Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Am I going to be sad

if I switch from iPhone to an Android phone? (Or maybe another type of smartphone.)
Old 08-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

What a timely question! I just switched from my iphone 2 weeks ago to an Android! I went with the HTC Evo 4G. I'll admit that I miss my iphone because it was so easy to use. There was a bit of a learning curve with the droid just trying to figure out where everything was. Honestly though, I love my new phone and don't regret changing.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I thought I saw somewhere you saying you switched, Libby. What made you switch?

I'm glad to hear that you don't regret it though.

Did you keep your iPhone to use as an iPod Touch?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Jordan got the DroidX recently, and if Apple ever branches out he'll be getting an iPhone right away. He likes the way my iphone works and does things 10x's better than the Droid.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

I have got to get a new phone...mine is about toast and I really want a Droid.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My hubby just got a Droid... LOVES IT!!! He had an iTouch and really developed a dislike for iTunes... LOL! But he is a bit anti-apple to begin with.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Well I switched because of my plan. Since ATT is the only one that does iphone, and I needed to switch to my boyfriend's plan on Sprint (to save $$), I had to get a new phone. I actually didn't keep my iphone... I thought about it, but I ended up giving it to my daughter. Her dad said she could have it on their plan, so she's using it now!

It's still a little slow maneuvering around trying to remember where everything is, but I really like it. I really haven't even tapped into all it's capable of, so I'll be anxious to take some time and play a little more on it!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I love my Droid! I really wanted an iPhone but 2 weeks before I qualified to upgrade DH switched carriers! The droid doees everything an iphone does just about. I'm a little bummed I can't get the hipstamatic app but PhotoFx is really similar. I'm not 100% wild about Double Twist, which is the music app I use. iTunes is more intuitive but also much more of a PITA on my computer IMO. On the whole I am quite content with the exchange
Old 08-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

As a former BB girl, I'm looking at upgrading to the DriodX. I don't like AT&T so I won't get an Iphone. DriodX has what I want anyway, Iphone doesn't. :P (bring on the 8 mgpx camera!)
Old 08-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Glad to see this thread. I've been on BB for more years than I can count, back to when they were bricks, and the heaviest "cell" phone you could get that had messaging.

I February/March I'll be eligible to change plans or upgrade, and I really don't know which way I want to go. Everyone I've talked with that has an Iphone, loves the phone, but hates the coverage with their carrier. I don't have any problems with my carrier, and would rather not leave.

Now at least I know that I'm not dreaming a pie in the sky about the Droid.

Portfolios:
May June

Proud to be a Creative Team member for SusDesigns
Old 08-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I'm a diehard crackberry girl and I'm about 99% sure I'm switching to this in November....
Old 08-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

all you people and your crazy phones lol :P. I don't use a cell phone.. we have one. Its 7 years old. I don't text. Ever :P

OH! But I DO have an itouch and it is pretty cool
Old 08-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We just switched a month or so ago to the Droid Incredible and we love it!!! We used it on our trip to San Antonio and it came in so handy. We had just switched from our ancient, non-texting, basic BASIC phones so it was a big learning curve and pretty exciting!

I'm sure you'll have some re-learning to do coming from the Iphone and there will be apps that you'll miss initially but the nice thing about Droid is that there is always opportunity for someone else to make an app that does the same thing. Plus you aren't tied to a single carrier or site (itunes) for things. And we've gotten GREAT reception everywhere we've gone for our Verizon phones so that is good.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i can't answer. i have an ancient flip phone. lol.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:51 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to purple_colourz

I have an iphone then my dad gave me a bb for my birthday, I tried using it but it was a little frustrating trying to find where everything is so I gave it to DH instead. Now I have the iphone 4 and I really can't see myself using another phone anytime soon, I just love how easy it is to use an iphone and it keeps my daughter entertained too.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I absolutely LOVE my droid....I thought I never would because I had always dreamed of getting an Iphone. But it has been a blast finding out all the things that this phone could do and if MouseWait would develop a droid app, then I would put away my Itouch forever. My dh has the Droid X - which is absolutely awesome and I threaten to take it from him all the time because he so does not use it to its full potential but then it does not have a keyboard like mine does...lol! You won't regret it and yes there is a learning curve but here are a few sites that are really helpful to learn about your phone and also how to customize it or fix problems you may have:

Android Central
Droid Forums
Droid Apps - a blog that gives reviews of new apps in the market. If you like what they are showing, just use your barcode scanner app on your phone and take a picture of the QR code there and it will automatically take you to the app to download it for your enjoyment.
Launcher Pro - this is an actual app you can download to your phone that customizes basic things on your phone and they have a forum filled with lots of ideas of how to take your customization to a new level on your phone along with great tips on apps to make your life easier.

