Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2011, 04:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default NSBR: Medic Alert Bracelet for Kids?

Hey
Does anyone have a good place to get medic alert bracelets for kids? You guys seem to be in the know for everything!
Old 02-05-2011, 04:21 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We like these... http://fiddledeeids.com/silicone-med...lets-c-16.html My dd loses them constantly so we like that these are super inexpensive.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:29 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

OH! that reminds me..I need to get one for Connor as we found out he's allergic to penicillin. Thanks for that link!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the reminder. I have not gotten DS a medical alert bracelet yet (he's 4 and has a peanut allergy) and have meant to, but the ones I saw were so expensive and I wasn't sure if he'd wear them.

I got the silicone ones for Parent's Night Out at the YMCA since he is in a big group of kids and it is bright orange!

I also got the cloth one you can put the info inside. I just don't think he'd wear a metal one yet.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

I was going to say I could find out from one of my student's parents, but it looks like SSDers have you covered!
Old 02-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks! That site is great and has a good selection for boys too! He was not too keen on the standard one and they have some that he will find cool.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Please please look at this site:

http://www.medicalert.org/

Read all about the site ... if you have someone you love with a medical condition ... please consider this site. If your loved one is not with you at the time of a medical emergency (at school ... at work ... live far away) ... how will you know they have been taken to a hospital if all they have is a generic bracelet???

I have a lot of allergies to medications ... they are printed on my bracelet along with an identification number ... medical personnel call the number collect and give the number and the medic alert people can access valuable medical information such as the type of medicines they are taking, any special allergies or conditions, give them the name and phone number of the doctor(s) that treat the person ...AND they will NOTIFY the family member(s) listed on the medical form!!!

Can any of the other "bracelets" do this? Maybe they can ... I just want you to know that I use this service for me and all 3 of my boys!!

I originally got the bracelet for my oldest when he was 2 years old ... he was a runner and even though we had those tethered bracelets ... he would just suddenly take off running and they would snap and I would lose him!! I got him a bracelet so he could be identified if ever I didn't catch him. Well ... he has grown up now ...he probably wore that bracelet until he turned 20 ... my 16yo didn't care for the initial bracelet and goes in spurts on when he wears it ... but he really needs to because of the medications he takes ... and could have some problems in an emergency situation if they didn't know what he took.....

It's kind of a "peace of mind" ... and I love how I can call them and update any medications on any of us at any time ... emergency personnel will be able to know everything they need to know to be able to treat us ...
Old 02-06-2011, 02:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks, Sharon!
I always wish that we lived closer! You know everything!
Old 02-06-2011, 02:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dreamer View Post
Thanks, Sharon!
I always wish that we lived closer! You know everything!
You are welcome Robin. I'm as close as your keyboard!

I worry about my allergies to so many medications ... my allergist told me to get a medic alert bracelet and keep it updated ... she said you never know when the time will be that it can become serious or life threatening (which to me ... life threatening is serious ... but I knew what she meant). ...and I have actually used the bracelet to PROVE to an NON-BELIEVER in the medical field that I actually did have an allergy to all of those medications (they wanted to give me a dose of one of them)!

I wish I could convince my mother to get one ... even if to wear the necklace under her blouse ... she has heart stents, takes MANY MANY medications, and now she lives so far away ... I'd never know if something happened to her unless her bff happened to be with her when it happened and the bff called me.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the information Sharon Kay.

So far we have no allergies to meds and only take Allegra on temporary basis. So I think for now we are good with the generic ones. My main concern is someone accidentally giving DS something to eat with peanuts when I'm not there, so the more obvious orange one was what I needed right now. And the write on one has enough space to list what we need.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have an interactive Road ID. Interactive meaning that I store my info online and there's a number to access the info on the Road ID. $10/year.

They also have regular ones with the info right on the ID.

Not sure about kid sizing though. They have great customer service.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprauncey1 View Post
Thanks for the information Sharon Kay.

So far we have no allergies to meds and only take Allegra on temporary basis. So I think for now we are good with the generic ones. My main concern is someone accidentally giving DS something to eat with peanuts when I'm not there, so the more obvious orange one was what I needed right now. And the write on one has enough space to list what we need.
I have a neighbor whose child has a peanut allergy and it can be life threatening ... not sure if your child's is that severe or not. Nice thing on the medic alert is that if he would be given peanuts when you weren't around (he'd be wearing a bracelet ... and they have a bright colored sport band one...and you can have peanut allergy engraved on it) ... if medical personnel was called ... they would be able to call in and immediately have access to his medical information including doctor(s) name/number, and as many contact phone numbers as you want to have listed ... I like the idea of them having phone numbers to contact me, dh, and grandma if something happens.