from Italy came to preach and was saying that they were back in the states with their three kids until they raised money to go back. So I had my husband go and give him twenty dollars. Then my husband said he had tears in his eyes. I so wish I could of done more.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can remember a time when my boys were much younger, money was real tight due to an on the job accident Mark had and his hours being cut. We were going to wait on Christmas and the boys understood that we would be doing it a little late. Two days before Christmas, Mark went into work and a lady he worked with gave him a Christmas card. Inside was $400 for the boys Christmas. She told Mark to give them something special. I cried for days. Heíd only been there about 7 months or so. Itís a moment Iíll never forget.

As for us, we do little things all the time. My boys, too. Theyíve given their Christmas money to the Veteranís home, weíve bought clothes, shoes, and socks for one of the kidís friends. Iíve helped someone pack their groceries. Just little things that we all should do for another.

Happily creating for Amber Shaw, WendyP, Studio Flergs, River Rose, and Southern Serenity Designs

Facebook | Instagram | Gallery
Old 02-17-2020, 12:39 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

A couple of RAK's that was most recent is : I was standing in the checkout line behind a older lady who didn't have enough money on her card to pay for all her groceries. She ask the cashier to take off a couple packs of chicken and another item. I told the cashier to leave it on and I would pay the difference. The older lady was very thankful towards me. It felt nice to do something for someone who didn't even ask for help. Another time on National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day me and a friend took in 6 dozen doughnuts (from a local bakery) to the police station in our city. Cops love doughnuts!!
One RAK towards me & hubby was years back we decided to skip our annual Marriage Encounter Retreat because of a year of major medical bills and without notice one day I got a letter in the mail stating someone has paid our Retreat Weekend ($325.00) in full and our rooms were booked! So, another Retreat year Hubby and I had paid for ours but had a death in the family and couldn't attend so we gave our weekend/room to another couple that couldn't go because of money.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:44 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I really love RAKs and the good feelings that they produce.
Top of mine today is a bittersweet one. On Friday night, my dog was hit and killed on a country road. A stranger saw him, took the time to stop, read his tags and call me. Before we could even drive there, another stranger had also stopped and called and waited for my husband to arrive by his side. Although, it is not your normal Random Act, being able to find our boy and not continuing to look was the kindest thing of all. My boy was an adventurer and no matter what we did, he went off when his curiosity called and we have had many kind strangers stop and call us and bring him home.
To all those dog lovers in the world who stop in the middle of their busy lives to help a fur baby find his home - thank you!
Old 02-17-2020, 01:09 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Starbucks

One winter several years ago i was having a really rough morning. Weather was crappy and getting my boys to school was challenging. I went by my local shops to get coffee and the person in front of me had paid for it. I had never had that happen before and it just hit me like a ton of bricks. It totally changed my day. I do it now as often as i can. It means so much more to me than the person receiving the coffee. I love that feeling.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I try to give what I would like to receive....kindness, consideration and a smile.

I will often open doors, help someone to their car with groceries, give someone my place in a checkout line when they have only a few things. I always smile at people, it's such a small thing to do but makes everyone feel good. Recently I was at the river path, with Taz, just chatting with a doggie dad who talked about traveling, he and his wife have retired, they checked a few local kennels and are apprehensive about which one to use and asked if I had any recommendations, if I have used any of them. I gave him my opinion, let him know that I dog walked and overnight babysat a few dogs for awhile (when I was transitioning in my job). I offered for him and his wife to bring their dog over sometime and check out our home and meet my hubs. We know the dogs like each other, they played the whole time we talked and then walked around the neighborhood. I showed him our home and offered to watch their pup one day if they liked and if all went well I would be happy to take him overnight here and there. I know what it's like to worry about how your dog is cared for in a kennel. So I could see how relieved he was that I had offered and said that one day this spring he and his wife may come for coffee and talk more. I thought my hubs would think I was nuts for offering but he just smiled and said ok. I loved it when I babysat Beckham and Eva off and on for a few yrs. It was nice to have another dog around for a day or two and then they went home. I don't think Taz would like a full time dog here but he seems to like wkend visits.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:31 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Meagan, I'm sorry about your dog. We had to say goodbye to our old guy in November and it's just not the same around here! Hugs to you.

As for the rest of you... wow! This really is the sweetest spot in town! I'm so thoroughly enjoying reading your comments as I enjoy my morning coffee. One thing I've noticed... we all tend to downplay our actions. Little things like holding a door, or paying a compliment... they have such a huge impact in the long run. They make this world a better place and possibly brighten someone's whole day. That's not a little thing!