None of the forums you have to join - you can just browse on your own when you have time....lol.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

thx, Darla, I will check out those sites.

I think if I had gone from basic phone to an Android phone I'd be okay.

I just don't know if I will like going from iPhone to an Android phone. And there are too many Android phone choices. I do not deal well with an abundance of choice.

Maybe I should look at Blackberry too?

Best thing would be that in November, Verizon announces that there will be a Verizon iPhone! Let me dream ...
Old 08-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meems View Post

I just don't know if I will like going from iPhone to an Android phone. And there are too many Android phone choices. I do not deal well with an abundance of choice.

Best thing would be that in November, Verizon announces that there will be a Verizon iPhone! Let me dream ...
There have been lots of rumors of iPhone being available on Verizon! We're up in December, so we're dreaming for an announcement then.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm getting the new Blackberry Torch in TWO DAYSSSS and I can't wait.

But, here's my standing advice when people are trying to decide which phone is best for them. I preface this by telling you that my husband is a mobile software developer, and hence has phones on every platform, so I've had the opportunity to play with them all extensively.

If you use your phone mostly for messaging, get the Blackberry.

If you use your phone mostly for apps, get the iPhone.

If neither of those is more important than the other, get an Android.

IMO, BB has the best messaging platform, iPhone has the best apps, and the Android is 2nd best at both of those.

I use mine almost exclusively for messaging, and am very happy with the BB. My husband has the Google Nexus phone, and is happy with it. He also has an iPod Touch that he uses for apps.

We are equal opportunity electronics buyers. lol
Old 08-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Reading all the rumors the past few months - my thought or hunch is that it may be January before some kind of announcement comes out. The date keeps changing and I just have resolved myself to maybe sometime in 2011...lol. The only thing that makes me wonder though is Verizon has quite a bit going in the next few months as far as android phones - the Droid 2 coming out this week and then the Droid Pro in November/December that has a 1.3GHz CPU, 4″ screen and global roaming capabilities. It will run the new Android 3.0 system and then in February 2011, there is a new tablet similar to the Ipad due out. That is a lot for people to choose from and then a possible Iphone - wow! The only thing that makes me nervous though is the talk of limiting the data plans similar to AT&T - which basically makes the droid phones no longer fun if you can't use all the data features!
Old 08-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie4b1g View Post

IMO, BB has the best messaging platform, iPhone has the best apps, and the Android is 2nd best at both of those.
Quick Question Angie,

Me and Man-o-my-dreams both have BBs. And we LOVED using the messenger. Now, his company has removed that capability, so we pretty much text like email. When you were talking about the best messaging platform, were you talking about BB Messenger?

Thanks..
Old 08-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Not specifically just the BB one, I just mean as far as messaging goes over all. The notification system is good, the sms platform is good, bb messenger is good. I use Google Talk on mine, as well.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

We LOVE our Droids! We both have Incredibles.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Yes there are a lot of Android phones, but coming from a iPhone I would chose an Incredible or a DroidX since they both don't have physical keyboards which you are used to and better processors/cameras than the iphone you are currently using. Now between those two, its hard to say without you actually holding them. The DroidX is too big for me to hold and use as a phone but doesn't bother other people. So for that I'd go into a BB and hold them, play with them and see if the size is an issue for you.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I went from a BB Storm to the Incredible. I loved my BB, but the Incredible is SO much better... it only took a week or so for me to get used to the change, too.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You guys are so informed! This cracks me up. I am a long time BB faithful(I think I am on my 5th one) and my plan is up. I was thinking of going iPhone, then came across this thread today and now am leaning towards a Droid of some sort!

Does anyone know if the Droid cheaper to operate than the BB?
Old 08-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the tmobile mytouch and I love it. I love all the apps you can put on it and a lot of them are free!!

