Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default What is your biggest pet peeve?

Mine is crunching or eating loudly. People who crunch ice, or chew with their mouth open, or make those weird crunchy slurpy noises, or eat loud foods in meetings/class/movies.

This one girl in my marketing class brings a very crunchy food every week. Last time, it was a bag of the rye crisps from chex mix. This week, carrots. And, to top it off, she has NO idea how to close her freakin' mouth. Which means that crunch crunch crunch is even LOUDER.

What's yours?

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 02-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

omg...you would not like to sit next too me cuase DH says I chew loud...even with my mouth shut!

mine would be {now that I have a new house} stuff on the steps!!! I always put things to go upstairs on the steps and NOBODY gets the hint to pick it up and take it with them! So I end up usually doing it when I am tired of lookign at it!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I think mine are all driving related...but people who don't use their blinkers and expect me to know what they're doing gets me the most. That and following me too closely. My car got totaled when I was rear-ended a couple of years ago and I'm still careful about it.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:45 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I have a long, LONG list of pet peeves and could never narrow it down to just one. Let's just say . . . people bug me. Yep, that about covers it. LOL.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:46 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I apologize in advance if I offend anyone, but...

There are 2 grammatical/English usage errors that people make that drive me insane:
1. I can't stand when people over-correct for I vs. me. For example, when people say "Between you and I" or "Please forward a copy of that to he and I." In fact, it's "between you and me" and "Please forward a copy to him and me." I just don't understand why people can't get it. I've even heard news anchors use it incorrectly, for crying out loud! And they're journalists... they're supposed to have a command of the English language.

2. It makes me crazy when people write would of, should of, could of, must of, etc. It's would have, should have, could have, must have. I completely get that the error comes from the fact that when we speak we say would've, should've, could've, must've. It makes me crazy anyway, though.

OK, end of grammar lesson. Stepping down off my soap-box now.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Banned

profile gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarbox View Post
I have a long, LONG list of pet peeves and could never narrow it down to just one. Let's just say . . . people bug me. Yep, that about covers it. LOL.
Yep that's the sum of it!!

One thing that DRIVES me nuts is ear wax!! I don't know why I notice it but drives me insane!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
This.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 02-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsMomJo View Post

There are 2 grammatical/English usage errors that people make that drive me insane:
1. I can't stand when people over-correct for I vs. me. For example, when people say "Between you and I" or "Please forward a copy of that to he and I." In fact, it's "between you and me" and "Please forward a copy to him and me." I just don't understand why people can't get it. I've even heard news anchors use it incorrectly, for crying out loud! And they're journalists... they're supposed to have a command of the English language.

2. It makes me crazy when people write would of, should of, could of, must of, etc. It's would have, should have, could have, must have. I completely get that the error comes from the fact that when we speak we say would've, should've, could've, must've. It makes me crazy anyway, though.

Also, this. I freak out over grammar.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 02-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm with ya on the grammar! I hate, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate it when people say they are 'nauseous' instead of 'nauseated'. 'Nauseous' is an adjective, so if you say you're 'nauseous' that means you nauseate other people.

GARH!

Also, the word is 'cousin' NOT 'cousint'.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:05 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Quote:

Yes - these are both on my list, for sure!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
yup. pretty much.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post
I'm with ya on the grammar! I hate, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate it when people say they are 'nauseous' instead of 'nauseated'. .
I am big on grammer, too, but I am not gonna lie, I have never heard of this word being used. lol

Old 02-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

whistling. not sure why, but I hate it.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutmeg View Post
I think mine are all driving related...but people who don't use their blinkers and expect me to know what they're doing gets me the most. That and following me too closely.
Oh totally this!! People talking on a cellphone (bluetooth is okay) or texting while driving is another that really t's me off!!! People who can't park between the two lines in the lot (this is pointed to you that go to my church!!) People who don't know how to use round abouts or know how to merge onto a 4 lane highway. Doing u-turns at stop lights (if you are in Wisconsin, it's illegal people!) People who don't pull over when emergency vehicles with lights on are coming by you.

Yeah... there is a reason why I don't drive much and when I do I'm so annoyed!!!

