Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default When do you let your kids eat/drink again after throwing up??

We've got a bug going through our house. I feel awful because I had it first but I was so sure it was just pregnancy related and that my stomach was extra sensitive... until it lasted a whole day and night and then some (not throwing up the whole time, but so sick to my stomach). Anyway, 2 of my girls got it last night and of course they throw up quite a bit... my more hubby started feeling sick late so now he's home sleeping. I just hope my baby misses it because I don't think she can throw up into a bowl like the others! blah!

Anyway... i took their water bottle out of their room last night but someone snuck it back in and of course threw up again (they didn't know it would make them throw up)... but i think they're okay now... but I don't know? their tummies still hurt, but I think it's hunger pains now. I did let them drink a little and they are okay, so is it safe to feed them?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I always let my kids drink water, even if they throw it up. I figure they're going to heave anyway and they may as well have something to throw up (I know that's gross, but I've been there and I know it's easier for me.)

I have one child who is very careful after he's been sick and I just trust him that he knows what he's ready to eat. The other one... well, she wants to eat the whole time! I'll usually start her off with a little milk or juice and see how it goes. Then a little cup of dry cereal and see how that goes, etc...

Sorry you all have been sick!!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

small sips of water or sometimes ginger ale within an hour...3-4 hours before trying dry crackers or toast

Old 12-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I'd start of with a little water or gatorade before I introduced solids of any kind (including milk). When they can keep it down for about an hour, then we move on to some broth and jello, and then some easy solids like toast and applesauce.

Hope everyone gets feeling better quickly!
Old 12-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I always make my kids wait 30 to 45 minutes after thowing up and then I start with a tsp of liquid, if they keep it down they get a little more after 15 minutes. If they contiune to keep stuff down I go in 15 minute increments for about 2 hours and then I up what I give them to about a tbsp and I repeat the 15 minute thing. Most time that's all they need for several hours and bu then I start giving them saltines one at a time. I usually don't start "real" food for a full 24 hours after the last vomit. I stick to crackers, applesauce, pudding, yoguart, banana, toast till then!!

Good luck I hope you all feel better soon and the baby is spared!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 12-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
I'd start of with a little water or gatorade before I introduced solids of any kind (including milk). When they can keep it down for about an hour, then we move on to some broth and jello, and then some easy solids like toast and applesauce.
this is generally my rule too.
i hope everyone is back to normal soon!!

Old 12-13-2010, 11:35 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm the same as the others... sips of water an hour after the last time they threw up... if they keep that down, then slowing introduce the BRAT diet until they feel better. This is what the nurse-direct told me the last time kiddo had a stomach bug.

Hope everyone feels better soon!!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

thanks guys. they seemed to have past the hungry stage, so it's definitely been long enough and they had some water. Now everyone is sleeping. My poor babies. I'm actually kind of glad it went through me first because I'm not afraid to clean up and be close to them.

But once they are rested, I'll definitely do some toast, crackers and/or applesauce. Maybe I'll make some jello, they'd all love that!
Old 12-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our pediatrician always said to make Coke Slushies (there is a website that makes the Glacier mug ... awesome to have in the freezer to make slushies!!) or buy them ... let them take a tablespoon of the frozen coke slushie every 15 minutes ... for an hour ... then work up to 2 tablespoons every 15 minutes ... the coke syrup helps settle the tummy. You can also buy the Cola Syrup from the pharmacy ... but I think the Coke slushie works better.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was reading everyone's answers to this. I'm pretty sure whatever I have is just pregnancy related, but part of me worries I caught the bug going around school.

Growing up, we did water for awhile, and if I kept it down, we started seven up and toast (with NO butter, or very very very little butter), and if I kept that down, I could graduate to brothy soups.

But I tend to take things REALLY slow after getting sick. This will gross some people out, but I do have the distinct memory of sneaking some fruit snacks once when I had the flu. After having those come out my nose, I haven't eaten anything gummy like that in over 14 years. The memory still haunts me....

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 12-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we had a HORRIBLE virus go through our house; had to take my DD in after throwing up for 12 hours! Anyway, it gave me a good chance to confirm the proper procedures with the doctor while I was there...

he said not to give them anything to drink at all after they throw up, because they'll get dehydrated faster if they keep vomiting. The idea is to let their stomachs settle, if they can go 20 minutes or so without vomiting, then give them like a tablespoon of water. If it stays down 15-20 minutes, give another. Or you can do an ice chip instead, it might feel like more than just a quick sip.

If your DDs haven't thrown up for hours, then I'd say you're ok to start giving them stuff (like everyone said!)...clear liquids first

hang in there!! I'm so sorry

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 12-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rbeckie View Post
Or you can do an ice chip instead, it might feel like more than just a quick sip.
I do ice chips. I figure if that's what they let you have when you're in the hospital because it doesn't usually trigger vomiting, it will work for my family. I absolutely have to have a drink after vomiting, though. I can't keep that taste in my mouth, so I have to drink some water.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I give mine water almost immediately after they throw up, mostly because I *want* water after I throw up & then it's just a matter of how they say they feel. I have ginger candies I give them early on that settle the stomach. Generally if they want something to eat within an hour I let them have saltines or toast, if that stays down they can have fruit & then eat whatever they want after a few hours.

DH & I have amazingly resiliant stomachs. I've been known to eat pepperoni & sausage pizza hours after being hit with a stomach bug & while DH avoids whatever he had been eating at the time, he'll eat damn near anything else within an hour of throwing up. So I have never been too wary about feeding the boys small amounts of just about anything bland (and not sugary) that they want.