~~Siggie by Laura (emmasmommy)~~
Old 08-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

The Droid X and Incredible are actually better, faster phones than the iPhone with LOADS of better features, but the interface is much different.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:56 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

My sister has had the iphone for about 2 years, loved it untill about 2 months ago. It is searching constantly, drops call all the time. She called at&t and they said they have changed some lines or some bull and that the problem will be resolved soon. We were shopping the other day and she couldnt use her phone all day and had to use my droid phone. Her son has the iphone also and loves my phone sooo much more than the iphone. So I think you will love the android version, just give it time. I like that I can tether it and get internet on my laptop anywhere i have coverage with my cell, it is like a mobile hotspot.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I got the Verizon Droid when it first came out last November, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It's had its issues, but Verizon has taken care of it and replaced it for me. I absolutely adore the integration with Google especially - the Google Nav (maps) software is incredible! And the voice control is pretty cool, even though my house is so noisy I rarely get a chance to use it! More and more companies are coming out with Android apps finally, which I think was the biggest negative for a while (Apple had all the apps). Anyway, I love the smooth touch-screen control and the nice camera on mine too. Droid all the way
Old 08-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

with verizon do you have to pay more for stuff like visual voicemail, tethering?
Old 08-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Not those two. There are some pay for apps of course but I've only used the free ones.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I had the BB before my iPhone, and I loved it - until I had the iPhone for a week and realized its not even really comparable. I did like having a keypad though, I'm still slow at texting on the touch screen.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Welp, I finally broke down and switched to Verizon yesterday. DH and I got Samsung Fascinates. I'm getting used to it I think. I still think the iPhone is more elegant (can't think of a better word) to use but it was kind of nice to be able to talk to my sister on the phone and actually hear her .

I really wish that Bejeweled Blitz were available on Android. I need to remind myself weekly that I am just a very mediocre Bejeweled Blitz player by seeing how I rank against my FB friends.

I'm looking for a task list/to do list app. Any suggestions?
Old 12-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the Samsung Fascinate and I love it. I think you'll love your phone, Mimi. Good choice.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Welp, I finally broke down and switched to Verizon yesterday. DH and I got Samsung Fascinates. I'm getting used to it I think. I still think the iPhone is more elegant (can't think of a better word) to use but it was kind of nice to be able to talk to my sister on the phone and actually hear her .

I really wish that Bejeweled Blitz were available on Android. I need to remind myself weekly that I am just a very mediocre Bejeweled Blitz player by seeing how I rank against my FB friends.

I'm looking for a task list/to do list app. Any suggestions?
There's a mock Bejeweled called Jewels. You won't rank with your friends, but it's still fun.

I haven't used a to-do list app much. The one I had, I don't have anymore... I can't even remember what it's called. Sorry! If you search for "to do list" it brings up a bunch with comments & ratings, though.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett View Post
Well I switched because of my plan. Since ATT is the only one that does iphone, and I needed to switch to my boyfriend's plan on Sprint (to save $$), I had to get a new phone.
Libby, hun, does your husband know about this boyfriend? Still getting used to it?
Old 12-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki View Post
Libby, hun, does your husband know about this boyfriend? Still getting used to it?
LOL! She posted that before they became Mr. & Mrs.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila View Post
LOL! She posted that before they became Mr. & Mrs.
Ah this is true....well okay then....moving right along. Nothing to see here folks. LOL
Old 12-12-2010, 05:31 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to jocelinsmommy

Hubby has an Iphone and I have a BB Tourch ...I love my Tourch and frankly the only thing the Iphone has is more apps other than that..my fat fingers enjoy the auctual keyboard that comes with the BB unlike the Iphones Touch screen Just my lil ol 2cents

Old 12-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love my DroidX. I had the original Motorola Droid, but it wasn't fast enough and I had a hard time getting my emails on it. I gave that one to my son and upgraded to the HTC Incredible. I hated that phone and returned it within the 30 days and got the DroidX. I LOVE it! I'm with Verizon and I won't switch from them...I know it's a possibility that the iPhone will be avail next year. One thing I've heard that iPhones have is a camera on the front, so you can do live chatting with the camera...kind of like skype? I have friends that have the iPhone, but none of them have done that.

There is still so much about my phone I need to learn though. My brother has a Droid and we were playing with our phones all night when I was visiting. We were both downloading different apps that each of us knew about and sharing info. I think with anything, there's a learning curve. If you don't like the phone you got...make sure and take it back within the 30 days and try another though!