The one thing that is non-driving related that I have a pet peeve of is when cupboards or drawers aren't closed all the way... my hubby does this a lot.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

People who don't know better than to bug me.

Seriously though,

Typos from people who should be checking things, like on restaurant menus and in digi ads. Just type it out in Word first and then paste it. Apostrophes particularly send me reeling.

Bad grammar as mentioned above. Another that bugs me: For all intensive purposes. Wrong. It's for all intents and purposes.

Random humming without a tune in mind. I did a layout about this last year. Goes for whistling too.

Cell phones in movie theaters. I can see your screen. And if you need to be checking it every 5 minutes, perhaps a movie is not where you are supposed to be.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i have lots. i can't narrow it down to just one

Old 02-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knlchevys View Post
Yep that's the sum of it!!

One thing that DRIVES me nuts is ear wax!! I don't know why I notice it but drives me insane!
I am so glad to know I am not alone in the ear wax thing. Totally gags me out. I drive my family crazy with frequent checks of the ears. I really should have been an ENT dr.

I have many but the few that come to mind....smacking lips, chew gum with open mouth (looks like a cow eating grass), car: someone speeding up to get ahead of me and then slowing WAY down once they are in front of me, people who don't have any manners and inconsiderate to others.......oh boy...lots coming to mind. I better just stop now. LOL
Old 02-22-2011, 10:30 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriesmom View Post
Typos from people who should be checking things, like on restaurant menus and in digi ads. Just type it out in Word first and then paste it. Apostrophes particularly send me reeling.

Bad grammar as mentioned above. Another that bugs me: For all intensive purposes. Wrong. It's for all intents and purposes.
I am so with you on the apostrophes. There are no apostrophes in plural words. Oh, that makes me nuts!

Don't forget:
Irregardless - No such word
The spitting image - Images don't spit. It's "the spit and image."

Old 02-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

A lot of mine are due to improper use of grammar, spelling stuff, etc. It particularly annoys me when businesses put out ads and they have major errors in them. This also goes for business pages on facebook. It drives me insane. I can forgive regular people on facebook and the like for making errors, but if you're promoting a business, you need to be more professional. Gah.

defiantly... this has a very different meaning than definitely
WHY is it so hard for people to learn the difference between your & you're? Or there, their, and they're?!
Also, improper use of apostrophes.

One thing that drives me nuts is when I see an ad/billboard advertising a 99¢ burger except they put .99¢ -
It's either $0.99 OR 99¢... if you say your burger is .99¢ then that means it's just under a penny.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!

Last edited by Megan Turnidge; 02-22-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I also hate when people don't use any punctuation when they post online... creating long, run-on sentences that take me forever to figure out. You don't need perfect punctuation, but use a few periods and commas here and there. My hubby doesn't use any punctuation... thankfully, he doesn't post too much on facebook. haha He sent me an email when we were dating that was like this: "megan i love you and im so excited were getting married cant wait to be your husband love tyrel" *snort*

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:39 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

my pet peeves are people that don't use enough exclamation points! Come on people, get happy!! Break out that awesome shift-1 key combo and show your excitement!

just kidding of course... but hey, I love me some exclamation points
Old 02-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
my pet peeves are people that don't use enough exclamation points! Come on people, get happy!! Break out that awesome shift-1 key combo and show your excitement!

From one fellow exclamation point over user to another....AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

People (meaning my husband) who are always 10 minutes late...seriously...set the alarm earlier?!?!

Old 02-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Ill just say people in general....because lately people have not been real high on my like list

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 02-22-2011, 11:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I work with someone who hiccups.....ALL DAY LONG.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I noticed I starting putting exclamation points in my emails at work. Not the image I want as an attorney!!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post
I'm with ya on the grammar! I hate, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate it when people say they are 'nauseous' instead of 'nauseated'. 'Nauseous' is an adjective, so if you say you're 'nauseous' that means you nauseate other people.

GARH!

