Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-09-2019, 11:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD: 09/09 Forgetfulness

The question of the day is....

Are you often absentminded? Forget things? What's the last thing you forgot?
Old 09-09-2019, 11:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For me....it's something every single day LOL. I have the worst memory, always have. I know this about myself so I try to write notes on my phone, have small writing pads at my desk and in the kitchen. I also write things on the calendar to remind me.

In my office, I have a binder with my CT duties listed and I cross off with a highlighter when completed.

I'm famous for going to the grocery store and forgetting what I went to get. So I will take a pic of a recipe ingredients if that is the reason I'm going to the store or will fill out a grocery list on my phone.

My husband will often get deliveries for his business (I work at home so am here during the day to receive UPS/FedEx deliveries) and then I forget to tell him there are packages in the garage for him. He knows to pop into the garage every few days and take a look to see if there are new boxes. He knows me so well
Old 09-09-2019, 11:27 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

You sound like my husband Rae. :-) He will go to the store and forget why he went. He has gone to the store and remembered, but then when he got to the checkout, he had forgotten his wallet. lol. He lives off check lists!I am convinced we were put together so I could keep things remembered for him. I am not forgetful usually. So when I do forget things, I get so mad at myself.

I create for: Laura Wilkerson, Meagan's Creations & WendyP Designs ** Check out my Blog! **
Old 09-09-2019, 11:50 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Generally speaking, I feel like I have a decent memory for most things. I wouldn't say I'm forgetful, but at work if I have 8 meetings in a day, sometimes I won't remember who I told what to, but I'll remember I talked about it. I've gotten really good at using OneNote to document conversations and also to manage my "to do" lists ... both personally and professionally.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:58 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have a pretty bad memory - I can't remember where I put things - like right now, I don't know where my phone is.... I can't remember what I did yesterday... I find memorizing information really hard - my son has to memorize a lot for his schooling - I can't compete. But I can remember all the words to "Bohemian Rhapsody..." like that is helpful. haha
Old 09-09-2019, 12:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

All the time !!! It already started during my pregnancy and I thought it would get better after giving birth......almost 16 years later I have to admit that that is not the case. It's only getting worse.....literally standing up to do something and when I've taken a few step..already forgot what I was going to do ! LOL I usually remember when I sit down again but I making lists is much needed over here.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:36 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm like you, Rae! I might even be worse.

I think some of it is the scatterbrained, easily distracted, artsy side of my brain. I don't really CARE to remember details. And I'm often distracted by something right before we leave the house so I forget my wallet (if I was buying something on the computer) or phone often.

I forget things all the time. I've learned how to help myself by setting reminders on my phone (I am a new iphone owner and it's so cool to just say "Siri, set a reminder at 5:00 to start dinner" LOL). I have alarms set with different tones to remember when we need to leave our house for my kid's many activities. We leave at a different time each day... 3:15 for tap on Friday, 3:00 for ballet on Weds, 2:00 pick up on Monday, blah blah... it's a lot. And often I will catch myself forgetting WHO I'm picking up at what time each day. God knew I could only handle 2 kids. Although, because we only have 2 they do a ton of stuff: robotics, theater, golf, and dance. We also have co-ops and youth group, etc etc.

I take notes, make lists, maintain two calendars (on the fridge and on my phone) and I still mess up. For example, I showed up at my ENT appointment the other day at the WRONG office. I had an appointment for the east office, 3 minutes from my house, and I went to the north office. Duh!!! It frustrates me so much that I'm forgetful. But I manage. For now. I'm not looking forward to being an old lady. I pray I don't forget how to use my cell phone or how to drive :/

Old 09-09-2019, 01:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have gotten more forgetful in the last couple years but that has more to do with my medical conditions/insomnia/the effects of long-term stress than anything else. I am generally not a forgetful person, however. I like to say that I'm a professional remember-er (a non-profit administrator) & a personal remember-er (a mom).

I always have a plan & a calendar & a list and I do lots of things in the same order or the same way so that I don't have to remember them: getting ready in the morning, parking in the same row at the store and going through the store a certain way, unloading my groceries onto the belt in a certain order, sitting in the same section of church, going the same way to the kids' school and my work, running errands on the same day of the week, etc.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

As my husband always say, I have a selective vivid memory of some things, but I get in our bedroom and I have no idea why I was there or what I was there for.