It makes me think of an incident that happened to me back in 2007 that probably had the biggest impact in my life, but to the other person involved it was probably just a little thing that they don't even remember. It was Easter Sunday, my MIL was in hospital dealing with terminal cancer and my FIL had passed away very suddenly three days before. They were devout Catholics and good Christians, in the truest sense of that word... they cared for everyone around them. I decided to go to Mass in their stead and light a candle. I found one little empty seat in the far back corner and sat there silently crying through the whole mass. At one point the lady beside me reached over and just held my hand. She never said a word, just held my hand. Such a little thing, but that little act of kindness was life-changing for me and I'll never forget it.

Man, I can never get through that story without crying! Thanks for sharing all of your sweet stories!

Last edited by Ponytails; 02-17-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love this! Like you, we've received and passed forward our fair share of coffee orders over the years. I was a part of an amazing Traditional Scrapping Community years ago and we had a forum for sending out RAK's.... (Marie was there too!!) members would post and say there were x number of RAK's on the way and how they couldn't wait to see reactions without giving away who it was. A week or so later you'd see messages pop up with lots of thanks... I know it got a lot of members through some difficult times having someone brighten their day, or even just a smile knowing someone was thinking of them just because.

I had sent and received plenty of RAK's back in the day in that group, but I think the MOST memorable thing happened when we planned a Live Crop and it was actually close enough that I could try to go..... I ALMOST had to back out of going because I couldn't quite get all the money together that I needed to be able to go (single income family with 3 kids under the age of 5... not a lot to spare at that time), but another member who had to back out for a different reason, instead of getting a refund had RAK'd her deposit to me.... I was completely blown away.... At that point in time it was the first trip as an adult that I was trying to do, it was the first time I had ever traveled or done anything alone... and I was able to meet some of the best ladies I had ever interacted with in my lifetime in person.... That individual gave me more than a lending hand... she gave me the experience of a lifetime that I will never forget. <3 <3 <3
Old 02-17-2020, 01:49 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Several years ago, we were celebrating a Christmas Eve dinner in my mom's home. We were all there, my siblings with their families and me with mine. It was just past 11pm and we were all starting to eat the delicious dishes we prepared for the occasion when somebody rang the bell. It was Antonio, the old man who delivered the newspaper in my mom's neighbour. He was delivering it early because the night was very cold and he wanted to get home as soon as possible. He had no family and lived by himself in another part of the city, a little far away from my mom's house. We all thought God was giving us the chance to live the real reason of Christmas, so we invited Antonio to spend the holiday celebration with our family. He had dinner with us and he even received several useful gifts for himself. This special Christmas Eve is remembered almost every year with a lot of warmth and longing, because Antonio passed away several months after this date and we could never be able to repeat such a wonderful moments with him.

Last edited by ssdsophie; 02-17-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:52 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Since I'm a teacher - I feel like my life is a series of RAK for my students, but I want to brag on my husband. He is so generous and he does RAK all the time and wants no credit. In fact, he'd be mad about me posting this. He likes to get up early on the weekends and go to breakfast. I don't, so he goes alone. He always scopes out a family, couple or police/fire/rescue worker and pays for their bill before he leaves. I just love his kind heart. He does so many other things as well. He inspires me to remember to always be looking for a way to be kind.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:33 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

What a sweet and uplifting thread. thanks for sharing all of your stories! <3 I always try to do the little things for others that can make a difference - holding doors, taking a cart back for someone, offering to stay with a small kid for a parent because they have to do something for another child, giving up a seat. They can make a big difference in someone's day.

I've received RAKs in the drive-through lines at coffee and fast food places a couple of times and have done the same.

I once shoveled our next door neighbor's driveway for her because she had had shoulder surgery and I knew she was not going to be able to do it for herself. One of the other neighbors often did things like this for her, so she might have thought he had done it and I'm OK with that

Back when we lived in CO the marching band would have Saturday morning practices. The PTO parents would leave the mess in the stands for the next day after the Friday night football games. A couple of weeks during my girls' senior year the clean up crew for PTO still hadn't arrived by the time we were done with practice, so the kids decided to do it for them as a surprise.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What a fabulous challenge! The most recent RAK that I can think of was not too long ago when we were making banana bread. We made a loaf for ourselves and with the remainder made several mini loaves and delivered them to all our neighbors. The most impactful RAK I can remember was back in Jr High though. Our computer teacher was fairly new to the school and was having a difficult time around the holidays. A group of my friends and I decided to give her a little gift or two each day for the 12 days preceeding Christmas break. It really made a diference for her and was such an amazing experience for all of us.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:37 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I am grateful for this challenge, so I can express the most amazing Act of Kindness I have ever received. I'm a lengthy story teller so I will try and keep it short for everyone LOL. Apologies in advance!