Also, the word is 'cousin' NOT 'cousint'.
i had to go look this up - LOL - because i never use the term 'nauseated' - i always say that i feel nauseous. i think i'm OK based on this definition ... i hope so!

nau·seous   
[naw-shuhs, -zee-uhs] Show IPA
–adjective
affected with nausea; nauseated: to feel nauseous.
causing nausea; sickening; nauseating.
disgusting; loathsome: a nauseous display of greed.
Origin:
1595–1605; < Latin nauseōsus. See nausea, -ous

—Related forms
nau·seous·ly, adverb
nau·seous·ness, noun

—Can be confused:  nauseated, nauseous (see usage note at the current entry ).

—Synonyms
3. revolting, nasty, repellent, abhorrent, detestable, despicable, offensive.

—Antonyms
3. delightful.

—Usage note
The two literal senses of nauseous, “causing nausea” ( a nauseous smell ) and “affected with nausea” ( to feel nauseous ), appear in English at almost the same time in the early 17th century, and both senses are in standard use at the present time. Nauseous is more common than nauseated in the sense “affected with nausea,” despite recent objections by those who imagine the sense to be new. In the sense “causing nausea,” either literally or figuratively, nauseating has become more common than nauseous : a nauseating smell.

my biggest pet peeves are 1) when people end a sentence with 'at' and 2) when people don't use capital letters when they type haha - i know that the no-caps things is really annoying - but i just cannot bring myself to use the shift key. it's like that when i write too ... i think i was introduced to e.e. cummings at an impressionable age

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

One of my biggest pet peeves is people who look through rose colored glasses with their kids. There is a lady in my church that does this. Her kids NEVER do any wrong and when they do, she blames everyone else. For instance, her 16 year old son got caught having sex with a cheerleader on a recent school trip and now she's telling everyone that he was seduced. She can't admit that her son is a complete pervert. He's tried to cop a feel on my 16 year old daughter more than once.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:48 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

In defense of everyone in the universe, or at least everyone that was in my english class in highschool..
Apparently I was taught this lesson incorrectly. I remember it specifically (oddly enough) because I thought it was idiotic to ALWAYS use I... That was the rule we were taught essentially. That it was never so and so and ME..it was always and I.
So I looked up the proper rule.. And it's only so and so and I when it's the subject rather than the object of the verb/preposition. *phew* I'm glad to know now.. that i was correct all those years ago thinking it sounded stupid
Old 02-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think you can add me to the list of "annoyed by people" list.
One is forefront in my mind today though...
People who refuse to "hurry" if the situation calls for some dang hurrying. My husband is especially guilty of this...GET THE LEAD OUT...I don't have time to wait around for your booty...but guess I'm gonna have to since you have to come with me...
Old 02-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yeah loud eating is annoying. What drives me crazy is my husbands nose. When he blows it, or sneezes he is so dang loud. I hate it.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Hmmm, let's see.

Not putting dishes in the dishwasher. If you can get up and put them on the counter on TOP of the dishwasher, you're more than capable of putting them IN the dishwasher. (The excuse is ALWAYS "I'll do it later", which never happens, which means I take care of it. Every. Single. Night.)

The complete disregard and or misuse of the blinker/directional. I almost got into a huge accident last weekend because some moron in the wrong lane thought that because he had put on his directional I HAD to let him in, and cutting me off was a perfectly acceptable way to make that happen. That's not how it works. The directional means "hey, I'd like to move over WHEN IT IS SAFE TO DO SO, and I'm just letting everyone know that", not "stop driving and let me in because I am more important than you". Let's not even get started on people who don't even bother using the directional.

There are so many more, those are just the 2 at the top of my list this morning I think, lol.

Oh, and I was totally taught the whole me vs I thing in the same way La was. It was ALWAYS I, never me. I know NOW that it's wrong, but it's a hard habit to break, lol.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to g6scrapped

I have a ton too. I think my biggest would be people not knowing when to just keep their mouths shut though haha.