But seriously, that is why I have always had a planner even when I was in highschool. Planner and post it. So I could make sure that I write things down lest I forget.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes! I can't make it to the grocery list I keep in my purse before forgetting what it was that I wanted to write on it. I'm with Biancka and blame my first pregnancy. My mind just wasn't the same.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've always had a great memory... but lately, I'll be in the middle of a sentence and can't remember a word I was going to use! Or, I'll walk in a room and completely forget why I am there. LOL! It's pretty frustrating! I've always been a list-maker, so now I keep a shopping list on my phone because I kept forgetting to take my paper list with me!
I'm really hoping for a better year, stress-wise, next year and maybe my memory will come back?!
Old 09-09-2019, 05:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I feel like my memory is ok. I usually only tend to forget things when I'm overwhelmed with many things to remember.

But with kids I find that happens more than it used to. We use shared Google calendars for appts. concerts. and more

day to day, I use a lists on a notebook and my phone.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've always had a fabulous memory. I've had my share of 'mommy brain' but I wouldn't call those episodes memory issues exactly. More like I get distracted easily.

I was having some huge issues with memory and was starting to worry about it. Like I would write something down to do later and forget where I put the sticky note. I seemed to forget everything. This summer I started chiropractic care. Some disc degeneration and a reverse c-curve in my neck were discovered. He told me after my first adjustment that the brain fog and memory issues would start to go away. I hadn't admitted either to anyone. Apparently what I was experiencing was related to compression of the spinal cord. He's right, it did start to go away and I feel like my memory is back again!

Now, the brain can only hold so many things and keep them easily accessible. Names, for instance. We have 200 kids at school every year. I know all of their names. Each year half of those kids move on to another school and a new group moves in. Since I'm learning 100 new kids every year and not seeing the 100 old kids on a day to day basis, their names start to be harder to access. I will run into one of these kids in public and I can remember which teacher they had the previous year, who their best friend was and things like that, but their name will be somewhere, floating around in my brain just out of grasp. Sometimes I'll remember it after a few seconds, other times it doesn't come to me for days. So there are a lot of kids out there called 'sweetie'. Often I can recall their name within 30 seconds or so, but sometimes the encounters with these kids are rather brief so lots of times their name comes to me as they walk off. I always remember some little detail about them though. I think that makes them feel better than me calling them by name.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:01 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I am very forgetful.... my short term memory is not what it used to be... My kids and hubby all make fun of me for forgetting things. My long term memory is pretty good, especially with events that I have photographed and scrapped. My mommy brain sometimes just has so much going on with 4 kids and my extra littles.
As a family we all use the calendar on our iphones...kids events, work schedules, doctor appointments, sports...everything.
I have alarms on my phone for when kids need to leave for the bus and other items.
I'm also horrible at maintaining paperwork and filing. So is hubby so he piles it on my kitchen counter.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 09-11-2019, 08:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
I've always had a fabulous memory. I've had my share of 'mommy brain' but I wouldn't call those episodes memory issues exactly. More like I get distracted easily.

I was having some huge issues with memory and was starting to worry about it. Like I would write something down to do later and forget where I put the sticky note. I seemed to forget everything. This summer I started chiropractic care. Some disc degeneration and a reverse c-curve in my neck were discovered. He told me after my first adjustment that the brain fog and memory issues would start to go away. I hadn't admitted either to anyone. Apparently what I was experiencing was related to compression of the spinal cord. He's right, it did start to go away and I feel like my memory is back again!

Now, the brain can only hold so many things and keep them easily accessible. Names, for instance. We have 200 kids at school every year. I know all of their names. Each year half of those kids move on to another school and a new group moves in. Since I'm learning 100 new kids every year and not seeing the 100 old kids on a day to day basis, their names start to be harder to access. I will run into one of these kids in public and I can remember which teacher they had the previous year, who their best friend was and things like that, but their name will be somewhere, floating around in my brain just out of grasp. Sometimes I'll remember it after a few seconds, other times it doesn't come to me for days. So there are a lot of kids out there called 'sweetie'. Often I can recall their name within 30 seconds or so, but sometimes the encounters with these kids are rather brief so lots of times their name comes to me as they walk off. I always remember some little detail about them though. I think that makes them feel better than me calling them by name.
That is so interesting. Who would think that that would have anything to do with brain fog/memory. Glad it is improving for you.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wish I could forget things..... I always feel like I'm about to explode because I have everything in my head for myself, and everyone around me all the time. I've had to start forcing myself to brain dump (basically write everything out at the end of the night -- which I already have lists for most of it anyway, but it seems to be helping a little. Things I wish I would forget are a lot of conversations (mostly the bad ones of course).... I will go to bed and the conversation plays over and over for months on end (good or bad) and it really gets on my nerves.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm glad to see I'm alone in this