Last year I began having my morning breaks with a coworker that had run into difficulties with the boss, as had I. She is a quiet, shy kind of young woman, I'd guess her to be early 20's. I always said hello, asked how she was. She was most often studying for a course she was taking so we didn't talk much. When we talked, it was never about work related issues.
I came in to work one morning and on my keyboard was an envelope with my name. I picked it up and found it thicker then a plain card would be. I opened it and gasped out loud. Shocked beyond belief. I asked the other girl in my office if she knew who had left it there. She saw the look on my face and told me. Tears poured down my face and the concern of my coworker's face brought me back to focus. I handed her the card and after she read it I fanned out $200, in twenty dollar bills!! I was in a fog for the day. That evening I probably read her card a dozen times.
I had no idea that just being myself would mean so much to a young individual to be repaid in what I view as an over the top gesture.

P.S. I made sure I paid some of the money forward. A couple of times I paid for people's orders in the Tim Horton's Drive Thru. I was also able to give my granddaughter $20 when she was short before payday. That was a fight but I won LOL

Last edited by Tedasgram; 02-17-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Just mostly everyday things. I don't use drive throughs so can't do anything there. I try to always let someone with just a couple of items in the store go ahead of me and my full cart. Also hold the door open for someone coming behind me with arms full.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:16 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I'm a huge believer in It Takes A Village to help out with each others' children and we always give rides to our neighbors' children that are classmates with ours as well as my daughter's bffs when their parents are unavailable to pick them up from school or just for them to hangout after school due to work etc..
and an example of something that was done for me is my I was really anxious about how I was going to get to an important surgery I needed to have and I didn't have a ride and my coworker volunteered to get up at the crack of dawn to take me I still to this day am so thankful for people that are so generous like that!
Old 02-17-2020, 03:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is a fun thread, and a reminder to not stop doing good!

I do many things to try to be a good human. :P Let people out when there's lots of traffic, or go in front of me in line when they have few things. Help anyone who looks like they needs help, take meals, cards or flowers to those going through tough times. Help out financially those that are having a rough time due to job loss etc. Interestingly, I've never paid for someone else's meal, which seems to be common from reading this thread.

We've been the recipient of RAKs too. Most touching was when my son's formula was on backorder (and he has a disease where he can not eat food) and other families mailed us formula to get us through. We also have had people help pay for his formula years ago when we didn't have any coverage for it and couldn't afford the $800 a month it cost. We are very blessed indeed!
Old 02-17-2020, 03:31 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We were at a Chick-fil-A once for lunch during a long car trip. Half way through our meal, a nice woman came up and laid $20 on our table. She whispered to me that it was such a blessing to her to see us pray for our meal together as a family as "no one does that any more." She sweetly asked if she could pay for part of our meal. It was such a blessing to us, especially as I was all stressed and tired from a long journey.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

there is a place not far from my house, at a red light where there is often a mother with her children, even if I cannot give them money every day when I meet them I try to have a little something for the children... cakes, drink, candy...
Old 02-17-2020, 04:37 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

When we switched internet providers a couple of weeks ago, our connection seemed to be ok for 4-5 days, and then suddenly (well, it was raining) it stopped working. We've been without phone and internet for more than 10 days now. Our neighbor (the apartment in the same floor) kindly gave us the password to their wifi. It's not working everywhere in our house (my desktop seems to be far away from their router), but still it's such a cool thing to do!
Old 02-17-2020, 04:55 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

At first I didn't think I could participate in this challenge, because I don't consciously think about doing a RAK. I just try to be thoughtful & kind... it's just something one should do ... & I don't think that I've ever had anyone randomly pay for my food/groceries or coffee ... but then I remembered:
One RAK I received happened about 27 years ago. These days, when you go to the DMV you get a number & can "sit" while you wait for your number to be called. Back then, you stood in a line; a long line. The annual registration sticker on our car's license plate had been stolen. After I dropped off my older child at school, & with my 1-year old, I headed to the DMV to see what needed to be done to get it replaced. Of course the lines were long. Fortunately, the little one fell asleep; but unfortunately, I didn't have the stroller so I was holding him in my arms -- and he was heavy! The gentlemen in line behind me, pointed to a chair by the wall & told me to sit & he would hold my place in line. I was soooo grateful!