I really get annoyed when people feel the need to make fun of movies, books, singers, etc nonstop. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that everyone doesn't like it. There's no reason you need to make fun of their choice of entertainment, just keep your mouth shut.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to g6scrapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren grier View Post
In defense of everyone in the universe, or at least everyone that was in my english class in highschool..
Apparently I was taught this lesson incorrectly. I remember it specifically (oddly enough) because I thought it was idiotic to ALWAYS use I... That was the rule we were taught essentially. That it was never so and so and ME..it was always and I.
So I looked up the proper rule.. And it's only so and so and I when it's the subject rather than the object of the verb/preposition. *phew* I'm glad to know now.. that i was correct all those years ago thinking it sounded stupid
That's weird you were taught wrong. I was always taught to remove the 'person and' part of the sentence to see if it should be I or me.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6scrapped View Post
That's weird you were taught wrong. I was always taught to remove the 'person and' part of the sentence to see if it should be I or me.
that's how i was taught too.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
This.

My pet peeve is anything that inconveniences me. It's selfish, I know, but when you get old like me, shaking your fist at those kids in your yard seems to be the only way to deal with it LOL

I'm realizing, as I get older, my peeves are those things that really are inconveniences to me (even if in my head). If you bug me in any fashion, you are now a pet peeve. If you DO something that bugs me, it's a pet peeve.

The biggest? Hmm......not bothering to look at me when I'm speaking to you.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My little sister gets a cold almost every month (she's been living with us).. instead of blowing her nose, she sniffles every. single. time. she. breathes. in.! It drives me absolutely NUTS! I keep telling her she needs to just blow her nose, but she insists it won't help. OMG! lol

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 02-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
i have lots. i can't narrow it down to just one
People who can't make a decision bug me
Old 02-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My #1 pet peeve is when people chomp their ice. Or food. Or chips. Or anything that has to do with loud eating. It grates on my nerves. Like I want to stab you in the eye grates on my nerves. And yes, my husband does the ice chomping thing constantly.

Following close behind is people that seem to have no grasp of the English language. Mixing up their/there/they're, your/you're, etc., and one I've noticed a lot on FB lately, sell/sale. It's not that difficult to get right people; my 8 year old has it figured out!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
One of my biggest pet peeves is people who look through rose colored glasses with their kids. There is a lady in my church that does this. Her kids NEVER do any wrong and when they do, she blames everyone else. For instance, her 16 year old son got caught having sex with a cheerleader on a recent school trip and now she's telling everyone that he was seduced. She can't admit that her son is a complete pervert. He's tried to cop a feel on my 16 year old daughter more than once.

you crack me up Paula!

But I agree with those who act like their kids are perfect. My older sister does this all the time. Her son is a year younger than my son, and everytime he comes over he'll grab a toy out of my son's hand, so when my son gets upset about it and tries to take the toy back, he'll cry and say that it's being taken away from him. Then my sister will be like, "Gunner (to my son) don't take that away from him" and I have to say, "No, he took it from Gunner to begin with, he's just trying to get it back!" My sister thinks my nephew is a perfect angel when he sometimes just hauls off and hits my son for no reason. Argh..

Old 02-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6scrapped View Post
Ditto. I always get it right following that rule.

Hahaha, people who are "always right" irritate me!

Old 02-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelsscraps View Post
My little sister gets a cold almost every month (she's been living with us).. instead of blowing her nose, she sniffles every. single. time. she. breathes. in.! It drives me absolutely NUTS! I keep telling her she needs to just blow her nose, but she insists it won't help. OMG! lol
Gonna say this...it doesn't always help. Sometimes the sniffling is an automatic reaction to not being able to breath, and if your nasal passages are swollen, you 'feel' stopped up, but there is no mucous to blow out. My mom was like you, and was always on us to blow, and it drove me nuts when I couldn't explain that it was slightly involuntary. I even went to show her, often, when there was non-productive blowing going on LOL

Granted, she can try to control the sniffing, but it is hard.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
People who can't make a decision bug me
hhahaha
you bug me woman

i am horrible about not making decisions though. drives my husband nuts.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:46 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
My pet peeve is anything that inconveniences me. It's selfish, I know, but when you get old like me, shaking your fist at those kids in your yard seems to be the only way to deal with it LOL
Ha, ha... I did this when I was 25!!! In my first house the neighbor kids were always skateboarding in my driveway at night - totally ticked me off! I was constantly yelling at them to get off my property or I was calling the cops!! Outside of just being rude and not playing in their OWN yard... I didn't want to be sued if they got hurt on my property. And it hasn't gotten any better... I'm going to be known as that cranky old lady who lives on the corner (oh who am I fooling, I am probably already known as that).... "dag nabbit - you whipper snappers get off my lawn!"
Old 02-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

So many text-speak abbreviations drive me insane.
I just saw "c-u-m" instead of "come" and gagged, and then wanted to slap the person.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Ha, ha... I did this when I was 25!!! In my first house the neighbor kids were always skateboarding in my driveway at night - totally ticked me off! I was constantly yelling at them to get off my property or I was calling the cops!! Outside of just being rude and not playing in their OWN yard... I didn't want to be sued if they got hurt on my property. And it hasn't gotten any better... I'm going to be known as that cranky old lady who lives on the corner (oh who am I fooling, I am probably already known as that).... "dag nabbit - you whipper snappers get off my lawn!"
On my gosh, so I'm not the only one! I live on a corner lot and everyone thinks it's okay play in our yard, walk all over it and let their dogs do their business in the middle of our yard (by the street I get, but in the middle?!). DH laughed at me for asking the kids to not play in our yard...and for the record, I'm only 24!
Old 02-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Well, you ought to like ME then, because I use a boatload of them! I have been criticized for using too many, but I just can't help it!!

Almost all my pet peeves have already been mentioned . . . the nauseous/nauseated, the apostrophes, the objective & subjective pronouns - ARGH! I could go on forever. Must admit I've never heard of "cousint" before this thread.

And I may offend some folks here, but texting while driving is absolutely my main one . . . it is just soooo dangerous, and I cannot understand why ANYONE feels the need to do it! Nothing is important enough to put lives at risk, and IMO there should be a federal law against it (classified as a felony). Studies have shown that it is considerably more likely to cause a serious accident than drunk driving is. It's actually more than a pet peeve - it's just plain WRONG!!

LOL! Now I'm off MY soapbox . . .

My Blog: Quantum Leaps
Old 02-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

OK I am in a crabby mood today but you know what? Some people DO NOT know the difference between their they're and there. My husband is an absolute genius when it comes to fixing anything. We never have to call a repairman and he never makes me feel stupid because I do not understand something about plumbing or wiring or construction or the car. He will take as much time as needed to explain it to me. And never gets annoyed because it comes so simple to him but might not to another person. But he CANNOT write for a darn. Does not know punctuation. Uses semi-colons, commas and periods in random places. Does not spell well. Will use there for all three. It does not bother me. It also does not bother me when I see other people doing it because MAYBE they do NOT know the difference and just do not write well. So my pet peeve for the day is for people who cannot tolerate people who do not have a good grasp on the use or words and punctuation because they simply are not good at it. The way I look at it if I CAN UNDERSTAND what they are telling me thats good enough. After living with my husband who I believe has a learning disability and my son who has been diagnosed with a learning disability and seeing how difficult writing is for both of them picking on little things like that to me is hurtful.

AT least it is hurtful to me FOR those I love who are known to offend many of the things listed on here

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by jessica31876; 02-23-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Gonna say this...it doesn't always help. Sometimes the sniffling is an automatic reaction to not being able to breath, and if your nasal passages are swollen, you 'feel' stopped up, but there is no mucous to blow out. My mom was like you, and was always on us to blow, and it drove me nuts when I couldn't explain that it was slightly involuntary. I even went to show her, often, when there was non-productive blowing going on LOL

Granted, she can try to control the sniffing, but it is hard.
When she WOULD blow her nose though, it would help. lol. But I told her to try to breathe with her mouth open but she wouldn't, so I told her I was going to make her sit there with a straw in her mouth... after that she started breathing with her mouth open! hahaha! That ended her annoying sniffling!

Old 02-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelsscraps View Post
When she WOULD blow her nose though, it would help. lol. But I told her to try to breathe with her mouth open but she wouldn't, so I told her I was going to make her sit there with a straw in her mouth... after that she started breathing with her mouth open! hahaha! That ended her annoying sniffling!
Ya gotta be careful, though - if she gets in too much of a habit of breathing through her mouth all the time, she'll become one of those annoying "mouth-breathers" - lol!

My Blog: Quantum Leaps