Another one that I really appreciated ... a few year ago, when I had just discovered the world of digital scrapbooking, a well-known designer (I don't remember how I came upon her blog) was announcing her new collection. I commented that it was beautiful & it was going on my wish list. This wasn't a sneak peek contest ... but that designer emailed me & gave me the collection. I was so surprised & happy; my budget didn't allow for buying "fun stuff" at that time. & that started my love for digi-scrapping ...
Old 02-17-2020, 05:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

About two weeks ago, there was a fire at an apartment complex close to where my friend lives. A friend of hers knew a family who were victims. This young couple had a four year old daughter. They made it out alright but lost most of their stuff. We raised money to help the family. I also donated gently used toys and clothing to the little girl.

On the receiving side, the most common is when people let me go first in line when I have few items in my grocery cart.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The biggest RAK I have received lately is sweet neighbors shoveling my driveway. I work weird shifts and leave at 2 am a lot and during storms get so annoyed to come home and have to shovel again before I can sleep, and it's been the absolute sweetest to come home and have seen neighbors shoveling their way through the neighborhood.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:12 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Wow, this is a tough one. As for doing RAK's, they are usually small such as opening doors, allowing people to get in front of me in line if they are in a hurry, and pushing the floor buttons on an elevator.

I've received RAK's such as receiving a kit from a designer because they felt I really needed it to scrap my photos.

I make sure that my kids always hold the doors open for people and offer to help others in need.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:59 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

These are really moving - thanks for having this as a party game!

I have been on the receiving end of RAKs several times - mostly in the coffee drive-through line - I try to do it as well. But the RAK I received that sticks out most in my mind was from a few years ago. My youngest was an infant (just a couple months old). We really needed groceries so I was at the grocery store (a place where you bag your own groceries). I was at the checkout with a full cart. My little guy was crying and crying and I was trying to pay and bag and comfort him - really overwhelmed. A lady and her daughter that were in line next to me finished bagging their groceries and came over and bagged all my groceries and put them back in my cart while I held my little guy. Their kindness to a stranger really blessed me.

Another thing I try to do is use a person's name that is working in a serving capacity as I go places or talk to people (cashier, waitress, customer service). It is a small thing to recognize someone and thank them by name, but people do really appreciate it!
Old 02-17-2020, 06:18 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I have a friend whose birthday is September 11. One year, she asked that people do something kind for someone for her birthday. I took her up on that and bought some flowers for a friend who had recently lost her dad. She was so excited to get messages from friends about what we had done. I guess giving is sort of my love language? We often stop after an orthodontist appointment at Great Harvest Bread company and we always pick something up for the kids' teachers.
I have another friend who heard that I broke my arm last spring and stopped over with a potted plant. She has also brought home souvenirs for me from her Disney trips for my birthday.
Today I had quite a day. I tried to start my car as I was getting ready to take my son to baseball camp 45 minutes away, but the battery was dead. I ran across the road to the neighbor and must have looked frazzled enough (I totally was!!) that he just handed me the keys to his car and he later helped to get me started when I came back home. Now to think of something to do for him!
All of this is friend related, the actual random thing has never happened to me.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:27 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I have been on the receiving end and also gave: someone paying for my coffee, holding the door for me, letting me go ahead of the line to pay if I had one or two items, letting me get into a line with a vehicle, etc. Thanks for sharing your RAK's stories.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Love reading this thread! It is just a reminder how doing a random act of kindness can brighten someone's day.

Doing RAK's is a normal part of our everyday. We treat others like we want to be treated. For me it is easy doing the little things.... opening doors, smiling, letting someone ahead of you in line, offering a helping hand...etc...

Just this past Saturday we were driving to Disney when we rounded a corned to find a truck on the side of the road with their load outside on the ground. It was a food truck and she had lost her entire bain-maire of hot food. It was beans, rice, chicken..etc on the ground. No one was stopping to help. We pulled over. The bain-marie was heavy and there was no way she could have lifted it into her truck by herself. Needless to say she was grateful for the help and clearly distraught by the situation. Her entire load was destroyed. I felt very sad for her knowing her work had been ruined and she would not get paid for the efforts. I am glad we stopped to help her. It was a bad situation for her, but at least she wasn't left alone to figure out how to clean up the mess.

There are so many little things we can all do that don't involve money. Just listening, offering a hand and giving smile can mean so much.

Old 02-17-2020, 06:33 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

The last RAK I did was in the beginning of February. A co worker and I in different departments set up a souperbowl contest to collect food donations for a local food bank. We made it a contest between departments. We collected over 2000 food items. It was a super success.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:53 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

My favorite RAK were when I would take my 93 year old Father in Law out around the town to get him out of the house. He was in a wheelchair, had late stage dementia and was no longer able to communicate with words. But he was always so proud to have served in the Marines in both World War II and the Korean War that he never left the house without his Marine baseball cap. No matter where we would go there were always people who would stop and thank him for his service. I don't know if he could understand what they were saying but he would always smile extra big. I was so grateful every single time this happened.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:48 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Rather than share the things I have done, I'd prefer to share one RAK that was done for me. One day near Christmas, many years ago, I was shopping with four of my children. One of my children asked for some fruit but it wasn't in our budget and I said it was too expensive. A woman was nearby and over heard me. She opened her wallet, pulled out a hundred dollar bill, wished me a Merry Christmas and walked away. I cried through the rest of my shopping trip. And my kids got their fruit.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:05 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

My fav rak is when I'm in line at Chick-Fil-A and can pay for the person behind me. It doesn't matter if someone paid mine or not. I just think it's a nice surprise and hope that it helps someone out. They way they take payments and orders these days makes it a bit harder to do.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:09 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

This is so lovely guys... thanks so much for sharing!
Old 02-17-2020, 08:15 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

In my youngest's online due date group, a mama shared she was having a hard time financially and didn't have money to buy groceries. We were all still pregnant. A lot of the other mothers helped her find local resources but she was still struggling. I asked for her email address to send her a Walmart gift card, which was more than she expected. I've helped her out a couple more times since then as needed.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:22 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

My grandmother was having a problem with her car a lot and my husband was always having to try to fix it or something. So we decided to give her my car that im almost through paying for. (yes we are paying for it not her) So that she will have a dependable car.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:41 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I do lots of little things like letting someone in the line ahead of me, offering to help an elderly person at the shops, holding doors and donating clothes to the local charity.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:53 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I've really enjoyed reading these RAK stories, it gives me hope for the world that were are so many kind people out there.

Here's a story about the time I was RAK'ed: My twin boys were age 2 and my daughter was a newborn, and I had taken them to the local shops (mall) for a play and a treat. I had bought the boys and I some sushi to share and they were really excited about it. When I went into my bag to get my wallet, it wasn't there - I had left it at home! The woman behind me touched my shoulder and said "it's on me, pay it forward when you can". Afterwards I had a happy cry about it (post-partum hormones are full on) and I did so in the months ahead.

A time when I RAK'ed someone was during 2019, through the playgroup I attend (all twin or triplet families). One of the other parents there was going through a tough time and she opened up about it. She had just found out that her husband had another child before they had met, and this child's mother had had her custody rights taken away (due to neglect). Two days earlier - just before Christmas - the child had arrived with a social worker to her home, to live with her Dad. The child had nothing but a backpack, and this mother's own children were much younger, therefore she had no suitable clothing. The following day, I purchased a week's worth of new, basic clothing, socks and underwear, a sun hat and gave it to the Mum from playgroup. She was extremely grateful.

Creative for Grace Lee & Scrapping with Liz
Guesting for LJS Designs in Nov-Dec 2020
Old 02-17-2020, 11:06 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

The only thing I can think of at the moment was a few years ago, my husband & I were in Japan. I found a newer Iphone sitting on a bus stop, although I was able to unlock it everything was in Japanese so we went searching for a police station. It took quite awhile, lots of pointing at pictures and finally a police man on the phone that spoke a little English to get them to understand that I found the phone and wanted to turn it in. Sadly they seemed shocked & way too impressed that we didn't keep it.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:16 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I love being on the receiving end of a RAK and I love offering RAK,s to others. I am rarely in a hurry and my kids are old enough to wait, so we often let others go before us in a grocery line and help older people or those with young children carry packages or groceries.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

In like full on true RAK acts I haven't ever really had one done for me past coffee a few times. I've had not so random-RAK a few times like when we were really struggling with money we were told an elderly couple had offered to front the cost to any church camp/activity the older boys wanted to do for as long as we needed it. And an acquaintance of ours gave us $50 to just put towards Bella's camp funds since she was so impressed with all she is doing to raise the funds.

I've done the coffee one soooo many times. But my funny story is that someone paid for mine one time so I figured, for once I had enough that it wasn't going to be over my budget if they had more than plain coffee, and the barista was like "NO! They have like 6 drinks, I really can't let you do that. Please don't do that." Then when I shared about it several of my friends who have worked, and currently do work there, said how much they hate the paying for other people's coffee thing. lol
Old 02-17-2020, 11:58 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I always let people in front of me in the grocery store if they have only a few things.

One time when I was going to McDonalds. There was a person with a sign that was asking for money for food for their dog. I ordered two kids meals extra and gave the person the meals and told him one was for him and one was for his puppy.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

One of the most fun was when my mom and I went to a post office that was open late into the evenings. As we were finishing up the postal clerk asked us if we had any cookies or candy. We looked in our purses but didnít have anything. The clerk explained that it was going to be a long night and she wanted something to snack on. Mom and I went back to the car and talked. Knowing it was allowed to give postal employees a gift of food we decided to drive a few blocks to a gas station and picked out a bunch of snacks the clerks could share. They couldnít believe we went and got them snacks and were so excited.

Recently my father returned from a trip upset that he must look so old because...and then he started listing all of the people who helped him on his travels home. I told him that I thought it was wonderful that so many people showed kindness because I think of what might have happened if he had not met such kind people along the way. So thank you to everyone who helps out an elderly person make it back home safely in whatever way, small or big, you show kindness. Those of us waiting for them appreciate it.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:48 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Years ago, my sister, me and my little nephew (who is now 18 and in college) were eating at a restaurant while in Phoenix for a day trip of shopping. After we ate, we waited for the bill. The server told us it's taken care of courtesy of a customer. At first, we didn't believe her so we pressed the issue. She told us that yes, a guy dining not too far away from us paid our bill. He was not there anymore. It was a nice surprise! So we left a huge tip for the server.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:01 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I just received a beautiful RAK (note) from msbamf2you. I was having a hard time the last couple of days (at work, with myself... I'm just not feeling well at the moment). I woke up this morning and I read a little note from Mystie. I didn't expect it and it came right from her heart. It really made a difference for me today. (It's 8.01 a.m. right here now).

Old 02-18-2020, 04:58 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

nothing special for me ... everything happens daily with all the little things in life, like many people here. When I see a "homeless person" and I go into a store, I always report something to him, but that is normal. I always give provisions and hygiene products, when the collection is made in department stores. At that time, nobody can say "ah damn, I forgot" or "ah well, it's punishable" piufffff. It makes me angry when I hear this.
On the other hand, the most beautiful RAK that I received: when I got married, my "future and always the same" just came out of the army and I studied. So no money at all. Not many people (only my parents, my parents-in-law, my brothers and sisters, my sister-in-law and her husband - all working-class families, therefore not very wealthy either) and .... my best friend and her husband. You can imagine that the price of the "garter of the bride" did not go up very high, but for me, that did not matter. It was just a funny tradition. At the end, she gave me a check to adjust the amount raised, so that we could go on "honeymoon". We were able to leave for a week at the campsite in Brittany. For us it was really a great happiness. Now 42 1/2 years ago.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I often do the let people ahead of me in line at the grocery store. When our local fire department was out doing their fill the boot drive I, of course, donated what change I had as always but on this day it was particularly cold so I went to McDonald's and bought a bunch of coffees to help warm them up.

While travelling in Ireland on my own I got myself turned around and couldn't find where I was going to. A gentleman saw the obvious look of confusion on my face and literally walked me there. We chatted on our way and he told me that he visted Canada once and the people were very friendly and helpful to him so it was nice to pay it back.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:39 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

When my cousin & I went to Costa Rica a few weeks ago, going through immigration took forever. It took so long that our ride to the resort couldn't wait for us outside the arrivals and had to go someplace else. We were wandering around trying to find our names on a sign (and failing) when a lovely gentleman came up and asked if he could help. He called the hotel for details and then managed to find our driver for us. Very kind of him to help a couple of weary travelers!
Old 02-18-2020, 11:18 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I have to agree with most others here that it is far easier to remember RAK's that have been done for us than the other way around. It is nice to realize that small kindnesses to others don't require much thought, and that so many have stories to share! The most recent RAK I received was just last week, I was picking up dinner for myself and my daughter from Arby's. When you use their monthly coupons you can save quite a bit of money, but since I was coming from work, I didn't have any coupons with me. The server was kind enough to give me the coupon price anyways, without me asking for the favor.